Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will the GOP platform double down on gay marriage?

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 15:36

Will the GOP platform take the opportunity of Obama's public support for gay marriage to pick up the voters that feel strongly otherwise? Romney used the occasion of his speech at a Baptist college, Liberty University, to bring up the topic and restate his position against it.

Santorum says Romney needs to take advantage of this:

Rick Santorum is urging Mitt Romney to "step up" and weaponize the issue of same-sex marriage.

"This is a very potent weapon, if you will, for Governor Romney if he's willing to step up and take advantage of a president who is very much out of touch with the values of America," Santorum said in an eye-opening live interview with Arkansas TV station KARK, a CNN affiliate.

"Hopefully Governor Romney will continue to stand tall for his position on this issue and understand how detrimental it would be for society for it to have this changed," Santorum also told the Arkansas station.

"Governor Romney has to talk about his values," he added. "That's the most important thing."

Can this be an issue that gets people to vote for this issue even more than any concern for the economy (that is, this trumps all other issues for them)?

That's every bit as big a bet as Obama has taken in declaring his support. Course I guess it only matters in the swing states.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will the GOP platform double down on gay marriage?

I would guess that a lot of polling will be conducted in the swing states before either side decides on a definite campaign for those votes.

o

It's a shame that the GOP will (most likely) land up on the wrong side of history.
Like slavery
and like civil rights, progress means rejecting the status quo.

o
A time and place for every order

Like slavery and like civil rights, progress means rejecting the status quo.

I remember President Clinton running into a brick wall on the issue of gays in the military, which resulted in the 'don't ask, don't tell' compromise. So timing also plays an important part in the equation. Personally I would have liked to see President Clinton sign an order stating that no discrimination against gays would be tolerated in the military, and let the homophobes in the armed forces howl. President Truman integrated the armed services with an order, but President Clinton lacked the nerve to do the same with gays. He was Commander in Chief, and the generals could have either followed his orders, or resigned.

o

I wish Pres. Clinton had done as you suggested, but DADT was progress at that time. Not even the majority of democrats supported gays in the military
It's amazing how far we've come so soon.

o

Let's face it President Obamas stance on same sex marriage isn't driving any born agains from his camp. They weren't voting for him anyhow. It may gain him something with independents but honestly it's not a game changer.

With Romney it is a bit different. He has been supportive of civil unions and even recently adoption rights for gay couples. That will not help him with born agains but it's not going to drive them to Obama! Hover it may affect turnout.

o

Interesting, I believe this is punch one I can't imagine what punch two will be. SO early in the campaign you don't throw the knock out punch.

o

Speaking of Clinton, "It's the economy, stupid," will still apply in November...

o

The Economy is lip service this country is a bad assed bedroom Republic. See Mittens at Liberty College the other day. What an unfortunate name for that university.

o
re: yes no maybe

In Colorado even though the governor called a special session in the attempt to get Colorado's civil unions bill a proper hearing, the GOP has successfully maneuvered to kill it without a vote.

The Bill had already passed out of the Judiciary Committee during regular session but in this special session Frank McNulty assigned to House State Affairs committee where it is expected to die. When asked why he reassigned it to that committee McNulty

"We're working to expedite the processes as much as we can, consolidating bills into different committees. We'll move through this special session as expeditiously as possible while recognizing the fact that there are a number of folks who are interested in the bills in front of us," McNulty said. "We want to make sure those people have the opportunity to come and testify and weigh in on these bills."
He added, "It's unfortunate that Gov. Hickenlooper has put us in this position, but we will do our best to move as quickly as possible so that we're not wasting taxpayer dollars."
Asked why he sent the bill to House State Affairs, known as a "kill committee" because its members are all in safe seats, McNulty again spun the discussion back toward Hickenlooper.

McNulty moves Colorado civil unions bill to "kill" committee - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20619943/colorado-civil-unions-backers-dont-have-high-hopes#ixzz1usatRgII
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse.

The party of no marches on the Bill was expected to pass if it was gotten out of committee! A republican Broke ranks to let it out of the Judiciary Committee where they hoped it would die the first time around.

Rep. B.J. Nikkel, R-Loveland, backed the measure in an effort to send Senate Bill 2 to the full House for a “fair” hearing.

“I’ve said all along that I would make sure that we would give the bill a fair hearing,” Nikkel said following the vote. “It’s a good thing for all of my colleagues to have the opportunity to have a say on this. They represent all of Colorado and I believe that the correct way to do this is through the representative form of government that we have right here.” last week there was consternation among Colorado republicans when Nikkel signaled that she would break from the NO the party wanted & say yes for a full hearing.

o

The republican party is not going to play to the far right wing base the way the candidates did during the primaries, although I do think you're going to see a lot of flip flopping by Romney in the next few months.

o

I wonder what party just pulled that off in Colorado then.

o

An openly gay Mitt Romney donor has decided to pull his support for the presumptive GOP nominee and instead support President Obama's reelection bid, citing the former Massachusetts governor's opposition to same-sex marriage as a dealbreaker.

"I feel that I no longer wish to support your presidential campaign and ask you that you please return the maximum contribution that I gave to you last year," Bill White wrote in a letter to Romney, according to a report by CNN. "You have chosen to be on the wrong side of history and I do not support your run for president any longer."

Oh, that hurts.

o

Mr white went further

"I believe that you will do as you now say and try to force a constitutional amendment which would attempt to make my own legal and blessed marriage null and void."

That would take away states rights wouldn't Republican folks and freedom lubbers? Enviable Character you got running. there

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, May 14, 12 at 23:45

The repubs may see it as a decent wedge issue, still awaiting Rove's blessing?

Maybe a good counterattack would be to have some Mass residents in a pro Obama commercial thanking Romney for Romneycare in their state. That would be cute.

o

Or some students from Liberty University discussing the Cult of Mormonism. Their curriculum says it's a cult. I thing a Mormon cult somehow fairs better for them than LGBT knot tying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here