Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summit of the Americas not going so well!!

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 19:50

Secret Service recalled amid allegations of prostitution. Perceived US neglect of Latin America. Seems like the summit hasn't gone so well for the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summit of the Americas not going so well!!

Well, that's not good. NBC seems to have some pretty comprehensive coverage on this; unusual for the MSM, IMO...

o

The continuing embargo against Cuba is the problem - good luck changing that. That's been a given for the GOP for decades, not that the Democrats are crazy courageous on the issue.

Many countries in Latin America have elected left and left-leaning governments, and they're inclined to pursue their own interests rather than follow the lead of the U.S. Interesting that Columbia is breaking with the U.S. over the Cuba embargo.

At a press conference with Santos, Obama responded to a question about Cuba by saying that while his administration has eased travel by Cuban Americans to Cuba, the Cuban government had not taken steps toward democracy and "has not yet observed basic human rights."

When has not observing basic human rights ever stopped the U.S. from making common cause with a right-wing dictatorship in Latin America? We're usually training their officer corps, and happy to do it. Ronald Reagan gladly provided military aid to the death-squad government(s) of El Salvador. Who needed to observe "basic human rights" then?

o

Mrs, that is your Secret Service, are you proud of their personal conduct in a foreign country?

As for the issue with Latin America, It's all about Cuba. So I gather that you and your fellow Republicans feel Cuba should be recognized and all relations reestablished. Can't wait to hear Romney say that.

By the way,Canada is also being chastised for the same position. It really is time to let that old grudge go.

o

By the way,Canada is also being chastised for the same position.

Really? I thought I saw clothing made in Cuba on sale in Montreal some years ago. When my husband traveled to Cuba, he went with a group that left from Canada. Visas were issued in Montreal; he recognized the Cuban consulate years later when we were walking past the once-sumptuous homes of the wealthy.

o
@@@@@@Summit of the Americas not going so well!!

Nancy, I wasn't clear. Canada has trade with Cuba and in fact Cuba is a very popular vacation spot for Canadians........you can even buy real Cuban cigars here!

Those policies have been in place since the Trudeau era.

Our current Prime Minister is opposed to admitting Cuba to the Summit of the Americas. That's why Latin America is ticked at both Canada and the US.

o

I heard several accounts that they were openly chastising the US about the 'war on drugs' - legalize it or do something because they're bearing the brunt of it.

o

That (drug legalization) seems to be an ongoing argument. Pros & cons; Stossel has been advocating legalization for years; O'Reilly is against it. Haven't heard much either way on the MSM, which I watch around 50% of the time.

Cuba is a beautiful country. If they are tourist-friendly, I'd visit.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 0:22

Stossel and O'Reilly, now there's a couple of the sharpest tools in the box.

o

Nice. Well, you know what they say: "takes one to know ...".

o

legalize it or do something because they're bearing the brunt of it.

I'm surprised there wasn't push back much sooner. Maybe the military hardware and training are no longer worth the trouble.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 6:14

....well one thing I can agree with, "some" Americans sure do hold a grudge. And yet we "trade" with Communist China and in fact have pretty much moved all of our industry and manufacturing into a RED country. Guess it is no longer "better dead than red" when it comes to GREEN.

Go figure...

o

But it seems that Hillary had a good time, security or not...

o

I'm sure glad they weren't gay!
You people are all sex crazed lol! :>)+

o

"I heard several accounts that they were openly chastising the US about the 'war on drugs' - legalize it or do something because they're bearing the brunt of it."

Interesting. I suspect there is collusion on both sides of the border and on down into South America for the US to keep doing exactly what it's doing (or not doing). The war on drugs is not working, which is probably the whole idea. That would help explain why our borders still are not secure over a decade after 911. We know dangerous people and drugs continue to come into the country undetected. Politicians must want it that way.

Everybody sit down. I am ready to try something different. I wonder how legalization could be any worse than what we have now.

o

Everybody sit down. I am ready to try something different. I wonder how legalization could be any worse than what we have now.

From a fiscal POV, legalizing marijuana will not only save some money spent from a law enforcement angle, but the revenue increase from taxing the sales of the drug and accessories will be a boost to the coffers. It can be taxed like cigarettes or alcohol.

And who knows, maybe if the tax on pot is implemented, there will be financial room to lower some other taxes.

Although personally, I'd vote for paying down the federal debt before giving tax breaks.

o

I would support the legalization of some drugs but not others. Not only could there be a lucrative new revenue stream but think about what it would do to lower the cost of trial and imprisonment.

