Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One plus one plus one equals...

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 20:51

I've seen the pictures of the bombers walking through the crowd, black backpack on their backs, the backpacks containing the bombs they would later plant amongst the crowd.

Don't I remember there were two bombs that exploded... plus one other that didn't explode?

I didn't see either guy carrying a third packpack in the pics...possible they planted it before the pictures were taken...

Or is there possibly another person involved?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One plus one plus one equals...

You don't know what is propaganda and what is facts at this point. And as we can tell, chat boards and Twitter are poor ways to get info but great ways to see uninformed, instantaneous gossip. Maybe there were three bombs. Maybe not. Gonna take awhile.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 21:03

I believe the police have been holding a third person since yesterday.

They have the second brother in custody.

o

I'm not a twitter person and this is the closest I come to a chat board.

I'm talking about what the MSM was reporting. Yeah, they are as good about "facts" as some teenager on twitter, but still....

o

IIRC both Stewart and Colbert made fun of the eM-ess-eMM and their cr@ptacular reporting, little more than barfing up what the tweeters said.

o

Three people in New Bedford were taken into custody at 8 PM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custody

This post was edited by brushworks on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 21:25

o

Word here is that the third "bomb" wasn't a bomb, just a fire in the JFK library machine room. And the packages that the police found and detonated directly after the incident Monday were also not bombs.

They did find more bombs in Watertown in the course of their searching this week; the reports in our local media lead one to believe they found these where the 2 brothers/their sisters lived.

o

It's my understanding that the people taken into custody for questioning probably weren't involved in the actual bombings, but "may" have known something prior to or after the fact and failed to notify the authorities. It's going to be a while before we really know what went down, however.

o

It's my understanding that the people taken into custody for questioning probably weren't involved in the actual bombings, but "may" have known something prior to or after the fact and failed to notify the authorities. It's going to be a while before we really know what went down, however.

o

Some one on one of the other posts said that what she liked about Fox was that they did report everything they heard-dont know why she stopped at Fox with that one. This 'stream of consciousness' reporting thing is in my mind not a good thing. It creates unnecessary anxiety(I did notice that Fox, who I did watch during this to get a different feed, was into ramping up the anxiety level) and also a very muddy field of information. At this point we have all sorts of mis-information and will any of it get cleared up before they go haring off after the next 'big story' ?

o

I was monitoring the Boston Globe on twitter during the capture of the youngest and I was aware of everything 8-10 minutes in advance of the movie star Anderson Cooper.

o

o

Patriciae - I also watched both Fox and CNN, probably in equal amounts. My back pain had kicked in fiercely, so I spent most of the week in our den, tidying up, doing this and that, and watched the news almost 24/7. Also checked all the other networks, including PBS and Cspan. No doubt in my mind that the two aforementioned channels did the best job (although some would argue for MSNBC). I did not notice any ramping up of anxiety on Fox as opposed to others. No sloppiness or undo rumor-mongering. All three cable news channels jumped on some stories and held back with others.

IMO it would have been hard to outdo Fox's Bill Hemmer and Catherine Herridge for seriousness and thoroughness. Neither of them is "edgy" or ultra-dramatic, and they had more TV time than anyone else. Herridge especially is, again IMO, a great reporter. After CNN got kicked in the face for misreporting about certain suspects, it pulled back and was positively timid. Hard to imagine Blitzer or Cooper being timid!

o

"IMO it would have been hard to outdo Fox's Bill Hemmer and Catherine Herridge for seriousness and thoroughness. Neither of them is "edgy" or ultra-dramatic, and they had more TV time than anyone else. Herridge especially is, again IMO, a great reporter."

I agree, Sable. BTW, so sorry about your pain.

It seems that many judge Fox News based on highly irritating (IMO) commentators like Hannity. Sort of like basing one's opinion of NBC on Matt Lauer, LOL.

The reporters on Fox seem to me to be doing as good a job as any; better than most.

Me, I just don't care to watch Fox more than the others; surely it's good to get lots of points of view as opposed to being spoon fed the "politically correct" stuff on a constant basis.

It is refreshing to hear that someone (Sable) doesn't seem concerned about almost certain derision for posting something complimentary which concerns Fox News. They can't be that bad; their ratings sound pretty good.

"Between the Boston Marathon bombings and subsequent manhunt and the fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, this week was the busiest news weeks in recent memory. Among the cable news networks, Fox News topped the ratings in both total day and primetime from Monday to Thursday (we’ll have Friday’s ratings Monday)."

