Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dole doles it out on the GOP

Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
Mon, May 27, 13 at 10:02

Time for more politics....

"I think they ought to put a sign on the [Republican] national committee doors that says 'closed for repairs' until New Year's Day next year and spend that time going over ideas and positive agendas," Dole said.

Asked whether Republicans of years past, many of whom had a more diplomatic approach to compromise and governance than today's Republicans, would be able to make it in the modern GOP, Dole said, "I doubt it."

"Reagan wouldn't have made it. Certainly Nixon couldn't have made it, because he had ideas," he explained. "We might have made it, but I doubt it."

And much of the blame for the gridlock, Dole said, rests with a fractious Congress that seems more interested in partisan drama than doing its job.

"It seems to be almost unreal that we can't get together on a budget or legislation," Dole said, comparing today's Congress unfavorably with the institution in which he served for decades. "We weren't perfect by a long shot, but at least we got our work done."

Closed for Repair...or Going out of Business?
Party of Stupid as Bobby J said?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dole doles it out on the GOP

Lotta love old Bob for saying what others in the party think but are too scared to say.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Mon, May 27, 13 at 12:42

I'm not sure Bob Dole would even be considered a "good" Republican any more, by most of the GOP leaders. The only reason he is still in the party is because he's still alive. Once he's dead......all bets are off.

Of course, he is right. If the GOP doesn't get it's act together, and lets hope they don't, they will quickly become irrelevant, as most American voters move to the center of the political spectrum. The GOP will be the party of old white folks - and they/we are rapidly becoming a minority.

The question is - what will replace it. Maybe the GOP can off-load all the wingnuts into the Tea Party, and keep them securely ring-fenced.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

The GOP cannot stand "straight talk." Rush et al will spend a few minutes this week making Dole look an old has-been/

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, May 28, 13 at 9:19

"'closed for repairs' until New Year's Day "

7 months without the GOP? Is Dole saying "who needs em'"? The GOP has devolved into the Monkey Wrench Party.
By the end of that period the nation might wake up and realize we're better off without em'.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, May 28, 13 at 18:48

The honeymoon is definitely over here in Ohio (catch the comment section)

"Kasich, say some conservative activists, has joined the ranks of a GOP establishment that has given up on its principles and embraced a cowardly centrism.

(snip)

The anger toward Kasich is illustrative of a larger tension within the state Republican Party. There's long been speculation the Tea Party could split from the GOP and become its own entity, but Ohio activists are among the first to begin making serious steps toward that end.

(snip)

Groups like Americans For Prosperity and local tea party factions have hit Kasich repeatedly over the Medicaid expansion. In turn, he has made several impassioned appeals to support it, calling it the "humane" thing to do. That battle comes as other Ohio Republicans have found their own ways to draw Tea Party fire; Portman's support of gay marriage and Boehner's difficult relationship with some of the most conservative members of his caucus have many Tea Partiers convinced they're not playing for the same team."

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here