Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What dietary indiscretions are you indulging in?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 5:50

This weekend kicks off the summer season of decadent delights--hot dogs, potato chips, ice cream! You get the idea, share yours, mine are all of the above...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What dietary indiscretions are you indulging in?

You might not believe it, but none. Last night, my husband made his organic chicken stew, and we had his organic bread made with coconut flour. My only indulgence is coffee, and it's free trade.

We don't eat those kinds of things anymore... the kinds that have preservatives or nitrates in them, etc... haven't in a while.

I know... boring... but delicious.

o

I'll have second helpings for you...

o

You do that... I don't mind eating my husband's delicious cooking and baking. The guy is a kitchen genius! Last night, he was looking at recipes for organic chocolate chip cookies made with coconut flour and organic chocolate. I can't wait! :-)

o

Well, you had better treat him good, and not just on holidays...

o

Don't you worry about that, Tobr... he might be the kitchen genius, but I do quite well in other rooms.. er, uh... I treat him very well. ;-)

Ever known a guy that's never awoken without a waiting cup of hot coffee just the way he likes it? And that's only the start of his day. We do very well together. :-)

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend, in spite of some rainy or chilly weather.

o

Doesn't sound like the weather will put a damper on your day...

o

Actually, I'd like to be out there working in the gardens or getting the grass cut... but it's still raining. It has been for several days now.

o

I made the cats turkey & pumpkin puree yesterday!

o

My DH made BBQ spareribs last night and they were out of this world. If it weren't for BBQ ribs, I'd be a vegetarian.

o

I tend to have more grilled skinless chicken breast, fish and vegetables in the summer, plus drink a lot more water.

o

Today will be jumbo grilled shrimp, portabello mushrooms, tomatoes, onion and squash kebabs over saffron rice, with a side of fresh guacamole. Fresh cocktail sauce on the side for the shrimp. Organic green tea to drink.

I did make a mandarin orange pineapple cake but it is light and not too sweet, and for someone else, athough I might have a slice.

o

I dont know what we will have since we will be guests at a barbeque and were told not to bring a thing.

They love wine so I will arrive with a bottle of wine along with a bouquet of deep pink roses and white roses (pinks-Princess Alexandria Of Kent and whites- Iceburg) picked early this morning from my garden, which are now chilling in my small " cut flower holding fridge" right now.

I dont care what she is serving - heck, I didnt have to plan it or prep it, only assist in the clean up and can enjoy the good food with a great group of good buddies.
Im looking forward to today, it's the very first barbeque get together of the season. And the only cool, dry day projected for the entire week - after that, rain all week, which is GOOD news for my flower beds!

o

The roses sound wonderful, Mylab!

The sun has finally made an appearance, and I can finally go out and cut some fresh roses to bring inside, myself! I'm so excited... the sun is out!

(As we get older, I guess we get easier to please!) :-)

Lucky cats, Joe... we have an Olde Bulldogge that Hoovers the floor post kitchen use... and I split the leftovers between her, the other two dogs, and the barn cats. Nobody gets left out.

I really need to do a cache clean out, some maintenance, and a reboot... plus, there is that sunshine to enjoy... have a good day, everyone!

o

I unfortunately, can't indulge in any "dietary indiscretions" since my surgery. Removing 3" of my small intestine has wreaked havoc on my diet. No dairy products, and fat also upsets me - so much that I decide that the end result is not worth even a little indulgence. So, I am still losing weight and wonder if it will ever stop before I waste away to nothing (I would have a ways to go as I am not yet at my high school weight).

Demi, your meal sounds wonderful and I could eat everything on it. I'm saving the menu. I might fix Jambalaya today (I bought some Gulf shrimp at our local crab shack and froze them). It's cloudy and rainy so no plans for picnicing - it's more of a soup kind of day. Our furnace even came on this morning.

o

My dietary summer indulgences, and I save calories all winter for them, are corn on the cob dripping with butter and salt, barbecued hamburgers with fried onions, sliced avocado, and chipotle mayo, and new potato salad with real mayo (none of that calorie smart stuff involving yogurt). And my DH sits right beside me indulging in my indulgences and loving every bite.

o

I went in to my local grocery store for canned cat food and coffee. I got them, but somehow a couple of cartons of Breyers Ice Cream (2 for $5.00) hitchhiked out in my basket.

o

Been indulging all weekend. B b que ribs, potatoe salad & corn muffins one night, fresh Copper River salmon & grilled asparagus the next. Maybe that's why I'm being a couch potatoe right now.

o

Berries -- one of the true joys of summer.

o

mnnn berries & yogurt, berries & sour cream, berries & wildflower honey, berries & balsamic vinegar. MNNNNNNN Berries all kinds!

o

Speaking of ice cream, have any of you tried Mango Mochi from Trader Joe's? Now that's an indiscretion worth indulging in!.

