Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uncle Sam wants to work on your waistline!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 6:22

With obesity now at epic proportions your Uncle is looking at how to intervene in your eating habits to reduce fat, salt and sugar. Higher taxes on clearly fattening products seems to be their strongest concept like what happened with cigarets. Surely you would welcome Uncle for dinner...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uncle Sam wants to work on your waistline!

Shirley I would, on this issue. He can tax the crap out of Nabisco products.

Just don't tax my organic fruits or my brazilian coffee or anything like that, ok?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, May 11, 12 at 7:47

Wheat and refined sugar were kicked off the island here, dairy (from cows) is history .. organic goat's milk and cheeses only and these I am fortunate to get through my job.

Processed foods add nothing but a waistline.

I am with you PNB .. you will take my coffee (black, no sugar or cream) out of my cold dead hand (^_^)

My local farmer lost his entire apple, pear and peach crop due to the unusual weather ... sigh. 80's in March ? Not normal.

o

Tax fast food higher than other restaurants.

o

Just wait till Obamacare kicks in--people will be paying these higher taxes on unhealthier foods they consume and it will be sad that they're poor and can't pay the higher prices on Cheetos and beer and the healthier and wealthier WILL BE PAYING FOR IT.

The government is too involved in our lives.

o

I'm all for government control of diets. :) And other assorted unhealthy lifestyles.

It wouldn't be fair to tax fast food restaurants and allow places like Applebee's,Olive Garden,Panini's etc. to dish out high calorie, high fat, high carb foods without a higher tax. They too offer food that contributes to obesity.

My policy is when dining in finer restaurants, meet the chef. If he or she is fat, don't eat there.

Applebee's serves several 3,700 calorie dinners along with a few 2,500 calorie appetizers. Add a beer to your order and you go home with 7,000 calories.

o

You're right brush - those places do have some very high calorie dishes! I'd need a better approach than just taxing fast food.

o

I'm up in the air on this one. I detest so much government intrusion, but junk food is fast and cheap. That's what people want and higher taxes is not going to stop them. I know many smokers and ex-smokers, and I really can't think of one that has quit because of the higher cost (almost $10 a pack for some brands!!).

In my line of work, I am always asked for health and nutrition advice. The first thing I tell people is, "do not eat anything out of a box or bag." The first thing they say is, "I don't have time to cook." There isn't much else I can do at that point.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, May 11, 12 at 9:20

I see where my hometown of Richmond is now ranked as #2 in the nation for obesity. We try harder.

o

It is stunning how obese our nation is...go to a school and see how many overweight kids there are.

Our food supply is toxic and I do think the government can do many things to fix this! Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution is doing a lot with school programs.

Ok...but c'mon we love Applebees and they have a weight watchers menu!

o

Watch the new Wendy's commercials and you'll notice where the beef settles. :)

Arthur Treacher's has closed 3 area restaurants after remodeling them last year. The owner admitted that fried fish doesn't interest many folks these days.

I'm glad they're gone!

o

Fri, May 11, 12 at 10:14

Houseful meet an "ex-smoker" who did not quit for her health but because they cost too much ... not gonna be a hypocrite on this one, glad I quit (for my health) but that was not my original reason for quitting.

Quitting wheat ?? LMAO ... bet ya have no idea how addictive it is, go ahead give it a shot you will feel so much better. Refined sugar was easy, like my coffee black and my tea really does not need sweet stuff.

I do not eat at restaurants, and fixing a "quick" dinner at home is very easy with fresh ingredients.

Fresh food is not as expensive as meat, which is off the island unless I run across a local farmer who raises organic, don't touch the stuff from the grocer.

I heat healthy on a LOW INCOME diet, no excuses folks !!

Buy fresh and in season and FREEZE and/or DRY it. AND PLEASE buy from your local farmers/farmers markets !!

1/2 penny

o

"The government is too involved in our lives."

Amen, Sistah!!!

For me, it's hardly ever about Democrats vs. Republicans, Conservative vs. Liberals, Tea Party vs. Occupiers. For me it all comes down to

"The government is too involved in our lives."

(Jillinnj, Marquest, you paying attention here?)

Personally, I'd rather die younger and free than old and in a cage.

Hay

o

I'm sitting on the fence on this one. I've no excuse for those who say they don't have time to cook. Anyone can be creative with beans and rice or throw together a salad or homemade soup. I think the govt has to do something, but I'm not sure what, exactly.

You can wean yourself from sugar and salt. I've done it. Substitute fresh herbs for seasoning.

vgkg, I'm shocked to hear that about Richmond. One thing I've noticed since moving to Charleston is that the natives are mostly thin and fit (only the tourists are fat). I'm convinced it's because this is a bike friendly city with sidewalks everywhere. Having a car and parking it is such a liability that many walk almost everywhere in the city, as I do.

o

A friend and I were just saying the other day that when we were in high school, an overweight student was the exception. And I don't remember a single obese person in my high school. Yet, today so many teenagers are overweight and obese.

When I was a kid, poor people were skinny. They couldn't afford twinkies and chips. Now poor people are no longer skinny. Twinkies and chips are cheaper than fresh vegetables. Fast food is so cheap it's hard for poor people to avoid. It should not be cheaper to eat at McDonalds than it is to cook a fresh meal for your family.

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but something needs to be done.

o

Beans, rice, veggies, fruits,...those are awesome foods.

My daughter's family is gluten free and I love dining down there. Everything is "fresh food".

Last weekend we had tossed rice with peppers, onions, carrots, beans, cilantro and orange segments, smothered with Romaine lettuce.

Darn!

o

All the members of our non immediate family including very young kids are overweight or obese since they consume substantially more than their caloric requirements for their height, size and sedentary lifestyles. None exercise.

All are poor by census standards as well. When something is with a relatively inelastic demand (cigarettes, soda, beer, candy, chips, snacks) increases in price, they simply cut back in other areas of spending.

For example, early in the food stamp cycle, they buy name brand soda - Coke, Pepsi and Mountain Dew. As they run low on food stamps and cash, they switch to Adirondack brand soda, then eventually to much cheaper store brands. Walmart, Save-A-Lot and Dollar Stores have dirt cheap generic soda.

Since their demand for soda is relatively inelastic, if soda were to increase in price substantially, they'd simply buy much cheaper brands of soda and/or cut back on nutritious foods so they could still buy soda.

They don't like to plan, cook, prepare, freeze and store meals, so they tend to buy unhealthy (plus expensive) processed foods due to convenience.

Most of these foods are low in protein, plus high in fat, sodium, additives and calories.

o

Why don't they begin where other healthy countries begin... by getting the food regulations right.

o

My granddaughter is on a swim team. The first time I went to a meet I was shocked. Half the kids were overweight.
How do you exercise the way these kids do , most swim at least an hour a day 5 days a week,and still stay overweight?
What are they eating?

o

Calories in general are very cheap, they're subsidized and/or there are numerous lower priced alternatives.

As many people are much more sedentary these days and have much less muscle, they need substantially fewer calories.

o

"I think the govt has to do something, but I'm not sure what, exactly."

Story of our lives.

THE GO TO Solution for everything.

