Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dressing for Success

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 10:37

So, thanks to low lifes, banks are enacting dress codes.

From Yahoo, today:

"While bank robberies don’t often make the news, due to a recent crime spree in the suburban city of Longwood, Florida, banks are imposing a dress code on customers, prohibiting them from wearing hats, hoods, and sunglasses while inside the bank, according to a story reported this week in the Orlando Sentinel."

Almost every video of robberies of businesses around here involve a hoodie or baseball caps. The ones that perplex me are the hoodies, but with the pants around the ankles, the waist at the knees, and boxer underwear. One perpetrator had broken into the front door of a business and the camera was directly on him--he was definitely slowed down by the pants around the knees and ankles, but hey you still have to be cool when you're stealing, eh?

So, do you remove your sunglasses when you go into a business ( I don't always) or a bank? Should hoodies be banned in businesses? Should people be profiled in this manner?

If I walk in wearing a hoodie and sunglasses, people are still pretty much going to know I'm not likely to rob a bank or a convenience store. I think it should be a case by case basis and particular items of clothing not banned, but I do feel it is the right of a business to do what they want.

I also feel they should be able not to serve people that don't wear shirts, or shoes.

It's a shame our society has come to that.

I will say I'd rather see pants around the knees that oversized T shirts and flip flops that seem to be the outfit of choice in this part of the country for many people ages 35-75, but that's just a personal preference and doesn't have anything to do with dress codes to prevent crime. And yes, I know some people don't have much money for clothes. You can get clothes for free at churches that aren't T shirts or flip flops.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dressing for Success

"...prohibiting them from wearing hats, hoods, and sunglasses while inside the bank..."

It's been that way here for some time. I don't find it unreasonable. In fact, I was brought up to know it is rude to wear sunglasses while having a face-to-face conversation, unless there is a logical reason, like it's very bright out. Indoors? Unless one just came from the eye doctor, what's the point?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 10:51

Demi I am confused by your stereotyping of "thieves/robbers", many people who rob banks do not fit this dress code at all. Over the weekend a man (caught on videotape) broke into a beverage store and stole cigarettes and cheap liquor ... he was white and middle aged and his pants were not down around his ankles.

OTOH many young people who dress this way (which I also do not care for) do not rob banks/businesses.

So being a bad guy is hardly part of a "dress code".

For many years my bank has had a sign saying "remove sunglasses", I usually forget but the employees know me.

o

I don't think it's demi doing the stereotyping om. It's businesses doing profiling. And it's one of those times that's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Businesses want to, and should keep their employees safe, on the other hand your choice of clothing should be yours. No shirt, no shoes would probably be the safer alternative, yet those have been banned for years. I also agree that businesses should have the right to set their own dress codes. hmmm that was clear as muddy water.

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 11:01

Well this woman is a "dress for success" story ...

Bank Robber In Green Dress Stylishly Robs Iowa Bank

The First State Bank was robbed Monday by a robber, who is described as a 5’4” female with dark red or brown hair that may be a wig.

However, the robber's most distinguishing feature may be a stylish green dress which the fashionistas at the Herald Sun described as a "mullet dress" since it's short at the front and long at the back.

Edited to add: MrsK Demi said (and I quote) thanks to low lifes, banks are enacting dress codes.

How someone dresses, whether we approve or not, does not make them a low life.

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

This post was edited by ohiomom on Wed, May 29, 13 at 11:08

o

Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 10:51

Demi I am confused by your stereotyping of "thieves/robbers",

Mrskjun is right.
I'm not stereotyping anyone.

The fact that I said that I wear hoodies and sunglasses proves that. The only time I wear my pants around my ankles is when I put on my old stretched out jeans and work in the garden and they sometimes fall down, but that's not a fashion statement.

So no stereotyping and no need to stereotype.

The facts are the facts.

Certainly Bernie Madoff types steal wearing expensive suits.

However, we're talking about bank robberies and other robberies, and the cold hard truth is a large number of the people that commit these crimes wear hoodies, baseball caps and sunglasses. Locally, many also have pants around their ankles--that's not my opinion--that's in black and white on VIDEO.

I did say "Almost every video of robberies of businesses around here involve a hoodie or baseball caps. The ones that perplex me are the hoodies, but with the pants around the ankles, the waist at the knees, and boxer underwear. One perpetrator had broken into the front door of a business and the camera was directly on him--he was definitely slowed down by the pants around the knees and ankles..."

That is absolutely true.
Cameras often record the perpetrators of these crimes, but you can't see their faces because of caps or hoodies. Many have pants down to their knees.

I didn't stereotype anyone--that's a FACT.

Just so you'll know, people of all races wear hoodies, baseball caps and pants around their knees.

Apparently it's a popular dress for success of robbing stores, too.

I wonder if anyone has been afraid that I will rob them because I was wearing wool slacks and a silk blouse?

o

I'm not really into the outer "look" of a person... but it is traditional for some professionals to reflect their job positions... i.e. doctors wear white jackets or blue scrubs, hotel personnel wear uniforms, etc...

I don't think one can stereotype thieves or robbers as recognizing them by their dress mode.

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 11:18

I imagine the bank did not think the well-dressed fashionista was going to rob them ... and if they are profiling by clothing I do not believe that it will end crime.

Yes many robbers wear hats and sunglasses for a disguise.

And if I misunderstood your OP I apologize.

o

Are folks still wearing saggy pants down there it reached it's high point a few years back. Haven't seen it in awhile! Skin tight is where it's been at for the last year or so! How about that $45,Million ATM robbery & the $6 Billion international money laundering?.
Nickles & dimes nickles & dimes!

We have a lot of old gents around here wearing saggy double knits!

o

They're still wearing saggers and exposed boxers in many regions - even to apply for jobs and at job interviews.

Saggers probably peaked in 2010 in many regions.

