Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kudos to OBAMA

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 23:30

GOTTA LOVE IT!

April 24, 2013
(Reuters)

"If they were thinking about getting tattoos, the Obama daughters may want to reconsider.

Speaking on NBC's "Today" show in a segment originally filmed before the Boston Marathon bombings, President Barack Obama revealed the strategy he and First Lady Michelle Obama have been using to keep their daughters away from tattoos.

What we've said to the girls is, 'If you guys ever decide you're going to get a tattoo, then mommy and me will get the exact same tattoo, in the same place, and we'll go on YouTube and show it off as a family tattoo,'" Obama said.

Our thinking is that might dissuade them from thinking that somehow that's a good way to rebel."

I can't say I did anything quite so bold, but I did make sure that until our daughters were of legal age, that they cared more what WE thought about them than what their friends thought about them.

It saved us all a lot of heartache.

Of course after legal age, what they do is their business.

Does anyone agree with what the Obamas said to their children?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kudos to OBAMA

I thought it was darned clever. :)

o

Excellent move, Obama parents!!

o

The family that tattoos together stays together...

o

In parenting, one must often choose battles fought carefully... this is one I have no issue with, as long as deep research and thought are put into it. Tattoos are forever, but the right one can be a beautiful statement of art reflecting who that person is.

o

But doesn't a person change over time so you must keep updating?

o

No No No..... when you're 18 ..knock yourself out girls...Until then NO

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 7:11

I don't know if children care what their parents think of them as much as they do not want to be embarrassed by them :) Probably a dose of both.

o

LOL om...first thing I thought was the girls saying ewwwww. Good thinking Mom and Dad.

o

Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 8:40

MrsK ... exactly!

o

Would you like to see my over the butt tat?

o

That's called a tramp stamp Richard...and no, but you could tell us who's name is portrayed there.

o

" I don't know if children care what their parents think of them as much as they do not want to be embarrassed by them :)"

Heh heh. The Obamas got it exactly right!

o

Brilliant! Too bad there was no you tube when daughter was growing up. I told her when she was 18 she could do it if she wanted. But something so permanent was not to be done when so young. And on my watch :-) She listened She's 26 and has no desire for one now.

I can use the you tube embarrassment angle with son if it becomes necessary.

o

I have to keep adding names as life goes on...

o

It would not have been my answer. But I do not see tatoos as a benefit to future life endeavors, health benefit, personal appearnce etc. If you have a dying need to express yourself there is paper and pencils and modern tech which is big enough if anyone has a need to make a statement. Writing and drawing on my body is not the way. IMO.

My way of parenting was my way or the highway if it went against what you are told was not acceptable. I was so bad about defacing your body I refused pierced ears. My sisters took my daughter out and had her ears pierced so they could put diamond earrings in her ears. I think the human body have all the holes you are suppose to have no need for added holes or writing or pictures on your body.

I have seen people walking around and they look like a walking billboard caring a Jewelry box. The first thing I think is do they have a home to hang their art work on walls and a dresser to keep a jewelry box without wearing all their belongings.

FYI...I threatened to have my sisters arrested and it took my parents to stop me. They did have it done by a doctor and my parents reminded me I had asked my sisters to be co-God parents. I had to question my judgement.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 9:17

The Obama girls might neutralize their parents dare loophole by both of them getting a different tattoo. If the girls get one, their parents have to get two.

o

I think it is just a family joke that they all laugh over--but the message gets across clearly, while they are laughing together.

Kate

o

I dont like the Obamaspolitics but I do think they are good parents with good family values. More blacks should aspire to their family skills.

o

Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 10:58

"more whites should aspire to their family skills"

o

Thanks, Ohiomom. More parents of every race should aspire to be the best parents they can be.

Every life is different, every parent and child an individual, and each situation may dictate a different tactic used.

But how one parent chooses to raise a child should not be so harshly judged by those who have never faced the same situation with the same life, the same child, or the same set of circumstances.