Hay

o

I agree that healthy foods can be had cheaper than fast food/junk food and that there are ways to prepare it that are time savers (cooking ahead, stir frying, prepping ahead, etc). It does take some thought and some planning, though. My husband and I have lost 60 pounds between us since the beginning of this year by changing what we eat and exercising. We have found we spend less on food than before and feel much, much better.

As much money as we spend on nutrition education in this country, you'd think there wouldn't be an obese person to be seen. It's a matter of just deciding to "do it". I'm not holier than thou, though.... I miss junk food, I love fast food but the time has come. :)

o

When I was growing up, we had neighborhood schools. Nobody thought anything of expecting students, even in elementary grades, to walk to and from school, even if they walked alone. In fact, in my grade school parents were encouraged to have their kids walk home for lunch! Can you imagine doing that today??? I have no doubt that all that walking took care of any excess calories kids like me consumed back then.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, May 11, 12 at 11:32

I don't like that at all. Everyone KNOWS what's good and bad food, but many of us make terrible choices, for many reasons. I don't think that can be changed.

A tax on "bad" foods will fall heavily on the very people who can not afford to pay it. Good nutrition is becoming an option only for the rich.

Out where I live, there's plenty of fresh, local, good food, and the cr*p, of course, but since my adventures in heart disease in January, I make much better choices now.

Where I work, in the inner city, the opportunities to buy fresh, local, good food are few and far between. The corner markets, with their bullet-proof glass, have nothing; driving to a grocery store for better choices is the only option and there aren't many in the inner city so they are not particularly close. If you don't have a car, work all day at one or two or more jobs, have little money and no place to shop - your choices are very limited.

Buying fresh ingredients is expensive, it's much cheaper, and quicker to buy prepared foods, no waste. And, if you are worn out or kind of lazy, it's faster, too, and much tastier.

This is the reality for many hundreds of millions of people.

o

There was also not a lot of extra money then. There was one income in my family and four kids. I remember going to my friend's house just so that I could get some of their Little Debbies. That stuff was not to be had at my house!

Yes, we walked to elementary school - except for 4th grade. That was the year they rearranged the districts and we had to have someone drive us to school. They changed it back the next year and we walked for 5th and 6th again. For Jr and Sr High School, it was definitely buses though because it was too far away.

My mom lives in California (northern) and they don't have school buses at all in her town. When I visit, I can see all the kids walking to school while I have coffee at the kitchen table.

Kids definitely need more outside time. But parents are understandably more afraid of people that might harm their unattended children. As a parent, I have the same feelings. It doesn't seem to be the same world.

o

Taxing everything punishes the people who have little choice. That's not the answer.

The real culprits are the corporations that spend millions annually lobbying against regulations on food processes, inclusions, etc...

In some other countries, American companies must change their recipes to meet higher standards, or lose opening their businesses in those countries.

It's quite simple... begin with legislating for healthier food growing, preparation, processing, and the ingredients they can contain. We need higher standards for our basic food source. It's simple.

It would also be helpful if some parents learned to use the word "no".

We live in a very messed up and greedy nation where money is more important than the health of our general population. We are forced to work so many hours to maintain an average living mode that we can't even be available to raise our children they way we need to.

There are so many factors at play... but it all comes down, once again, to greed. Think about how many industries benefit monetarily through the unhealthy atmosphere created within this nation...

o

Off to pull weeds and work off my breakfast: whole grain French Toast, fruit, and one egg. Coffee, no cream, no sugar.

I start pretty much every day with a cup of Lung Ching Green Tea while I read the forums around here.

My breakfast routine is pretty predictable. Just like reading this forum.

Off to pull weeds so I can afford to buy some beer to work off at tonight's dance.

Remember folks: "Beer has food value, but food has no beer value."

Hay

o
Please, say it isn't so. ..

Oh, I hope not...

You don't suppose they're going to be coming after my beer next, do you?

Beer Bellies of the World, UNITE!!!!

(I swear I only drink in moderation. I swear.)

Hay

o

I never walked to school. Never. I always took the bus. Schools were just too far away to walk to.

But we played outside just about everyday after school and all day on weekends. I think that's the biggest difference. Kids don't go outside to play as much anymore. I know I never let my kids go outside if I couldn't go with them. It is a different world.

I agree that parents have to take a bigger role in this. I have an 11 year old son who plays baseball. I am amazed at what most of those kids eat and drink. And how many of them have McDonalds in the car on the way to the game. I know it's hard because we all work and have to get them to the field for the game, but I'd rather give him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich than McDonalds (or whatever the local fast food joint is).

o

I hope you had the fruit on top of that french toast - no sugar or syrup or butter. Otherwise - a bad food choice there, whole grain or not. If your french toast was dipped in an egg mixture, that's a lotta eggs there for a single meal, too.

o

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but something needs to be done.

That's where I do not necessarily agree.

Done by whom?

How about people have the freedom to eat what they want, and to suffer the consequences of their decisions?

No taxpayer involvement in telling them what to eat, and no taxpayer involvement in paying for their bypasses or diabetes meds.

It would only take a generation or two to learn this lesson before people would change their behavior.

It's called personal responsibility, and nothing needs to be done other than educating people and letting them make their choices, and letting them pay the piper.

Who wants to live in a country where you are told what you can and can't eat, or you are punished for your food choices?

o

Ohiomom, good for your for quitting regardless of the reason!! :-)

So at the store this morning, a man A asked man B in front of him about some product he was buying. Then man A says he finally quit smoking. I couldn't resist asking him if cost had anything to do with it. He said it did not. Then lady behind me piped in about how badly she wants to quit, but not because of cost. Of course, the conversation turned to junk food and we all agreed that taxing higher won't make a bit of difference.

o

demi - I said that something needs to be done because I care about the youth of this country. What is happening now is not working. The health of our young is at jeopardy.

I didn't say government has the answer. I'm not sure what the answer is.

I didn't say and don't think people should be told what to eat and not eat by anyone other than children by their parents, or patients by their doctors.

I do think as Jodi said, our food policies should change. The government's farm bill has contibuted to the problem of making corn and its by products so cheap.

I don't think waiting a couple of generations until people learn their lesson is the answer either. That means a lot of people die before others learn why they died.

More education is needed. More programs of some kind to teach kids how and why to eat healthy. How these programs come about, I don't know. I do know that some of this is already starting to happen. Mrs. Obama is trying to do exactly this, yet she gets criticized for doing it.

Like I said, I don't know the answer, but I do think our country should care enough about its citizens to want to do something about it.

o

Jill, I'm so often stunned by what I see parents feed their children, by the attitudes and lack of knowledge and common sense within this nation... this is not the nation I grew up in, and I sense you have trouble recognizing it as such, too. Any normal mentality has taken a permanent vacation, it seems... and so many people don't ever step back and take a hard look at the bigger picture of why things are the way they are now. It all leads to greed, people lowering their standards or looking the other way, or acting in a manner one can't call ethical.

It's just so much greed on top of greed... and those who refuse to see that either lack the common sense, or have a dog in that race. I'd say it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other... but there sure seems to be a lot of dogs in the race... and that's all I'm saying.

I have to go sing for my supper now...

o
RE MORE: Uncle Sam wants to work on your waistline!

I agree to a point, Jodi.

I certainly agree that if a company can make more money by producing sub-standard product (food or anything else) they will do so even if it hurts the consumer.