Like mentioned clothing that's too tight and/or too short is all the rage these days, especially among obese females.

I can' wait for the low rise jean, short shirt, muffin-top, exposed thong/butt-crack trend to fade out.

In the poor regions many wear sweat pants, or pajama bottoms everywhere they go.

o

Used to be only plumbers!
The general overall flavor is the same since the year one. They aren't like me & I'm a paragon of () ?

o

Edited to add: MrsK Demi said (and I quote) thanks to low lifes, banks are enacting dress codes.

How someone dresses, whether we approve or not, does not make them a low life.

The low life comment referred to robbers, not the way they are dressed.

Every person that wears their pants at their ankles is most certainly not a low life, but I think they should not expose their boxer shorts in public--it's disrespectful, like women exposing their panties or not wearing them at all and giving shots--like Britney Spears, Anne Hathaway, Lindsay Lohan and others that just love that type of attention garnered from flashing your private parts to the world knowing you are going to be photographed getting out of a vehicle.

Saggy pants are definitely still in here, but then this area is generally behind the times when it comes to fashion and other things--particularly with some crowds.

A few years back, when my daughters were in college (different states, not this state) many of the girls went to class in brightly colored pajama bottoms, T shirts, flip flips and their hair shoved in a clip on the back of their head.

I couldn't believe it. You even saw it around town, here.

There is much less of that now and I think the present younger generation is doing an overall better job at dressing. It may have to do with more competition for jobs, I don't know that but it seems reasonable.

I do know that some stores have signs they won't serve people with certain dress, or lack of dress.

It will be interesting to see if other banks and businesses institute the dress code before you are allowed to enter.

I guess there's always the drive thru.

o

Wed, May 29, 13 at 12:53

The baggy look is pretty much gone here, thank goodness ... my parents hated the way we dressed, it is generational :)

o

Ohiomom--just saw your post.

Thanks.

o

Since no link was provided I am left wonder where the bit about pants around your knees came from since the quote was ..

" banks are imposing a dress code on customers, prohibiting them from wearing hats, hoods, and sunglasses while inside the bank, according to a story reported this week in the Orlando Sentinel."

the point being they want your picture for identification on their cameras to be nice and clear. Why would they care about where you wear your pants?

I saw a kid just the other day wearing his pants down around his thighs and I wondered what kept them there but then again I wonder what keeps the pope's beanie on.

o

the point being they want your picture for identification on their cameras to be nice and clear. Why would they care about where you wear your pants?

I don't know that they do.

My point was that recent local videos of people breaking into business showed people attempting to climb through the front doors of a business that they had smashed, and were having difficulty because they couldn't pick up their legs right because the crotch of their pants was so low.

I guess someone that is breaking into a business with security cameras pointing at them isn't bright enough to realize that low pants could slow them down and make the difference in getting away with robbery or going to jail. Oh well there's the weight room and three squares and all the sex you want.

o

I have the same question as patriciae. The "dress code" is to avoid covering one's face so cameras get a picture that can identify you. Baggy pants, hoodies (as long as hood is not up), too tight clothing, or really ugly clothing are not covering one's face and therefore probably not part of the imposed dress code.

I find lots of high end clothing really ugly, but wouldn't tell anyone not to wear it. I find sweats/yoga pants very comfortable and that and a hoodie are my preferred dress when not at work. And there's nothing better than flip flops. I actually have an addiction to cute flip flops. Just bought 2 pairs this past weekend. Just can't resist.

What's wrong with college kids wearing those flannel PJ pants and sweatshirts to class? If you're comfortable you're more likely to pay attention and learn. I always found it strange in college that some girls actually got all dressed up with full makeup to go to class.

o

My bank doesn't have that sign but many have around here for years, I'd say 10 at least.

We have a LOT of bank robbers in SD, lol! The "Geezer Bandit" wore a suit! And a ball cap. :)

I forget to take mine off all the time, but I think if a security guard is paying attention they can tell by body language in most cases how a person is going to act. Simply saying "hello" to everyone who walks in the door is an excellent deterrent for theft.

No "hoodlums" around here wear baggy either. TIGHT is super in right now.

I can understand the request and don't think it's profiling per se as they are just asking for people to expose their face, not telling them they can't wear baggy pants ;)

Although, as a segue, I think the whole outrage over what other people are wearing is fairly absurd. Ever read Poisonwood Bible? The kids in Africa just run around like they can't tell their only pair of shorts exposes their butt.

I think it's interesting what people wear (those who will wear elitist brands simply for "bling" or status, knowing full well they are being made by children overseas) or those who choose to show their who-has when exiting vehicles for publicity, or those who think their underwear is a fashion accessory, or those with tattoos on their face, or big old fake boobies or chin implants... or... or... or...

Personally I am really rarely offended by what people are wearing. Just goes right on by me.

I was in SF a few weeks ago and absolutely loved looking at what people were wearing. Purple hair, no hair, pierced tongues, capes, burkas, saris, daisy dukes, push up bras... it was great.

I don't really want to see someones butt crack, but I can always look away. Personal choice if I'm offended, IMO.

o

How can anyone be offended by someone else's "personal statement" - especially when that personal statement is replicated through a large segment of the population?

My Father thought the clothing of the 60/70's was the end of civilization as we knew it.

If there was a take your hat off in banks ordinance here - we'd all be transacting our inside the lobby banking business with "hat hair" between November and late April.

One place you can't argue - try getting your driver's license photo taken wearing sun glasses and/or a hat.

o

My bank doesn't have that sign

Nor does mine. There's both the security guard and the video; we can enter wearing whatever. Edited to add: There are signs against using skateboards on bank property.

I have had the experience of fraud by a bank employee, but banks don't like to admit that this happens.

Personally I am really rarely offended by what people are wearing. Just goes right on by me.

