Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funny not! Congress can find an exception for sequestration

Posted by Bothell none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 23:50

If it impacts or inconveniences them. Amazing that they have found a loophole/funding for the screening for airports & air travel so that they can get home on yet another vacation. What a disgusting, self-serving bunch they are. Everyone of them should be voted out of office.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funny not! Congress can find an exception for sequestration

Congress certainly can work fast when something affects them (their away from the hill time to schmooze and booze with their political contributors) and the business travelers and the more affluent flying public.

So what if seniors miss a few meals on wheels; so what if kids get their names thrown into lotteries for head start spots; so what if WIC programs are slashed; so what if Medicare patients are denied their cancer treatments.

Winners and losers. Can you pick which ones are which?

I hope the voting public remembers this crap in November 2014.

o

"Congress certainly can work fast when something affects them..."

Yeah, DH & I had a chuckle over that before dinner. Haha.

o

Winners and losers. Can you pick which ones are which?

Boehner said he got 98% of what he wanted from the Budget Control Act of 2011.

-Ron-

o

hey, won't this also benefit grumpy old, retired people who travel?

o

Only if the meals (on wheeled carts) consist of more than a bag of peanuts.

o

I'll report back, duluth, as to how many seniors I see traveling when I'm on yet another business trip this week. I'll be on the lookout for those eating peanuts.

o

Uh oh.

Glad I bring my own almonds and cashews.
I sure don't want to be considered a senior intent on peanuts.

I do get a little grumpy when delayed, but generally just sit back and remind myself that no one is dead and read my Kindle or watch people.

A flight last month scheduled to depart at 6:30 am and necessitated my leaving here at 4:30 am was canceled by Delta at 3:40 a.m they kindly woke me up to advise me I'd be flying through Atlanta, and getting in five hours later than planned. Then two hours more hours in Atlanta sitting on a plane because the cockpit door broke when the flight attendant tried to secure it as we were backing out of the gate. Six hours late and an afternoon lost.

I think the only plane that left on time that day was the one I was supposed to connect in Memphis. Delta got me there 25 minutes late and although the gate was 3 minutes away, it had already left. Next flight was canceled as well, so I waited 7 hours at the Memphis airport. Not a soul around, halls were empty. The good thing about the Memphis airport is if you're not nauseated, the call of barbeque wafting through the terminal is a nice distraction.

Air travel is changing and this is just an example.
It's just not the crowded planes and lack of amenities, extra charges and lost luggage.

It's lack of choices, escalating costs, and too often bad customer service, from the security personnel to airline personnel.

That's another thread.

o

"Congress certainly can work fast when something affects them..."

Just confirms what we all know. Whatever it is, it's the way it is because electeds want it that way.

o

Amazing. Something we all seem to be in agreement on.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 13:20

The only thing worse than inconveniencing a representative is the threat from a constituent to vote for someone else because of a huge delay at the airport, upsetting vacation plans. We all know how our representatives voted, we can hold them accountable.

Most things that happen in the hallowed halls of Congress don't affect us directly like the sequester does. Meat inspectors are back on the job, too.

o

I believe the one job Congress did not want to create was a food taster for the Congressional cafeteria (s). Meat inspectors affect them, too.

These mutts are on a nine day vacation! Will work (har de har har) for a bit, then start another nine day break on May 24th. Congress’ Gallup poll approval rating this month was 15 percent. No wonder it's a wonderment.

o

It's a vicious cycle. Citizens United has Congress and the Senate completley indebted to the Big Donors who are all for privatizing as much as possible. Not even the threat of "90% of the voters favor..." (background checks) holds any sway anymore, because the Big Donors will coach them how to sweet talk their constituents and throw out red herrings when the time comes.

o

Oh so very smooth airport experiences tonight! Lots of business travelers in the skies as well. Thank you Congress!

o

Has impacted me yet, but I "fly" the Amtrack...

o

And Eric Cantor gloats:

The relevant portion of Cantor’s memo:

As a CQ / Roll Call reporter tweeted last night, “Make no mistake, this FAA fix is a complete, utter cave by Senate Democrats and, if signed, by the White House.” This is a sentiment expressed in other press reports over the last 12 hours, including, Politico: “Democrats blink first on aviation” and Chicago Tribune: “White House Scrambles For Damage Control.”
Consider that the Democrats opening position was they would only replace the sequester with tax increases. By the first of this week Senator Reid proposed replacing the whole sequester with phony war savings. And by last night, Senate Democrats were adopting our targeted “cut this, not that” approach. This victory is in large part a result of our standing together under the banner of #Obamaflightdelays." end quote

I guess this works with those folks who believe that the President, not the Congress, authorizes taxes and spending.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here