But, if people don't buy the product, they won't do it.

Now, on some things, it's impossible for the consumer to know there's something bad in it (lead in a child's toy, for example). Therefore, there has to be regulations to control it.

When it comes to food, you can know what's in it for the most part. The ingredients are on the label.

And if the product is bright neon blue, there's a very good chance that it contains artificial colors.

You wouldn't believe the looks and the teasing I get from grownups because I won't let my kid eat that crap. I calmly and politely (I know, hard for some here to believe :-)) that I don't think it's a good idea to put chemicals in your body where the sole purpose of the chemical is to make the food pretty. Who knows what that is doing to your body, but it can't be good. And for what purpose? Just to make it a pretty color of blue? So strange to me.

And I live in community that is certainly upper middle class. Lots of very well educated people around these parts! Yet they think I'm a little crazy about this.

Even people I work with make fun of me (in a joking around kind of way). But I found out recently that one guy that has poked fun at me has started not allowing his young children to eat things with artificial colors. So I'm making some progress!

And, just for the record, I'm not fanatical about it. I won't bring anything into the house that has artificial ingredients. Everything is all natural, and organic when we can. I'm sure we eat things that have artificial ingredients when we're out (and since my kid plays baseball we are out most weekends all day and don't always have access to the best food), but we try and make smart choices.

After a game recently, my son was starving (well, he's always starving), so as we were leaving we stopped at the snack shack. He chose the yogurt parfait (yogurt, granola and fresh fruit). The worker was very surprised that's what he picked. Totally bypassed the huge basket of brightly colored candy and chips right in front of him. Surprised but happy! She told him "good for you". Hopefully, these habits continue when he is on his own and I'm not watching.

o

The one thing you almost never see is a fat old person......food for thought.

o

Sitting here eating a great salad which I'll follow up with a big serving of Bay Scallops before I jump in the shower and head out. I like to eat early so I won't be dancing on a full stomach.

I'm not fanatic about what I eat. I do eat, relatively speaking, a really healthful diet. Everything in moderation... including moderation. If they say red meat is bad, I cut way back on red meat. If nitrates in bacon is bad, I basically never eat bacon until the fresh tomatoes come in. I don't eat processed meat of any sort, except the few times I drive into New York and stop at the Red Rooster for a chili dog with lots of onions.

People are always saying that I'm skinny. Skinny? According to the charts I'm the ideal weight for my height. (I'm also the ideal height for my weight.)

"I hope you had the fruit on top of that french toast - no sugar or syrup or butter. Otherwise - a bad food choice there, whole grain or not. If your french toast was dipped in an egg mixture, that's a lotta eggs there for a single meal, too."

I basically never ever add sugar to anything. I have a bag of sugar that's rock hard at this point. I think the ONLY time I use sugar at home is when I make a glass of lemonade on a hot day.

Bad choice? Really? I add just enough maple syrup to give me the flavor. Cinnamon because it's supposed to be good for you and I like it. A TINY bit of butter mixed with the very little Canola oil, (a "good oil") in the frying pan. Soy milk and egg for the batter.

Eggs? What's so bad about eggs? If you're thinking cholesterol, I think that more than 30 years ago they found that there is actually very little connection between DIETARY cholesterol and BLOOD cholesterol. Eating-wise, the things you can do to deal with cholesterol in your blood, as I was last made aware of, is to avoid saturated fats...(no bacon) and eat high fiber (organic whole grain bread with no additives. )...

I've had a Calcium Score done on my heart arteries which apparently is the current best way to judge your heart attack risk. I'm in the top 25 percentile for my age. I have the heart of a much younger man. The body of a god. The mind of a computer.....

Every thing in moderation.

Beer keeps my "good cholesterol", HDL, up. I know that for a fact. I used to be a teetotaler, not because I was against drinking per se, but I just wasn't interested. (This is long after my college days.) I started drinking and my HDL went way up.

I try to keep nuts and granola in my car. Otherwise, when I'm driving home late at night, suffering from the dreaded MUNCHIES, I'm tempted by my worst weakness: Cheese Doodles.

You should all follow my example.

Not just in your food choices.

As always, my most humble opinion.

Oh, and chocolate. Moderation. 60% bittersweet Cacao from Ghirardelli.

Hay

o

I'll be watching my grandson play baseball tomorrow. First game at 9, second at 12:30 and both are 30 miles from home. I'm sure that I will buy both of us a hot dog or cheeseburger before the day is out. I think once in a while is OK, not a great plan, but OK.
One of my great concerns is that GMO's are not labeled distinctly. I know that with some crops labeling the non-GMO would be cheaper because they are a tiny minority. When people know there is a difference, they have a choice.
About a month ago, I shopped at my local feed&seed for corn and okra seed. Okra is okra, but he had approximately 16 different buckets of corn seed and all of them were hybrids.
I do know the difference between hybrids and GMO's, but I'm glad there are a few seed warehouses that are preserving the oldest, true, open pollinated seeds they have access to.

o

You convinced me Hay - that was, indeed, a perfectly acceptable breakfast choice.

The part about the body of a god and the mind of a computer? - Well, I'm afraid I remain unconvinced.....but I concede, you did convince me that your dietary choices seem to work very well for you.

I understand about the "too skinny" part. I hear that fairly frequently from a few women who, I honestly believe, have forgotten what a healthy fat ratio/body weight to height actually is. My weight is considered healthy by my doctor, by my clothes closet and by me.

o

Most of my friends do not understand the relationship between high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides. Their doctor hasn't explained it to them! Some of them feel defeated and keep taking the drugs along with eating bad foods.

If you keep those three at acceptable levels, you'll live to be healthy and old (for the most part).

I know a few vegans who are chubby. :)

o

Among my, admittedly well educated, circle of friends (mostly academics like myself) smoking is completely uncool. I've not been to a gathering where anyone smoked for years and years. This is a revolution from the time I was in graduate school and classrooms were one blue haze of the professor's cigarette or pipe. If we've made this revolution over a relatively short amount of time I think there's hope for the food industry and food consumption. In my area people are now very, very aware of the issue, and I'm encouraged that many of my students are on board. For me two steps where I'd welcome government interference are 1)limiting food stamps to purchasing only healthy foods; 2) subsidizing fresh food markets/farmers markets in the inner city. I live in the inner city and can walk to at least 4 fast food places as well as numerous other services (drug stores, dry cleaners, etc) but no adequate grocery store. This drives me crazy.

o

Most of my friends do not understand the relationship between high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides. Their doctor hasn't explained it to them!

I hope you were kidding, brush. With the internet today, this stuff is easily looked up and research should provoke questions back to the doctor at the next visit. People do need to take some responsibility for seeking out information.

Good points, marita. We have come a long way with smoking and we can do it with food too.

o

Marita, I suspect I'm older than you but I too cannot recall the last time I was at any sort of social gathering where anyone smoked. Certainly no one would even think to smoke in anyone's home! Smokers are relegated to the outdoors, which, given Canadian winters, should be enough to make anyone quit!!!

I saw a special on the availability of inner city grocery stores a while back and it really is a very serious situation.

Many of the big chains have moved out to the burbs where there are people with money and lots of space for parking. The Mom and Pops can't make it work financially so all that is left is the 711 type store and fast food joints.