Same for me. If I were easily offended, I wouldn't be living where I am.

btw I thought the fad of pajama bottoms, etc. was cute.

This post was edited by nancy_in_venice_ca on Wed, May 29, 13 at 14:59

o

I mean if your going to rob a bank I think Ermangildo Zegna is the way to go!

o

For those that are interested here is the article that Demi gleaned her info from. Seems it was just imposed there due to a rash of bank robberies. This and is just the latest of a local initiative started back in 2008.

Banks Enforce Customer Dress Code

Want to see a bank robbery?

Just click on the Facebook page of the Seminole County Sheriff’s office in Orlando, Florida where a photo of a holdup (above) was recently posted by the department. In the photo, the thief is wearing sunglasses and a baseball hat, both of which obscure his face from the bank’s security camera.

While bank robberies don’t often make the news, due to a recent crime spree in the suburban city of Longwood, Florida, banks are imposing a dress code on customers, prohibiting them from wearing hats, hoods, and sunglasses while inside the bank, according to a story reported this week in the Orlando Sentinel.

Although national bank robbery rates are down, according to data supplied to Yahoo! Shine from the National Bankers Association��"in 2011, there were 5,086 incidents compared to 5,546 in 2010, and 6,065 in 2009��"Longwood, has seen a recent local spike. “We’ve had four robberies over the past three months��"that’s a lot for Longwood,” Officer Kevin Tuck told Yahoo! Shine. “Our program was a direct response to that.” The program entails distributing stickers, which bear a print of the police badge and read, “Please remove hat, hood, and sunglasses before entering,” to each of the 16 banks in Longwood and according to Tuck who instigated the program, eight banks currently use them. “It’s up to each bank to decide whether to use the stickers or enforce the clothing restrictions,” said Tuck. “This doesn’t apply to the career bank robber who will inevitably find a way around it. It’s for the new guy nobody has seen before, who hands a note to the teller.”

The sticker program is a newer version of a 2008 initiative called “No hats, no sunglasses, no hoods” launched by the Florida Bankers Association, which included hanging posters in bank windows that outlined the clothing ban and distributing pamphlets to associates on how to handle customers that don’t comply. “We work with the Florida Highway Patrol and the FBI and encourage banks to hang the posters up but we don’t enforce it,” an FBA representative told Yahoo! Shine. “We don’t prevent anyone from coming into the bank wearing these items but if they’re asked to remove them and refuse, they’re monitored by nearby security guards and video cameras. If someone cannot remove the items due to religious or medical reasons, we direct them to a more experienced teller who will assist them or have them use a teller window located closer to the security cameras. And of course customers have the option to use online banking or the bank’s drive-through option, which doesn’t require a dress code. ”

According to John Hall, Senior Vice President of the National Bankers Association, similar policies have been instituted over the past 15 years in order to deter robbers. “It usually gets implemented when there’s a string of robberies in any given area,” he told Yahoo! Shine. “Banks typically do a very thorough job of training employees to prevent robberies and work with police to solve the crimes. But it’s a protective measure dictated by each bank, not branch, to make thieves think twice. Other common strategies: Using "bait money," special cash with a tracking device that a teller hands a robber or monies that contain red dye which explodes after a certain period time, rendering the money useless and identifiable as stolen.”

So far, the public’s reaction has been mixed. Donald Willis, a customer of local Longwood banks Fairwinds and Fidelity National told the Orlando Sentinel, "I have no problem with the policy at all. I was at Fairwinds recently when a gentleman walked in wearing a baseball cap. They were very polite about it, asked him to take it off, and he did. It was no big deal."

"I think banks just have to do whatever they have to do nowadays for security."

Others are getting adjusted to the scrutiny. According to a recent report published by CFNews13, a local news station in Orlando, customer Robert Mennilo walked into a bank carrying a flashlight and received the 5th degree. He said, “What’s it to remove your sunglasses? You can’t see. You don’t need them inside anyway. So, I can see maybe the hat,” then added, “Now that you’re telling me about this policy, I’m putting two and two together, I think she was casing me."

And like any policy, there are still kinks to work out. Last month, a man not wearing a hat or sunglasses parked his bike outside Fidelity National’s Longwood branch, which reportedly has a sticker program, calmly robbed the teller, then escaped on his bike. Only time will tell.

Here is a link that might be useful: the entire article

o

Demi said: If I walk in wearing a hoodie and sunglasses, people are still pretty much going to know I'm not likely to rob a bank or a convenience store.

Why is that, demi? What makes you so different?

o

I think it's statistics Jerzee.... same reason they probably wouldn't look at you or I twice either.

Before 9-11 I was out of the country and talking with a friend of a friend (he was an American, but of Mexican descent and looked "ethnic") and he told me I had no idea what it was like for him, always being detained while his white friends walked on through. He was a photographer of surfers, paid the plane tickets and hotel rooms, etc.... and was a well-off young business man. But he fit the stereotype and sure enough, when we went to travel I watched as no one looked at me while he was carefully scrutinized, pulled aside, etc.

Plus, people give off vibes in general. And women don't *usually* rob banks :)

o

I'll walk the walking trail in a hoodie, but entering any business I automatically toss back the hood. To me, it is common courtesy to let people and cameras see your face. I wouldn't do business with anyone who obscured their eyes. When it is time to bring in my rolled change for deposit, I always step into the bank and ask if they have the time and tell them I'll be bringing in a grocery bag of rolled change. My bank has 2-3 tellers, no security guards, and no sign like we were discussing.
The pants issue is immaterial to me, but facial recognition is important. That is not profiling.

o

The pants turned out to just be filler and not germain. No one is being ask to pull up their pants. Not only that, they are not being told they cant wear hoodies-just not with the the hood up. It has turned out essentially to not be an issue of dress but of acessories.

o

In cool weather I always wear a hoodie and year round when it's sunny, a ball cap. I don't like sunglasses. I don't go to the bank that often and don't know if there's sign or not.