And the lame line always dragged through tattoo conversations about how tattoos look when one is aging... who really cares? Do you think 80 year old women are lining up, eager to show off the latest Sport's Illustrated bikini fashions? Tattoos look about the same on aging men, but we never hear any complaints tossed in that direction, do we?

It's my personal opinion that if more parents worried about their own parenting responsibilities and their own children, and worried less about what everyone else is doing or thinking, there'd be so many less problems within society.

The age at which a parent decides it's okay for their child to be pierced or tattooed is their business... not anyone else's.

o

They are wonderful parents. Thought this was funny. My kids had no desire to get tattoos. None. Never even came up. Daughter didn't even pierce her ears till she was 40 and son has no piercings or tattoos. Not to even mention the obvious, neither do I, not even pierced ears. No one in our family has tats except GD who has a tiny peace sign below her belly button. .

I was on the treadmill behind a cute girl with a blonde pony tail yesterday. Thin and fit from behind, but when she removed her warmup jacket her entire arm from wrist to neck was one gigantic tattoo or series of. I could only see this part of her body but I was thinking what parent would approve of this since she appeared quite young. A defaced area for the rest of her life. Try getting a job or try appearing to be unlike a biker chick later in life. Her entire arm was BLUE and that's the only part I could see.

o

It is of course our stereotyped notions that make us think that tats are trashy but having said that I was so against defacing my body that I equated getting my ears pierced with putting cow dung in my hair to make it stand on end-but my mother still dragged me off to the hospital where she had the chief surgeon pierce my ears-because I would not be able to wear good ear rings if I didn't have holes. Well, now I have to be cremated since I dont want to be dug up by future archeologists and be judged as a barbarian. Dont get me started on the idea of decorating your face with colored mud.

o

Several years ago I was in the check-out line at Walmart. There was an elderly lady being checked as she held a handful of coupons. A young woman was behind her wearing not too modest clothing and expressing impatience as she rolled her eyes.

I'm not so young anymore and don't care to see seniors disrespected. I leaned over and whispered to the girl "Young lady, your tattoo is showing." I don't know if she had a tattoo or where, but you should have seen the reaction.

o

At the gym I frequent, over the course of a year I noticed a 20-something woman and her much older, heavily tattooed boy friend who would come workout together. She got one, then two, the five, then twenty tats.

And now he's gone, and she's blue.

o

colored mud That's a chuckle. How many aisles in any drug store (not to mention Walmart, Target...) are devoted to just that?

You can pave over any imperfection with formulations for oily, dry, combination skin; good skin if you're lucky or not so lucky with maybe a ruddy patch or two. Finish it off with the perfect cheek color, lipstick, clumpless lash extending mascara, and shadows in subtle to neon with sparkles.

I avoided ear and any other piercings, no tattoos. Never could see the point and didn't have to decide gold, surgical steel, carat size.

o

lol, david....From a distance this young woman's whole arm looked like a gigantic purple bruise. You'd need to be in her face to see there are many just running together with no regular skin showing. Who even knows what's under her clothes?

In 50 years when they are old and wrinkly and sagging in the nursing homes, it will be fun seeing the tats then.

o

I was in Las Vegas for a "destination" wedding. A soon to be bride (but not part of our group) got out of a cab in full regalia - strapless, backless gown. She was totally/completely inked - chest up to above the collar bones, back, arms. And I could only hazard a guess legs and everywhere else. I'm rarely taken aback by things of that nature since they have to live with it and suffer any consequential slings and arrows they may face in social or work place arenas.

