Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Word for the Day

Posted by demifloyd 8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 12:42

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable
of leading are elected by the least capable of producing; where members of
society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods
and services paid for by confiscated wealth from a diminishing number of producers.

Conversely, I'll make my own for the other end of the spectrum:

Reciprocityocreacy - a system of government where the least capable of leading are elected by those willing to finance the campaign coffers of the least capable of leading in order to insure that business and personal interests are protected.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Word for the Day

This goes along with your theory that those that benefit from welfare (e.g., living off the taxpayers in your dictionary) are actually VOTING people like Obama into office.

I don't think you have any numbers to prove that.

And I think you misspelled your new word. Should "Reciprocityocreacy" be "Reciprocityocracy"?

o

Yep, I did!

:)

I don't have to have numbers to prove anything.

They are "made up" terms.

Which, since I made it up, it can be spelled any way!~

o

Only anecdotal data, but nearly all of our relatives receiving numerous public assistance benefits stated they plan on voting for Obama.

We only have a few relatives on-the-fence so to speak.

Regardless of who's elected, they'll still be poor and unemployable.

o
!RE: Word for the Day

I know, I thought about not mentioning the spelling since it was a made up word!

On the numbers, you don't have to have any for this post ... but in other posts I thought I had asked you what kind of stats you have to support your belief that welfare recipients vote for those that continue to legislate for welfare benefits.

So you get a pass here, but not in other places in the future.

Maybe other people can think up some new words too. This could be fun.

o

Italian phrase for the day: Parlare a vanvera.

o

This goes along with your theory that those that benefit from welfare (e.g., living off the taxpayers in your dictionary) are actually VOTING people like Obama into office.

Did I miss something in demi's OP? Nothing said about which party anyone would vote for huh? Are you saying esh that those who benefit most from welfare will be voting for Obama? Why do you think that is?

o

I think "least capable of producing" can go either way.

Trust fund kiddies (in my experience) are less capable of producing than your average welfare recipient. Sure, they can produce through investment, but are more likely to blow their money. At least welfare recipients spend part of their life producing, even as an uneducated labourer or service personnel.

o

Esh, put yourself in the people who receive benefits - would you vote for the party that increased and extended those benefits over the past few years and isn't saying they are going to cut them? Or would you vote for the party that will most likely cut those benefits?

o

There is no doubt that people SHOULD vote for people that have policies that benefit them. For example, WOMEN should vote for democrats because democrats are more likely to develop and support policies that benefit certain women's issues like: support for birth control, decisions regarding abortion, fair pay in the workplace, etc.

Of course there ARE exceptions so you really do have to also look at the person, not just the platform.

But the question was DO people actually DO that? My position (which originated from other comments by demi on other threads) is that people a) don't always vote in their own best interest and b) don't always even VOTE! When it comes to people on welfare, especially any LONGTERM welfare folks (you know, the ones some of you call "generational") I am willing to be that over 50% of them don't even vote. Either because they don't have access to get there or they aren't even aware enough of the process to get registered and do it.

o

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 13:52

I think "least capable of producing" can go either way.

Trust fund kiddies (in my experience) are less capable of producing than your average welfare recipient. Sure, they can produce through investment, but are more likely to blow their money. At least welfare recipients spend part of their life producing, even as an uneducated labourer or service personnel.

Of course it can go both ways, HG, and again, I'm sure you're personal experience supports your statement.

Most "trust fund" types I know of are educated, however, and are indeed, more capable of "producing" than those that depend on welfare throughout a lifetime.

That would be "productivity" that would bring in more tax dollars. Of course not all "productivity" is monetary, so of course anyone could be a producer, depending on one's definition.

Esh, mrskjun made a very good point.

As to one being expected to vote what would benefit them, others have said that on this forum, and expressed incredulity that one would vote "against their own interests."

I do not agree that one should always vote for what benefits them--I think that principles should be considered.

For example, although I most certainly (at least in the short term, personally) benefited from the bailouts by the government, I opposed them and still do.

As I noted in the OP, I made up the last term but I did not make up the first one, although it is "made up."

o
@RE: Word for the Day

I do not agree that one should always vote for what benefits them--I think that principles should be considered.

Fewer people have principles to consider, demi. That is a shame, but true.

I think we are agreeing here - people don't always vote for what benefits them. Those that benefit the most from "Obamacare" will not necessarily vote for Obama or the Democrats that enacted it.

o

I absolutely agree! Hey, is that a first, demi? You and I agreeing? ;-)

As I've said before, I would vote for the candidate that would raise my taxes because I think it's the right thing to do.

This is a fun topic!

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, May 15, 12 at 14:47

Red states collect more fed dollars, so the theory that the leaches vote Dem does not seem likely ... facts speak louder than smack.

o

We used to have high turnout when politicians got $5 per vote.

Maybe that explains it.

o

Websters gives a simpler definition (ineptocracy (noun) : government by the inept) a word that found its way into the dictionary during the Bush years for some strange reason. It is a system that comes about when people reverse John Kennedy's famous saying "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country" leading to a government that favours the few above the many.

The other word is a good example of a Parlare a vanvera.

o

Too bad you and Nancy can't let a little attempt at levity go and instead have a need to go out of your way to throw darts, Ink. :/

o

We're waiting for a successful attempt at levity!