My granddaughter's boyfriend wears his pants low. I think it look beyond stupid to see his Calvin Klein shorts sticking out of his jeans or shorts. But he's not a hoodlum. He just finished his Masters degree from Pitt and is a computer genius. But still...And GD is always a clean cut all American fashion plate.

o

Because it's ME

o

I think it's statistics Jerzee.... same reason they probably wouldn't look at you or I twice either.

Well, it's actually profiling. But it doesn't mean women don't rob banks.

And all bets are off when it comes to department stores. 1 in 11 people shoplift; men and women shoplift equally and 75% are adults.

o

Posted by jerzeegirl 9 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 15:20

Demi said: If I walk in wearing a hoodie and sunglasses, people are still pretty much going to know I'm not likely to rob a bank or a convenience store.

Why is that, demi? What makes you so different?

I'm not so different from other people that also don't look like they need to rob a bank.

I wear a cashmere hoodie and Maui Jim sunglasses.

:)

o

I just can't help it... I've been secretly lol'ing since this thread popped up... for a variety of reasons.

I do agree with what Patriciae and David are saying. It's actually just common courtesy that makes me drop the hood or shades when doing business... the same with taking off a hat when one is inside. It's common courtesy... plus, I want to do business eye to eye.

Jill, I love dressing comfy, and at the same time, feeling that I look presentable for the scope of our small town. Yoga pants and hoodies, or other tops... preferably a bit hippie-like or youthful. And I too, have a few pairs of flip flops... a small store I like had a sale, and I couldn't resist... two for the price of one, and one pair was only like $6.99... end of season sale, or something... added to the several other pairs I have. I don't really need that many, but they're cheap, fun, and they don't last that long, anyway. :-)

I would think that with the economy as it is, and the great influx of security and cameras and the "man" wartching everything... it would be bank policy sooner or later to present a clear facial photo... in case it were ever needed... for facial recognition or something.

Silver, I too, like to people watch... and I'm never offended by the way others dress or look. I actually think a lot of us humans are really unique and not afraid to show it... and to me, that says confidence and comfort within one's own skin.

o

I wear a cashmere hoodie and Maui Jim sunglasses.

Very chic!

o

Oh Please!

o

Lordy, I feel so inadequate in my Champion sweatshirt, levis, and Minnetonka genuine moose hide shoes. Underwear is usually Haines Her Way, but that doesn't show. Oh, the sunglasses are from a Mall of America kiosk because they do what they're supposed to do and the price was... let's say staggeringly less than what some might want to make an attempt at impressing others with.

o

Duluth, I wouldn't worry about it since so far no one has mentioned they wear anything that the Fifth Avenue ladies that lunch or Andre Leon Talley/ Anna Wintour from Vogue magazine, the true arbiters of fashion and style, would consider chic. Au contraire. :)

o

What, me worry? I'm in perfect harmony with what my environment dictates when carrying out mundane activities. I'm crushed that a cashmere hoodie and Maui Jim eyewear wouldn't catch the bemused (or would that be befuddled or bewildered) attention of Anna Wintour. :-)

o

LOL. Sorry, didn't mean to crush your fashion sensibilities. I dare say few, if any, of us would pass their rigid standards with our every day attire. Cie la vie. :)

o

Lordy, I feel so inadequate

Come down to one of our banks in Venice; you'll be fine (if you change the moose shoes to flip flops or PETA-approved running shoes.) Skateboard or yoga mat tucked under your arm is optional, as is fair-trade hand-made African or Central American textile bag. A pendant necklace with a little something in sanskrit completes the ensemble.

o

I really have to smile - especially being light hearted about the whole thing. It reminds me of an old thread on the "Entertaining" forum... which irks me no end I didn't bookmark before it dropped off beyond retrieving.

Subject was akin to how do you entertain. In all seriousness, a poster described in long agonizing detail the carpet vacuumed so any nap was facing in the same direction - no footprints, furniture waxed to a reflective sheen, crisply starched linens, dazzling highly polished silver, delicate sparkling crystal for fine wines, tinkling ice in matching sparkling water goblets, beeswax candles ordered from a convent in Prague, place cards with exquisite calligraphy....

I could imagine the guests removing their shoes on the front porch; walking in being careful not to brush against the walls, trying hard not to leave a butt dent in the down sofa cushions, saying no to hors d'oeuvres lest there be crumbs.

But this is neither here nor there.

o

Posted by duluthinbloomz4 zone 4a (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 23:39

Lordy, I feel so inadequate in my Champion sweatshirt, levis, and Minnetonka genuine moose hide shoes. Underwear is usually Haines Her Way, but that doesn't show. Oh, the sunglasses are from a Mall of America kiosk because they do what they're supposed to do and the price was... let's say staggeringly less than what some might want to make an attempt at impressing others with.

--

Subject was akin to how do you entertain. In all seriousness, a poster described in long agonizing detail the carpet vacuumed so any nap was facing in the same direction - no footprints, furniture waxed to a reflective sheen, crisply starched linens, dazzling highly polished silver, delicate sparkling crystal for fine wines, tinkling ice in matching sparkling water goblets, beeswax candles ordered from a convent in Prague, place cards with exquisite calligraphy....

I could imagine the guests removing their shoes on the front porch; walking in being careful not to brush against the walls, trying hard not to leave a butt dent in the down sofa cushions, saying no to hors d'oeuvres lest there be crumbs.

But this is neither here nor there.

Oh good grief Duluth can't you laugh and see that I answered Jerzeegirl's question with a little humor?

Heck, even Jerzeegirl apparently recognized that by her response.

