Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jodi Arias No verdict, Can you beleive that?

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Sat, May 25, 13 at 3:34

I don't want to give her more mention, but I am shocked that it wasn't a unanimous death sentence. Or at least Life in prison. The jury had to agree that they could invoke a death penalty if needed, I wonder what changed their ability to sentence death. At least life in prison? Travis's family has to suffer longer and suffer financial setbacks etc because these people lied about being able to be responsible for making a decision. I don't get it. If they were not able to sentence her to death, there was the option of Life in prison. This jury needs a wakeup call. Something is fishy here. If they don't want death, there is life in prison. What other fate does someone want for her? Sorry, It is not fair. None of it makes sense.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jodi Arias No verdict, Can you beleive that?

After seeing the death photos, which are online if you are curious enough to search. They are graphic. I have a young brother and would do away with someone who would hurt him. I wonder if they were paid off. They aren't sequestered. I am probably wronge, but very suspicious.

o

You may be suspicious about this, but it is one thing to convict someone of a crime, even first degree murder, but it is a very different thing to then decide whether a person should live or die, regardless of his/her crime.

Juries are made up of human beings and not all human beings think alike, believe the same.

I'm not surprised, in the least, that the jury became deadlocked on the issue of life in prison or death.

Not sure how many people even want to be in the position to decide whether someone should live or die as a punishment for a crime committed and convicted of.

On the other hand, I am against the death penalty for anyone, regardless of the crime.

I don't believe that anyone, including the government has the right to kill someone as punishment for a crime and apparently there where enough people on this jury that also felt the same way as I do.

I applaud the jury members that wouldn't agree to put her to death.

A civilized society, a civilized government just doesn't continue to have the death penalty for any reason.

o

You are mistaken. There has been a verdict, she was found guilty. This part of the trial was for punishment - life in prison or death.

I'm glad they deadlocked.

o

I am for the death penalty in rare cases that fall within certain narrow parameters and DNA providing proof necessary of guilt if there are no witnesses.

If the convicted murderer poses a very great threat to the anonymous public - like serial killers or committed terrorists, all who have been convicted of murders, some of them would certainly qualify to be judged a grave threat against society should unforeseen circumstances arise which caused them to end up outside the confines of the prison walls.

The jurors on that case could very well have been truthful in their answer that they could render a verdict of the death penalty and yet for reasons they found compelling, they did not think the death penalty was warranted in THIS particular case after hearing all the evidence. Perhaps they felt that now this woman was no longer a strong threat to society.
The decision they had to make is what this phase of the case was all about, after all. Some jurors obviously found that she should be put to death and felt this so strongly that evidently they found themselves unable to vote any other way. It is unfortunate that they could not vote for life without parole instead, putting a period at the end of this case, but this is how our system is supposed to operate.

I think that with life, there should be a punishment that includes something uncomfortable that must be performed correctly every day in order to keep other privileges, something performed for several hours a day.

Like moving a pile of rocks from one spot to another spot 25 yards away. A chore that has no meaning, gives no sense of accomplishment but is done as only as a consequence for outrageous crimes against another person. Then they can return to the decent life that is often forged in prison and then do the good works or work on a higher education and perform tasks which are meaningful and can bring a sense of accomplishment. I believe that life in prison is often something that people adjust to, often quite well, and often can make themselves a reasonable, meaningful and contented life within prison. Good for them.

But a period of time each day in a physical labor (health permitting of course) that is not excessive but is also detested because it is meaningless is something I feel should be considered for those who commit such a deplorable crime against another that they are sentenced to life as a result.
Of course, jmo on the subject.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here