Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desperate Die

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 10:09

"Thousands of people flocked to the evangelical church for "holy water", which they believed had healing powers, leading to the crush. "All of us were caught by surprise. No-one knew the crowd will be so huge," said police spokesman Freeman Tetteh. The church is run by prominent Nigerian preacher TB Joshua. He is one of the wealthiest and most popular evangelical clerics in Africa and his Synagogue Church of All Nations claims it can perform miracles, such as curing blindness."
He supposedly has seen the outcome of soccer games (really) The Boston Bombing but this twerp did'nt see this!
Four died in the stampede. He advises AIDS patients to stop their medications after he umnnn heals them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desperate Die

He advises AIDS patients to stop their medications after he umnnn heals them!

Hey, they get the same message from the US Congress via the sequestration - which cut $280,000,000 from PEPFAR.

o

I'm beginning to think the real evil in our world wears robes of a religious nature...

o

I'm with you on that jodik.

What kind of people jam something like that? I mean, how gullible can you be? It doesn't seem like something you can learn from your parents. But, maybe it is since some parents insist on blindly following a religion.

Desperate. Good word, but it's something more.

o

Basic mob scene. People act similarly on Black Thursday at Doorbuster sales. Large crowd all wanting the "thing," whatever it is; lack of organization = mob scene.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wal-Mart Employee Trampled to Death

o

Hey, you're reading about a group of folks who are sometimes one or two generations away from the old animistic religions but there are plenty of supposedly educated and sophisticated people who believe in faith healers. Why would this be any different? Nigeria seems to have a good hold on just about every other scam that has ever come down the pike. From what I have been told(by real Nigerians)many know the claims are false but they join in anyway. It is the way of life, they will say. Who knows, he may really be able to do magic. Why take the chance of missing out?

I feel sorry for them but it seems to be a part of the culture that will be there for a long time. After running into a brick wall during too many conversations I was left wondering if there was some sort of break in the logic chain in their thinking process but apparently that is not the case. It just feels that way. There is still some confusion about the difference in technology and magic in some places.

I knew several Nigerians who complained that people they knew still think magic is real and they believe in luck and charms and on and on. (Everyone of them was wearing or carried some sort of good luck charm all the time.) Evangelists used to be called magic men or even that old colonial canard witch doctors. Some are still called witches in secret. It can be very dangerous when things go wrong.

o

labrea, a similar thing on a much smaller scale occurred in Guyana.
"Jim Jones held a well known faith healing service in the Sacred Heart Church in 1975." Read all about it HERE!
And we all know how that ended.
Ironically the 'motto' at Jonestown (now in Ghana?) was George Santana's line "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here