Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In retrospect.....

Posted by ronalawn82 z9FL (ronalawn08@gmail.com) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 21:47

"....... in 1981, President Ronald Reagan fired more than 11,000 air traffic controllers who ignored his order to return to work. The sweeping mass firing of federal employees slowed commercial air travel, but it did not cripple the system as the strikers had forecast." Source
I was not here (nor there for that matter) at that time; and 'world has changed a lot'. I have to ask, "What's all the fuss about, now?"
And if Congress and / or any of its individual members claim that they are carrying out the wishes of the American People, what's the price of that bridge you have to offer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In retrospect.....

The fuss now is from people like me who will be on a plane Sunday night going to the destination so that they can be at work SORT OF ON TIME on Monday. Until you are at an airport at 5:30 am, you have no clue what commuting to work means.

And by the way, the volume of all flyers is slightly greater in 2013 than it was in 1981.

Back to retirement, ron!

o

jmc01, specially for you, I will follow my dad's admonishment, "Put aside 10 per cent of the money you work for and 90 percent of the free advice that you get!".

o

There were 13,000 air traffic controllers back in Reagans time (now 23,200). Eleven thousand were fired then, leaving 2000 plus supervisory personnel to take up the reins, so to speak. There are a lot more flights now than back in Reagan's time and the load demand on current traffic controllers are much greater now.

I listened to an NPR interview of one of them from a major airport (missed the beginning so can't give you details.) I got ulcers just listening to him. He can't retire because he is putting three kids through school and needs to work as many shifts as allowed. The furlough meant a 1% (?) cut in salary, seeming not much loss of income. Now if I mis-heard and the loss was 10%, then I could commiserate.

o

And I have to believe that in the interim, improved technology must have reduced the manpower requirement per unit of measurement

o

And that addresses what issue, "in retrospect?" Flights, approach patterns and such are mostly computerized for commercial craft and bigger general aviation craft. Mistakes are still made and computer failures do occur, throwing the system into chaos and often causing delays and redirection to other airports.

o

To follow up a bit...

A pattern of furloughs will cause delays in major airports and may well close the smaller ones because replacements are not available nor will training of new air traffic controllers be increased. This is a slippery slope where stress-out controllers lose their edges and the systems revert to safety modes of endless maintaining of staging patterns of craft needing to land.

I had a BinL who flew for a major airline during the Reagan years and through the labor crisis. He was in constant fear of an accident happening on take offs and landings. He had the stewards and cabin crew checking adjacent runways and skies and reporting to him or the first officer/co-pilot. He soon transitioned into a training job in the few years remaining to full retirement.

o

So often I read about market forces determining price, which business survives and which does not, etc.
My simple (my choice of word) mind is waiting to see the airlines, airport management and ancillary services come together and keep things running smoothly by providing the money to keep the air traffic controllers on the job.

o

My simple (my choice of word) mind is waiting to see the airlines, airport management and ancillary services come together and keep things running smoothly by providing the money to keep the air traffic controllers on the job.

Ah ha! That would certainly be in their best interest, wouldn't it? Somehow I don't see that happening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here