Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Michelle Obama's speec this weekend

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 8:55

Michelle was great! The only high school graduation at which she spoke this year. But the news headline really bothers me. MLK is a star shining in the American school system (thank you Dr. Turner!). One of the first African-American schools in Nashville. These kids excel in so many ways, academically, athletically, as members of our community... She said persevere, commit to yourself, to your friends, to your new community at university. Loads of good advice. But no. ABC says she made light of the President's failures. What? What a terrible spin on the speech. Shame on them. She's still a target of teasing. She is a great woman has done well and is an example for young women around the US and the world. Thank you Michelle! I am sorry for the difficulties associated with this speech!!!

Go Royals!

Here is a link that might be useful: Michelle's speech

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Michelle Obama's speec this weekend

She seems to be a nice woman but what makes her a great one?

o

Her values, her carriage, her way of speaking, her participation in the White House activities... It's very admirable. I shan't go on, but you suggest why you disagree if you do. I realize you may just be playing devil's advocate. I may like other people, but admire, that's not something I throw around lightly. In that regard I can name like ten other women that hit that mark, in my eyes, and during my lifetime.

:)

o

I admire a lot of people but few that rise to the level of greatness...

o

I think she's great, too, Rob and worth a lot more than the faint praise of "nice." I think her efforts on behalf of military families, her work with getting kids to eat better and more nourishing food, her latest speech to kids who have done well and will benefit from her encouragement are only a few of her public efforts at making this country stronger. I rank Roslyn Carter in her sphere as well, plus Betty Ford with her work on substance abuse. These are women of whom this country can be very proud.

o

You really believe their accomplishments fall in the realm of greatness or is just because they are women?

o

I was speaking of First Ladies, tobr. Fuss with that as you wish.

There is actually no greater First Lady than Eleanor Roosevelt.

o

Well, if you limit it just to First Ladies I will give you Eleanor but not the rest...

o

so you agree with ABC's spin on the speech? She was just doing damage control?

Yes, I'd think it if she was president and her husband was doing these things. I'd admire the husband for doing what he was doing. Oh, all right. I do admire men too, but again, only about a handful or two. Do I have to name the women I hold in this regard? I have named Michelle before. And Coretta Scott King was with her for many of the same reasons. So many people have values that aren't all that fantastic. These women do. I love Mother Teresa's true holiness, nothing feigned there. Put her money where her mouth was. And more. I love Corrie ten Boom. Courage of the deepest kind and conviction worth emulating. Do I have to go on or why am I on trial here? What's the prob tobr? Or now do I now have to reveal the men I hold in high regard? I will tell you Obama is held in this regard too. Not that I agree with every policy he's stated, but as human being overall and for many reasons. You're a little derailed!

o

Perhaps we should let history decide Obama's greatness or lack of it, but I am glad to see expand out to include men...q

o

As a human being. Nothing more. We're not talking politics here. At least, I wasn't. There are loads of people out there in the spot light that fade quickly. Once we know the real person. Nothing about either of them disappointments me.

Did you have anything to say about her speech or the article's spin on it? :)

Because I honestly would never have thought about her speech that way at all. Sour grapes is all I get out of ABC. Which bothered me. You don't see me talking about Jesse Jackson, and he too was in Nashville recently.

I don't love everything all the time. Not all democrats, not all people who come to Nashville. This is my honest opinion of her and this speech. Nothing more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Civil Rights Activist-Jesse Jackson

o
RE: Michelle Obama's speec this weeke

We need to not water down greatness, but we can find some people remarkable for their achievements. Greatness can include all human endeavors, tike Babe Ruth for example...

o

I think we have different reference points for "great."

Not taking away from Michelle Obama, Roslyn Carter, Betty Ford, Laura Bush, or anyone else, but I agree--Eleanor Roosevelt is the only First Lady that rose above the level of what I think SHOULD be expected of a First Lady.

Pretty much the others, to one degree or another, did what is expected of them.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Mon, May 20, 13 at 10:22

o

Now see, I do disagree there. I try not to disagree with some people's choices, but not this time. I would never hold Ruth to the same level as Michelle. And it's not because she's a woman or the President's wife.

