Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who gets to decide?

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 8:45

When a capital crime is committed the defendant goes before a judge and a jury who arrive at a decision in the due process of the law. But have you ever wondered how the decision for drone targets is arrived at? There used to be some kind of committee and several moves before getting Obama's OK but this was considered unwieldy so now the decision is basically down to one man. A 'suspected' terrorist (a crime is not necessary, only the suspicion that one might occur) is put on a list by the CIA etc. then he is tried and convicted, being on the list makes him guilty,by this person in Washington who sends his name up to the executioner (Obama) and zap he and his family and few others are gone.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Brennan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who gets to decide?

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 12 at 8:55

I saw that in yesterday's Times... terrifying. We can't even get it right when we present evidence on both sides and have impartial peers arbitrate with the help of a referee. It is truly "the hand of god" reaching out and zapping from the sky those that "the hand of god" deems death-worthy based on...what?

You have to have "faith" to allow your "gods"/government to exercise this kind of power. I DO NOT HAVE THAT KIND OF FAITH.

You write the screenplay... imagine where this is going 50 to 100 years down the road when we develop even better killing technology... different reasons for the killing... and others acquire it and apply the same "rules". What kind of world are we creating?

o

"What kind of world are we creating?"

A very worrying prospect I agree kwoods. Not that I support the methodology of this particular Luddite but the Una-bomber had some prescient things to say about technology

Here is a link that might be useful: Ted

o

As kwoods writes, what goes around, comes around.

The U.S. is proudly amoral in its war on terror - especially with drones.

o

Who gets to decide? Certainly not the people of a nation. It's leaders are convinced that the way to peace is through war.

"Violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem. It merely creates new and more complicated ones." Martin Luther King. Oslo,1964.

"Instruments of war do have a role to play in preserving the peace." Barrack Obama. Oslo,2009.

I placed a separator line there because the two men do not belong on the same stage.

Washington is convinced that sometimes you must destroy a village to save it. Apply the right rhetoric and every war can be justified.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 12 at 10:23

....do the drones being used in America right now have "weapon capability" (says a person who has no idea about weapons) ?

Will Americans be outraged if they are used against, oh lets say occupiers ? Or will they call it "collateral damage" ?

Just wondering...

o

Tue, May 22, 12 at 13:37

We need drones that use more discriminating and less destructive weapons. Maybe a DNA sniffing dragonfly sized drone that injects its victim with a neurotoxin. My birthday is coming up (hint).

Science fiction? Google MAVs, a subset of UAVs.

Where is the accountability in all of this? Do we have any mechanism in place to check on who we are killing, why and how that determination is made? Do we actually have any say in why? Who does? Who gets to play god?

What about the inevitability of when the why changes and the who is somebody else, are we ok with that? Because these weapons aren't going away. Pandora's box has been opened. Without transparency there is no accountability and the whole thing winds up being based on our "trust" of our government. How much "faith" do you have in your government?

o

"How much "faith" do you have in your government?"

Government overall? Not much. Not anymore.

Violence begets violence... it does not bring peace. It may bring death, destruction, and stop one side's violence for the moment, but it breeds resentment, which can turn into more violence.

The way to peace is through communication, transparency, honesty, ethics, integrity, compromise, and finding similarities instead of differences. Learning to offer a helping hand instead of one filled with hate and bigotry. As children, are we not taught to share? Are we not taught to treat others with the same respect and dignity we expect? Are we not taught to reach out our hands in friendship?

o

Yeah that's certainly not a great process! Will never hold up I'm an international court. Like that might ever happen.

o

Fighting for peace is like screaming for quiet.

o

Jodi: "Learning to offer a helping hand instead of one filled with hate and bigotry" Hard to imagine a hand filled with hate and bigotry, but I get the picture.

Sounds pretty, but when you stretch out that helping hand and a grenade is placed in it, then what? It's too late to turn the other cheek.

Wish it was that simple. You must have been a Flower Child, sigh.

o

Wed, May 23, 12 at 9:09

o

Well... since the Cold War is over, I figured it wouldn't be too long before the next bogeyman was presented front and center... and there it is... to stoke the fires of fear and allow for the banging of more war drums... terrorism!

Every nation has its fanatics, I suppose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here