Here is a link that might be useful: Fox News Tops

o

Elvis - Thank you, and sorry for the late response, but I forgot on which thread I posted the above, and it took a while to find it.

I totally agree with you about obtaining one's news from different sources and points of view; there's no other way to achieve balance. I also don't think that our media committed an "epic failure" in delivering this story. IMO it was a success, even though some made errors; most of us know that there may be corrections coming during a huge breaking story and we make allowances for that. When you consider that until the 20th century, the fastest that news could travel almost anywhere in the world was at the speed of a galloping horse - and horses can't gallop full-out for very long - and, most everyone being illiterate, could only be understood by word-of-mouth - we are doing remarkably well.

There was a lot of incorrect reporting during 9-11 as well, due partly to the fact that reporters and the general public didn't understand NORAD, nor the chain-of-command, and also because the airlines and the FAA and NORAD weren't communicating with each other. Lynn Spencer's amazing book, Touching History, explains the story.

This is my favorite reporter of all time. How lucky we were to have him!

"Listen my children and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year.

He said to his friend, "If the British march
By land or by sea from the town tonight,
Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry arch
Of the North Church tower as a signal light,
One if by land, and two if by sea;
And I on the opposite shore will be,
Ready to ride and spread the alarm
Through every Middlesex village and farm,
For the country folk to be up and to arm."

And the final verse:

"So through the night rode Paul Revere;
And so through the night went his cry of alarm
To every Middlesex village and farm, -
A cry of defiance, and not of fear,
A voice in the darkness, a knock at the door,
And a word that shall echo for evermore!
For, borne on the night-wind of the Past,
Through all our history, to the last,
In the hour of darkness and peril and need,
The people will waken and listen to hear
The hurrying hoof beats of that steed,
And the midnight message of Paul Revere."

Henry Wadsworth Longfelllow

o

Mmmm; nice. That man had a way with words ;-) This has always been my favorite Longfellow: "The Builders:"

"All are architects of Fate,
Working in these walls of Time;
Some with massive deeds and great,
Some with ornaments of rhyme.

Nothing useless is, or low;
Each thing in its place is best;
And what seems but idle show
Strengthens and supports the rest.

For the structure that we raise,
Time is with materials filled;
Our to-days and yesterdays
Are the blocks with which we build.

Truly shape and fashion these;
Leave no yawning gaps between;
Think not, because no man sees,
Such things will remain unseen.

In the elder days of Art,
Builders wrought with greatest care
Each minute and unseen part;
For the Gods see everywhere.

Let us do our work as well,
Both the unseen and the seen;
Make the house, where Gods may dwell,
Beautiful, entire, and clean.

Else our lives are incomplete,
Standing in these walls of Time,
Broken stairways, where the feet
Stumble as they seek to climb.

Build to-day, then, strong and sure,
With a firm and ample base;
And ascending and secure
Shall to-morrow find its place.

Thus alone can we attain
To those turrets, where the eye
Sees the world as one vast plain,
And one boundless reach of sky."

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

o

Well, I guess some don't think that id'ing innocent people as several news sites did, putting them at risk, is a failure. So be it.

o

Among the cable news networks, Fox News topped the ratings in both total day and primetime from Monday to Thursday (we’ll have Friday’s ratings Monday)."

And let us point out, for about the 100th time on this forum, that "cable news" is a tiny part of the TV world--which means that Fox News is a big fish in a small pond. Now if you are talking about "network" news, that is the TV world of large audiences--audiences that "cable news" can't even begin to approach. "Network" news would include NBC, ABC, and CBS.

In other words, most TV viewers do not watch "cable news"--although I am thoroughly addicted to the 24 hour coverage of MSNBC and CNN, myself.

Kate

o

Obviously it is a failure to ID someone as a suspect who is innocent. I don't think, though, that it is epic, or even enormous, given the breadth and depth of this terrible event. I don't think that it should be the main take-away from what happened overall.

Kate - The point about Fox's ratings is that it beat ALL other cable channels, not just the news channels, in ratings. Usually USA, A&E (blech), the History Channel and a couple of others are the cable ratings winners, easily beating out the news channels. Not this past week, though.

o

My point was that Fox is not "network" news (and beating all the other network news--as the earlier poster stated). Fox is "cable" news which can't even begin to compete with network news. Fox may have beat out the other "cable" channels, but that still makes Fox no more than a big fish in a little pond. The majority of Americans are NOT watching Fox news--as the previous poster implied--nor any of the other "cable" news. They watch "network" news.