Not that it isn't true. ;)

Don't worry I'm sure you don't look like a bank robber in your Champion hoodie and kiosk sunglasses.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Thu, May 30, 13 at 8:22

o

I do believe at one point, we discussed what success means to us... and it was found to mean a variety of things, not all of them monetary or materialistic in nature.

To me, entertaining means providing a campfire, some seating, a place to pitch tents, maybe a table or some coolers of ice bearing different beverages... a little food to throw on a suspended grill, etc... and it's twice as nice if one can provide a percolator that can sit on the same grill and some fresh water and coffee for morning. Plenty of napkins are also a good thing.

We're casual... relaxed... open to anything fun, or even a little crazy sometimes... unassuming... and tons of fun as a family and friends. That's just how we roll.

What you chose to wear when you show up is irrelevant.

o

Mirror mirror on the wall will they ever understand the real me

o

Good Lord it never stops!

Any excuse to paint me as Vapidly Materialistic while everyone else is of course Virtuous Mother Earth!

"Ain't you tired Miss Hilly, ain't you tired?"

Well, before I go out to the garden and plant my watermelons and canteloupe I will ask Jeeves to bring out my Ralph Lauren Gardening Outfit from the summer closet and pour some Perrier in a silver flask lest I become thirsty while toiling the soil.

Have a great day everyone, no matter how you're dressed!

o

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 8:52

Mirror mirror on the wall will they ever understand the real me

How cute!

Maybe you should set that to music, I'd come to NYC to see it.

o

Thu, May 30, 13 at 8:59

Jodi my daughter stopped by last night and was telling me about a friend of hers on Facebook that likes to "show off" her latest purchases .... "look what I have".

I told her that she actually should feel sorry for her friend, because she defines herself by how many "toys" she owns. It is really sad that so many define themselves by how big their house is, how many clothes they own, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with what someone has, but that is how they determine their self worth.

I wear a "standard" uniform, whether going to the store and/or going to church. You will find me in jeans/tops/sweater/sweatshirts and depending on the weather work boots/sandals.

Around the house I dress like a bum ... hey tis comfortable :)

Yep thats my story and I am sticking to it ..

o

Well now do I have to order all of you cashmere hoodies to get you to lay off?

;)

o

and I thought you had toddled off with jeeves in tow.

as I sit here with my toe poking through the hole in my sock , brushing dog hair from my jumper I like to reflect on the fact that if I chose to sashay though life in a cashmere hoody I would refrain from mentioning it to a bunch of strangers on the internet...because I would think that was tacky.

o

Thu, May 30, 13 at 9:22

Demi I think what I was trying to point out, maybe unsuccessfully, is that "some" people define their self worth by what they have ... it was not directed towards you or anyone else on this forum.

I have no complaints, and dress in the way that pleases me :)

I do have dress clothes, but I refer to them as my "funeral" clothes since that is the only time I wear them.

I admit to being rather an odd bird LOL

o

Posted by youngquinn VIC Aust (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 9:19

"and I thought you had toddled off with jeeves in tow."

People that wear cashmere don't toddle.

Jeeves is waiting for the lightening and rain to let up.

"as I sit here with my toe poking through the hole in my sock , brushing dog hair from my jumper I like to reflect on the fact that if I chose to sashay though life in a cashmere hoody I would refrain from mentioning it to a bunch of strangers on the internet...because I would think that was tacky."

What's tacky is pursuing me over a humorous response to Jerzeegirl's query as to how I would be different from other people wearing hoodies and sunglasses to the point that I would not be considered a likely bank robber.

If I had holes in my socks and dog hair on my clothes, "I would refrain from mentioning it to a bunch of strangers on the internet...because I would think that was tacky."

"Ain't you tired, Miss Hilly, ain't you tired?"

o

I, too, feel a sort of pity for those who define themselves by what they have, Ohiomom... instead of by who they are as people, inside.

My standard mode of dress are work clothes and milk house boots... I get mighty dirty and wet in my job description... imagine having several sets of poopy paws jumping all over you everyday while trying to clean their kennels... or having to help wrangle a goat to worm it... or the variety of other things that happen on a small farm. It's not always pretty or rose scented.

Yesterday, I donned a short sleeved hippie shirt, shorts and sneakers... tied a bandana around my forehead to catch sweat... and commenced cutting grass.

I hate standing on ceremony in heels, trussed up in fancy garb like a Thanksgiving turkey. It's not me. It's not that bad every once in a while... but it's not me and it's not that comfortable.

I totally hear ya, Ohiomom... I'm most comfy when I can kick back in something loose and comfortable.

Ooh, and I love those Hane's for women without that waistband... very comfy!

o

dont try to deflect.

maybe if you are being humourous you might consider "flagging" the post?

nothing tacky about doggy jumpers etc they are just a fact of life .
to me "tacky" is about bignoting yourself, but of course that is just my opinion.

o

Thu, May 30, 13 at 9:43

YQ lighten up ... You threw "tacky" and it was thrown back at you. Do not complain.

My daddy used to say "if you can't take it, don't dish it out".

Good words to live by ...

o

Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
Thu, May 30, 13 at 9:43

YQ lighten up ... You threw "tacky" and it was thrown back at you. Do not complain.

My daddy used to say "if you can't take it, don't dish it out".

Good words to live by ...

Thanks, Ohiomom. ;)

I appreciate your comments.

Signed,

Demi who wears boots, sneakers, jeans, old sweatshirts and yoga pants, but likes to dress up, too--funeral clothes, church clothes, lunch clothes, hats and occasionally, ball gowns.

But not to rob banks in.

o

Love the "Oh good grief Duluth" comment when a bit of sarcasm just swooshed on by.

I wasn't being sarcastic, though, when I asked if some didn't see the value in being able to spot the salient point(s) in another's post - as opposed to cutting and pasting a whole post over and over and over.

o

I wasn't being sarcastic, though, when I asked if some didn't see the value in being able to spot the salient point(s) in another's post - as opposed to cutting and pasting a whole post over and over and over.

