Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Atheists in Oklahoma

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 13:07

Glen Beck is saying surviving godless mother & child on CNN were a plant!
Is every new story being turned into Ripley's Believe it or not...paranoia conspiracy bizzaro world?
Beck's idea is that CNN producer doesn't like Christians oh for the LORD sake!

Here is a link that might be useful: you gotta believe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Atheists in Oklahoma

I wouldn't worry.

There are plenty of atheists on the east and west coast that make up for those idiot God believers in flyover land.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 13:21

You mean the woman with Wolf Blizter?

Too funny, sure stopped Wolf in his tracks.

It must be very difficult, and embarrassing, for people who aren't terribly religious, believe in other gods, or are atheists to be bombarded by the phony religiosity over and over again every time something happens - good or bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 13:34

It's presumptuous to assume everyone in "fly over" land believes as the rest of us do, we live in a very mobile society where people of all beliefs, or not, reside.

The young mother handled herself gracefully, Glen Beck is just silly ... but he does have followers otherwise we would not know/hear from him.

o

Thu, May 23, 13 at 13:52

Anyone interested might be surprised by the results at the link....

....researchers found Utah to be the most Christian* state with around 78 percent of population identifying as Christian adherents. The researchers found Maine to be the least Christian state with only about 27 percent identifying as Christian adherents.

...California reported the highest number of Christian adherents, whereas Vermont reported the lowest

Here is a link that might be useful: State by State

o

I saw this live and laughed out loud. What a wonderful cheerful woman, not at all like the dour way atheists are portrayed by the Right. And for the azzhole Glenn Beck saying she was a plant?? I think HE'S a plant...from another planet.

When another guy who was pulled with injuries from his house demolished all around him said God was wonderful to him and took care of him. Really? I guess God didn't like the ten little kids who were killed and all the other adults. I guess God didn't care that 15,000 or more homes were lost and the community devastated.

o

Thanks, Mom--like you, I am sick to death of the "phony religiosity" that consigns all outcomes to some phony divine icon.

o

Thu, May 23, 13 at 14:19

Pidge I do not mock those who do not believe as I do ... for me it is all about "tolerance" for other's beliefs and/or non-belief. As a believer I always hope for the same consideration from others :)

o

Ditto, Pidge.

If there were a loving deity out there somewhere, there never would have been a tornado. There would have been no grisly death, no innocents harmed, and no one would have lost what they had.

What is the "atheist plight", I have to wonder?

o

This thing needs to be arrested I mean the one David Barton says sends tornadoes & meningitis. It's an angry brat that keeps breaking it's toys in not so mysterious ways! Maybe no atheists in fox holes but there was 1 in that tornado shelter!
The faithful or the fitful can pray for or at her!

This post was edited by labrea on Thu, May 23, 13 at 15:18

o

Ohiomom, I did not mean to insult believers and I apologize for offending you. My point was not well put--I mean the phonies who use religiosity for a poltical agenda like Beck does. And they really are calling on a phony divine icon who, if such a divinity would actually exist, would hopefully never allow itself to be part of a political shill by a political hack. I hope that says things better than my initial comment.

o

Thu, May 23, 13 at 15:05

Thanks Pidge ... :)

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 15:21

If Beck is a plant from another planet then his mission must be to dumb down humans into a paranoid stew of fear and ignorance.

If God was responsible for the tornado that flattened the town of Moore and killed 2 dozen people then Beck should be preaching that God is a Terrorist.

o

I would guess Oklahoma is in the Bible belt. I have never been there, but I'm guessing the majority of the population is Christian and have a higher than average church attendance. Just guessing. So therefore we have not seen Pat Robertson come out the last few days saying God's wrath was caused by all the ...you name it, gays, queers, Muslims, unfaithful wives....

o

Pat Robertson does not represent Christians just as Westboro Church does not.

Do all atheists represent atheists?

Pat Robertson is irrelevant.

o

Thu, May 23, 13 at 16:18

Do jihadists represent all Muslims?

Do extremists (whether Dem or Repub) represent all Dems or Repubs?

If the case is being made that the "Robertsons'" of the world represent all Christians then would it be fair to say that "all" white people are skinheads?

You see how this works? We, all of us, need to step back and think about how we define our sisters and brothers less we want to be painted with that same broad brush that some are fond of wielding.

Come together ....

o

Thu, May 23, 13 at 16:29

....fueled by our faith in the Almighty and our faith in one another our prayers are with the people of Oklahoma today. And we will back up those prayers with deeds for as long as it takes. (President Obama)

No mockery? No criticism for him using the "Almighty and prayer"?

