Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crimes of Fashion

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 20:51

Idiot makes rape about fashion the Burqa approach to what to do about women's wear.

If men didn't attack women or other men there wouldn't be any rape!
Amazingly easy not a great quantum leap.
When a 20 year old rapes a senior woman it's not the sight of her support hose that drives him wild with desire.

Not crimes of Fashion or Passion just plain old fashioned violence that uses genitals rather than fists.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Taliban

This post was edited by labrea on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 22:19

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crimes of Fashion

one of the placards says "you deserve rape"

Dont you just love free speech?

So following on from that "philosophy" , anyone who gets raped (of either sex) should have their clothing examined and judged to determine whether it was their own fault???

those men just have to be protected from being driven wild with desire and "forced" by revealing clothing to rape someone.

As Joe says, Rape is a crime of aggression and (I would add) dominance.

just plain ignorance

o
RE: Cri4mes of Fashion

and while we are on the subject women should try not to sway too suggestively !!!

this Australian muslim leader was commenting on 4 muslim men who were given huge sentences for rape.

Here is a link that might be useful: he callls women uncovered meat

o

What a jerk. I think his karma is bad.

o

Again I'll say it. I think the women on that campus should make up some t-shirts that say "Dead men don't rape" and wear them. Free speech goes both ways.

o

Do men in manties excite women?

o

shut up richard!

o

I've been watching that whole college protest, complete with the signs...

And the message I get from it all is that some men think they shouldn't have to own control over themselves. Everything should be faulted to the female, or rape victim.

It's one of the most obnoxious pieces of the whole patriarchal ideal.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 7:39

"violence that uses genitals rather than fists."

Too bad some people, and some of them are female, do not "get it". This is not about sex/passion, it is a violent act !!

Alexr I actually like your idea for the t-shirts, and with the number of women being raped on campuses, in the military and on America's streets sure would be a "market" for them.

o

Do men in capes and manties excite women?

o

Rude, crude, and tasteless. What, are you still in high school?

o

No, junior high...

o

Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 9:00

Shows the mindset of "some" when jokes can be made about a brutal crime against women Pidge ...

o

It seems like we keep going over this ground every time some new offense occurs and it has lost the approriate shock value...

o

I'm betting the victims don't feel that way, Tobr.

o

You never fail to shock me with your disdain for women, Tobr. Your "joke" is tantamount to accepting the point of view of the guy mentioned above. Shameful behavior all around.

o

Nicholas Groth, a clinical psychologist and author of Men Who Rape: The Psychology of the Offender, says all sexual assault is an act of aggression, regardless of the gender or age of the victim or the assailant. Neither sexual desire nor sexual deprivation is the primary motivating force behind sexual assault. It is not about sexual gratification, but rather a sexual aggressor using somebody else as a means of expressing their own power and control.

I regard the joking about this the same way I regard the joking about anyone who's psycho/sexual dysfunction becomes fodder for humor.

o

labrea""""""When a 20 year old rapes a senior woman it's not the sight of her support hose that drives him wild with desire."

Ain't it the truth. We had a serial rapist in our area a while ago and he raped women in ages ranging from the early twenties to the mid seventies. I don't know how the younger women were dressed but I don't think a mid seventy year old would "turn on" a guy in his late twenties to early thirties (age guessed of rapist) even dressed in say a halter top and short shorts......probably even less so dressed in that manner. Rape has nothing to do with normal sexual attraction; it is an act of power and dominance by the perpetrator.

This idiot seems to think that women are responsible for controlling a man's urges. Sorry Charlie, but if you can't control yourself maybe you should run down to the nearest vet and get neutered.

"The sheik then said: "If she was in her room, in her home, in her hijab, no problem would have occurred."

I don't understand the belief by some Muslims that the hijab would prevent rape when all that it covers is the hair. I've don't think I've ever met a man who is so turned on by "hair" that he couldn't control himself. I've seen plenty of teen aged girls with a 'hijab' covering their hair while wearing jeans and a top that looked like they had been melted and poured into them..........and I'm not criticizing the Muslim teens here, as they were dressed just like many other teenagers.......... just having a hard time imagining a man being turned on by the woman's hair instead of the sexy bodies displayed by these girls. I have a Muslim friend who said that if she lived in say Iran, she and her family would be put to death for not being Muslim enough. Seems to me the hijab and Burka are something created by insecure, jealous men or men who know their own wicked desires and lack of control and figure all men are the same as themselves.