Marijuana has been decriminalized in Canada for years and years. We seem to be managing it just fine!

o

Would we be able to create some definition like we do for alcohol when it comes to "driving under the influence"? Can we measure how much under the influence a marijuana smoker is?

o
Pot use

Marijuana has been decriminalized in Canada for years and years. We seem to be managing it just fine!

Marijuana has been decriminalized? No, I think those decriminalization bills failed.

Medical marijuana has been legalized, but I think marijuana use (without medical) has not been legalized nor decriminalized in Canada.

o
Tests

Can we measure how much under the influence a marijuana smoker is?

Place a bag of Doritos in front of the suspect. The time it takes for the suspect to grab the bag and start mowing down is directly proportional to how baked he is.

Seriously though, I think I read that it is possible for a to make a breathalyzer for pot but it's not something that is currently made or used in law enforcement. Currently, being stoned is not a crime. Possession of marijuana is the illegal action.

o

Although meth, cocaine, and heroin are more often in the news, my understanding is that marijuana is still the bread and butter of the cartels and smuggling operations - what was it, a few years ago.....they don't even bother to arrest the smugglers in AZ if its less than 500 lbs or something - just confiscate it and send the guy back over the border. Just too many of them.

o
)))))Summit of the Americas not going so well!!

Hamilton, the ruling last year struck down the criminal laws relative to possession of marijuana. However I misspoke it only dealt with the laws in Ontario, not all of Canada.

The basis for the decision was that it discriminated against people who wanted to use it for medicinal purposes but, because the government had not acted to make a separate law, the entire law relative to possession was struck down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Possession in Ontario

o

However I misspoke it only dealt with the laws in Ontario, not all of Canada.

Here's the catch:

The Criminal Code of Canada is federal, not provincial. While a provincial ruling can pave the way for a change in the Criminal Code, it does not actually change the Criminal Code.

At this point in time, the CCC has marijuana possession as an offence for which you recieve a criminal record.

o

Ah, you're facing the same problem in Ontario that we're facing in California with legalization of medical marijuana.

A ballot initiative to legalize marijuana was defeated with the highest percentage of 'no' votes coming from the pot-growing counties in California. Imagine that, scofflaw entrepeneurs voting their wallet!

o

Ham: "being stoned is not a crime." True, neither is being drunk. But operating while intoxicated is a crime, and includes driving while stoned--even on, say, cough syrup. The crime is the act of being intoxicated while in control of the motor vehicle, or while armed. Doesn't matter what you are intoxicated from.

I don't know about the pot breathalyzer, but a blood test will sure show the presence of THC or whatever trips that driver's trigger. :)

I can't see why legalizing pot could be wrong when alcohol is legal

o
Usage

"being stoned is not a crime." True, neither is being drunk. But operating while intoxicated is a crime, and includes driving while stoned--even on, say, cough syrup. The crime is the act of being intoxicated while in control of the motor vehicle, or while armed. Doesn't matter what you are intoxicated from.

That's true. You are impaired while under the influence of mj but they do not pursue it like they do for alcohol.

However, I believe if marijuana is legalized, they would start charging people more often for driving while under the influence of drugs.

o
Possession

Ah, you're facing the same problem in Ontario that we're facing in California with legalization of medical marijuana.

Legalities are always such a grey area.

In spite of that, most courts are not locking away people for marijuana possession here. Trafficking? Yes. But for simple possession they generally don't send you to jail unless you are a repeat offender or are being charged with other crimes in conjunction.

I get the impression that in the USA, having some personal use pot on you can get you locked up for a while. That may be a difference.

o

So, back to the OP. According to the news on the Today Show (which I watch each and every day), the main concern with the government personnel involved in this fiasco is not the use of prostitute(s) per se; it is the national security exposure because of having unauthorized personnel in proximity to classified material. you know--spies. For whatever reason: Obama's schedule, planting surveillance devices, blackmail, etc.

o

Chase, the OP was just about as neutral as it could be. Why the attack on mrskjun and Republicans in general? The Summit was nothing short of embarrassing for the President and the USA but I thought the OP was about the Secret Service scandal.

The Secret Service has always been the squeaky clean bastion of the best the nation can produce. While there have been individual agents who failed to live up to the SS code, this is the first time so many agents have failed common sense 101. They will likely lose their jobs at the least.