There's a reason for that.

As you say, Swoosh!

o

lol demi...your last post brought back memories. I can remember my mom and all of my aunts, grandma's etc. would have a funeral dress and funeral hat. They all wore the same dress and hat to every funeral they went to. Does anyone still have a funeral dress?

o

I love cloths all cloths I am a cloths hog. That is my confession. I do not have a style I have "how do I feel today" style. I can want to look like a hoodlum today and a business woman tomorrow. When I dress how I feel today I am comfortable.

I love to put on a gown, I love to put on my shorts and sandals, jeans and tennis shoes. It has never mattered to me I am comfortable in my skin. What I put on top of that skin is just dressing.

Back to the topic. I can see why a bank would want a dress code but I do not think they have a right though. They use my money and give back very little for that use. Without customers they would not have a bank. I would suggest they hire more security guards if they are afraid of being robbed. Their rules would make me uncomfortable because I have to wear what they want me to wear that might not fit my style that day.

o

Good points, Marquest.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, May 30, 13 at 10:46

Well, I take my sunglasses off, but I always leave my hoodie on and my hood up on my head, especially when I go into banks.

Seriously, I haven't been into a bank in, probably, 10 years, if that recently. I do everything online now. And so do a lot of bank robbers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

I can see why a bank would want a dress code but I do not think they have a right though. They use my money and give back very little for that use. Without customers they would not have a bank. I would suggest they hire more security guards if they are afraid of being robbed. Their rules would make me uncomfortable because I have to wear what they want me to wear that might not fit my style that day.

As far as I can tell, the bank does not have a dress code. They are not trying to tell you what you can and cannot wear. They are just saying your face has to be uncovered. They can have all the security guards you want, but if someone comes into the bank and shoots everyone, it would be nice to have that person's face on camera. Not a person whose face is covered by a hoodie and sun glasses.

demi - please put me on the list for a cashmere hoodie. I hope the list is not too long and mine will arrive soon ;-)

o

Mrs. K, I have a funeral dress. I actually just retired my old one (standard black, square neck, just over the knee) for a red-flowered black in similar style. Makes it really easy as I just don't have a lot of "funeral appropriate" clothes.

It's funny, this conversation, because I was just observing how some people love to adorn themselves and others just... don't. I didn't even know hoodies came in cashmere but it sounds lovely.

And I don't think it's profiling to say that women don't usually rob banks. Shoplifting is an entirely different matter, and many well-dressed women do so.

2478 men bank robbers compared to 220 female in 2011, as reported by the FBI, but in Ohio increased from 7% female to 18% female between 2009 and 2010. So maybe they will start looking at us (and especially Ohiomom) all more carefully!

I wore capris to the bank yesterday. Nobody robs a bank in capris. ;)

LOL Nancy. I was just remarking the other day on the "uniform" of San Diego. Nearly EVERYONE looks the same here. It just depends on which neighborhood a person resides/emulates. Same car, same jeans, same same same. Especially the "individuals" with their "non-conformity" that looks just like that other dude in his vintage absurdity.

Makes me appreciate SF and other "big cities" all the more where people are wearing their own clothes.

(now you say, I know, riiiigggghhhhttttt?????)

o
totally off topic

Warning: totally off topic:
Duluth, you 'fine dining' story re: carpets vacumed with the lines and nap aligned reminded me of another 'careful vacuuming' story:
A woman at a group camper camping trip we took told us that she had five teenagers, very close in age. Both parents work full time and in the summer the kids were on their own during the hours that the kids didnt have to work, everyone had differing work schedules.

The house had a kids HUGE 'get together room' that the kids used for television movies, gaming etc which they could bring friends to and eat in, equipped with a small stocked fridge and microwave.

She had the upstairs living room and dining room of her dreams with beautiful rosewood furniture. The kids were not allowed in that room except when invited for a special occasion when a formal dinner or celebration was happening - she had worked for years carefully acquiring each piece and she wanted something nice to have and enjoy that would still exist when her rough teen kids were grown and gone. Now, she knew they used that room when she was at work as they had scratched a couple of pieces and it just drove her nuts. None of the kids would own up to it.

She took to vacuuming the carpet carefully, with the nap just right.

And then she pounced on the guilty culprit. His footprint size gave him away!

Since, all the kids had chores and having to vacuum was already considered a fate worse than death (especially such precise vacuuming)- and since they would have to vacuum the room to destroy the evidence if they snuck in it - her beautiful living room did indeed survive all five of her kids after all.

o

People that wear cashmere don't toddle.

They do in Santa Monica. I think it's great that women of a certain age are still out and about under their own steam (even if assisted by a cane or walker).

o

Come to NYC if you want to see diversity in clothing. Between the locals and the tourists we have just about everything. The Chanel suits are sitting right next to the belly shirts and muffin tops and birkies sitting along with Louboutins and sacks next to the Birkin bags. Depending on the neighborhood you have your "standard wear" but basically everywhere is a hodgepodge of styles.

I think almost everyone has different clothes for different purposes. I wear my business clothes to work (unless it is something casual), my jeans and heels or nice flats for casual outings, my dress clothes for when appropriate and my yoga pants to run my errands, walk around or just relax.

Jill, they have cashmere hoodies at many of the street vendors in Soho. You can get them for a song along with the scarves, handbags, Russian eggs, waterguns,.... You can basically get anything...except Jeeves. For him you will have to go up to Mad and Fifth Avenue but it's NYC so who knows? Bet you can find an out of work actor to play him for a song too, at least when he isn't waiting tables or bartending. :)

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Thu, May 30, 13 at 14:39

o

Jill telling me I cannot wear sunglasses and a hoodie is telling me what I cannot wear.

