Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
speaking of bad words

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 20:32

I know we don't often discuss things so fluffy as films, but if anyone has seen Django Unchained, what did you think of it?

I thought it was a pretty smashing piece of work. Sam Jackson might have stole the show over the others, chillingly diabolical. A tad overdone at the end, IMO.

Did Quentin overdo it as well with the N-word?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: speaking of bad words

I haven't seen it yet, but I've liked all the Tarentino films that I've seen. He's wild.

o

I have not seen it yet. I am holding off because of the N word they said was over used.

I like the girl that plays on the TV show Scandal that is his love interest so I will get round to seeing it one day.

o

It didn't bother me, but that word doesn't bother me generally. In the context of the film I think it served the intended purposes.

o

It didn't bother me either. Now the excessive blood bothered me. Not because I am squeamish about blood either. I just thought that it was overdone. All in all, however, I thought that it was pretty darn good.

o

I can't wait to see it!

o

Frank, I suppose all the absurdly spurting blood was spoofing some genre, maybe slash-and-horror movies?

o

Just about everything that Tarantino does is designed to pay homage to prior movies. He is the one who says that.

o

I found the language far less disturbing than the bloodshed and ridiculously overdrawn revenge motif. We saw it pretty much only for Christoph Waltz, who saved the movie with his fine performance and razor-sharp comic timing, as was also the case for Inglorious Basterds.

o

You are right in the fact that Christoph Waltz is a fine actor. He did steal this movie.

o

My goodness, you can't get enough blood and gore from real life?

Hay

o

If I'm gonna watch it, I'd rather watch decent actors practice their craft and know it was all imaginary, from the brain of men like the brilliant Tarantino... than have to listen to some "bubble headed bleached blonde" read the news and get it wrong because those in charge of copy can't be counted on to edit properly, mainly because they must be first with the story at all costs, factual or not.

Some people abhor Rock & Roll or Heavy Metal, too... I like that sort of thing.

Everyone lives a different life. The one I live is mine.

o

Hollywood has an assigned script.

Keep the killing going and the blood flowing to keep us believing that we need protectors.

Who doesn't enjoy a good make believe killing?

o

"Who doesn't enjoy a good make believe killing?"

Me, me, me!!!

Someone dragged me to see Cold Mountain. Without looking it up, that was about 10 years or so ago.

I spent the whole time covering my eyes and ears. I vowed then that I'd never go to another movie.

I really don't have the stomach for it.

I don't have a television.

Just me and a few pretty women. God willing.

(Hey, God, we need to have a little talk.)

Hay

o

Not to mock religion or belief... but just in my own opinion... if there really were a god, do you think all these horrible things would be happening all over the world, with consistency, with half the victims innocents? And don't you think at least one prayer would have been answered by now to make it all stop?

Let us know what you come up with as answers, Hay. I'd be slightly curious at what your conversation will reveal.

o

Brush,

Quentin doesn't make the captain america type films you are talking about. All depictions of violence are not equal. This film, while fantastical, has a historical basis. No one is going to come away from it thinking that we need to beef up the patriot act to protect us from foreign folks.

o

Pat,

Films like Zero Dark Thirty are intended for one purpose: push the war on terror envelope.

Hay,

Just me and a few pretty women, and good beer, God willing.

o

So this is about Django, what are you talking about?

Start a thread on zero dark thirty. I wouldn't watch that because I'm not interesting in a propaganda film that glorifies the US presidential administration and military being beyond the rule of law.

o

I'm not going to bother God with questions about his job. Not polite.

I just want a few very small favors. Somewhere between 5' and 5' 9" would be nice.

Beer, I can take care of that all by myself.

Hay

o

Jodi, when I had my daughter without one pain I knew there had to be a God. Lord knows I could not have dealt with the pain that the woman in the room down the hall was screaming and throwing things about and YELLING GET IT OUT NOW!!!!

o

"...when I had my daughter without one pain I knew there had to be a God. Lord knows I could not have dealt with the pain that the woman in the room down the hall was screaming and throwing things about and YELLING GET IT OUT NOW!!!!"

About 9 months late to be yelling that.

We're going to rent "Django" this weekend. If this thread is still around, I'll write a brief opinion. I won't, however opine as to Tarantino's use of the "n word."

o

Not a Tarantino fan. He relies too much on blood, gore and shock value but doesn't give much thought to story. It's like what happens when Howard Stern makes movies.

That said (and keeping in mind I haven't seen the movie), I would think that use of the N word would be more historically accurate, right?

I mean, it would seem odd to watch a movie set in that time period and have them talk about "That African-American feller over there."

o

Certainly the usage is historically accurate. The criticism is that it is way overdone in the film. That is the typical criticism against Tarantino - that he overdoes everything.

I'll say one thing - few writer/directors can create such excellent and suspenseful dialogue. The Cohen brothers do, and maybe do it better, but it's hard to beat some of the scenes in Django as well as the nazi-killer film and Pulp.

o

Hay, I'd have to say, then, that someone is seriously slacking and doesn't deserve half the adulation given... never known anyone to think it impolite to make notice of a poor job done. ;-)

But weren't we talking about bad words?

o

The criticism is that it is way overdone in the film.

