Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well, that still leaves 80%

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 22:22

"Almost a fifth of China's soil is contaminated, an official study released by the government has shown.

Conducted between 2005-2013, it found that 16.1% of China's soil and 19.4% of its arable land showed contamination.

The report, by the Environmental Protection Ministry, named cadmium, nickel and arsenic as top pollutants.

There is growing concern, both from the government and the public, that China's rapid industrialisation is causing irreparable damage to its environment.

The study took samples across an area of 6.3 million square kilometres, two-thirds of China's land area.

"The survey showed that it is hard to be optimistic about the state of soil nationwide," the ministry said in a statement on its website.

"Due to long periods of extensive industrial development and high pollutant emissions, some regions have suffered deteriorating land quality and serious soil pollution."

Because of the "grim situation", the state would implement measures including a "soil pollution plan" and better legislation.

Levels of pollution ranged from slight to severe.

About 82.8% of the polluted land was contaminated by inorganic materials, with levels noticeably higher than the previous survey between 1986 and 1990, Xinhua news agency quoted the report as saying.

"Pollution is severe in three major industrial zones, the Yangtze River Delta in east China, the Pearl River Delta in south China and the northeast corner that used to be a heavy industrial hub," the agency said.

The report had previously been classified as a state secret because of its sensitivity.

There is growing fear in China over the effect that modernisation has had on the country's air, water and soil.

The central government has promised to make tackling the issue a top priority - but vested interests and lax enforcement of regulations at local level make this challenging.

The public, meanwhile, have become increasingly vocal - both on the issue of smog and, in several cases, by taking to the streets to protest against the proposed construction of chemical plants in their cities."

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well, that still leaves 80%

One thing that concerns me(and has for a while)is that even if the USA actually takes steps to clean up our own toxic mess(not that we will),the rest of the world can't be made to follow the example.

I guess nobody cares about the world they are leaving their children.
All anyone seems to care about is making profits and then ignoring the waste that builds up. Cleaning up after yourself is expensive,so just burn it,bury it in the backyard,or dump it in the river...whatever.

Makes me glad I don't have kids.

Is there any hope?

o

That's what we have to look forward to if industrial civilization endures long enough to allow such population densities in north america, or if Asia eventually erupts and succeeds in opening less-populated continents to rapid colonization.

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 8:56

I'm no expert, but this might be a lot more serious than just industrial pollution. China never had adequate supplies of fresh water even before industrialization, and when aquifers are depleted wells start pumping up metals, arsenic, and I think maybe cadmium, that have leached over many thousands of years from surrounding rock.

All over the planet depletion of fresh water stores is resulting in poisoning of vast areas of farm land, including right here in the U.S.

What China's going to do... This reminds me of the millions of people displaced by their government from farm villages to new but wretched tenements in cities that have no jobs for most of them. "Extra" people.

o

From everything I'm reading, China has 'turned the corner' on pollution, with everyone, including the gvt, knowing that they have to clean up their act or they're in for civil unrest.

They just installed more solar power in 2013 than the US has in its history.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 9:53

No surprise there since they burn more coal every day, I wonder what they do with their coal ash?

o

My guess is they mix it with other toxic waste and shape it into cheap Halloween costumes which they sell it in the US.

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 10:40

That's funny but actually pinged so strongly that I looked it up. How about first extracting aluminum ore, then selling the ash on world markets as a commodity used in a new type of cement?

o

•Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 9:53

"From everything I'm reading, China has 'turned the corner' on pollution, with everyone, including the gvt, knowing that they have to clean up their act or they're in for civil unrest.
They just installed more solar power in 2013 than the US has in its history"

That, David, is wonderful to know. I actually won't consume anything if I can ascertain it's from China, and I'm not Asian-phobic, that's not why.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here