Come on now, some of you must be outraged that the president expressed/expresses his faith in God and prayer on a regular basis.

Don't hold back ... let him have it!!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 16:32

It's easier to demonize and marginalize, then you don't have to deal with other people and their ideas and tendencies in a mature fashion.

o

I love it Pat Robertson is inconsequential! As exc chairman of CBN that's like saying Oprah is inconsequential! You can say it but it's a rediculous statement in the scope of US Christian TV programming & ad revenue!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 17:02

"and our faith in one another"

Now that's something we should all believe in, and God would approve that far more than us worshiping Him.

o

And Pat's gazillion followers would disagree he is irrelevant. Look at the size of his congregation and the money he gets each and every week pouring in. Not from liberals, for sure.

o

"Come on now, some of you must be outraged that the president expressed/expresses his faith in God and prayer on a regular basis.

Don't hold back ... let him have it!!"

Ain't gonna happen. FWIW, i totally agree with your last 2 posts, Ohio. I'm glad it was you that said it, instead of me, though.

All too often, posts around here are reacted to not based on their truth, but by who posted them.

------

As to the OP, is there really a Beck fan here? I don't think so. He's a bit of a crank, isn't he.

o

Sometimes this forum drives me nuts, but sometimes it's a really great and loving place to be. Today it's the latter.

o

Not since he left Fox Elvis!
My ankles sure are sore though!

o

I watched this video of Wolf and the atheist. Pretty funny. And they both did a good job recovering.

As for the people that think it's a plant, well I guess they just need a few more conspiracies to fill up that hole in their head where a brain is supposed to be.

o

A very well timed proclamation from the Pope this week. He said atheists will be admitted to heaven if they led a good life.

o

huh? but heaven is a non issue for athiests.

from the link Wolf said that he thought she wa sa plant from some producer who was "sympathetic to the athiest plight"
what plight?

o

I wonder if, at the height of the storm, the lady being interviewed thought something along the lines of "please let me and/or my baby survive this". If so, who was she addressing?

The same question could be asked of anyone who is an atheist who utters similar words in a time of stress or when their life is threatened.

Both Wolf and the interviewee recovered nicely from the classic "deer in the headlights" moment.

o

Ohio. I'm glad it was you that said it, instead of me, though.

All too often, posts around here are reacted to not based on their truth, but by who posted them.

ain't that the God's truth. :)

OMom is sincere. I know that for sure.

President Obama has testified that he trusted Christ for his salvation. Gasp! I know! Terrifying that he too would use a crutch, no?

Have a safe, memorable holiday weekend.

o

Well written, Ohio. Far too often, the majority of a group of people are judged by the extremes. The extremes are the ones who generate the publicity so people jump to the conclusion that the people they see on TV are typical of those in that group.

I've seen it happen here over and over and over.

o

No, no mockery, no criticism, I, for one, am pleased that the President has a belief that satisfies him. I have a belief that satisfies me.

Ultimately, neither President Obama, nor the Pope, or the Dali Lama, or Tenzin Gyatso, or Bartholomew I, or Dawoodi Bohras, or Ayman Rouhani, or anyone else, even on this forum, can claim to know what is ultimately TRUTH. What we believe is only true for us, individually.

The God that Wolf Blizter was referring to is our western Christian God, I seriously doubt Wolf (or his producer) would have interviewed or made the same comment to someone who appeared not to believe in our white Anglo-Saxon God.

o

A very well timed proclamation from the Pope this week. He said atheists will be admitted to heaven if they led a good life.

Are you kidding? On so many levels, I can't believe he said that.

o

President Obama has testified that he trusted Christ for his salvation. Gasp! I know! Terrifying that he too would use a crutch, no?

What? Our President is unintelligent?
Our President needs a crutch?
Our President believes in Fairy Tales?
Our President is not scientific?

Let's hear the disdain for the President that we hear for the rest of us Christians.

Nah, not going to happen.

o

SOB

o

"Pat Robertson is irrelevant."

Surely you jest. Why are his books flying off the shelves like hotcakes? Why do viewers of his "700 Club" daily send him tons of money, when asked? How does he keep a huge University and Law School going, and sending out missionaries to the 4 corners of the world if he is irrelevant? And trust me, he has already groomed his successor for when he passes on....

o

"A very well timed proclamation from the Pope this week. He said atheists will be admitted to heaven if they led a good life."

So, us atheists get to go to a place we don't believe exists when we expire? How comforting...