But you've separated out his public works from his personal life. A philandering, drunk, who could play baseball well is how I see him. So we'll just disagree. It's ok, I don't feel the need to agree with you or you to agree with me

Not that one can't screw up. I don't think Pete Rose's personal insecurity/stupidity (let's don't dissect this too much. You can start a new thread on the merits of this) should keep him out of the Hall of Fame, necessarily. But I don't hold him in high regard either. His personal life knocks him off of my high regard list. If you want political, I can pick there too. But you picked sports and sports is where I replied.

o

I didn't see or hear the speech ,but I agree with Rob. Other than Eleanor Roosevelt, I cannot think of a first lady who has done more. She's a pretty remarkable and talented woman. .

o

I didn't hear the speech, but I agree with you, Rob. Michelle is a fantastic role model for women and girls of all races. I love that she is promoting physical fitness and fighting childhood obesity in America by her strong stance. And I think it's wonderful that she created the White House garden as an example. I also like that she she seems real and down-to-earth, approachable.

o

Eleanor Roosevelt. Wow. Now there's another first lady. I might even put her first on the list. I don't think it mattered if she was "just" first lady, she would've been a trailblazer regardless of where she was. Bloom where you're planted. Which reminds me, haven't seen marquest in a while. phooey.

o

Could there be anything more petty than taking Rob's heartfelt appreciation of Michelle Obama and what she has done so far in her life as the jumping off point for a whine about what "great" means or reducing Rob's praise to a gender issue? Sometimes it is perfectly okay to feel good about another person without being subjected to idle and pointless criticism.

o

Pidge, I was thinking the same thing.

Rob, thank you for the link. It was a great speech. Nothing to find fault with.

~Ann

o

Yea, but it's ok. Didn't hurt my feelings!

:)

Couldn't dampen my spirits.

o

Ah, Rob, you have always rocked and you still do.

o

Rob I am around. You were doing a good job. I agree you rock. I watched all the Graduation Speeches and they made me proud of the President and our First Lady. The message and the role model they are setting for the young people is awesome.

I have been in the garden forums. I stop in do a speed read, shake my head feel sorry for some and run back to my garden.

o

Applying the term great should be reserved for those who accomplished a great feat or feats whether or not they were nice people. I rest my case...

o

mar! Great to see you. I'm doing more and more of that speed read and shake my head.

o

Rob and Mar, I am with you. Right now I feel as if there is a fly buzzing around my head on this thread. Either of you have a fly-swatter?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, May 21, 13 at 9:04

Rob I am among those who just can't bring myself to comment on many threads .... some here exist just to chum the water Pidge, and are ruining the chance for "all" of us to have a conversation and discuss the very real issues facing "all" of us.

Thank you for the thread Rob ... at least you tried (((Rob)))

o

How is Michelle Obama one of the very real issues facing us all? Give me a break...

o

OM didn't mean the "real issues" on this thread. We've turned to the forum in general.

o

Tue, May 21, 13 at 9:39

I know you did not Rob ... it was just a thought in general about many of the threads on HT that i simply no longer have the energy or desire to participate in.

Must be the humid weather here, but the gnats are persistent :)

o

Must be the humid weather here, but the gnats are persistent :)

The infestation seems to be permeating everywhere on HT OM. Sadly bug spray and common sense doesn't seem to help. Since there is no exterminator all one can do is stay away or go somewhere else where the gnats aren't so annoying and/or derail every thread.

o

Ohiomom, I know you are right. You are always one of the most sensible and serious people on this forum. Even when I don't agree with you, I always grant you the respect you deserve.

o

Well tobr if you are stirring the pot I will bite and run back to my garden. So if you respond I might not see it. but....... If our children are not healthy you are not going to have anyone to bring you a bed pan when you need it the most. It starts with nutrition.

How is Michelle Obama one of the very real issues facing us all?

"However, in the last 2 decades, type 2 diabetes (formerly known as adult-onset diabetes) has been reported among U.S. children and adolescents with increasing frequency. Also, studies conducted in Europe showed an increase in the frequency of type 1 diabetes, especially in young children. It is unclear whether the frequency of type 1 diabetes is also increasing among U.S. youth."

Here is a link that might be useful: Health of our children

o

Tue, May 21, 13 at 10:54

LOL Pidge ... I am shocked we do not walk in "lockstep". I would not have it any other way :)

o

I'm with epi, OM, pidge, and mar. I post less and less on this forum.

o

mar, the vibe I'm getting from tobr is, she's nice, but she's only riding his coat-tails... so your point will likely fly by tobr.

I, however, agree with it.

o

I post less and less too because some here are getting just like the people I turn off talk radio. This country does not remotely remind me at all of the country I grew up in. It's mean and divisive.

o

Well I have heard she is good at sports so perhaps she can meet Tobr's standard for greatness- being able to hit a baseball really hard.

o

I saw her effort as bringing a serious issue to the front of what is happening to our children. Something I did not realize was happening. From all the studies of recent illness of our children I think I am not alone. It is like making people aware the danger of smoking around your children. The new "make people aware" is diet and nutrition.

