Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Obama Effect: African Americans supporting gay marriage

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 9:31

Yes, this is another post on Obama's support of gay marriage. If you're tired of reading about, scroll on by...

While African Americans are generally less supportive of marriage equality as a whole, a growing number of black leaders and community members have come to embrace the issue since President Obama endorsed the freedom to marry last week.

As Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) explained during an appearance on MSNBC Thursday afternoon, "Dr. [Martin Luther] King took a simple position. When people would ask him about interracial marriage, he would simply say races don't fall in love and get married, individuals fall in love and get married." "So if two men or two women want to fall in love and get married it's their business," he added:

LEWIS: My position is very, very simple. That I fought too long and too hard against discrimination based on race and color, not to stand up and fight against discrimination based on sexual orientation. If you're going to provide civil rights and equality for everybody, you cannot draw a line, you cannot build a wall. We must respect the dignity and the worth of every human being whether they are gay or straight.

African Americans are agreeing with Lewis in greater numbers:

� 54 percent of African Americans support Obama's position on same-sex marriage: A recent ABC News/Washington Post poll found that since Obama declared his support, "54 percent express a favorable view of his position on the issue," compared to "just 41 percent of African-Americans supported gay marriage in ABC/Post polls in mid-2011 and early 2012."

� 11 point shift in support for marriage among African Americans in NC: A Public Policy Polling survey found "a noticeable shift in the attitudes of African Americans in North Carolina toward rights for gay couples in the wake of President Obama's announcement last week that he supports gay marriage. Our final poll before the primary last week found only 20% of black voters in the state favoring gay marriage, with 63% opposed. Now 27% express support for gay marriage with 59% opposed, for an overall 11 point shift on the margin."

� Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC) comes out for marriage equality: The highest ranking African American in Congress told MSNBC earlier this week, "I, like the president, have evolved to a point of marriage equality. I have not always been there. I grew up in a parsonage, a fundamentalist Christian parsonage, and I grew up with that indoctrination. And I have grown to the point that I believe that we have evolved to marriage equality." "If we consider this to be a civil right - and I do - I don't think civil rights ought to be left up to a state-by-state approach," Clyburn said. "I think that we should have a national policy on this."

� African Americans say Obama's support did not change their opinion of him: A Pew Research Center survey concluded that "most African Americans, on the other hand, say the announcement did not alter their opinion of Obama."

More black than white people oppose marriage equality, but since 2008, "the proportion of African Americans favoring gay marriage has increased from 26% to 39%, while opposition has fallen from 63% to 49%."

I'm thinking at least some of these people really did support it before Obama's announcement, but now feel more comfortable saying it outloud.

Here's hoping more prominent African Americans speak out.

The tide is shifting! Thank you Mr. President!

Here is a link that might be useful: African Americans for gay marriage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Obama Effect: African Americans supporting gay marriage

I can hear Jesse and Al now...

We couldn't bring our brothers and sisters on board...but who can?

Obama can!

Great campaign slogan.

Now, for those righteous ones who want to stick me, it's humor. so laugh

o

I think the tide will eventually turn... civilization generally either fears what it does not know or understand, or follows the doctrine it was born into. As more prominent community leaders speak out, the tide will turn a little more. Like anything else, things take time to get used to, to learn about, for opinions and beliefs to change. It's just a shame that we happen to be talking about an actual human segment of our population. Why we have to see lines drawn in the sand at all when it comes to equality is something I'll never understand.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 12 at 21:09

The NAACP backs same-sex marriage as civil right.

Here is a link that might be useful: NAACP backs same-sex marriage

o

And so it spreads. Good for them.

o

I still wonder why anyone cares.

o

Ingrained religious doctrines mainly, Lily, plus that same "ick" factor/homophobia prejudice we talk about from time to time... basic ignorance and fear of the unknown... there's a segment of our population that still wants control over morality and what we do within the privacy of our sexual lives, including control over the laws that dictate marriage and an unwillingness to see the American family redefined from one mom, one dad, and 2.5 children plus a dog or cat, presumably.

The same basic outdated social constructs that keep some people voting by old party line ideals that don't exist any longer.