But this was amazing and not in a way I would think particularly good.

o

As tats become more common, the prejudice against them will lessen if not finally disappear.

o

I thought that was pretty clever of the Obamas'.
I kind of shot myself in the foot when I was in the Navy, because I had most of my pay allocated to a savings account back home. When I had shore leave, the little money I had left would afford me the comfort of female companionship and a few adult beverages. Penicillin was free afterwards on board the ship. Some of my fellow sailors would come back with beautiful artwork on them and rag me for not spending for the same.
45 years later, I'm not unhappy with the choices I made.

o

You were smart, Steve. How many of these people will spend tons of money (and pain) removing tattoos down the road? Even IF I was thinking of one which would never ever happen, it would be one of my cat or a heart or bird. Never a boyfriend or even a husband. Life is fill of changes. The only person I ever knew in my life with one when I was young was my uncle, a Navy sea-bee who came home with an Anchor one. I warned GD bout this ,and so far she only has a tiny peace sign where no one can see it unless she's in her bikini. I told her...no boyfriend ones. She has no piercings including her ears.

o

Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 14:35

When my dad was in the Phillipines (WWII) a guy in his unit got a letter from his wife with the news she gave birth to twins. He went out and got the pics tatooed on his behind, whenever he was drinking he would ask who wanted to see a pic of his kids ... yeah you guessed it he would pull down his pants and show them.

My father had two tats, both on upper arms. My youngest daughter has two tats, upper arms .... I would love a "phoenix", if there was someway to get it without a needle :)

o

nancy is right, "our" generation mostly finds tats objectionable. Our children's generation not so much. Even I find myself less offended by it. I've seen some really beautiful tats. Never would allow my sons to get them, as long as they lived in my house. Now two have none, one has one small one, and one is covered from neck to ankles. His choice, his money. But it is becoming so common to see the younger generation with them, and they'll all sag together later.

o

I'm not so sure that tats are ever going to be 'acceptable' in the higher realms of society.

I'll retract that when I see the CEO of Goldman Sachs with ink depicting a huge dragon on his neck.

o

• Posted by rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 15:33

Well, my little granddaughter-in-law got a tattoo when we were visiting in Puerto Rico. Let's just say not all tattoo "artists" are artists. Nor are all notions artistic. Her girlfriend had the sense to get a dainty little swirl design across the top of her butt. Our family gets to live with a clumsy heavy goulash of a design that's badly executed on top of it. At least she can forget it most of the time.

The Obamas are terrific, most especially because I'm sure their kids are sure they'd make good on that adolescents' nightmare scenario. :)

o

I think you are right Mrs. I don't like tatoos, I always thought that they were tacky. But I don't think that way any more. And I'm not offended by them. I can actually appreciate the artistry in some. But I am so happy that my son doesn't have one.

~Ann

o

I love my colorful skin art... every single piece. They look good because I take care of them. I'm 53.

When I'm 73 or 83, do you really think I'll give a rat's red rear end what anyone else thinks about them? I didn't get them to please anyone but myself, and I am pleased.

You wanna stand behind me in line at some store and stare, be my guest. You wanna roll your eyes, and make noises that alert everyone around you to your disgust, have fun. The only one who looks foolish is you... because you can't mind your own business and can't refrain from letting everyone else around you in on your nosiness.

Make sure you also get a good long look at the color and cut of my hair, how many piercings I have, and the style of my clothing. Take a picture while you're at it.

No one asked you to like the way everyone you encounter dresses or chooses to adorn themselves. That's their business.

o

The Obamas' tactics would not have worked for me when DS2 and I were "discussing" his getting a nipple ring.

o

I think the Obamas were brilliant. Good on them. I don't tell my daughter "NO" but I do point out that her proclivity for My Little Pony and Dora have passed....so might that cute boy or a pretty rose with a gun through it (GNR fans, take note).

I have tattoos. No one would ever know :) And I love them still, over 20 years ago and going strong. One on my lower hip that made it through childbirth no problem and just got touched up a couple years ago. I love it.

I think we all get a body and it's up to us what we do with it. I'm more offended by parents who have children with big old bright pink "mustaches" from their fake sugar drinks than those with tattoos.

Sometimes the ugly is outside. Most of the time it's inside.

o

yeh, my first entry said"more families should aspire to the obamas parenting skills". I changed it because this is 'hot topics" and I thought it may just get a response. Milder than Id thought.
I got a taton a forearm in '66 while in the army.Dont really know why? Never thought about geetin another. I hit the roof when youngest son got 1. Some arent too bad but to me they are mostly unbecoming.

o

When I saw the Obama's promise to the girls, I wondered what would have happened if they had said to their parents " Go for it!"