To complicate matters very few inner city people have cars so they are forced to travel long distances on public transportation and then have to haul the groceries back the same way. Of course we know what happens.....they eat poorly and expensively with what's available. That is one reason I fully support food programmes in inner city schools.

Mind you the opposite is true in trendier inner city neighbours. Tons of boutiques style, high end grocery stores with prices that would knock your socks off and people happy to pay the price!

o

Sat, May 12, 12 at 8:43

Chase they call them "food deserts" ... I don't know about where y'all live but here you can use your food stamps at farmers markets and those, along with urban farms, are exploding in Cleveland.

1/2 penny

o
))))Uncle Sam wants to work on your waistline!

We don't have such a thing as food stamps in Canada, at least not in Ontario.

The special I saw was American and centered around cities like Detroit. To be really honest we don't have the same problem in our large cities, by that I mean the abandonment of the core of the city.

o

It's unfortunate, but true, that it's not cheap to eat well. Even if it's just the cost in getting to a place where you can find good food to buy or the cost in time to prepare it. And that does indeed make it difficult for poorer people.

At the same time, if people actually were more interested in eating a healthful diet there'd be better choices around them, no matter where they lived. Poor people many times are not the smartest people and that shows up in their food choices, too.

It goes both ways.

I mentioned somewhere that I used to eat a lot at a restaurant run by a Seventh Day Adventist group. It was part of their religious beliefs to encourage their diet. God bless them for that. It's been shown that their diets do result in longer, healthier lives. At the restaurant I patronized, they also had little seminars on reducing stress in your life. Really nice, low-key group of people. And the food was really, really delicious. I'd eat there just for that reason even aside from knowing that it's good for me.

Check it out

From their Position statement on their web page:

Do glance at that page.

"The vegetarian diet recommended by Seventh-day Adventists includes the generous use of whole grain breads, cereals and pastas, a liberal use of fresh vegetables and fruits, a moderate use of legumes, nuts, seeds. It can also include low fat dairy products such as milk, yogurt and cheeses and eggs. It is best to avoid high saturated fat and cholesterol foods such as: beef, lamb, pork, chicken, fish and seafood. Coffee, tea and alcoholic beverages provide few nutrients and may interfere with the absorption of essential nutrients."

While I'm sitting here enjoying my cup of green tea. I'm not religious about my diet.

Today I'll pass eating breakfast. I've seen studies that have shown that, in lab animals, a very, very low calorie diet, almost a starvation diet, can significantly increase their life span. As far as I know there's no test of that in humans, but still, I suspect there's some truth to it. One simple observation I've made about sickly obese people: They eat a lot!!

Today I'll pass on breakfast also because I want my body to not be dependent on the food coming in during the past few hours. I don't know off hand where I got that idea. It just feels right to me at this point. I will eat just two widely separated meals on many days.

Hay

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 12 at 9:56

Being a resident of the #2 fat city in the US I'm happy to say that VgQn and myself are of normal weight for our heights. I'm 178# at 6'1". We stay active and of the total food we eat (at home) 2/3s is from what we grow. Homegrown just tastes better and can also be fully ripened for peak nutrients before harvesting, no sprays other than organic if needed. We had folks over for dinner last week and they loved the flavor of our fresh picked broccoli. We all agreed that store bought broc has a bitter aftertaste, assuming it's the pesticide residues? Still eat red meat, eggs, poultry, fish, and pork but we're heavier on the veggies and fruits of our labor.

o

I don't know about where y'all live but here you can use your food stamps at farmers markets and those, along with urban farms, are exploding in Cleveland.

Chase is right OM, we don't have food stamps here.

Welfare recipients are given a cheque or direct deposit and pay their rent, utilities, food etc just like anyone else does.

I thought I'd respond to this because after seeing Chase answer, I started thinking about the difference between your country and ours in dealing with social safety net payments.

While I recognise that there is always going to be someone who will abuse the system (let's put that one aside for the moment), the vast, vast majority of welfare recipients here pay their rent, buy groceries and pay bills even though the cash is put directly into their hands.

For welfare recipients in the USA, it may be paid directly to landlords for rent, directly to food suppliers in the form of food stamps, not sure about utilities though (are there some states where money bypasses the individual and goes directly to the utility company?)

Anyway, the thought crossed my mind that maybe people complain that welfare recipients in the USA are irresponsible with money because they have never been allowed to learn how to properly budget their money? If you bypass putting the cash directly into their hands so they can learn to budget their own bills, isn't that contributing to keeping them in the dark on basic life skills?

Just a thought flitting through my mind.

o

For welfare recipients in the USA, it may be paid directly to landlords for rent, directly to food suppliers in the form of food stamps, not sure about utilities though (are there some states where money bypasses the individual and goes directly to the utility company?

Once our customers receive approval for HEAP, Emergency HEAP(heating oil, kerosene, propane),or Boiler/Furnace maintenance, repair or replacement, we're paid directly.

It works the same way for electric and natural gas. The utility provider is paid directly.

o

Anyway, the thought crossed my mind that maybe people complain that welfare recipients in the USA are irresponsible with money because they have never been allowed to learn how to properly budget their money? If you bypass putting the cash directly into their hands so they can learn to budget their own bills, isn't that contributing to keeping them in the dark on basic life skills?

Most local working age able-bodied recipients of welfare - food stamps, WIC, DSS housing assistance, subsidized housing, Section 8 housing vouchers, HEAP, Emergency HEAP, Medicaid, daycare etc are already working, they've worked in the past and/or work under-the-table jobs, so they have, or have had money to manage.

Just budgeting non cash benefits like food stamps gives them financial management skills as well.

You'll see very few local welfare recipients in our poorest regions that don't smoke cigarettes, drink beer and buy scratch-offs, so they're getting, or making money somewhere.

TANF cash assistance cases have dropped substantially due to the job search, job training and job participation workfare requirements. TANF is temporary as well.

To avoid these requirements, many recipients will take a part time job and opt for numerous non cash benefits.

Before Workfare, I used to rent some apartments to DSS (not Section 8) tenants as DSS paid landlords directly, plus covered security deposits. For whatever reason, Post-Workfare -- some agencies stopped paying security deposits, started making checks payable to tenants and stopped informing landlords when public assistance rent benefits were being terminated.

During this period we saw the greatest number of local evictions in history due to non payment of rent. This is also when slumlords took over in many regions as they were the only ones willing to accept DSS tenants and low income tenants with no jobs, part-time jobs, low paying jobs, poor credit, no security deposits, no last month's rent, no references etc.

We also have a very limited number of Section 8 public housing units in many regions (waiting lists are often years long, or closed), plus there's a limited number of portable Section 8 housing vouchers. Many landlords won't rent to DSS, or Section 8 tenants either.

Most locals (at least those that work and/or pay income/property taxes) are opposed to new subsidized or low income housing due to the financial drain on the system, housing values, crime, blight etc.

Here in New York, Medicaid costs alone consume the majority of the property tax levy in many regions.

o

"food stamps, WIC, DSS housing assistance, subsidized housing, Section 8 housing vouchers, HEAP, Emergency HEAP, Medicaid, daycare etc"

Seems pretty complicated. We just have one agency that makes a determination about benefits and then cuts a cheque. What they do from there on is their problem. Seeking work is mandatory. Maybe not for women with children, I just don't know.