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Tue, May 28, 13 at 8:05

o

French fries and a big cheeseburger yesterday at a local pub. Gym today to begin to pay for that.
Tonight just a salad with walnuts, blue cheese crumbles, and craisins--the indulgence continues, but slowing down.

o

I never go off my mostly vegetarian diet, haven't had a hamburger or hotdog in decades ,but we sorta went insane in the icecream department. Husband eats most of it and already had two 1/2 gallons in the freezer, his usual supply. Then the local grocer ran a 3 for $6 special of Turkey Hill, his favorite, not mine. He bought his three favorites, and then I needed my brand and only flavor I eat...coffee ice cream with caramel swirls, pecans, and chocolate truffles. So our kitchen is an icecream parlor. Today was SIL birthday, and we had delicious couscous with much curry, raisins ,walnuts and other spices, fresh berries, watermelon, and corn on the cob and red velvet cake.

Always on his birthday we eat out in their yard but we determined it was too chilly at 67. I hope in two weeks when it's my time to host son's birthday, it warms up.

I wish you people would send some rain., We're in a drought approaching minus four inches and really could use RAIN!!!

o

We were away in Delaware for a baseball tournament so it was eating out most meals (we rented a house but didn't have much time for cooking). Biggest indulgence was ice cream. I am not even a big ice cream fan, but there's a farm near the baseball complex that we had read about before going. Absoulute best ice cream I've ever had. Everyone agreed. First time, cappucino delight (double strength coffee ice cream with heath bar pieces), hot fudge and whipped cream. Second time (yes, we went twice!) coffee ice cream, hot fudge, wet walnuts and whipped cream. The whipped cream was unbelievable. Amazing the difference when it comes right out of the cow versus from the grocery store.

Also had some very good crab cakes and even found a fantastic lobster roll.

And, most amazing of all, I only gained 1 pound!

For the summer, it's always a struggle to find good healthy food when we're always at baseball games. We try to avoid to snack shacks at the games because for the most part it's just fried, yucky, greasy food. But, there are days when there's no time to find something else and we're stuck eating that.

On the other hand, summer fruits are my absolute favorite - melons, berries. So, I eat a lot of that all summer.

o

Oh, man... I never get to be a couch potato! My job doesn't stop because of weekends or holidays. Animals require care and feed 7 days a week, 365 days a year... but there are rewards in what I do, so if they're happy... I'm happy.

I think we may be "indulging" in homemade tapioca pudding tonight... though the ingredients will be all natural. I can't wait!

Well... no more sun... looks like more clouds and rain. Yep. Big storm.

o

well, cooking on a small cooker with no oven is likely to cramp my style so I suspect biscuits are going to be absolutely huge in my future eating habits.
Otoh, the numerous fruit bushes are coming into their bounteous glory despite ongoing warfare with feral pigeons - although this is often mitigated by the endless nightmare of jamming and preserving - why I ever fondly imagined myself as a possible earth mother is a mystery since my major repetoire consists of stuff on toast....but hey, at least I do have a grill.

o

I had 1/2 a dairy free coconut ice cream bar coated with dark chocolate and chopped almonds. For the most part, my family also eats like jodik. Unlike jodik, I do the cooking so I don't have to "treat anyone good", lol. (jodik, just clarifying this is not a shot but like your husband I loooove being in the kitchen!)
Jillinnj, me too, can't wait for the summer fruits to be in season.

o

Campanula, we have subsisted for so long without having all the necessary kitchen appliances, all at one time, that we've simply learned to adapt quickly, as life changes from one day to the next. We've always been survivors. We'd probably turn those nasty pigeons into dinner, thus salvaging the fruits!

We were recently introduced to the single, counter top induction burner, and have acquired a small convection oven... truly upping our cooking game substantially.

I get what you mean, Cookie! :-)

I'm a mediocre cook at best, and do much better in the growing of the produce to be cooked, or in the shopping department, though my husband is quickly learning the shopping end of it all, and has a piqued interest to learn how to grow things, so that's a good thing.

I'm also the kitchen cleanup crew, which I suppose I don't mind... at least I'm reaping the benefits of great cooking!