I think some tattoos are great ...when they serve a purpose as they did and do in tribal societies or social groups with deep roots. They tell a story of earned respect. They are not a permanent cosmetic application that says nothing except "I'm vain!" I wonder what thoughts go through the head of a person who has earned his body art when he sees someone sporting the picture of a no longer popular Rock Star or other such timeless images.

Considering the excellent non permanent paint and ink available for cosmetic tattoos I am surprised they are not more popular. Check out some of the wonderful henna designs you see from Asia. Henna is not legal for skin application in the US. Some ball point pens do a great job. Be cautious about getting any ink in an open wound. Even if you don't get an infection, it will be a permanent stain. So called black henna is often painfully dangerous to your skin even if it lasts longer than real henna.

o

I thought it was perfect.

The thought of a little public humiliation has always been a great deterrent for kids.

Unfortunately for the Obamas, they can't threaten to have dad answer the door in his underwear or have mom show up in her curlers and bathrobe.... but this threat was perfect... and got a giggle out of me.

I'm sure the girls got the message of what is acceptable behavior and what is not.

o

I appreciate all parents who set boundaries for their children. That said, there is no way those girls could get tattoos without the parents knowing. At least here in Washington state, you have to be 18 or have parental consent to get a tattoo. I can't imagine them sneeking off (secret service you know) to get away with much of anything. I wouldn't let my daughter get a tattoo while she was a minor. After she was 18 she had a horseshoe with her 1st horse's name put on her shoulder blade. It's very small & while I'm not crazy about tattoos, I have to admit this one isn't obnoxious. On the other hand, my husband's niece now has them all over her visible upper body & probably more. I don't think it is attractive, but that is just my opinion. She works in the Graphic Arts field, so probably doesn't hold her back in her field.

o

I find it a wonderful family joke, while getting the point across. They seem to be such a nice, close knit family. The whole family represents us so well, imo.

Im just not a tat fan or piercing fan except for earrings, I didn't get my ears pierced until my late 30 s and then spent the money to have my good earrings redesigned for pierced ears. I kept losing too many earrings that I loved.

I too think that tats are not what they once were. Much more acceptable. I do have a feeling that some sorts of tats have fallen out of fashion, just as clothing styles do. Now it seems to be shades of degrees of grays that are very popular and I do think that as tats they are much more appealing to my eye than the hard colors.

The best tats I ever saw were the ones on Angelina Jolie's upper arm :
the latitudes and longitudes of the birth place of each of her children, done in what looks to be a dark grey. Very nice.

Its just not for me, never was even when some friends started getting the butterflies on the backs of their shoulders in the early 80's - simply not how I roll, I prefer to express myself in other meaningful ways - and I think that's Ok too.

Marq, you could not be blamed for how you felt about others piercing your child's ears. Did they know how you felt? Is that even legal, for someone other than a parent to have a child's ears pierced? What were they thinking, to do such a thing?

Jodi - you go girl!

o

Marq, you could not be blamed for how you felt about others piercing your child's ears. Did they know how you felt? Is that even legal, for someone other than a parent to have a child's ears pierced? What were they thinking, to do such a thing?

Yes they knew. No it was not legal. They were thinking she should have her ears pierced not how I felt about the issue. They knew from that day on not to cross me though.

We all have the same family doctor and it is such a close relationship we have even been in the room when one or the other have an appointment for yearly check ups.

Going to the family doctor is like going to visit another family member. If the other sister needed prescription during another sister's visit we just ask him for one while he is examining the other sister.

He thought nothing of doing my daughter's ears when my sisters came in with her. When I was traveling if my daughter had an appointment one of them would take her for her appointment.
She is a asthmatic and there was always something going on that she needed to see the doctor. If she got a cold she had to see the doctor early on for breathing treatments, or antibiotic etc.