There are some programmes for subsidized daycare, dental care, prescription care and school food programmes, etc. for the WORKING poor but that's a different issue all together. Of course we have universal healthcare so that's a biggie.

I actually think we are much tougher on welfare here in Canada than you are in the States but that's just my sense, I really don't know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is an example of what you get on welfare here

o

Just curious though - what additional assistance is available in Canada for those who cannot grasp the concept of budgeting or simply choose not to?

o

No one has smoked in my house since the 60's when husband gave it up. I never smoked, kids never did and grandkids don't. I also do not remember having a fat classmate back in the day. My son's school which ranks 5th in the state is in an affluent town and there are few fat kids. But when I go to the city about every other one is. Call me a snob but when I see obese people at the grocery store, I always peer into their carts and sure enough there are liters of soda and bags of chips piled high. I rarely buy from the middle of the store..Spend most of my time in the produce section. I am a very boring person but then I always have been. My mother made me an egg salad sandwich for lunch every day for years when I was a kid because that's all I wanted. Today I have an egg, avocado , mozzarella cheese, crasin , walnut, chicken panini every day for lunch along with five fruits.

Re: school. Even as a little six year old, I walked a mile to school, a mile back for lunch, a mile back after, and a mile home after school. That besides playing was four miles a day for a little skinny kid. I walked or ran every day of my life and still do decades and decades later at over 5 miles a day.

o
)))Uncle Sam wants to work on your waistline!

Nada.....unless you mean classes and that type of thing but no financial assistance.

I'm talking about Ontario but I suspect the ROC is pretty much the same.

o

About smoking, it seems to me that more people are smoking lately? I work in NYC and when I walk the streets in midtown, the amount of people smoking just baffles me. Every doorway to office buildings has people standing around smoking. And they are often young people. And, lots of people smoking while walking too. I think some of them are tourists (both European and Americans), but some are clearly New Yorkers.

When I get back to my office from getting my lunch, I feel like I smoked a whole pack. It's gross!

I know the numbers of smokers were dropping for years, but I feel like they are starting to rise again. Anyone else notice this?

o
(((Uncle Sam wants to work on your waistline!

jil, could it be that anti smoking laws are just driving them outdoors?

I see lots of people smoking on the streets but that's because, other than their home, that's the only place they are allowed to smoke.

o

I think you are right, Chase.

Try going into a hospital and run the gauntlet of hospital personnel and visitors smoking just outside the door--sickening!

o

Yes, but no smoking in buildings in NY has been the law for a long time. And I've always worked in NYC. It seems to be worse.

I used to be in the if you want to kill yourself go right ahead, just don't do it inside where I have to breathe it. But, now I don't even want them doing it ouside on the street because I'm still breathing it. I must be getting old and less tolerant!

o

Sat, May 12, 12 at 15:16

You are not allowed to smoke on hospital property here in Cleveland and the "clinic" goes one step further and employees are not allowed to smoke even in their own homes. You smoke ... you are fired ! And yes they "test".

As far as welfare .. I do not know the ins and outs, I collected it for a short period over 40 years ago when I was on the run from an abusive man (ex husband) .. then you got a check and you paid everything out of it much like Chase describes, not sure how they do it now.

o

Although I don't know; there but for the grace...

This sparked some really cursory online investigation - think our system is basically the same now as it always was. No getting more $$ applied to the EBT card if one runs out before the end of the month; no loans against welfare payments if a losing day at the casino was more important than basic needs. Or it goes without saying, the unanticipated car repair...

I don't know where I got the notion that there were safety nets beyond the safety nets.

o

An interesting thought... the very different ways public assistance is handled in Canada versus the US... this could be a part of our problem. Also the idea that "food deserts" exist here in many places, as opposed to not much change in various areas where Canada is concerned. Could it be, we might take a lesson from the way Canada and other nations handle their public assistance programs?

Also, I don't understand the negativity involved in what the First Lady sees as a growing problem within our nation... no pun intended... and her want to do something about it. It's a noble undertaking, from my perspective. It shows that she really wants to help, to get the people involved in their health, and the health of their children.

o

Seems pretty complicated. We just have one agency that makes a determination about benefits and then cuts a cheque.

It is pretty complicated for some, hence why local agencies help applicants apply for benefits.

Applicants can also see if they qualify for, apply for or recertify for some benefits online.

Here is a link that might be useful: New York Programs and Services

o

"don't understand the negativity involved in what the First Lady sees as a growing problem within our nation..."

The negativity I've seen expressed here isn't towards what the First Lady sees as an important issue, obesity...it's directed at her herself, her "body type" and her "right" to talk of these issues.

This comment from Demi.

"Wanna post a photo of Michelle Obama's backside after posting her list to us of what we should be doing to not be obese and say the same thing to her? "

and this one from Nik

"Demi's observation is perfectly appropriate. One look calls into question what kind of "credentials" qualify our first lady to lecture anyone on matters of exercise or nutrition. "

Guess Nancy Regan must have been a drug addict to have any credibility in her "Just say No " initiative....

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, May 12, 12 at 17:07

Geez Louise! Had to search for that one.

Demi, you've got serious issues.

Get this--if I really wanted to insult Mrs. Obama I could do a good job.

o

The trouble with nutrition and exercise programs among overweight, obese and out-of-shape people is that most people don't have the motivation and discipline to stick to the programs even short term, let alone for months, years or a lifetime.

Most people generally start cheating, excuse making and arguing for limitations in the first days of their programs.

I've known numerous people that quit smoking, quit drinking, quit gambling etc, but they couldn't stop over-eating, nor stick to an exercise program.

Many people grossly under-estimate how many calories they need to cut, plus how much exercise and physical activity they need to lose fat while maintaining muscle, especially short sedentary females.

From my experience, most people tend to over-estimate their base activity level, plus over-estimate their level of exercise intensity.

There's also a growing number of what some call skinny fat people these days. Many look good in clothes, but they're weak, flabby and lack muscle and endurance. Many of these people can't do even a few pull-ups, a dozen push-ups, run a mile etc.

Yet another issue is that most people don't know where they stand physically and nutritionally since they don't have bloodwork, physicals, bodyfat testing, fitness tests etc.

When I ask people how many calories, or grams of protein, carbs and fats they consume on average, most have no idea.

o
RE: Uncle Sam wants jeans with a natural waist!

Bet you're a fun guy at cocktail parties.

Do you find it just so terribly draining to be surrounded by "lesser" folks - I mean those with hidden flab or those who'd probably only muster the ability to run a mile just to put some daylight between you and them.

Sometimes I find your posts oddly disturbing; other times you might be spot on - at least as to how things are in upstate NY though perhaps not the country at large.

o

Sorry guys. I dropped a comment and question and then had to run out. Nice to see some of the replies though.

Markjames: OK, I wasn't sure if utilities programs were paid directly to the utility companies, I guess in many cases they are? Thanks for the info.

Duluth: Just curious though - what additional assistance is available in Canada for those who cannot grasp the concept of budgeting or simply choose not to?

As Chase said, there are life skills programs available for people who need that help learning, usually young mothers and such. But other than that it is usually a "You're on your own if you screw it up." situation. If you spent all the food money, you go to agencies like food banks. If you lose your place because you didn't pay the rent, they won't help you get together another first/last month's rent. You better have a friend or relative you can stay with.