I admit, I did feast on tapioca pudding last night... ate the whole bowl! But it was created right here, and only the most natural ingredients were used... no sugar, nothing with preservatives, etc. It was fantastic... it always is!

o

I eat four kinds of berries every lunch year round , so I'm in pig heaven in summer when they are all grown locally and not in Brazil. The west coast cherries are in and are soooo good.

Jill , the sundaes you mentioned would have me back at least every day. I adore coffee icecream with wet walnuts, and Heath bars are my favorite candy. Sounds yummy.

o

tapioca pudding with NO SUGAR - cripes, Jodik, that sounds like those awful school dinners back in the 60s (although they saved my life, for sure).

OMG, sugar - the worst, most addictive pernicious drug known to humankind!

o

Cherries! I love cherries. Cherries, melons and berries (and baseball!)...no wonder I love summer so much!

I do not find sugar to be that bad. Everything in moderation, of course. I do not add sugar to any drink (coffee black no sugar, unsweetened iced tea) and do not drink soda or any of the mass produced drinks. But, sugar in baking is necessary IMO. I don't like things overly sweet, but some sugar is needed. Tapioca pudding is not my thing though. Never liked it. Nor do I like bread pudding or rice pudding. Give me homemade pies or cookies...yum!

o

The processed sugar was abandoned, and in its place is the most delicious organic honey from Canada. I can't even describe how much better it tastes, Campanula! We use it as "the" sweetener these days, when required.

As I said somewhere, there's a big difference in the cooking, and I'm not sure how the "old guy" is dealing with the differences in ingredients when it comes to organic cooking, but he does a wonderful job with substitutions and whatnot.

I need my sweet fix every once in a while... and organic honey is my "medicine" of choice these days! It's clearly a better option for me than processed or artificial sugars, health wise.

o

As I said before, I never buy sugar except to feed the bees in the fall and spring. I don't drink soda and never put sugar in my coffee or tea or anything. I don't have a sugar bowl. Now, sugary stuff is not a good taste anymore for me. I get my sugar naturally in the fruit.

o

well let me say that I have indulged willy-nilly in all sorts but my complete addiction to sugar is the major reason I can carry my teeth in my pockets - and, as they are so ill-fitting, I usually do - I refer to it as a 'tooth holiday;'

o

Camp, I know that in England biscuits can mean something other than what we yanks mean when we refer to biscuits (my deeply southern grandmother could make the best biscuits! I, however, cannot) and am wondering what you mean when you refer to biscuits....since they must be baked without an oven Im trying to figure out the logistics of the way you would prep them please educate me about the term and please explain the prep method? I am fascinated with how you and Jodi manage with the limited kitchen appliances , Im sure many lessons are learned through trial and error as necessity is the mother of invention - Im very interested!

Jodi, I read about some study last year about honey. I used to go out of my way to buy local since local honey was supposed to be helpful with allergy symptoms so I made myself take a teaspoonful per day - but unfortunately the study proved that honey doesn't help combat allergy symptoms after all, local or not.
It also stated that in taste tests people could not tell the different tastes from different regions. I cant discuss this since I have never been a big fan of the flavor of honey (gasp! heresy! haha) so I dont know much about it - but thought I would pass this on for whatever it is worth, which is probably very little.
Also, Im wondering what would make honey qualify as being organic, is it the way its packaged? I cant imagine it would be 'processed' in any way or that additives would be present as the bees do make a perfect food product to begin with....but that has never stopped companies so what do I know?

o

I do not like the taste of honey. So that doesn't work for me. But, I'm not sure it woud be a good substitute in baking anyway? My DH uses honey in his tea instead of sugar. I don't add any sugar to tea, so that doesn't matter for me. I have seen people in coffee shops in NYC add honey to their coffee. I keep meaning to get DH to try that to see if he can stop using sugar in his coffee but I keep forgetting.

lily - you never have a homemade cookie or pie of pie or cake? That's the only place I get sugar.

o

Isn't our "cookie" the UK biscuit? Isn't our biscuit (ie baking powder, etc) more akin to a scone in the UK?

Seems Hyacinth Bucket would take out a tin of biscuits, put a few on a plate for Liz to accompany her beaker of tea.

o

Also, Im wondering what would make honey qualify as being organic, is it the way its packaged? I cant imagine it would be 'processed' in any way or that additives would be present as the bees do make a perfect food product to begin with....but that has never stopped companies so what do I know?

Mylab, I had the same question.