It started a discussion and realization when talking to my daughter about this issue. She said there were young mothers on her job that were buying the sandwiches out of the vending machine for dinner for their children or stopping by McDonalds, pizza hut. That is not a meal you should give your children.

As a working single mom I cooked on the weekend for the week. Stuff a chicken with wild rice, a meat loaf mashed potatoes, veggie, and a roast. All this could be put in the oven and cooked while I made the side dishes. We had a heat up dinner for a week and a half by doing that and it did not cost much and it was nutritious. It appears either mothers and fathers do not realize that or are not taught there is an alternative to having to cook everyday when they come home from work and the health benefits.

o

Another way to deal with the problem of nutritious dinners is teach your children to cook. We were taught starting around 4 or 5 to help-boys and girls. By the time we were 12 we were expected to be able to walk into the kitchen and produce real food. My mother would make up a schedule of when to put on what. I expect many of those young mothers were never taught to cook so how can they make decent meals for their children?

So why is hitting a base ball a proper criterion for greatness when emphasizing and offering programs to help parents learn how to feed children is not- Make a gazillion dollars hitting a ball, give up making a gazillion dollars to front programs on healthy eating? I guess I can see tobr's point Homerun? children without diabetes? You be the judge.

o

You know my thoughts on that one! heh

My 13 year old son has been taught what constitutes a healthy meal and can fix a meal without ever turning on the stove. He can make himself a sandwich, prepare a fruit, and a glass of milk when he's at home by himself. It's not hard if one tries! Even a young kid can do it, if taught. What really gets me about meals? I cannot believe the amount of money those who buy fast-food stuff all the time. I too can make a week's worth of nutritious dinners on a shoestring budget. So much cheaper, so much tastier, and so much healthier (less or no fat, more fresh veggies/fruits and no chemicals to make it last longer). Their eyes must be totally shut if they don't see any one of the three?!

o

Can't seem to find exactly what she did in her job at UofC. Can't imagine it was worth $300,000 a year. Over $100,000 when she went "part-time" during the presidential campaign. And, they have not replaced her. One important job she had there.

My goal in this position," Obama said, "is to continue to broaden the Hospitals' relationships with our neighborhood and with our city." The University of Chicago Hospitals is one of the largest employers on the South Side and one of the most renowned medical institutions in Chicago and even the Midwest. "We have an obligation," she said, "to ensure that we use our resources on behalf of our neighborhood and our city. In this new role, my goal is to better integrate community engagement into the culture of this institution and to expand our partnerships with local organizations and institutions."

Sounds like, maybe, scholarships?

o

Here we go again, dredging up old, irrelevant info about Michelle--before she was first lady--which is to say, before her husband was ELECTED BY A MAJORITY to be president.

Somehow, I think the University of Chicago was perfectly capable of giving Michelle the boot if she was such a loser as Oct. implies, but they did not. And so what if they didn't hire someone in her exact position? Most institutions I've worked at re-organize and even re-prioritize when valued employees leave. That is no criticism of the employee. And sometimes hard financial times require re-organization, whether they want to or not. And sometimes, that position gets a new name--which is to say that the same work is being done, but by a different person with a different title.

There are all sorts of possibilitities, and if OCT. were an insider at the U of C , he would probably know what they are, but instead, he is an outsider who, for political reasons, want to ignorantly imply some kind of "dirt" about the first lady in the long ago past, rather than to acknowledge the outstanding work she is currently doing as First Lady.

Oct. -- have you checked Micelle's current (and on-going) approval rating with the American public? Hey--most Americans do not agree with your view of her. So quit making up dirt to sling at our First Lady.

Posts like Oct's are why I don't post much here any more either. Pointless!

Kate

o

Her popularity is thru the roof. The Righties are soooo jealous. And despite all the so called scandals that Fox dredges up , Obama is polling 53% this week according to CNN poll.

o

Can't seem to find exactly what she did in her job at UofC. Can't imagine it was worth $300,000 a year.

In one sentence you say you cannot find what she did in her job. And then in the very next sentence you say you don't think it was worth what they paid her. Really? So, you don't know what she did, but you're sure it was not worth her salary.

You typed those words, and one would hope previewed what you wrote, and still hit the submit button. And then you expect anyone to take what you said seriously? I sure hope not.

o

I think Michelle's as good a First Lady as any. Seems like many had a pet project(s): equal rights, health care, plight of orphans, medical aid for Union soldiers, highway beautification, etc.