If it is in the teens and windchill of 20 below 0 and snowing. When I get out of the car and walk into the bank......My photo lens glasses are still dark and the hood is on my head.

What am I suppose to do? Take off my glasses and walk into someone as I take my hood off my head?

We had a neighborhood that protested that there was no bank in their area. They put a branch there and had 4 guards off duty police officers. In 5 years there has never been a robbery. The last bank that was there was robbed several times a year with their one little under paid rent a cop security guard.

o

LOL demi, I hope you wear your Jimmy Choos with your cashmere hoodie. I think it's much funnier the lengths some will go to in order to pretend like they didn't get the joke, than the joke itself!

o

Well, it all depends if one is laughing at or with another . :)

o

demi - please put me on the list for a cashmere hoodie. I hope the list is not too long and mine will arrive soon ;-)

Okay, next time I come across one you're on the list, jill!

I accidentally washed AND DRIED my black one and had to give it to my younger daughter--it's one of her favorite articles of clothing. I still have the caramel colored one and wear it all the time.

Nancy, I'm not surprised by anything that happens in California!~

Around here older women do not generally favor acquiescing to old age, so toddling is avoided in favor of a careful but proud gait--cashmere or not.

o

so toddling is avoided in favor of a careful but proud gait--cashmere or not.

Proud gait in their late 80s and early 90s? Here one high-spirited designer dog on the promenade could land them on their keisters, not to mention what a skateboarder with ADD could do.

o

Labrea: "Nickles & dimes nickles & dimes! "

and guns. Let's not forget the guns.

I do think wearing sunglasses inside is rude. But then, some people have prescription glasses that darken outside but take a little while to lighten up inside.

Too-big pants with undies showing are the silliest looking thing around these days. Ever see them walk? They have to walk with their feet wide apart. Makes me laugh everytime. (At them, not with them. Sorry, can't help it.)

o

Yea, we don't have many skateboarders where the old ladies lunch and shop, and what few "designer dogs" I see are usually in little tote bags with their miniature yorkie faces sticking out!

At a funeral a few years back I saw a most elegant woman standing, talking to my inlaws. She was impeccably dressed in very high heels, a pale pink/beige suit, and was very tall and statuesque.

I was shocked when she turned around--she appeared to be in her early 70s, very pretty and she was dressed better than anyone there, including me. I found out later from my mother in law that she was 92--she held onto her younger husband's arm but did it in a way where one would not think she necessarily NEEDED to.

She died a few months later, but I hear she wore those high heels to church the last Sunday before she died.

Old habits die hard.

o

Good for her Demi!
My mother never ever wore slacks. Ever. In her entire life.
She dressed to the nines when she flew, even at the end when she had wasted nearly away and was flying back and forth monthly to the huge Air Force Hospital in San Antonio. She dressed to the nines even for her doctors visits. She grew up in that time and it was important to her, Im glad she didnt cave to the casualness of the time, this was a part of her dignity that she held onto to the very end. It was important to her and she held on to it.

My own days of to the sky high heels are now over, spaghetti straps were retired a couple of years ago but I do still wear reasonably high heels and will for as long as I can without doing breaking my face because I love them.

People dont entertain formally anymore but I continue to in very small groupings and the only thing formal about the evening is the table setting. If they arrive in jeans thats fine by me! I love to set a pretty table with my things we collected and family things that go back generations - there is no point (only IMO) to having them if they sit behind glass or in a cabinet, I use it all with just the two of us all the time, too.

But nobody has to introduce me to paper plates or solo cups either, thank goodness they exist for back yard barbecues and when we take our camper into the wilderness - the last thing Im interested in then is washing dishes ;)

Whatever floats boats is ok by me.

o

Jill, they have cashmere hoodies at many of the street vendors in Soho. You can get them for a song

I never get down to Soho or even the village anymore. It's midtown for work, and uptown for visiting the inlaws. I should make more of an effort to get down there. Miss when my office was in the west village.

Speaking of street vendors...I was just thinking about that the other day...guys on the street in front of my office selling purses. Along with my flip flop obsession, I have a pocketbook obsession too. The flip flop obsession is much easier on the budget! Anyway, I saw through the crowds a couple of bags I'd thought about getting in the past. I wondered...where these real (didn't want to fight the crowd to get close enough to check)? Probably not, but if they were, were they stolen? I don't usually buy from the street sellers because I don't want to support stealing merchandise and reselling, which I think is what they often do.

Jill telling me I cannot wear sunglasses and a hoodie is telling me what I cannot wear.
If it is in the teens and windchill of 20 below 0 and snowing. When I get out of the car and walk into the bank......My photo lens glasses are still dark and the hood is on my head.

What am I suppose to do? Take off my glasses and walk into someone as I take my hood off my head?

I don't know what the right answer is for those prescription glasses that get darker/lighter since they take a while to adjust. But, taking the hoodie off your head is not an unreasonable request.

I rarely go to the bank anymore because I do everything on line, but I did have to go recently to close out a CD at my local bank in NJ. Didn't see any signs about dress and didn't see a security guard either. Never heard about the bank being robbed. Will have to check for signs in banks when I walk past them in NYC.

o

I was watching Judge Mathis one day and he explained the pants thing. In prison it depends on how low you wear them as to how available you are for sex. I think if kids realized the story behind them, they would probably wear them like Erkle.

o

"What am I suppose to do? Take off my glasses and walk into someone as I take my hood off my head?"

The scenario was that it was -20 outside, and lily walked inside. Since the glasses would have immediately fogged up anyway, yes, you might walk into someone. So stand still for a minute and get your bearings, take off the glasses, and let the cameras get a good look at you while you get oriented.

Just sayin'.