My first thought was that the only way to consider honey "organic" would be the assurance that the bees only had access to organic nectar, untouched by pesticides or man made intervention. That might be more than difficult to assure.

Here's a link:

Organic honey certified?

Having raised bees with my dad as a young person, I'm good with "non organic" honey.

o

yes, absolutely, cookies!.....which, I have to say, I rarely make myself (change that to never). Mmmm, am eating one (so far) as I type - a white chocoilate and almond confection. After my knees started to ache last year, I was obliged to go on a diet (144 pounds!!! and I am only 5 foot tall). Anyhow, the diet merely consisted of eating everything I always do....except for biscuits/cookies - 2 stone in 5 months!....but here I am, snacking again - although my knees remain in fine fettle.
Ha, Demi - I often wonder what exactly constitutes 'organic'.......suspect it is merely a marketing title. I confess to not exactly being very 'organic' myself since Roundup has always been my go-to method of maintaining some sort of cordon-sanitaire around my slacker neighbours at the allotment.

o

Well, first off is the difference in color. The honey we buy is almost white and thick as the thickest glue. It looks nothing like store bought honey, even the organic honeys sold locally.

It's not golden, it's not as thin, and it tastes so much sweeter... a little tiny bit goes a long way. We buy it from a small company that specializes in only natural, organic items.

Mylab, I didn't mean medicine in the normal capacity... I meant as it pertains to my sweet tooth. :-)

There's a huge difference between what most people eat or buy... and what we've come to know as truly healthful, nutritive food ingredients.

o

My bees go wherever they choose to fly, even to the end of my town to a friend's lavender patch. I have no control over them or where they go. Does this make it organic since they aren't on farmland?

Jill, Nope. Don't eat cookies, cakes or pies except on special occasions such as SIL b-day party last night where I had three bites of a red velvet cake. Icecream I DO eat.

o

"Does this make it organic since they aren't on farmland?"

Quite the opposite. Who knows where they've been and whether the blossoms they've been visiting have been sprayed with/grown in who knows what. Ah well, what you don't know can't hurt ya.

_______
The OP: "What dietary indiscretions are you indulging in?"

I'm going to cut some rhubarb in the a.m. and put a pie in to bake while I plant carrots & parsnips. Then I'm gonna eat the pie. With Butterfinger ice cream.

o

Cherries! I love cherries. Cherries, melons and berries

I'm with you on those but I have to add peaches and plums into the mix. Can't wait until peach season.

But I also love my chocolate and ice cream too.

o

The only way I like honey is as a home made baked bread loaf but I very rarely eat bread. I often make loaves of honey oatmeal bread to give away as little friendly gifts and my husband likes it so I make and freeze dinner rolls to take one out, defrost, rise and bake off for him to have with his supper.
I actively dislike maple syrup, if a recipe calls for maple syrup I know its not for me.
I do like recipes flavored with molasses though, love black molasses cookies and bake a batch once every couple of years on a snowy winter day, if I think about it. They are great to dunk in strong black coffee, yum!

o

Well, first off is the difference in color. The honey we buy is almost white and thick as the thickest glue. It looks nothing like store bought honey, even the organic honeys sold locally.

That is the type of honey we buy at the grocery store. White, not yellow, thick, gooey. No idea if it's sweeter since I don't use it. But it's the type DH likes best (so maybe it is sweeter!).

Cherries! I love cherries. Cherries, melons and berries

I'm with you on those but I have to add peaches and plums into the mix. Can't wait until peach season.

Oh yes, also love peaches and plums. And nectarines. It's just harder to find good ones (mostly peaches). Gets frustrating to buy them and throw them away because they are not good.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 8:21

I buy my honey from a farmer, don't think it is organic but definitely no additives ... maple syrup also (not the stuff in the grocer).

Looking forward to the growing season and locally grown fruits and veggies from my CSA

Everyone's food sounds good to me, don't do much cooking these days :)

o

I think what makes it organic is that the bees have no access to anything that would be GMO, and it's not thinned down to make it go further, though it's my husband that has done the research and purchasing.

In any case, it's not the typical honey sold. I think it tastes much better, much sweeter.

Most syrups are pure processed sugars these days, so we don't use that anymore, either.

o

Seriously I don't think there is a fruit that exists that I don't love and eat. Our strawberry crop will be late this year. Now is when it's usually here. But the cherries are to die for from the west coast.

My bees honey is very light right now, but will turn very dark in the fall.

o

What dietary indiscretions are you indulging in?

All of them - in moderation of course. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here