Those two categories are often confused -- particularly by the more conservative posters (who usually seem to be Fox-watchers) on this forum.

: )

Kate

o

Obviously it is a failure to ID someone as a suspect who is innocent. I don't think, though, that it is epic, or even enormous

I think you would feel differently if it was you or your family member. There but for the grace of God...

I am sure that many including the families and friends of the 4 that were wrong identifed and others would adamantly disagree with you. It is clear that their lives were put in danger by the media's error and irresponsibility. I can't even imagine the additional pain it caused the family of Sunil Tripathi, the student that is still missing.

o

Reports are that Sunil Tripathi's body has been found in a river; he's been missing since March. I had never heard of him until Epi mentioned him. From the reports, it seems that he was mis-identified by Reddit, an internet site. Bet I'm not alone in never having heard of Reddit and never having read it.

The dialogue on these HT threads has been mainly about Fox and CNN; it's not been about internet sites, which make wild and unsubstantiated claims all the time.

Hot Topics always reminds me of my all-time favorite cartoon. A woman comes out of the bedroom in her robe and slippers and walks over to her husband, who is pounding away at the computer. Outside the window the moon and stars are high and bright, showing that it's very late at night. And he says to her: "But you don't understand. Someone on the Internet is Wrong!"

o

Bet I'm not alone in never having heard of Reddit and never having read it.

The dialogue on these HT threads has been mainly about Fox and CNN; it's not been about internet sites, which make wild and unsubstantiated claims all the time.

i am sure you aren't alone but just because you never heard of it doesn't mean it isn't relevant. Many have only learned of it, and sites like it, in the last week because of its relevence in this story. Prior to last week there were many that were already aware of its existence, especially those of the younger generation and those that stay current with trends, including the media.

Reddit, like Twitter, Imgur and digg among other social media sites are used to disseminate news and other information on the internet, all are unfiltered. We did in fact address reddit on another thread where I also noted my disdain for using information coming from sources like them. I guess you missed it.

Those that post on social media are not journalists and it is like the wild West but reddit itself became a part of the larger story when several media outlets picked up information from them and used it in their reporting including the names of Tripathi and Mulugeta as well as the Saudi man who was hospitalized. Apparently it started when one or more users picked up information from a Boston PD scanner and posted it on the site.

You may dismiss it but apparently many others didn't including the media when Fox news affiliates around the nation, CNN, the NY Post and other news sources used information that originated from there. NY magazine did an article on it several days ago in relation to the Boston bombings.

I know it's hard to keep up with the fast changing face of the internet, social media and current trends but again, in this case more people know about reddit now than did on April 14th just because of this. Apparently you are not one of them.

From Wiki:
Reddit /ˈrɛdɪt/,[3] stylized as reddit, is a social news and entertainment website where registered users submit content in the form of either a link or a text ("self") post. Other users then vote the submission "up" or "down", which is used to rank the post and determine its position on the site's pages and front page. Reddit is based in San Francisco, California.
Reddit was founded by Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian. It was acquired by Condé Nast Publications in October 2006. In September 2011, Reddit was split from Condé Nast, and now operates as a subsidiary of Condé Nast's parent company, Advance Publications.

Here is a link that might be useful: reddit

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 19:04

o

"Hot Topics always reminds me of my all-time favorite cartoon. A woman comes out of the bedroom in her robe and slippers and walks over to her husband, who is pounding away at the computer. Outside the window the moon and stars are high and bright, showing that it's very late at night. And he says to her: "But you don't understand. Someone on the Internet is Wrong!"
Perfect ;-) Thanks!

Surely many will identify with this cartoon.

o

And wrong is the idea that Fox is winning any polls-they have the largest viewership of any cable 'news' source but they do not win any polls on reliability and have steadly been losing viewership since the election when they went into Romney meltdown. The loss is approximately half. I dont know how to post links to this sort of information. There was a nice well documented article in The Nation recently.

o

Epi -"I guess you missed it." I guess I did.

"NY magazine did an article on it several days ago in relation to the Boston bombing." I will look forward to reading that. New York Magazine and our local daily newspaper are the only print media to which I subscribe. NYM, though, usually takes two weeks to arrive here, and because I hate reading lengthy items onliine, I'll just have to grit my teeth and wait.