Until then... tricky attempt at spacing non parlare a vanvera. :0)

o

Hey Demi not the old "I was only joking" schtick again surely?

You live in a country that has more then its fair share of a military industrial complication so excuse me if levity about "producing" doesn't reduce me to uncontrollable giggles.

o

Ohiomom is right. red states get more fed assistance than non- red, so your point is?

o
RE:the Day

Lily if you think that all of the problems that exist can be shifted away from you because of a party divide that you see yourself on the right side of gawd help us.

o

romney created thousands of jobs- in china.

maybe he should run for office there.

o

Roughseas - LOL

o

New word:

Disputatious

o

o

Disputatious

Clever! I am feeling very disputatious this morning. I don't know why.

o

Nancy in Venice (CA, right? Not Italy):"New phrase: fare una brutta figura."

Come maleducato.

o

Oh, Esh, don't feel disputatious.

We have more than enough grump and negativity.

Apparently trying to insult out finesse another poster is an activity preferable to more lofty pursuits.

As to loftier pursuits, I'll leave the snide comments in Italian to you, Nancy, as I am about to turn my concentration to the first movement of Clara Schumann's Concerto, "allegro maestoso."

Concerto that makes the soul soar

Ci vediamo

(stb"c")

o

Don't you just love it when Demi trys to - oh! - so carefully explain to one of us why it is she is just so much better (loftier) than most of us?

Though she tends to get a tad bit grumpy when we refuse to accept her self appointed status of elevation, she never stops trying to educate us about that particular position, most certainly!

o

It was Hyacinth Bucket, excuse me Bouquet that came to mind mylab.

o

Come maleducato maleducata.

There, fixed the phrase written by elvis, la malistruita.

Verb of the day: approfittarsene.

L'uomo d'affari se ne approfitta del disastro.

o
Hyacinth

Gee, I sure hope when I'm as old as y'all I'm not so high and mighty and grumpy!

Now, I must return to my preparations, the vicar is coming for tea!

Smile, people!

o

Posted by nancy_in_venice_ca SS24 z10 CA (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 13:23

"Come maleducato maleducata.

There, fixed the phrase written by elvis, la malistruita.

Verb of the day: approfittarsene.

L'uomo d'affari se ne approfitta del disastro."

Here, Elvis, you can use this from my earlier post:

"Ci vediamo

(stb"c")

The (stb"c") is "sure to be corrected."

You are SO PREDICTABLE, Nancy!

o
Passa Parola

Use proper Italian syntax and there will be no corrections -- unless you are assuming that elvis would prefer to communicate ignoring basic rules.

o

Hey, while you're at it -- ask the vicar how s/he likes the Republican plan to increase military spending at the cost of feeding the poor.

o
Earl Grey

Posted by circuspeanut 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 13:50

Hey, while you're at it -- ask the vicar how s/he likes the Republican plan to increase military spending at the cost of feeding the poor.

No thanks, ciruspeanut, I do not discuss religion and politics in polite company.

That's why I do it here.

o

Ouch!

o

Demi: "No thanks, ciruspeanut, I do not discuss religion and politics in polite company.

That's why I do it here."

Oh, my! ;0

o

Remember this post the next time Demi says she never speaks disrespectfully to another poster.

o

I think Demi is laughing at all of us, including herself, and for good reason.

I found this definition: "in polite society/circles/company: among people who are considered to have a good education and correct social behaviour - often used humorously: You can't use words like that in polite company."

"Disrespectful" doesn't apply, IMO.

o

I just heard a good new word that I think we can get some mileage out of: liarrhea (if you insist I can offer a definition but...)

o

Greedom and the resulting greedastrophe.

Ain't the Urban Dictionary grand?

Hyacinth Bucket... as it's been said, "someone has to fly the flag of finesse." LOL

o

hebetudinous a word that could be appropriate for well so many occasions on this forum!
Came across it once when I was looking for a Rose Hebe's Lip.

o

Very cumbersome word. Aaaand, if anyone but you used it, there would be hell to pay, right? The threads have taken a disappointing bend today. I can understand why you choose gibberish so often, truly.

Hope Edd is doing well today :)

o

Thanks Elvis It's getting complicated as he now has had 3, 7 hour major surgeries in less than 2 months & The FDA has done whats called a 1A recall on the device he had implanted. It now comes with warnings & cautions to the surgeons about a design feature that could cause problems like the ones he's had twice now. I think we may need a product liability lawyer next.

o

Oh, no. I'm praying for you guys (can't hurt!).

Seeing a lawyer is a good idea--for one thing it's a good stress outlet; you must be wound pretty tight by now.

I dare you to use that word in the middle of a sentence and see if anyone notices ;)

o

Posted by elvis 4b WI (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 16:38

I think Demi is laughing at all of us, including herself, and for good reason.

And you would be correct, Elvis.
;)

o
RE: Word for the Night

Cool. 'Night :)

o

I might dare it in the future but it tends to be antiquated even for medical usage. Potentially describing someone after a heavy anesthesia.
Well no see that could work on here.
Judging From his overall hebetudinous response to what was being said, Labrea must not yet be out from under the anesthesia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here