I would be thrilled to attend any live speech by our First Lady, supporter or not. For me, it would probably be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

o

It seems that some of you would elevate Michelle to sainthood right now...

o

So what exactly would you have a spouse of the President do tobr? They're in the limelight. Would you like for her to act like Billy Carter (brother of President Carter) did? Wasn't that loads of fun? Libya and the IRS if you don't remember. I think, if I were related to someone in the White House I'd be really careful what I did and I'd do what tradition has been, bring light to the issues of Americans so that discussions could go forward. She's not a saint, but she's doing what she can and should do as someone in her position.

o

Exactly, but does that make her great, or just a good person? I hold being great to a much higher standard and that is Eleanor, no one else has come even close IMHO. I think this whole thread is quibbling over a definition...

o

Gee, I wonder who started the quibble?

o

Good point, but I had to take exception with using great so loosely...

o

See? That's where I take issue with your push back tobr. It's not "loosely used". Just because you don't agree doesn't mean A) she isn't admirable or B) that I tossed around the term. No one fed me the info. Believe it or not, I have my own very strong opinions. Not formed by the press or my peers.

o

No, you really didn't have to. It was not a point worth the petty bickering. And the pettiness certainly made talking about First Ladies and their various accomplishments a lot less interesting than it might have been.

o

Who is being petty now?

o

You are and have been thru out this thread. Michelle is a wonderful first lady and history might elevate her to great. Eleanor R set the standard which might never be beaten , but Michelle beats most of the ones after her in many ways.

o

Tobr-you are the one who set the standard for greatness in how well you hit a baseball. Now that is shallow.

I am amazed that people quibble about what these women do for free-the incredible flack they take for every little thing they do, what they wear, where they go, what they say-they give up any hope of a normal natural life and try to fit some dumb narrow standard for 'first ladies' The very title makes me puke. I would tell the American people to stick it in their ear. I would be a poor choice for a politicians wife.

o

I am amazed that people quibble about what these women do for free-the incredible flack they take for every little thing they do, what they wear, where they go, what they say-they give up any hope of a normal natural life and try to fit some dumb narrow standard for 'first ladies' The very title makes me puke.

I agree!

o

"The very title makes me puke."

"I agree!"

"Presidential consort" would cover every eventuality.

o

That was my thought elvis, what would you have them be known as? The collective name. Presidential spouses. Which still sounds like consort or "ladies". Let's just leave tradition alone on this one. No one is belittling them or their importance.

o

Saint Michele. I worship at your feet!!!!! There, happy now?

By the way, I never said she was a loser. That is your word.

I'm just so very curious what her very highly paid job was exactly. Aren't you? Don't you want to uncover all the wonderful terrific things she did while working at UofC? I haven't heard of one thing she did in that job. Don't you find that odd, at all?

o

•Posted by rob333 (My Page) on Thu, May 23, 13 at 7:45

"That was my thought elvis, what would you have them be known as? The collective name. Presidential spouses. Which still sounds like consort or "ladies". Let's just leave tradition alone on this one. No one is belittling them or their importance."

What happens when we have a married male gay president? We don't call his spouse/partner "First Lady"; that wouldn't be right, or when the pres is female. If her partner is a woman "First Lady" would work, but if she is married to a guy, there's a problem again. Or just call the spouse/partner by their name, as one would call a senator's spouse: Senator & Mrs. Jones. After all, the spouse/parrtner doesn't need an official title; they haven't been elected to do anything. Officially, they're nobody special.

I've got it: "First Mate."

o

october, I don't find it odd at all that we don't know every detail about what she did at her job. I don't know the details of what my daughters, son, husband do at their jobs beyond general terms and they only know except in very general terms about what I do at mine. If you did know that what Michelle Obama did every day at her job, it's likely that you would go off on a rant that whatever it was did not deserve that compensation she received.
This thread is irrelevant to the fact that she is a terrific First Lady.

o

I think she appears to be a very classy lady. I voted for her husband. I like most things about them. (except for their ties to a certain preacher). They give good speeches.

Guess I'm with tobr. Mother Theresa deserves admiration. I admire Oprah for a educating a whole lot of people on a whole lot of subjects. And I believe she is sincere. Just don't think Michele has done anything exceptional to be so adulated.

No rant intended.

o

We'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it. Don't you remember when people trried to change it to Fire Woman or Police woman? It's now Fire FIghters and Police Officer as the accepted terms. We'll get it right, eventually. It's not my favorite term, but one will show up and it'll be something I back.

o

October, your original comment had to do with your assertion that Michelle Obama was overpaid for a job you know nothing about. I don't mind that you are sliding away from that--I would too if I had made such an uninformed claim.

o

"I've got it: "First Mate."