"I know it's hard to keep up with the fast changing face of the internet, social media and current trends but again in this case more people know about reddit now than did on April 14th just because of this. Apparently you are not one of them." Apparently I am not! Am not trendy, never was trendy, never will be trendy. I don't Facebook, tweet, or play games on my cell phone. I still play my 78 LP vinyls on a record player (a new one). My trendiness only goes as far as a two-week delayed NY Mag will take me.

I appreciate, though, your taking the time to post about reddit, which I did check out.

Elvis - I agree, perfect!

o

Epi -"I guess you missed it." I guess I did.

"NY magazine did an article on it several days ago in relation to the Boston bombing." I will look forward to reading that. New York Magazine and our local daily newspaper are the only print media to which I subscribe. NYM, though, usually takes two weeks to arrive here, and because I hate reading lengthy items onliine, I'll just have to grit my teeth and wait

Well, I guess you also missed the lengthy feature article that NYM did on reddit back in July 2012 - "Reddit in the Flesh" - which is where I first learned about it and its influence. It was quite informative, much more so than the latest one which is very short so no need to grit your teeth.

Reddit in the Flesh
An afternoon in the park with the true believers of the web’s most influential community.

... According to metareddit.com, Reddit currently comprises approximately 144,000 active sub-forums, each of which is devoted to a different topic��"New Jersey, for instance, or John Malkovich. Some 35 million users sign on to the site every month. Most are male, and most live in the U.S. Many work in programming or IT. They are drawn by not only the diversity of the content but also the site’s remarkably unified political ethos, which is left-leaning, with a libertarian tack. Marijuana, atheism, congressional corruption, and web rights are among their many interests.

In recent months, Reddit has emerged as a web power broker nonpareil. An article posted to the front page of Reddit can draw tens of millions of clicks, enough to crash some websites. As is the case with the Drudge Report, news organizations have taken to “baiting” Reddit��"posting links to their articles in the hope that something will attract the interest of the “Reddit Army.” Thus far, Reddit has resisted these efforts. The message: Reddit is a community. It will not play your low-minded, traffic-whoring games...

BTW, contrary to your sarcastic remarks I wasn't criticizing you for your lack of trendiness. Since you are usually better informed your comments and lack of knowledge about reddit's role in both CNN and Fox's reporting simply surprised me and now since you say you subscribe to NYM your ignorance about reddit is no less surprising considering the article is from 9 months ago.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 22:37

o

Epi - Most of Reddit's users are male, work in programming and IT and are left-leaning? Definitely not me, but it perfectly describes my sons! I shall have to ask them if they are followers.

BTW, I doubt that most regular readers of any publication read every article, and I skipped the one about Reddit, in fact, don't recall even having seen a headline. I skip things in NYM all the time; e.g. don't care about the profundities of being Bloomberg or how the newest Chinese restaurant is different from all the others (especially since we on the West Coast consider ourselves first in Asian innovation, lol). First thing I turn to is the Approval Matrix, and always work the crossword puzzle, which is one of the best.

Actually, it's more interesting discussing NYM than talking about an internet news site, especially one that I'm not going to surf. Although, I LOVED Bill Clinton's tweet of George H.W. Bush's socks at the opening of Bush 43's library. Proof positive that only presidents and ex-presidents know what they know and no one else will ever understand.

o

Epi - Most of Reddit's users are male, work in programming and IT and are left-leaning?

Apparently Sable, at least that is what the NYM article is claiming. Since I am not a follower of the site, nor do I plan on becoming one, I don't know firsthand. I only became familiar with reddit from that article and it rang familiar when it came up 11days ago when some media used it as a source .

Most people don't read publications cover to cover, I certainly don't but since the story seemed to be important in the (new) way information is disseminated in this case I took note and I am surprised you didn’t since it has national implications and affects people beyond the NY local area. As I stated before you usually seem to be well informed so I was surprised that you hadn’t heard that the media used some of its information and then when you mentioned you subscribe to NYM I was equally surprised that you missed the article. Understandably you wouldn't take note of local items like like Batali's latest restaurant opening or what is playing at the Union Square theater or even local politics but I am surprised you weren't interested enough in this to at least peruse the article since it had to do with one of the ways information and misinformation is now spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here