The guarding of money in a bank is dead serious business. Not complying with the easy identification rules of the bank is just dumb. One can say that the bank personnel "know" them, that's not the point. One can say they don't need to wear seatbelts because they are careful drivers.

"So, thanks to low lifes, banks are enacting dress codes."

Demi, that was kind of a dumb thing to say. No offense intended from me, but you must know that was going to get folks' back up.

Anyway, I think it's a good topic because apparently many are unaware that this is ordinary protocol for many if not most banks today.

o

Don't really use banks... don't care for 'em. Wouldn't really have a need to enter one, actually. I think we talked about banks in general at one time, and a lot of folks use Credit Unions.

o

That is an urban legend Mrsk.

http://www.snopes.com/risque/homosex/sagging.asp

o

"I think we talked about banks in general at one time, and a lot of folks use Credit Unions."

Credit unions are the popular choice in this town; that's what we use. They have the same security policy, BTW.

o

The city bank I use does have a sign to remove head coverings, etc. I just ignore it, as I have usually come via bicycle and don't want to bother to remove my bike helmet. I've never been called on it. I am so small and petite that I doubt anyone could conceive of me robbing a bank. My BF wears sunglasses even indoors, most of the time. As for hoodies, I have a lovely black velvet one.

If you want to see diversity, come to Charleston, SC: fashionistas, students, skateboarders, yoga masters, tourists just off the Carnival, sundresses, old men in seer suckers suits wearing straw hats.

Chez moi, I tend to live in my jeans or shorts.

Just a thought: as to removing head gear--- what about Muslim women wearing headscarfs???

o

We deliver to some convenience stores in poor higher crime areas with no hoodies signs.

Shoplifting is quite high at many of these stores and gas drive-offs were common, so it's pre-pay only, many things are locked up, behind counters and they have little or no outside products/displays.

They also don't want loitering, so there are no inside tables, no public restrooms, no outside table and picnic areas etc.

Many clerks and owners in these regions will watch customers like hawks, yet minutes away in better areas they have little concern of being ripped off, or robbed.

Location is everything.

o

"Just a thought: as to removing head gear--- what about Muslim women wearing headscarfs???"

Good question!

I'd say, if they don't wish to comply, bank elsewhere.

o

Well, I can attest to large losses in classy neighborhoods, too... where high class, expensive stores are the targets. I have a cousin and a friend that both ran security for very well known, larger, higher end department stores. Some of the stories are actually quite hilarious.

Tackles made while trying to grab shoplifters, items and where they were found and how heisted... some of it is rather comedic.

o

Not my urban legend Frank. I heard that from a judge.

o

Criminals are not the brightest bulb in the box.

I worked for a institution and for Christmas one of their present was sweat shirts with the institution name on the front of the shirt and their name on the back. We thought that was cute that they were receiving personalized gifts. For the company to pay for the present the company name had to have its name on the item.

These idiots put on mask and robbed a Kentucky Fried and could not figure out how the police knew it was them when they came to the institution and arrested them. Well your name is on the back of your shirt and where you were was on the front of the shirt.

o

"Not my urban legend Frank. I heard that from a judge."

But an urban legend nonetheless.

o

FWIW, my "ghetto" friends here taught me as a teen that the reason for sagging was to show that you weren't storing a piece in your waistband. IOW, that you were tough and confident enough to commit to defending yourself without a weapon.

Wikipedia (which is admittedly a dubious source) lends some support to how this idea began by stating that sagging did begin in prison, but because belts are prohibited there since they ... ta da ... might help a prisoner hide a weapon.

But no matter how it started, it has continued on due to the silliness of many people of every generation of youth who will wear practically anything their peers deem as stylish.

It's only sad to me when I see grown-arse people still doing it, like I did at a gas station yesterday. Dude was at least 10 years my senior ... at least, and sitting their sagging like he was a kid!

Actually made me laugh out loud.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sagging Wiki Link

o

While I agree to a point that there are some fads best left to youth... I still refuse to dress my age. I can't. I don't think I look bad in my choices, and I haven't had a complaint yet.

However, with that said, I'd not want my underwear showing a foot above my jeans, and my jeans so baggy I couldn't run in them, and had to hold them up at the same time!

It's not a dress mode I'd choose for criminal activity.. I can tell you that much! lol!

o

Speaking of stupid criminals, one of our cousin's kids used his welfare EBT card to gain entry into an apartment, then dropped the card in the apartment by accident.

o

mrskjun, I would say any prison that let them get by with that was poorly managed. In our prison, they could wear only their underwear in the dorm (no AC). But, to enter the day room or go anywhere else: chow hall, recreation building or yard, their shirts had to be tucked in to pants fully up to normal level. One warning only, after that a quick trip to the "clothes house" where they were issued tighter pants. Any indiscretion after that would cost them a write up, which would result in lost privileges or maybe busted back to closed custody.

o

But nobody has to introduce me to paper plates or solo cups either, thank goodness...

We may be in shorts and flip-flops, but this household still uses the old family sterling and the old family porcelain every night, every meal.

-Ron-

o

steve, we're talking about a trend that started nearly 20 years ago now, and that's on the free world side.

Were you also working in prisons as long as 20+ years ago?

o

TG - No, fortunately I had jobs that I was more proud of and required a few more brain neurons firing until 2001.
I took the prison job out of desperation in 2003. I was a good employee and a good influence on the inmates until 2011 when I retired.

o

Hi Elvis, I like your question about headgear for Muslim women. Actually scarf is related to their religion. They are not allowed to put it down. So for them I can suggest for the designer head scarf for them. In this way will look different.

o

Ron, I think its just lovely that you all do! Well used, well loved, memories and continued history - all the more precious to your children someday because of it.

o

Well, we don't have sterling or china, but I refuse to buy disposable, non-green items when it takes all of 5 or 10 minutes to wash a few dishes. What a colossal waste of perfectly good trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here