· TGI Fridays, Marlboro
· TGI Fridays, North Brunswick
· TGI Fridays, Old Bridge
· TGI Fridays, Piscataway
· TGI Fridays, Springfield
· TGI Fridays, West Orange
· Villari's Lakeside, Gloucester Township
· Yesterday's Marmora

Restaurants raided for allegedly selling caramelized water or even rubbing alcohol!

What does scotch sell for in a bar these days?

"According to the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, the penalties for serving a drink other than the one ordered range from a five-day suspension for the first offense to a 15-day suspension for the third offense."

Here is a link that might be useful: Operation swill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Booze

I just heard about that a day or two ago... my husband heard it on the news we watch, which comes out of the east coast.

Rubbing alcohol? Colored water?

First of all, who are these people that can't tell the difference between water and booze?

I mean, bars have been watering down alcohol for ages, or using the cheapest, nastiest tasting brands for well drinks... but when you ask for a specific brand, and you pay for that brand, that's exactly the brand you should get!

I foresee a nationwide scramble to clean up bars as inspectors start inspecting...

I have no idea what a scotch goes for in a drinking establishment, but I know someone who drinks quite a bit of it, and the cheapest larger sized bottle one can buy around these parts is about $18-$24 per bottle. I can't even imagine how horrid that tastes!

o

Years ago in after hours bars in The Village the bartenders served people who were already well on their way to happy land watered down booze.

o

In much the same way that after the first few higher priced beers, the cheaper stuff will do if the party really gets going! ;-)

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sat, May 25, 13 at 12:40

In another lifetime I was a "barmaid", and not once did the owner "water down and/or alter" the liquor. Course it was also a time when you could get a beer for 50 cents and a mixed drink (double shot) for a buck fifty :)

o

selling caramelized water or even rubbing alcohol

Rhum y coca cola?

o

No need for any kind of regulation or consumer protections are there?

o

If anything, the US is sadly behind other nations in regulating and protecting its citizenry from harmful products within our food source and in other areas.

So many other nations have much stricter regulation when it comes to food additives, processes, medicines, and all manner of other things... with the singular thought to protect their citizens from the known dangers therein.

o

The subject of the OP is something. In Wisconsin, inspectors show up unannounced on a regular basis with their briefcases full of testing equipment. The colored water is kind of funny; the rubbing alcohol is not!

From the Betty Ford Clinic: "Question: I lived on the street for a time after I lost my job. Out there, if they can’t get anything else, some people drink rubbing alcohol. What is in rubbing alcohol that is so bad?

Answer: Rubbing alcohol is not ethyl alcohol (beverage alcohol), but isopropyl alcohol, a totally different chemical than the alcohol of beer, wine, or liquor. The lethal dose of isopropyl alcohol by mouth in adult humans is about 8 ounces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubbing Alcohol Ingestion Can Cause Death

o

No need for any kind of regulation or consumer protections

We'll let the market decide!

If an establishment has more than three calls for the paramedics per night, sooner or later customers will figure out that something's wrong and go elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here