Usually after playing loosey goosey with the money and going hungry, the majority of people learn skills. It's really no different than most young adults when they move out and get a crash course in "budget or starve".

There are always those who abuse the system or are drug addicts/alcoholics. You can't stop that. If the addiction is bad enough that they are losing their apartments or starving, the children can be temporarily removed from the home (We are foster parents who have fostered several children in these circumstances.) They are given a variety of programs for free to help them with addictions, mental illnesses, alcoholism and they know that they have to have a safe and stable home for their children to go back to. I am happy to say that with the exception of one, the rest of the kids we fostered had their moms or dads fix their lives and problems up with enough success that the children were allowed to return home.

Jodi: the very different ways public assistance is handled in Canada versus the US... this could be a part of our problem.

Well, it did cross my mind. Here, they are given a direct deposit sum of money on the first of the month. They take that money, pay the rent, bills, and stock up on whatever food will store well. On the 20th of the month, they get an additional amount of a couple hundred dollars for their child benefit (also available to working, low income families), that helps to replenish the food stores. Keep in mind that welfare recipients without kids do NOT get that benefit, so those single people have to budget even better to last the month.

In the USA, if the rent goes directly to the landlord and utilities get paid and food stamps, while some budgeting is necessary, it's really just getting directly budgeted to food and gets paid directly to the store. Where does the life lessons come in? Where is the sense of normalcy that these people can get? It's almost like keeping them on a dependancy island..."here, don't think about anything you do, we'll make your decisions for you".

And on top of that, they MUST feel isolated paying for groceries in a different manner than everyone else. While I'm sure the old food stamps when they were actually stamps was more obvious, the food stamps debit card sounds like it's obvious to some people too. That must be a humiliating experience for people. And they live in housing that is also taken out of their control. They must feel like they are being segregated from society. Can you imagine what sort of boost it would be to suddenly be given that trust again? "Here, you can learn to make you own decisions, your own budget, your own life choices. Here's your money, you can pay your bills for yourself."

It's like... being treated like all the other human beings maybe?

o

Bet you're a fun guy at cocktail parties.

I've certainly injected some fun, excitement and energy into some otherwise boring events and gatherings.

o

And on top of that, they MUST feel isolated paying for groceries in a different manner than everyone else. While I'm sure the old food stamps when they were actually stamps was more obvious, the food stamps debit card sounds like it's obvious to some people too. That must be a humiliating experience for people.

The stigma of food stamps has faded as benefits are loaded on EBT cards, plus with more than 46 Million (1 in 7) Americans on food stamps it's become somewhat of a new normal. The way applicants can apply for and recertify for food stamps online reduces shame as well since they don't have to wait in line at DSS.

Many people also have others do their shopping for them with their EBT cards.

More and more people openly discuss the fact that they receive numerous public assistance benefits.

With more and more generational poverty, many current recipients of numerous welfare benefits know no other way of life. Poverty is also very concentrated in some regions, so literally 25% or more of the population in some areas may be on numerous welfare benefits. Because of this, there's less shame due to sheer numbers.

Back in the paper food stamp days, one of our aunts on food stamps used to drive to far off cities and towns where she'd be less likely to run into someone she knew due to the shame of receiving food stamps. If she saw someone she knew in the stores, she wouldn't cash out until they left the store. More than once, she actually got out of line since someone she knew was in line behind her.

There's generally less shame when large numbers of people are in the same boat so to speak. The same concept applies to obesity. With so many overweight and obese Americans, there's less shame in being fat as well.
When we were in high school it was very unusual for students to be obese, so obese students were embarrassed. Most dressed to hide their weight. These days, not only is obesity common, but many even show it off with tight clothing, short shirts, low rise jeans, shorts etc.

The same concept applies to fitness as well. It's no longer as much of a stigma to be weak and out of shape.

o

Quite so, there is an epidemic of people who don't "look" fat or especially unhealthy and yet they are. That is the result of the trash food supply, just as the obesity is. Those whose particular genetics prevents them from being fat does not protect them from an impoverished food supply, nothing can do that.

o

"Guess Nancy Regan must have been a drug addict to have any credibility in her "Just say No " initiative...."

Nancy Reagan was condemning illegal drug use, a criminal issue.

Michelle Obama is condemning dietary choices, a freedom issue.

o

Many skinny fat people are taller people with good weight distribution genetics. They can carry a lot of excess fat without it showing.

Many shorter people with poor weight distribution genetics appear very "thick". Many have wide waists and narrow shoulders, plus carry weight in their thighs, calves, ankles, sides, abdomens, buttocks, arms, necks, chins, faces etc.

One very common trait in many skinny fat males is man boobs.

o

It shouldn't be complicated, at all. Food is food... and non-food items or ingredients are not food.

I think we have the technology to get food to market pretty fast, so we don't need so many preservatives and fillers. We certainly don't need all the artificial foods offered, or labeling that we can barely decipher due to the amount of chemicals contained therein.

But I think it goes beyond just our food source... we also wear synthetic clothing made from what amounts to petroleum waste products, or polymers... do we know at what rate it leaches into our skin, especially when we sweat and our skin pores are open? No, we don't.

There is so much poison in our air, in our soil, in our food supply, in almost everything these days... and I think it's a major collective contributor to the lack of general health this nation, and the world, is experiencing.

The whole thing makes me sick to think about too deeply. Half the planet is obese and ill... and the other half is dying from lack of foods and clean water... wow.

o

"One look calls into question what kind of "credentials" qualify our first lady to lecture anyone on matters of exercise or nutrition"

Nik, your comments call in to question the First Lady's "credentials" to take on obesity as an issue not the validity of the issue itself.

If you are saying that the First Lady should not take on obesity because it is a freedoms issue that's totally different from your original remarks.

Given that the United States has the the worst record for obesity in the world, many would disagree that it's not a worthy and honorable cause for the First Lady to take on, especially as it relates to children.

o

I agree, Chase. It just goes to show you to what lenghts people will go to cricize the Obamas. I mean a First Lady promoting healthy eating? How dare she?

I'm guessing they didn't have any problems with Mrs. Bush promoting reading for kids.

Both good ideas. But Mrs. Obama gets criticized. Go figure.

o

Another way the government could help the obesity issue with kids is mandage a certain amount of time for physical activity (a.k.a. recess) in the schools. My 2nd grade son gets one 15 minute recess a day.

On an up note, due to budget cuts, when they took a field trip, the cost of buses were too expensive so they walked a mile and a half to the nature park that they then also walked around and walked back to the school.

o

"Nik, your comments call in to question the First Lady's "credentials" to take on obesity as an issue not the validity of the issue itself."

What credentials?

o

What credentials did Mrs Regan have with regards to the war on drugs? That was my point.

What "credentials", other than a commitment to nutritious eating and physical fitness does one need to take up obesity as a cause?