So to him it was like just another appointment that my sisters were handling the transportation.

o

Oh, I see how it happened, yes Ill bet you were steamed! But, on the positive side it also established very clearly who the mother was and who made the decisions, so in a way it was probably a good thing. One big blowout instead of a bunch of skirmishes ;)

What is wonderful is that they all were so invested in and so enjoying your little girl. I have always felt that extended family is so important to kids and if everyone lives within easy driving distance, so much the better - not always possible but to me its the ideal situation.
She had pierced ears and tons of love *LOL*

o

Mylab, what is truly distressing, and calamitous for children, and in my opinion borders on child abuse, is when I view children of any age that are overweight enough to be considered obese by the medical profession and by normal standards.

And I have seen many infants, toddlers, and children of about every age that fit that description. While a few may have issues of a medical nature they are dealing with, statistics do not lie... a majority are obese because of the poor diets they are fed or allowed to consume by their parents. Parents who are responsible for the health and well being of those offspring.

That bothers me no end, and I can imagine the teasing and bullying they may encounter as they grow up, attend school, and interact with other children of their own age group, many who will not understand how their words or actions can hurt.

Within many cultures, it's quite normal to pierce the ears of infant girls. And at certain teen ages, it might be appropriate to allow another piercing, or a small tattoo, or a mode of hairstyle or dress that, while being quite normal within one's own family, would raise the eyebrows of others who couldn't imagine.

Out of all these things we sometimes allow our children or teenagers, it is my opinion that poor health and eating habits are the very worst... and the most difficult to overcome once formed.

Fads come and go. Hair can grow out or be cut... clothing styles change... jewelry can be removed... even an unwanted tattoo can be covered or removed. But eating habits are hard to change, and weight often incredibly difficult to lose and keep off... and then there are the health issues caused by years of obesity that may not be reversed.

Just my opinion...

o

demifloyd, if my parents gave me such an 'ultimatum' when I was that age, I would have called their bluff.
Believe me, I have stories (and scars!) which give credibility to that statement.

o

Posted by ronalawn82 z9FL (ronalawn08@gmail.com) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 15:23

demifloyd, if my parents gave me such an 'ultimatum' when I was that age, I would have called their bluff.
Believe me, I have stories (and scars!) which give credibility to that statement.

I'm glad I didn't have a kid like you, then! ;)

o

She had pierced ears and tons of love *LOL*

Yes, it turned out to be a good thing. She has beautiful earrings and still have her first diamond earrings. Her favorite jewelry is earrings. Which I find amusing. The thing I objected the most is what she loves the most.

Plus the incident is a good family conversation how they wrestle their baby sister down got the phone out of my hand and called our parents to stop me from having them arrested. While my daughter was saying "but Mommy I wanted my ears pierced".

o

demifloyd, for the record, both my parents were very proud of me to the day of their death (my mother used to kiss my hand!); and I have been described as a model of filial piety.
The point I wish to state is that no parent, in this day and age, should put things to their children quite that way.
In a skewered way, I am reminded of this line;
"No love," quoth he, "but vanity, sets love a task like that." from this POEM of my childhood.

o

Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 18:33

I decided to let my daughters pick when they wanted to have their ears pierced as having it done as an infant (yes I have seen this) does not give the infant a choice.

My youngest (so much like her mama) was in such a hurry to grow up and begged and begged to have her ears pierced ... she was turning 9 and I reluctantly agreed.

So there she was getting them done, and her older sister (of course) said "me too" ... while her older sister was getting her's pierced I looked across the room and saw my youngest standing over by the wall with her back turned to us ... I walked over and saw tears pouring down her little face and it was like having my heart ripped out of my body. I do believe women are born with a "guilt gene" that kicks in after giving birth.

Needless to say any further piercings and/or tatoos were not done "on my watch" ... baby girl now has three earrings in one ear and two in the other and two tatoos, but trust me she got those when I no longer had to "sign on the line".

Sigh I was 24 when I got mine pierced and then only because my older sister bullied me into it.