And if it's someone like Newt, First, Second, Third (?) Mate?

Hay

o

At the link is a pretty good description of the controversy swirling around Mrs. Obama's tenure at the University of Chicago Medical Center and her job as vice president for community and external affairs.

The hospital complex also hires executive vice presidents for all kinds of things - construction, strategic affiliations, and who knows what all.

As a reference, the University of Colorado Anchutz Medical Center also has flocks of executives with fancy sounding titles and they're all paid well into the 6 figures.

/your medical dollars at work

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I like Michele. I also like that Hawaiian Honey that Obama took to the prom. (In Time this past week.)

No doubt, Barack is a charmer. Be careful.

Hay

o

I'm not sliding away from my original comment. I still stand by it. I don't have to know "every detail" either. Just something, one thing. Can't seem to find anything. (Not that I am very good at scouring the internet for information.) But, nothing, absolutely nothing about her accomplishments while in that job, which, by the way, was created just for her and has not since been filled. (Found some negative things, but I don't think you want to hear about those. )

Looks like we have new royalty in America. Step aside Kennedy's.

o

It is easy enough to get an idea by looking at the job descriptions which are easily found on the internet. Many larger universities have vp's with similar job descriptions and. all make nice salaries and they work hard on a variety of initiatives. If one really wants to know all they have to do is look and they can find pertinent info.

o

Do you think the Obamas are really worried what people think about Michelle's old job? Nah, me neither...

o

Every First Lady is great because she ends up with a job that she doesnt get paid for, didnt ask for, wasnt requested for and yet is criticised for daily and looked upon with suspicion by at least half of the country all of the time. That the wives of our Presidents survive this while displaying grace and dignity is what makes them great, Tobur. That you insist upon a higher standard of greatness as well as enduring the abuse they suffer from their own people of their own country is, to me, an odd requirement.

Every First Lady has been great, especially since she has never been allowed, by any of us, to just quit when she has had enough and wants to go home and live in peace without constant ridicule or criticism.

Well, the thread was a nice thought, Rob and I do thank you for that.

o

I also thank you, Rob, for praising Michelle Obama and standing by your position. Good for you.

o

Wives of presidents have not always just gone along-some of the earlier ones stayed home but America did not eat drink and breath DC. The issue in the past was having a hostess for dinners and generally some female relative could be found. Dolly Madison frequently subbed for Jefferson's daughter. They were not expected to have a social agenda though. People did make some what of a fuss about Mrs Lincoln's clothes what with it being war time and all.
You know Laura Bush was definitly in the background most of her husband's terms in office and didn't really come out until towards the end. I always heard she was uncomfortable in all the limelight. Strangely enough no one made a big stink about it nor do I ever remember anyone talking about how much any of her vacations cost or her clothes or anything. She always came across as a nice person. To not fit the mold-well that to me is greatness.

So to be plain my objection is to the expectation that 'first Ladies' will give up their own careers, lives, days, plans, expectations, personal tastes, safety! to try to meet the expectations of the thankless carping American public and when they do, well they cant be great-they cant hit a baseball out of the park.

o

At the link is an advertisement for a post at the same medical center, vice president of facilities....

This is the person who will DESTROY PRESIDENT REAGAN'S BOYHOOD HOME!!!!@!@!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Gee, giant metal claws demolishing the home where Reagan spent time between the ages of 3 and 4. A veritable lifetime of memories gone even before learning to read or the first of the gozintas. But the U of C will have a memorial parking lot to add to the plethora of other Reagan memorabilia dotting the globe.

o

Re usurping threads this has what to do with Michelle Obama?

o

Absolutely nothing to do with Mrs. Obama - who is a charming and lovely First Lady.

Guilty of derailment as charged.

o

First ladys are just the closest thing we have to a queen. The press makes a big deal out of them.

o

Have to jump in here with my opinion. :)

Michelle Obama has been a wonderful first lady, imo. Why do I say that?

First, I think that she is generally interested in the causes she has chosen to promote - healthy eating and support for military families. She gets a lot of crap for both, and it's obviously politically motivated. I think she's done as much with these two causes as we could expect of any first lady.

Second, she's raising two kids in the White House while doing all of this, and doing what appears to be a fabulous job of it. The Obamas moved "grandma" into the White House with them to help with the girls, which was a very wise move, imo.

My only criticism - some real faux pas regarding her clothing in the first year or so. Not just clothes I personally didn't like, but clothing that was totally inappropriate to the occasion and reflected badly on her position as first lady. There are people who advise about such things, so you have to wonder if she chose not to take their advice or if she listened to the wrong people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here