That was what I was referring to as the reason I had not seen it yet. I do not support film or music that use certain terms against women too. For a few years they did a lot of disparaging films against American Indians I did not give those movies any of my money either. It is the only way I can protest.

I just think there is a way of getting across your message without over doing it for shock purpose.

o

We finally saw it, and thought it was excellent! The characters were well played, and the idea not one of extreme revenge considering the time frame. I have to say, I'd jump through fire and face evil, itself, to save the man I love and bring him to freedom in that same time frame. Today, I suppose it would all depend on the real people involved.

It wasn't all blood and gore, so I have no idea what some were talking about. And the language wasn't half as bad as some movies I've seen.

I'd like to watch it again... there's a lot one can pick up viewing a second time that might be missed during the first viewing.

o

The ending was absurdly maudlin, which was the point, no doubt. That dramatic shadow of the couple kissing, that was from some famous western, can't remember which.

Which performance did you like best, that of Waltz, DiCaprio, or Jackson? I leave out Jamie Foxx because his wasn't a serious acting part.

o

After I view it a second time, I'll probably have a more critical view on who actually acted better than so-and-so... but in a first viewing, I thought everyone did a fine job.

o

We saw "Django Unchained" last night. If you're a Tarentino fan (we are fans), you will really really enjoy it. Some of it was not easy for me to watch (so I walked away for a minute), but it was very well done. Definitely not fluff. Fab music, of course.

o

I thought it a very good representation of what humanity is capable of doing to one another... and how some are willing to betray their own humanity and others to save their own hides.

I don't think I could choose a favorite actor or scene. It was a very good period film, in my opinion.

o

"It was a very good period film, in my opinion."

Tarantino does not make accurate period pieces. He doesn't even try.
There were some anachronisms in the guns. Which I would think that you would notice. I won't name the rest, but here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: anachronisms

o

Jodi didn't say "accurate," she said "a good period film." The genre is fiction, not documentary. I found myself both entertained and reminded of how far this country has come since the pre--civil war years. And the music was great.

I'm sure someone will say "...and how far we need to go." and if they do I will agree.

o

Context and comprehension will never be ideals to aspire to here at HT... of that, we can be assured.

I liked the film. I don't care if it wasn't precise or exactly accurate down to every detail. That kind of thing doesn't bother me. I'm not a film critic... I'm a fan.

Speaking of fans... this summer, a new Star Trek adventure will hit theaters, featuring a young Jim Kirk and Spock, among other characters. I can't wait!

o

"Jodi didn't say "accurate," she said "a good period film." The genre is fiction, not documentary."

A "period film" has a pretty clear definition. "A period film is a film that attempts to faithfully depict a specific time period."

o

We watched it tonight, really enjoyed it.
The blood and gore had Tarantino written all over it.
I thought it a kind of spoof on a lot of movie genres, the spaghetti westerns for sure and early movies where the female simpers and the male is an all around perfect hero who saves the day and makes them pay. The blending in of spoofing of other types of movies made it fun to watch.

The language was appropriate to the movie itself, imo. There are no bad words, there are words used for bad purposes though is what I believe. The language was appropriate to the movie, as I see it.

My favorite actor was Waltz, he is simply incredible in every way. DH loved Samuel Jackson, I didn't even realize it was Samuel Jackson until he was informing DiCaprio's character of the scam taking place. His voice gave him away but DH had caught on immediately.

Dicaprio really was also excellent also, as he always is.

Not as absorbing to me as was my other favorites like Inglorious Basturds ( my favorite) Reservior Dogs or Pulp Fiction and its unlikely Ill ever watch this one again as I have frequently watched Inglorious Basturds and Pulp Fiction, but I was very entertained. Well done! Ab fab musical scoring!

Im not a huge fan of Tarantino and passed on all those grind films he made but there are a few that got my attention, all mentioned above. I have never seen Hostel.

o

One of Tarantino's talents is coaxing superb performances from middling actors, and possibly permanently improving them. For examples, both Willis and Travolta IMO were nothing special - even less than middling - before Pulp when both outdid themselves. Both went on to do other good roles afterwards as well.

In this film I would say that about DiCaprio. Waltz and Jackson are top-notch in any case. However, I think both DiCaprio and Jackson had more difficult roles to give life to, because the dissolute slave-owning planter and his groveling house-slave are such established tropes in the American psyche. Jackson in particular transcended that difficulty.

I'm sure no-one missed the delicious unselfconscious brutishness of DiCaprio's character coming out to give that maniacal lecture on the native inferiority of negroes immediately after being tipped off by the more intelligent negro butler.

o

Okay, Frank... which word would YOU prefer I had used to describe MY idea of the film in question?

Oh, wait... I'm sorry... allow me, first, to produce my license for movie watching, and proof of... I'm not sure what sort of proof is wanted or required. I didn't know there was gonna be a test on word use... I would have studied...

Bare bones, here... I'm allowed to call it a period piece because it takes place in a different time period. Why does it matter so much if the average movie watcher utilizes a descriptive word that doesn't meet with another's approval? Did you see it through my eyes?

I'm a little confused... ah, never mind... now I get it... I keep forgetting my place as forum scapegoat. My apologies, sir. I am not one of the elite class, and I overstep my bounds, much as in the very film being discussed...

o

Well, Jodi. That statement was not directed at you. It was directed at Elvis. That is why I quoted her, but whatever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here