Is it your position that the First Lady should not be promoting healthy eating and physical fitness especially for children?

o

Of all the criticism of the Obama's , this is the dumbest. Obesity will top 40% of the entire population in a few years. How will that impact health care? I think Michelle's MOVE campaigh is admirable. She is a very fit woman and exercises every day. On the Biggest Loser show they went to to the White House and she changed into exercise clothing and cleaned their clocks. She walks the walk. And I commend her WH garden.Backyard gardening is way up since she started.

o

I don't personally believe that the government should be interfering or regulating Americans' belt lines. That is a personal choice and relates to a personal responsibility to maintain a healthy weight. If someone wants to eat Red Lobster every night and end up 400 lbs, so what. It's their choice to die early.

o

Kry, do you consider education to be interfering and regulating?

The First Lady has no power to either interfere or regulate, she is simply trying to encourage dialogue and promote education about nutrition and physical fitness.

o

I think what she is doing is fine. I just don't believe regulation & actual rules/laws concerning adults and their weight/diet is appropriate.

o

I don't see most people becoming more motivated, more disciplined, exercising more, becoming less sedentary and consuming fewer calories anytime soon.

Things will only get worse, plus obesity is already grossly under-estimated due to the 200 year old BMI formula.

Looking at various studies and data, success rates of obese people that managed to return to a normal weight, plus remain at a normal weight for several years are near zero.

Many people on diets actually gain substantially more weight shortly after a major weight loss.

On a positive note for workers and investors, because of these factors, there are all sorts of financial and/or job opportunities in numerous industries that service overweight, obese, out-of-shape and unhealthy people.

With so many obese Americans, there's also lot less competition for many jobs as the obese people aren't physically capable of many jobs, or they're not considered for jobs due to appearance, risk etc.

o

The government will never be able to regulate lack of motivation and self-control, nor will they be able to force people to exercise more, live less sedentary lives and consume fewer calories.

Some major problems are simply incredibly cheap calories, plus incredible quantities and selection.

When they make something expensive via taxes, they only end up hurting the poor, or hurting producers, resellers, workers etc.

In addition, people will simply trade down, or opt for another product, often less healthy than the taxed product.

Many addictive and desirable products have such an inelastic demand that even doubling the price wouldn't curb demand substantially, plus there will always be lower priced, unhealthy alternatives.

o

Last week at the grocery store, they had a 'buy two, get three free' deal on cases of soda. From the looks of the folks taking advantage of the sale, lifting the cases in and out of the cart was the most exercise they'd had in a while.....

If you buy health insurance on the individual market, your premium will be significantly higher if you're pushing obese, and they will flat out refuse you coverage if you re morbidly obese - the 350 lb'ers. Its the same thing with smokers, and has been for some time.

I see the trend going the same way as smokers - companies are going to hire folks who aren't overweight because, similar to non-smokers, statistically they're more productive, don't get sick as often, yada yada.

o

One of my nieces had her choice of a few well paying warehousing/distribution/material handling jobs recently since much of the pool of qualified applicants either didn't pass the pre-employment physical fitness/stress test assessments, they didn't pass the probationary assessment period and/or they quit since they couldn't physically handle the work.

One of the fastest growing industries with the highest projected future growth is in unskilled/low skilled heathcare and homecare -PCAs/HHAs/CNAs.

It's important for these workers to be physically strong as many will have to assist obese patients, often without help when working in homes, or under-staffed facilities.

Many of these PCA/HHA/CNA jobs have pre-employment physical assessments, plus more and more employers in general are using pre-employment physical assessments to minimize risk.

o

Chase, In the US we don't have to be lawyers, physicians, nor drug counselors to encourage children to obey our laws and avoid illegal drug use.

We do, however, expect people who instruct the rest of us on matters of nutrition to possess some level of specialized knowledge about such a complex subject.

Whether you discern the difference or not, Michelle Obama scolding American adults about the very personal and perfectly legal activity of feeding themselves and their families is far different from Nancy Reagan encouraging American children to "Just Say No" to illegal drug activity.

Such irony. This scolding goes on at the same time the number of Americans getting SNAP benefits to subsidize junk food purchases is exploding.

If Mrs. Obama really wants Americans to eat healthy, she and her DH can begin by calling on our electeds to limit SNAP purchases to foods with nutritional value. If SNAP recipients want empty calories, they can budget for them and pay with their own money.

It is not the duty of American taxpayers to put junk food into the grocery carts of people who are "food insecure." It is irresponsible of government to allow this nonsense to continue when it tells us we have an "obesity epidemic."

o

I had an interesting conversation with a guy that used to have a Youtube fitness channel. He was quite well educated in nutrition and exercise, but he never had many viewers and subscribers since he wasn't big and muscular.

I told him people are much more likely to listen to the nutrition and fitness message of a muscular idiot than a well educated guy with an average, or below average build.

If a fitness spokesperson is even slightly overweight, many people just won't listen to them.

Many people also won't listen to the fitness messages of elitist millionaires either.

o

"Chase, In the US we don't have to be lawyers, physicians, nor drug counselors to encourage children to obey our laws and avoid illegal drug use.

We do, however, expect people who instruct the rest of us on matters of nutrition to possess some level of specialized knowledge about such a complex subject. "

Really? I wonder how many other Americans feel as you do. I'm willing to bet most are supportive of Mrs Obama's commitment to nutrition and physical fitness and approve of her role in this area.

...but we will never know will we ?

o

I'd bet that the ones that feel as nik does are in that club of anything the Obamas do is wrong.

It's just so ridiculous to criticize a First Lady for caring about the nutrition in her country.

It just shows you how far that club will go.

o
)))) Uncle Sam wants to work on your waistline!

I did a little "surfing" and it seems that the First Lady's initiatives with childhood obesity are much lauded in the States, even among Republican leaders. Nothing I read gave me the impression she was seen as "instructing" people on nutrition.

As a matter of fact I couldn't find anything that would suggest the First Lady had assumed the role of a professional nutritionist....only an advocate promoting healthy eating for children.

Obesity is a huge problem and the First Lady should be commended in her efforts to bring awareness to the issue.

o

As a matter of fact I couldn't find anything that would suggest the First Lady had assumed the role of a professional nutritionist....only an advocate promoting healthy eating for children.

That's all I thought she did.

And just as you "don't have to be lawyers, physicians, nor drug counselors to encourage children to obey our laws and avoid illegal drug use"... you also don't have to be a doctor or a nutritionist to encourage children to eat healthy and avoid junk food.

o

There's a word missing in the title of this thread:

Uncle Sam wants you to work on your waistline!

Bad news for the food & health sickness industry though. We can't have that now can we.

o

"As a matter of fact I couldn't find anything that would suggest the First Lady had assumed the role of a professional nutritionist...."

I should hope not.

"...you also don't have to be a doctor or a nutritionist to encourage children to eat healthy and avoid junk food."

Indeed. Nannies often encourage the children in their care to eat healthy. But grown up Americans aren't children. And most grown up Americans don't want the First Lady or anyone else to be their nanny.

"It's just so ridiculous to criticize a First Lady for caring about the nutrition in her country."

I'm all for her caring about meeting the nutritional needs of struggling Americans. Has she called for an end to SNAP junk food subsidies that do no such thing?

That's how serious advocacy works. You help people meet their legitimate needs. Junk food is not a need. It's not the responsibility of taxpayers to put junk food in anybody's grocery cart. It's in the best interest of the tax payer and the SNAP recipient to stop treating junk food like it's a legitimate source of nutrition.

o

" most grown up Americans don't want the First Lady or anyone else to be their nanny."