Combined with the demands for admission of Cuba and dropping trade sanctions and embargoes continued by both parties and the other demands of our neighbors to the south, it was probably the worst attack on USA policy in the Americas since the Cuban missile crisis. Who knows, maybe if he wins the election the President will accede to their demands about Cuba. He would lose Florida if he did it now.Cuba is not exactly friendly to the US except when it comes to getting enough money from ex-pats to boost their economy. But maybe it would be a nice parting gift for Castro.

I am too conflicted about drug legalization to have an opinion, I've never understood a willingness to give so much control of yourself to a drug although I expect the President is not that upset at the idea of legalization. But that will come after the election as well.

o

The Colorado legislature was dealing with the driving issue recently - what concentration of THC in the blood is safe for driving? The cops were not enthused about legal grass, the main reason because this pretty much would double their work with intoxicated driving.

The legislature kicked the can down the road.

o

Sleepless, I'm sorry you saw my post as an attack on Mrs, and absolutely baffled how you could extrapolate that to be against all republicans.

I was simply trying to understand if Mrs had an opinion on what she posted. Evidently not........

o

Of course I have an opinion, when have I not lol? It was an embarrassment to the US. A danger to the president. And these yahoos should be fired. As well as an investigation to find out if this was an isolated incident or "the norm".

As far as the Latin American countries, I have to admit, I don't have a deep enough knowledge to know whether we should lift the embargo on Cuba or not.

o

Mrs: in the past the US has had its way over South American affairs with strong arm tactics and have pushed Cuba off the agenda. This time it seems that the balance of power has shifted and Cuba is the issue it should be. I am sure Obama didn't look good in this situation surrounded as he was by Victoria's Secret service.

o

Study shows medical marijuana laws reduce traffic deaths
November 29, 2011

A groundbreaking new study shows that laws legalizing medical marijuana have resulted in a nearly nine percent drop in traffic deaths and a five percent reduction in beer sales.

'Our research suggests that the legalization of medical marijuana reduces traffic fatalities through reducing alcohol consumption by young adults,' said Daniel Rees, professor of economics at the University of Colorado Denver who co-authored the study with D. Mark Anderson, assistant professor of economics at Montana State University.

The researchers collected data from a variety of sources including the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, and the Fatality Analysis Reporting System.

The study is the first to examine the relationship between the legalization of medical marijuana and traffic deaths.

'We were astounded by how little is known about the effects of legalizing medical marijuana,' Rees said. 'We looked into traffic fatalities because there is good data, and the data allow us to test whether alcohol was a factor.'

Anderson noted that traffic deaths are significant from a policy standpoint.

'Traffic fatalities are an important outcome from a policy perspective because they represent the leading cause of death among Americans ages five to 34,' he said.

The economists analyzed traffic fatalities nationwide, including the 13 states that legalized medical marijuana between 1990 and 2009. In those states, they found evidence that alcohol consumption by 20- through 29-year-olds went down, resulting in fewer deaths on the road.

The economists noted that simulator studies conducted by previous researchers suggest that drivers under the influence of alcohol tend to underestimate how badly their skills are impaired. They drive faster and take more risks. In contrast, these studies show that drivers under the influence of marijuana tend to avoid risks. However, Rees and Anderson cautioned that legalization of medical marijuana may result in fewer traffic deaths because it's typically used in private, while alcohol is often consumed at bars and restaurants.

'I think this is a very timely study given all the medical marijuana laws being passed or under consideration,' Anderson said. 'These policies have not been research-based thus far and our research shows some of the social effects of these laws. Our results suggest a direct link between marijuana and alcohol consumption.'

The study also examined marijuana use in three states that legalized medical marijuana in the mid-2000s, Montana, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Marijuana use by adults increased after legalization in Montana and Rhode Island, but not in Vermont. There was no evidence that marijuana use by minors increased.

Here is a link that might be useful: medical xpress

o

Interesting info. While it would obviously be a great thing to reduce traffic accidents, it's kinda crazy that we're actually talking about which kind of buzz is safer for driving...

How 'bout no buzz?

o

Tony Perkins President of FRC managed to twist it into a discussion of DADT. He's one of the speakers at the Voter Values Summit his FRC is generally one of it's sponsors.
He asked why should people be upset that the desecret Service were engaging in something that's legal well it's the same as DADT according to him.
Just because mans law makes it right "we" know it's wrong.
Just like so many folks in Europe know Pippa Middleton pointing the toy gun is a screaming moral outrage Hurrumph hurrumph hurrumph!

Hold that line, hold that line, block that kick, block that kick!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here