It sounds more like a desperate move on the part of the Catholic church to gain membership, which in turn gains it more in tithes.

Ohiomom, I freely admit that I mock extremists at times, or treat certain things with sarcasm... I simply can't help it... but it is everyone's right to believe as they wish. Some find comfort in it, and as Pidge said, it's not those who are truly decent that are the targets of such sarcastic darts, but those who use the ideals as they were not intended to be used... but I know you realize that much of what is said needs no such disclaimer, as you would probably agree that, in large part, many religions seem out of control these days.

Why would the President be mocked for a personal belief, when he displays no disrespect to persons different than himself, and doesn't insist that his religious beliefs be melded into the government. He simply says the things that any normal believer would say in his position.

If I were in his position, I'd simply say "thank reason" instead of "thank god"... and I'd issue no public statements using religious terminology.

I'm not sure why it's so surprising that a reporter would run into an atheist. I don't find it extraordinary.

o

Exactly. Just as I said, Pat Robertson is certainly NOT irrelevant despite those of you who wish he'd shut his mouth. He rakes in tons of money and has a multitude of people who listen to his every word.

Isn't it a little odd that people here who actually bought into the thought that Obama was a secret Muslim because of his middle name , now cite him a a wonderful Christian. Irony at it's best.

I am not an atheist, just not a church goer. I saw the hypocrisy of the bureaucracy of my own particular church when I was teenager. When I was a toddler there was one minister with an occasional student preacher from the Gettysburg seminary and a secretary. . When I was ready to leave home, that church employed so many people , it was a tidy little business.

I heard the Pope remark on Jimmy Kimmel show last night. He does report newsworthy info mainly when he wants to make a joke about it. I'm guessing it's true. Google it.

o

There are many non theist who are not necessarily atheist
"please let me & my baby get through this"
is so absolutely human and the plea doesn't necessarily have to imply that there is a recipient listening that will grant a future wish & make the petitioner special among so many others in the same circumstance.!
There are quite a number of non theistic Quakers, Paul Tilliich an ordained Lutheran Minister & Theologian would come close to challenging many Christians concepts of something out there with his
"God does not exist. He is being itself beyond essence and existence. Therefore to argue that God exists is to deny him"

Systems of belief & religions can always find insult particularly since they are human constructs often very concerned with pleasing or not offending or supplying their god or philosophy with more adherent's!

o

Does that explain why the Pres.didn't go to OK?

o

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that asked, "Got Hope?"

Maybe that's the crux of 'belief': Hope for the Good, not necessarily a deity made up by man for man.

o

Sorry to burst your bubble, Bright, but he was waiting till the chaos settled and will be going Sunday. He is a great sympathizer , and people love his kind words and personal interaction.

o

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Fri, May 24, 13 at 11:58

Exactly. Just as I said, Pat Robertson is certainly NOT irrelevant despite those of you who wish he'd shut his mouth. He rakes in tons of money and has a multitude of people who listen to his every word.

Which of "us" wish Pat Robertson would shut his mouth?

I don't care whether he shuts his mouth or screams what he believes from the mountaintop or every television station.

It's a free country (well, it was) and the first amendment hasn't totally disappeared.

Pat Robertson's opinions are irrelevant to me and my life.

o

Does that explain why the President go to OK?
Your question is unanswerable perhaps a mirror would help!
Any answer other than the one already in your mind would be scorned!

o

"It sounds more like a desperate move on the part of the Catholic church to gain membership, which in turn gains it more in tithes."

I think most churches pass a donation plate (the electric bill has to be paid, for example). Mom encouraged us (Roman Catholic) kids to attend several different churches, in the interest of broadening our horizons, and they all passed baskets/plates. I've only known one tither in my lifetime, that I know of.

o

Tithing is not part of the Roman Catholic teaching. Used to be regarded as one of the “precepts of the Church” - descriptions of the absolute minimum action required of adherents.These precepts are disciplinary (and not doctrinal) in nature.

I've only known one tither - a Mormon who unfortunately was found to be short on the 10% in order to pay the mortgage, feed the family, etc., lost church standing and was denied access to the temple.

Found this in a Google search... "Tithing always comes first in Mormonism. Any member who is struggling in any way (job loss, broken down car, depression, etc) will always be counseled to pay tithing in order to receive blessings. Mormons are required by Commandment of God to pay 10% of all their GROSS income to the LDS church. This includes all income, including, employment, social security, Medicare, food stamps and trust funds and any other form of income, even including finding money on the ground."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here