Love the T shirt idea ""Dead men don't rape"

o

Some psychologists believe that there are types
Type 1 is influenced by deviant sexual arousal, which occurs when he has thoughts of violence against women. This type is likely to be extremely impulsive.
Type 2 is motivated by cognitive distortions, or thinking errors; he mistakenly interprets events or information differently than other men would. He believes that some women enjoy being raped, or want to be raped. For this type, rape is part of a conquest, a way of demonstrating masculinity. Most date rapists are Type 2s.
Type 3, says Hall, is motivated by anger or emotional discontrol. These men are so angry, especially at women, that the only way for them to deal with their anger is to act out sexually toward women. Not surprisingly, this type is the most violent and most dangerous.
Type 4 is the repeat offender. He is most likely to have been physically or sexually abused as a child. He has difficulty establishing enduring relationships, and a history of chronic problems in schools or in his family. Type 4 men break a variety of rules, both sexual and nonsexual.

o

Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 12:58

So what type is the guy with the sign ?????

o

I can only assume he thinks it's a matter of faith which is fine (free speech & all that)

o

I hope he doesn't go to the beach during Spring break... he might break a spring in his head.

o

I would prefer he do equal time with another sign that says men control your thoughts!
This is the old evil temptress routine goes way back with this crowd.

o

there is a further insidious consequence to be discussed.

speaking globally....the article I have linked is about the rapes in India. (recently reported in the media) this article also describes the kidnap and rape of a 5 year old girl, and notes that rape is a prevalent crime.
One of the consequenses of this is that girls are being denied access to schooling and are having their movements restricted as parents feel they cannot keep them safe unless they are kept in the home!!
and then , of course you have ""The sheik then said: "If she was in her room, in her home, in her hijab, no problem would have occurred." "

the danger is that women in countries with these philosopies will be denied education freedom of movement access to jobs etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: girls denied schooing as they may be raped on the way to school

o

"So what type is the guy with the sign ?????"

Are we guessing? My instincts say #2. IMO he is definitely unwell.

o

what about another type? gang rapists. where do they fit in?

o

I always thought the gang rapist fit in with the pack mentality that goes with the victors in war rapist.
Thousands of men have been raped in Africa
A 2010 Journal of the American Medical Association survey found that 22% of men and 30% of women in Eastern Congo had reported sexual violence connected to warfare
Many women are unlikely to report rape & men even more so!

o

Yes rape is common in war situations...and I take your point that many rapes go unreported especially when men are raped.

the following is from the article I linked..regarding the lost boys of the Sudan

"When Sliwa traveled to the Bahr al-Ghazal region of southern Sudan in 2002, she said she interviewed 27 former male Sudanese slaves who said they had been raped by their Arab masters. Sliwa said she was first to reveal this horrific story in an article on the Web site, WorldNetDaily.

“I interviewed many boys who were raped or saw other boys being raped,” she said.

Sliwa said that rape is a taboo subject in the Sudanese culture.

“They will be stigmatized for life if others find out. It’s hard to get the information out,” she said.

Here is a link that might be useful: it is taboo to report rape

This post was edited by youngquinn on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 1:30

o

So what do you make of all of this? Is rape just part of human nature that will never be curbed or is that just my disdain showing again?

o

when you asked if men in capes and manties excite women were you being distainful?

Rape part of human nature? In our respective countries we can all aspire to be better and we can choose to live by rules that respect the rights of all people to be safe and unmolested as they go about their lives.
I dont know what we can do about babies children men and women being raped in other countries....but I sure as heck dont want to be flippant about it.

o

OK, rather than being flip, I'll try to get a grip, but I am not sure that some aspects of human nature are changeable just because we want them to be...

o

Anthing that humans do is "human nature." But most people with half a brain don't go around willy nilly punching people in the face or throwing them down flights of stairs or even killing them. "Human nature" is not some driving, uncontrollable, unstoppable force that takes rape as excusable because it's "human nature."

o

Give us a clue as to what your saying?

o

There are a number of ideas that come to mind.(for me)
It's human nature to use religion to suppress violent socially unacceptable behaviors (rape) or (fashion choices) .
It's human nature to want to control peoples fashion choices? (that always comes to mind)

Men will be aroused by the glimpse of an ankle.. an arm , hair, teeth. a mouth, the suggestion of a curve, scent, lipstick, eye shadow, a blond wig, pasties, a g string, feathers, leather, a red dress, a white dress, a black dress (pretty much anything)
Women are never safe alone in the company of men?
These all come to mind as human nature .... you know depending on your geographical location everyone in that location know whats what & why's why you don't have to tell them because it's just HUMAN NATURE.