In other words... they have no idea why. They just know it's not what they're used to, or it's still something they've been told is wrong. It will take more time and more strong community leaders to change more thought processes, but at least that tide is turning. It will take more independent thought to realize that one marriage has no bearing over the next.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, May 20, 12 at 9:48

The mindset of the anti same sex stance is that since they would never, ever, in a million years marry someone else of the same sex - so therefore neither will Anyone Else, Period.

o

It seems to me as though the same segment of the population has made sex, itself, into a dirty thing... something taboo, to be hidden and never spoken of, let alone done. And woe unto those who actually enjoy it!

It will always be my firm belief that we can solve more of our social issues in this area with in depth, factual education on the realities of today's society, available health care and birth control, and allowing for each citizen to make their own choices when it comes to sex, family planning, protection, etc...

To me, common sense and changed times trump what a bunch of men wrote thousands of years ago... men who's interests lay in maintaining control over a patriarchal society... and one that, strangely enough, preaches one thing but practices another.

Society has greatly changed, but certain segments insist on living in the past. Change is inevitable. Keeping up with it is simply the right thing to do. We can't exclude based upon personal prejudices... and that's exactly what some of our legislators would have us do.

Others, like Obama, would rather be inclusive, and work toward that end, I think, in a federally recognized manner. It's not right to allow each state to vote individually based upon their predominant religious beliefs... and that is what appears to be happening.

o

NAACP today has come out recognizing marriage equality as a civil right.

he NAACP has passed a resolution endorsing same-sex marriage as a civil right, putting it stamp on an issue that has divided the black community.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People's board voted at a leadership retreat in Miami on Saturday to back a resolution supporting marriage equality, calling the position consistent with the equal protection provision of the US constitution.

"The mission of the NAACP has always been to ensure political, social and economic equality of all people," board chairwoman Roslyn M Brock said in a statement. "We have and will oppose efforts to codify discrimination into law."

Same-sex marriage is legal in six states and the District of Columbia, but 31 states have passed amendments to ban it.

"Civil marriage is a civil right and a matter of civil law. The NAACP's support for marriage equality is deeply rooted in the fourteenth amendment of the United States constitution and equal protection of all people" said NAACP president Benjamin Todd Jealous, a strong backer of gay rights."

Here is a link that might be useful: The Guardian

o

No one has changed their minds about whether or not they would personally like to see more gay unions and marriage, whether or not they feel that is beneficial for society or harmful to the social structure, or how they personally feel toward homosexuals.

However, the attitude of Americans toward the RIGHTS of gay people has been evolving over time, and Obama provided true leadership in getting others to recognize those Rights.

So this had nothing to do with how people may have personally felt about gay people past vs. present. Rather, it had to do with respecting the rights of gay people to conduct their lives like everyone else. For example, I don't particularly like people carrying guns on the street but I respect their Second Amendment right to do so.

It is interesting that the right wingers have a big problem with the right of people to do things like marry one another that have no impact on others and further, that they want Government to step in to stop it. These are the same people who claim they want more freedom and liberty and less government intrusion in our lives.

o

Heri: "It is interesting that the right wingers have a big problem with ..."

Who exactly are these people, Heri? Do you mean all whom consider themselves "right wing"? Or are you saying that all people whom you personally consider "right wing" feel this way?

I suppose your followup statement:

"These are the same people who claim they want more freedom and liberty and less government intrusion in our lives."

is a clarification? But there are many on both sides of the aisle and in between, who want to see more liberty and freedom, and less government intrusion in our lives.

So, rather than assume everyone knows exactly who you are talking about in that last paragraph of yours, will you please clarify your point in making these statements, and their relevance to the subject at hand?

o

I'm not speaking for heri, but Elvis, you do know that the official platform of the Republican party is against gay marriage, right? So, I don't understand why you are asking this question.