Marquest wish they had taken a video of that :)

o

demifloyd, I raised a daughter to 'Stand up! Speak up!"
I will never forget the first time she questioned, "And why not???" It had to do with nail polish and she was about 7 years old.
My first instinct was, "Because I said so, dammitt!!!" But I held it back and told her that nail polish would be allowed for special occasions and with mom's permission.
To this day we speak our minds freely to each other; and I always enjoy our arguments.

o

Marquest wish they had taken a video of that :)

No video needed. It is, to this day, very vivid to all involved. It is remembered like it was yesterday. I still see the fear in my sisters eyes. I know they continue to say that my eyes changed colors and my head was spinning. After that they would not even put a band-aide on my daughter without a call to me. :)

What is strange to me is as close as we are why they did not know me and know how I would react.

My daughter has never had a desire to put any more holes in her ears or tatoos.

I agree with David on this one.....
I'm not so sure that tats are ever going to be 'acceptable' in the higher realms of society.

I'll retract that when I see the CEO of Goldman Sachs with ink depicting a huge dragon on his neck.

It is a choice, where you live, profession, and how far you want to go in that profession. If they even let you in the door in the business world.

o

Posted by ronalawn82 z9FL (ronalawn08@gmail.com) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 21:06

demifloyd, I raised a daughter to 'Stand up! Speak up!"
I will never forget the first time she questioned, "And why not???" It had to do with nail polish and she was about 7 years old.
My first instinct was, "Because I said so, dammitt!!!" But I held it back and told her that nail polish would be allowed for special occasions and with mom's permission.
To this day we speak our minds freely to each other; and I always enjoy our arguments.

Good for you. I'm glad you have that relationship.

I did the same thing.

Older daughter and I have frequent conversations about social issues which seem to frustrate her, but we pretty much agree on the desired outcome, just not how to achieve it.

I encouraged them to think for themselves--which isn't necessarily like I think, or like their father thought--and I'd rather disagree with them on issues than think they just parroted what they saw and thought--but then, we reared them to respect authority but that common sense, ethics and standards usurped absolute authority now and then.

Younger daughter had additional ear piercings a few years ago.
She was over 18, not my business. No tattoos or other piercings, though, although three nieces from both sides of the family have tattoos and additional piercings. Weird--none of the boys do.

I do wonder what they'd think if I sold the house, bought a Harley and stopped by the local tattoo parlor before taking off into the Wild Blue Yonder.

Something tells me someone would be looking for a POA.

That's why I liked what the Obamas said.

Although as someone mentioned, you can't just bluff.
They have to know you mean it.

o

Some smart person someday is going to make a fortune developing a pain free, very cheap method for tattoo removal. I would love for it to be an OTC thing rather than something only specialists or doctors could apply, keeping it something much cheaper than the cost of a tattoo and able to remove a large tat completely with one application.
That way, what might appeal to a 19 year old but then appall the 30 or 40 year old can easily and cheaply be undone. It has never so much been the tats themselves I had a hard time with but the problem of the permanence of them. Not even professionals can completely remove deep, thick black or colored ink from the body. Its the 'no going back' part that makes them objectionable in my eyes. Then, people can be silly and have the names of their partners tattooed on and not feel like a fool ten years later when their face cant be exactly recalled in detail but the name is still inked on their hip bone *LOL* ...that has to be the worst!

I must admit, I can't visualize David Beckham's body without those various shades of gray tats up his arm and over a lot of his body, its so much a part of his appearance - from what I read, each blends continuously into another, personally designed, about the meaningful people and events in his life. Do they actually enhance his looks or is it not possible for anything to detract from his looks? ;)
Maybe he can easily get away with it because he is a superstar, and because of simple gray shading and art style of tatting he chose. It certainly isn't applied and continued by the tattoo shop down the street, that's for certain.
But I cant see George Clooney or Clive Owen getting away with it easily no matter if they had applied the same gray shading and artistic methods, so its not just superstar status - because they are superstars, too, in their own field.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here