This post was edited by labrea on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 11:08

o

Anyone who looks at the raping by the Nazis and then by the Soviets in WW 2 could not doubt that rape on a large scale cannot be denied as an atavistic trait of human nature...

o

no , not so, that just tells us what you believe....and "human nature" is a large category.

for every raping Nazis you show me I can give you an example of the opposite.

o

A German woman who is now 95 was raped by Soviet soldiers for so long that she could not have children. She was just one of hundreds and the raping by the Soviets did not stop until Stalin decided to put a stop to it for PR reasons as many women committed suicide either before or after being raped. Older women tried to hide their young daughters and offered themselves up to lines of soldiers...

o

I dont doubt that that happened but what is your point in saying that as no one is disputing it.
from Pidge ""Human nature" is not some driving, uncontrollable, unstoppable force that takes rape as excusable because it's "human nature."
you label all of humanity with the same brush

o

Let's take it further back. Do you think early hominids waited for females to be in heat or in the mood to have their way with them?

o

Wed, May 1, 13 at 10:00

"waited for females to be in heat "

You know I can't figure out if you are "chumming the water" or really think they way you write.

o

Rationalization & justification without documentation.
Current links please by accredited Psychiatric sources not old sociology tomes by (I have/had an idea sociologist)
That theory that promotes an evolutionary purely biological aspect to rape is as faulty as the religious cretin in the original topic that I see we are steering away from.

On an evolutionary level I just think that someone misses their old partner in foolery Pete!

o

I was not there when early hominids were evolving, but I suspect that every species has a "built in" instinct to survive, and to pass on its DNA for posterity... the strongest surviving the best. The plant world offers an amazing group of examples.

A goodly portion of the human species has evolved to a point where we act within certain social parameters that benefit everyone... or I should say, most of us have evolved to such a point.

I think that because environment plays such a large role in our early development, there might be something within that to study.

And for the record, I have not Googled or looked up any answers or statistics... those are just my opinions.

I do not feel there is any reason, or need, to force oneself upon another in any way, shape or form... and I don't know why some people rape. But I suspect it has something to do with environment and early development, or?

And let's not forget that humankind has a history of mostly patriarchal behaviors... and a history of strength lording over the weaker of the species.

o

well its probably my fault that we steered away from the first religious cretin
from the desription of the crimes of the first RC"However hateful his speech may be, university attorneys told angry students that Saxton is exercising his right to free speech, and has yet to violate the student code of conduct.

While Saxton’s language is more incendiary than the norm, victim-blaming is very much a mainstream habit. The string of recently publicized rapes of high school and college students have exposed how communities shame victims rather than condemn the perpetrators. Dartmouth College is currently dealing with a similar backlash to anti-sexual violence protesters, who received rape and death threats amid a slew of misogynistic and ignorant comments posted online. ?
we then went to the second religious cretin with his "uncovered meat " and " stay in your houses and you wont get raped" statements

then it was gang rape and rape as part of war then off to richards inanities "its just human nature"

in peacetime in western nations the rapists dont t ake responsibility and blame the victims and in war the victor has the power.
its all rape.

I think we need a thread on mysogyny in religion.

o

Inanities? Just trying to broaden out the discussion to encompass human history and the male behavior that is ever present whether we like it or not...

o

"Rationalization & justification without documentation.
Current links please by accredited Psychiatric sources not old sociology tomes by (I have/had an idea sociologist) " from Joe.

did you see that richard. ?

o

No old sociology tomes, just an evolutionary scientific an historical perspective. How do you explain men dispassionately waiting in line to rape? Don't think it is just the spoils of war, aggression, power, but nothing more in many cases, than just some free sex...

o

Well, when it comes to freedoms, one must sometimes take the bad along with the good, no matter how vehemently one disagrees with the idea spoken, or in this case written.

How does that saying go? I may not agree with what you're saying, but I'll defend your right to say it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here