From the Republican party's platform:

Preserving Traditional Marriage

Because our children's future is best preserved within the traditional understanding of marriage, we call for a constitutional amendment that fully protects marriage as a union of a man and a woman, so that judges cannot make other arrangements equivalent to it.

o

Well to cut ELVIS some slack here who is right wing & who is a conservative might be the needle that angels need to dance upon is that what your asking or just what are you asking Elvis a membership list for (the right wing)
A variable right wing that has some folks liberals accept for this issue...where they are rather right if not extreme as in the case of NY State Democratic Senator Ruben Diaz.
"I can see that for the community in question...those religiously convicted"
The left leaning liberal Democrats except for abortion & marriage equality or civil rights for GLBT...was that where you were going?
Sort of like I'm a fiscal conservative accept for unfunded tax cuts.
I've had co-workers who claim to love & care for "me" & Edd but wouldn't bat an eye at preaching their Pentacostal screed at the slightest opportunity.
We actually had to several company meeting over it (sensitivity classes)which I think are now all moot in light of a fedex ruling that says you can proselytize at work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hail & farewell

o

Heri: "It is interesting that the right wingers have a big problem with ..."

Elvis: "Who exactly are these people, Heri? Do you mean all whom consider themselves "right wing"? Or are you saying that all people whom you personally consider "right wing" feel this way?"

JIN: "Elvis, you do know that the official platform of the Republican party is against gay marriage, right? So, I don't understand why you are asking this question."

Because "right wing" and "Republican" are not interchangeable terms?

o

OK, that's true. Republican is "to the right", but there are different degrees of how right one is. Dems are "to the left" to differing degrees.

But, my point is that the platform of the current Republican party is against gay marriage.

So, saying "the right wing" is against gay marriage seems to be an accurate statement, no?

o

All the black folks who don't approve of gay marriage are right wing Republicans and hate Obama? Huh?

o

No, there are liberal folks that do not support gay marriage. Not all non-supporters are right wing, or Republican or an Obama-hater (or some combination).

o

JIN: "So, saying "the right wing" is against gay marriage seems to be an accurate statement, no?"

No.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, May 21, 12 at 15:15

How many black Americans are posting on this thread ?

...just wondering :)

o

JIN: "So, saying "the right wing" is against gay marriage seems to be an accurate statement, no?"

No.

How about -- The Republican party is against gay marriage.

o

Well, the platform says that, right?

o

Republican on the right side of politics and a Christian.
Believe in ALL rights for gays.
I am not a judge. Would never overstep my ego by telling another adult who to love or marry.
Hope I live to see this a non-issue.

But, here is another but....I respect the right for other people to disagree with me if they are basing their belief on moral beliefs.
If they truly believe it is wrong...who am I to tell them they are going to have to think like I do.

I am aware of Mitt Romney's stance on this issue.
I will vote for him because when he is elected President he
is going to be too busy with the economy and 1000 other of Obamas left over mess....which is at the top of my list for right now.
I think right now it is at the top of everyones list.

I got off topic.....African-Americans flip-flopping with Obama.
I wasn't surprised at all.

o

I will vote for him because when he is elected President he
is going to be too busy with the economy

Reminds me of the 2010 elections. Republicans said they were going to be all about the economy. And yet they have taken up most of their time with bills that infringe on the rights of others.

Nah, republicans are never too busy to take care of legislating their morals.

o

Mom,

If there was one, and he or she spoke with commitment against gay marriage, what do you think would happen?

a. he or she would win friends?
b. he or she would be bashed for bigotry?
c. he or she be accused of being a closet right wing Republican?

o

Mon, May 21, 12 at 19:13

I don't know Brush, but seems like all the white folk here have taken it upon themselves to speak for black Americans.

I find it amusing.

o

So do I--I've wondered about that a lot.

Maybe someone should take on a new identity and post here as the token black. That would be interesting.

o

Mom,
If there was one, and he or she spoke with commitment against gay marriage, what do you think would happen?

a. he or she would win friends?
b. he or she would be bashed for bigotry?
c. he or she be accused of being a closet right wing Republican?

Bill has spoken against gay Marriage with commitment I respect Bill.
Now you on the other hand pfffft!

o

Maybe someone should take on a new identity and post here as the token black.

There are black people that post here, they just don't always declare their race.

o

"I don't know Brush, but seems like all the white folk here have taken it upon themselves to speak for black Americans.
I find it amusing."