I would be very interested in seeing any source you have that indicates that the American people are unhappy with the First Lady's initiatives against obesity, especially amongst children. Or any information that you have that the American people feel her efforts to fight obesity are tantamount to treating them like she is their "nanny"

Then again if it is simply your opinion...that's fair. You are entitled to that.

o

I looked down the other day and noticed that I have cleavage...

o

I m tired of looking at backs on men & women that need bras. Right now I'm sitting in a hospital unit where at least 70 percent of it sufferers are life style related. Waddlers with drips stroll around.
How much lumber do I need in my diet. Why does ice cream which I don't eat have wood in it. A few years back I posted on the use of cellulose in pet food now it's in everything a nation of 2 legged termites.

o

Our neighbor's wife doesn't like the fact that her husband is obese, but she can live with it. However, she's grossed out by his man boobs.

He used to go topless in the summer, but she now makes him wear loose fitting shirts.

All 3 of their sons have major man boobs as well - all obesity related.

o

How much lumber do I need in my diet. Why does ice cream which I don't eat have wood in it. A few years back I posted on the use of cellulose in pet food now it's in everything a nation of 2 legged termites.

I know you cringe when I say this, but I am almost ROTF.

And I'm sorry that you're not sitting on a beach on a tropical island with EDD instead, Labrea. Hospital duty isn't for sissies.

They now make Spanx for men--T shirts.

Spanx for men

o

"I looked down the other day and noticed that I have cleavage..."

Why is nobody requesting pictures?

o

When it comes to the first lady, boy are there a LOT of sour grapes around here!

o

Since many people aren't going to do anything to lose weight, they might as well invest in compression shapewear to make themselves look and feel better.

o

Spanx is like photoshop in 3D!

o

Compression shapewear, indeed. Those rolls gotta go somewhere - just might not jiggle so much getting there.

o

"I would be very interested in seeing any source you have that indicates that the American people are unhappy with the First Lady's initiatives against obesity, especially amongst children."

What initiatives?

"Or any information that you have that the American people feel her efforts to fight obesity are tantamount to treating them like she is their "nanny""

No idea if Americans have been asked that question. Our government doesn't care what we think, so I wouldn't expect anybody to be asked. As we learned with Obamacare, this administration thinks it knows what's best for us. No asking involved. It just tells us how things are going to be.

Americans have never been receptive to government meddling in their private lives, though. If nagging Americans about their weight, eating habits, and lifestyle has produced a healthier America, I haven't heard about it. Have you?

o

If nagging Americans about their weight, eating habits, and lifestyle has produced a healthier America, I haven't heard about it. Have you?

According the graph provided by the CDC, tobacco smokers in the U.S. have decreased.

o

Too many mens & womens backs need bras in this town!
Therese a Gym every 25 feet in this neighborhood & they are all packed.
We tax the hell out of Cigarettes in NY good $13 a pack here I wish they were $20. Bloomberg got rid of cig in our parks good. He got rid of trans fat in fried foods in restaurants good "his comment we are supposed to stop you if you want to jump off abridge but we are supposed to let you kill yourself in otherways"
Some of the fat heads don't like that line of reasoning to bad. Misuse of food, obesity is a covert form of suicide as is drug addiction, cigarette smoking & alcoholism. (self will run riot & a form of insanity in regards to behavior. (It's insane to want to hurt yourself & those around you)
If your doctor tells your obese a lot won't & you do nothing about it & you kick off from a heart attack the insurance companies shouldn't have to pay off on a life insurance policy.
If your doctor reports your obese & you turn your life around you should get a tax break, earn the damn thing. Instead of giving it to the money movers.
Same if you modify any life threatening disorder disease, compulsion call it whatever you like. You maintain that your break becomes permanent.

o

It is the rise in medical costs that the continuing rise in obesity will continue to dramatically effect. If you are hurting yourself and your own pocketbook only, then have at it - eat a mountain of fries done up in transfats followed by ice cream with bits of cookie dough (??) embedded in between the heavy cream,sugar and eggs needed to make that ice cream -

but if you are one of millions who are causing ALL medical costs to rise because of your choice in poor eating habits, then it becomes the business of everyone.

Of course that opinion will make no difference - people will continued to be out-RAGED that somebody is trying to tell them what to do, or that the mere suggestion by that woman who had the audacity to become the First Lady is (shoving down our throats) suggesting to all of us that it is in the best interests of our chidren and ourselves to teach them by example to move fast and long enough in order to work off a bit of that excess back and cardiac fat -

but in fact nobody will be able to change anyone else's dietary habits or exercise options.

Each of us is stuck with making that choice and effort for ourselves. Nobody can even blame the President for this one.

I'm quite sure that were it possible, many would. And might, still.

Hey - it's the American way.

o

nik - your pettiness is really showing. Criticizing the 1st lady for caring about the obesity of the people in this country, especially children, only makes YOU look bad. Not Mrs. Obama.

"I would be very interested in seeing any source you have that indicates that the American people are unhappy with the First Lady's initiatives against obesity, especially amongst children."

What initiatives?

Really? It's called "Let's Move". I'm sure you've heard of it.

Americans have never been receptive to government meddling in their private lives, though.

Oh, so we've never been receptive to First Ladies having an initiative? We were resentful when we were told to say no to drugs? We were resentful when we were told we should read to our children? Really? I don't think so.
Those First Ladies were just "nagging" us?

There is plenty of valid things to complain about this administration. Spend some time finding something that really is bad. Lots of posts about them around here. This just makes you look foolish, IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lets Move

o

Nik, all I can say is if you have no idea of all the intitiatives your First Lady has been involved in when it comes to good nutrition and physical fitness, especially for the young, then you need to do some homework before you judge her "credentials" based on her "look".

o

Americans have never been receptive to government meddling in their private lives, though.

this coming from someone that supports the party that wants to legislate bedroom behavior and tell women what to do with their bodies.
what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!

o

"Nik, all I can say is if you have no idea of all the intitiatives your First Lady has been involved in when it comes to good nutrition and physical fitness, especially for the young, then you need to do some homework before you judge her "credentials" based on her "look"."

The First Lady is working on a very large, multifaceted program. Terms like "initiatives" and "efforts" are meaningless in such a broad context. I can't be specific unless you are.

o

Yes nik, I know you can't...because none of this is really about her commendable efforts in the area of childhood obesity. It's about something else all together. I'll highlight your words once more....prompted by this comment from Demi and let your words stand on their own.

Demi....

"Wanna post a photo of Michelle Obama's backside after posting her list to us of what we should be doing to not be obese and say the same thing to her? "

and this one from you Nik

"Demi's observation is perfectly appropriate. One look calls into question what kind of "credentials" qualify our first lady to lecture anyone on matters of exercise or nutrition. "

Over to you for the last word...I've made my point.

o

The First Lady is working on a very large, multifaceted program. Terms like "initiatives" and "efforts" are meaningless in such a broad context. I can't be specific unless you are.

You are the one repeatedly criticizing Mrs. Obama for her work on getting people to eat healthy and exercise.

Now you say you cannot be specific?

Nice try, but did you think we didn't read your prior posts?

o

Love your new tactic nik, having the last word by starting a new thread...yawn!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here