Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Okay to Criticize Obama

Posted by elvis 4b WI (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 16:53

Bill tried to post this, but it somehow disappeared. Here it is.

High school teacher tells student he can be arrested for criticizing Obama

Joe Newby,
Spokane Conservative Examiner

Sarah Campbell wrote at the Salisbury Post Saturday that the heated exchange began "with a classroom conversation about a recent news story detailing Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney allegedly bullying a classmate in prep school. It turns into a heated, sometimes confrontational debate."

"Didn�t Obama bully someone though," one student asked, referring to an incident in Obama's memoir, "Dreams from My Father," in which Obama admitted pushing a girl when other students called him her boyfriend.

"Stop, no, because there is no comparison," the teacher said.

According to the teacher, Romney is "running for president," and therefore does not deserve the same respect as Obama, who "is the president. Listen, let me tell you something, you will not disrespect the president of the United States in this classroom," she said. She went on to tell the student that he "will not" say what he wants about Obama, and asserted that it was a crime to "slander" the President. The student responded by recalling that many spoke ill of George W. Bush while he was President, and such arrests would violate the Constitutional right to free speech.

The teacher asked: "Do you realize that people were arrested for saying things bad about Bush?" But Michael Bitzer, a political science professor at Catawba College, told the Post he had "no idea" what the teacher was talking about when she claimed people "were arrested for saying bad things about Bush. I have never heard of anyone arrested for saying derogatory things about George W. Bush, which I am assuming she is referring to," he said. "Her belief that if one slanders the president is not very accurate � if you �threaten� the president, that is another story, and that is a criminal offense."
Bitzer went on to say the student was more correct than the teacher.

"Her point about not being able to say anything �disrespectful� about the president does fly in the face of the First Amendment, and while she may wish to enforce that edict about �respecting� the president, the issue seems to have gotten personal on her part," he added, saying that her attempt to make a point seems to have been overshadowed by her personal feelings toward Obama. "Granted, she apparently tried to ensure that a respectful conversation was had about the president, but she seems to have taken things a bit too personally � and it appears the student was set on making a confrontation in the guise of raising a question about �who bullied who �both Romney and Obama'," he wrote. Bitzer said the teacher was a "bit overboard in being rude towards the student," but added that the student "was also trying to pick a fight."

The school system said it could not comment on the incident publicly, but said the social studies teacher - who was not identified - is still working for the district.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Okay to Criticize Obama

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, May 21, 12 at 16:56

Hmmmmmmmm

Here is a link that might be useful: Here ya go

o

This is so important we have two threads on it over here at the Hot/Not topics gossip show! On a scale of -10 to + 10 this must rate as a 'not on the scale'.

o

I differ with you inkognito.

That is a moron teacher in a class room.
What else is she teaching the kids that is wrong.

She was wrong on all counts.

No wonder so many kids score low on SAT test and are unprepared for college.

She didn't even sound like she was a teacher.

It only takes one ignorant teacher like her ...years of teaching to do damage to several kids.

You gave her a pass for being a bad teacher inkognito.

Elvis.....I bet you a trip to Vegas...when Obama hears about this ...he will invite her to the WH!!! Really.

o

You're on--I love Vegas!

Wait a minute; if he doesn't invite her to the WH, do I have to pay? If so, no deal. I think he'll toss her under the bus, if he addresses this at all, which I don't think he will.

o

I hope he doesn't.
She was so out of line .

You lose....I want a Shih Tzu...

o

Hey, I got a question. If someone were to mate a bull dog with a Shih Tzu, what would they call it? :-)

o

Why, a Bull Shih, I suppose. Now the fun part--what do you name the dog? ;)

Don't answer that!

o

Politician......Polly for short :)

o

Ink needs to continue posting about Obama's Drone War, killing innocent civilians, etc., and asking why he gets a free pass from his supporters. Since he's Canadian, (Ink, not Obama) he doesn't get attacked or questioned on it, just ignored, hoping it will makes its way to the bottom.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 12 at 8:33

Brush, Ink doesn't get attacked on it because he presents a very difficult position to refute.... But, you know that.... and, while I don't always agree with your positions, I think you would also acknowledge there is a lot of thoughtful dissent among "progressives" on this board... right of center, you are one of a very, very fe.... perhaps two.

Clearly it is "Okay to Criticize Obama". Proof being there is plenty of dissent within his "base" in addition to a barrage of nonsense coming from the right drowning out any valid arguments they may have.

o

Obama has been brilliant as our C.I.C.
There will always be collateral damage in War and even with high tech war, such as with guided missile attacks from planes and drones. That's certainly no reason to try to get Romney elected.

o

Proof being there is plenty of dissent within his "base" in addition to a barrage of nonsense coming from the right drowning out any valid arguments they may have.

The right-wing barrage of nonsense sure has picked up in HT.

o

"Proof being there is plenty of dissent within his "base" in addition to a barrage of nonsense coming from the right drowning out any valid arguments they may have."

Don't be so modest! Every bit of the credit for "drowning out" opposition belongs to that left-wing teacher.

She has presented us with a liberal example of
"teaching tolerance."

When confronted with an idea or question you don't like, throw a tantrum! Scream at the top of your lungs. Show those kids how a real expert does that "drowning out" thing.

There are, of course, consequences for left wing "educators" who get caught behaving like their party's symbol.

Parents, even tolerant ones, won't tolerate abusive teachers behaving like jackasses in the classrooms to which their children are assigned.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 12 at 11:20

Comforting. Like an old sweater... Almost like those so predictable, formulaic old sit-coms where everyone is talking about the attributes of the main character and then he makes his entrance and immediately goes right into his catch-phrase to riotous laughter and applause.

I'm ok with valid criticism of... well, of anyone or anything. Ongoing critique is fundamental to our 'system'.

o

Obama has been brilliant as our C.I.C.

Photobucket

o

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on Tue, May 22, 12 at 11:02
She has presented us with a liberal example of
"teaching tolerance."

Shouting Amen sister. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here