WOW we have segregated topics now? Or is it reading comprehension or a presumptuous assumption?

Droll, amusement thats sad!

o

Tue, May 22, 12 at 8:59

Joe have no idea where you are going with the above statement, but frankly I would have a problem with any male stating "what women think" the same way I would have a problem with anyone stating "what my gay black daughters" think and feel. Maybe "my" reading comprehension needs improvement .. shrug

o
....and yes

Tue, May 22, 12 at 9:05

....I find it "amusing" when males speak for women.

o

I find it racist to devalue in any way any input on a national topic & the amused presumption that the reponders are WHITE.
I find it racist to ask the race of posters as a qualification to even discuss the topic!

o

Tue, May 22, 12 at 9:45

love that 1st Amendment :)

o

Yes so do i :)

o

Maybe someone should take on a new identity and post here as the token black. That would be interesting.

This is loathsome. Many people of color post here -- most don't feel the need to wear it on their sleeve just to satisfy your desire to exoticize them.

o

Now even comic book gay characters (who knew they had them?) are getting MARRIED!

Is it the Obama effect?

Here is a link that might be useful: Xmen get married to each other

o

Oh good..... after all these year of waiting I hope that little gay teletubby can find somone.
They can exhume Jerrry Fallwell to perform the service.

o

What a disgusting little turd Falwell was.

o

We are talking about national organizations and clear policy platforms. They speak for themselves.

All I can think of the last few months reading this board, is how far we are from a "post racial" America...it is truly stunning the remarks being thrown about.

The universe bends towards justice.

o

Well His University carries on his work & Mittens gave his counter equality speech there but he doesn't want to talk about that.

o

So, if a person is bi-racial, do they get to speak for both or either side? How does that work, exactly? As far as I'm concerned, I speak only for myself... and sometimes for my husband, who tells me how he feels.

The Universe may bend toward justice, but I have my doubts about some segments of the human species that make up a small part of this Universe. Where ever human rights are concerned, it sure seems like there are plenty of people waiting for a chance to stomp on them, whether through their own fears or ignorance, or because of whatever benefits it carries for them.

It is my opinion that some folks forget that homosexuality has been part of human civilization since its beginnings, is also a part of our animal kingdom, and while some societies have accepted and embraced this part of our civilization as normalcy, others have shunned it for whatever prejudicial reasons, forcing people to hide their true selves.

I, personally, find it abhorrent that the human species so divides itself because of the unknown, or because of its fears, or because of words issued by others... words that have no real basis for such divisions.

Someone I know posted something rather humorous elsewhere... it was a photo of a person getting a tattoo of the Leviticus verses that prohibit homosexuality... the humorous part being, the person fails to realize that the same verses also go on to prohibit tattoos, among other things... and tattooing is also quite an ancient part of civilization. Not only did I find it humorous, I also found it to be the epitome of homophobia... which would be newer to our civilization...

o

I am a black American and oppose same sex marrying.Obama can change the constitute ion but he can't change God's word.

o

And that is the beauty of being in America. We can all have different opinions! For, against - whatever.

Thanks, goldy, for chiming in. People are not always in lock step with each other - whether it be according to their political party, their race, their age or their gender.

o

The Rev. Otis Moss, an affiliate of Martin Luther King, Jr., and senior pastor at Trinity United Church of Christ (Jeremiah Wright was the pastor there) wrote an open letter to his black brothers (pastors) about this matter which is powerful. I'm linking to it below.

My response to those who are against marriage equality is the same one to those who are anti-abortion. If you believe it is wrong and against God's will, don't do it. But, there are a lot of us who believe differently so your beliefs should not be enshrined in the laws governing all of us.

Here is a link that might be useful: It's Rights - Not Rites

o

Don't want gay marriage? Don't get one - problem solved.

It does make one wonder, however, what is it with some people's obsession with other people's (sex)life? And what makes them think they get to legislate it? Outlaw donuts for everyone just because they are on a diet?

Awesome letter thanks for posting it, Dockside!

o

I just don't get it either, Maddie. Why does anyone care? For a party who wants government out of their lives, they sure want to be in everyone's bedroom and OB's office.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here