Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The beginning of Hot Topics

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 18:15

Here is the first page of hot topics on the Way Back Machine. Some thread links were not caught by the bot but there is enough to get an idea what it was like. You can navigate by year at the top and by page numbers at the bottom. The earliest post is at the bottom of this page. Have fun comparing then to now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Way Back

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The beginning of Hot Topics

I know that I was reading Hot Topics here around 2001. And I think that it was around before that.

o

Of course, '06 is not close to the beginning of OT. Before that a bunch of us were at SOE.

o

Hmmm, not sure what I thought OT is.....'HT".

I wonder where MonteND is?

o

Hot topics was started because people were getting in trouble on the Garden Party and the conversations side of Soils and Compost. Most of the names you see are from those two forums. On the garden Party we started calling it "That other place" Here is a link to a post on conversation side that is still there.

Here is a link that might be useful: First post on page ten on conversatins side

o

Thanks, Don. This thread is really fun. I wonder what happened to some of those people. I knew some of them from the Kitchen Forum.

o

I can't believe it's been 6 years. As of May 1, I have been a GW member for 10 years. O.M.G.

That was a fun review of the early days of HT.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, May 18, 12 at 20:01

Wow it has been a long time hasn't it .. :)

o

I think the beginning was around 2002 - 2003

but I had a look at what was still there and found this from BV, how could I ever disagree

The Islamic religion really IS a peaceful theology. It embraces the idea of peace, just as much as Christianity does. And just LIKE Christianity, it has its fringe radical groups who believe that violence is the way to get it done. Also, just as in Christianity, there have been times in history where their religion was used by misguided leaders to try and repress others (re: the Spanish Inquisition or the Crusades)

o

It used to be soil, mulch, and compost. I remember rollicking ruckuses there. Anybody remember duesexmachina?

o

I remember duesexmachina! I can't remember any specific posts though. A lot of characters rolled through that forum.

Anyone remember ginalawnless and riotofcolor?

o

I saw ginalawnless a few times. How about Pacquebot? He was quite the curmudgeon, I think he was banned. I remember a savage fight over how to best fertilize potatoes, and another regarding his insistence that earthworms will take bites out of live plants.

Good times.

o

Thanks, Don, for the trip down memory lane.

I remember flyboy, blossom girl, and swanz participating in the it's-Friday-and-time-to-bash-the-Muslims threads.

I miss Spewey.

o

I sure don't remember HT when I joined GW, that was 2001. Seed Exchange was an obsession with a lot of us. I actually live within 10 miles of 2 traders and am still in touch with them socially (live). Sadly (or hopefully not), I also know of some who have passed on to the next phase of life.

o

I remember flyboy, blossom girl, and swanz participating in the it's-Friday-and-time-to-bash-the-Muslims threads.

I miss Spewey

LOL. I remember those threads well and who can forget "Its a bewilderment". ;)

Ditto on Spewey.

o

I remember discussing 9/11 here in 2001. I also miss Spewey, and does anyone remember JasonMI?

o

That was very interesting reading. I only looked at a couple but it made me wonder what happened to many of the contributors like flyboy and spewey. They posted quite often. Were they banned?

o

Fond memories ha! thanks for posting this, Don.

I too miss Spewey, and his whacking some sense into some. I hope he's well...

I also miss Oceanna, and Aunt_Jen. And Pidge - to name but three more...

o

I miss spewey!

o

Yeah, spewey and flyboy. Things haven't been as lively since they abandoned the forum.

o

Spewey, the man who taught me the meaning of Mr. Quibble.

Carried a couple of Straw Men with him where ever he went.

I miss him, too.

Hay

o

I miss Spewey too. If he's reading, I hope he will consider coming back.

o

I miss oceanna, pidge, and spewey, too. Were the first 2 banned?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 12 at 9:38

No some are still around in other cyber spaces, they just left this fun place (^_^)

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 12 at 9:52

Very interesting to view the old posts. From the few that I have reviewed it appears that my former self seems to have been a bit sharper..time rolls on...
...if time allowed I'd like to see the Jan 1st page from each year where many of us made our annual future predictions for that year.

o

Oceanna , Pidge and Spewey are the ones I also miss. Maybe if anyone is in contact with them they can tell them we asked about them...(or if they're on another GW forum.) If I remember correctly, flyboy was gone for a long time and then returned very briefly, and then gone permanently.

o

Oceanna pops up occasionally on the Home Decorating forum - quick search of a page or two on that forum showed a Jan. 2012 entry.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 12 at 12:42

Aunt Jen is now SunnyCottage and you can also find her on the Home Dec forum.

o

Oceanna decided that masochism wasn't her style and moved on.

If you think that Jodi has a fan club, you should have seen Oceanna's - vicious.

o

I remember that , Nancy. Tell her that many who harassed her are now gone. The one I absolutely LOVE is gone is the guy who killed cats and lived in Western PA. FF, I think was his name Fanciful fowl..or something like that.

o

What I could never get into (beyond a quick weekly lurk) on most of the "Home Side" forums was the too much LOVE - for everything and anything. I'm not effusive enough, methinks.

I have found a recipe or two, though.

o

I post less than I used to... ignoring the fan club helps somewhat, but the reality is that I just don't care what they think. I have always been honest, straightforward, and very opinionated, telling it like it is, and calling it exactly as I see it... and I think that bothers some people. I don't know why, nor do I care.

I can't recall when I found HT and began posting... not that it matters. It seems that regardless of the forum, the same things are regurgitated over and over, the same questions asked by multitudes of people, and it just gets a little tiresome arguing about what's logical and what's not.

Helping people learn about gardening, discussing plants and whatnot through shared experience is fine... but there is always one... sometimes more... troublemakers in a group, and it just makes for poor conversation.

The players change for a variety of reasons... lives change, people move, some get tired of the bs, and some get banned... but the games remain the same. They always will; it's the world wide web, where anything goes.

o

Sat, May 19, 12 at 14:35

Not everyone gushes over everything, but there are some. They're good for an eyeroll like some of the posts here.

o

I agree about the regurgitation.

I have better things to do than spend as much time as I used to here.

In fact, I always did.

o

I must have stumbled on the GardenWeb forums looking for something specific about a conifer, I believe it was.

But, life does intrude - off to find a few peonies for one of the beds I'm reworking.

o

I found GW over 11 years ago when I was looking for kitchen remodel info. Then I found the pond site when we were building our second koi pond, but I don't recall how I came here.

o

I first found HT forum years ago through the book discussion forum at GW. I don't remember how long ago; I would guess around 2001.

I remember Fancifowl who raised chickens and lived in NW PA. But there was a troll far worse than he when I first joined the forum. He was pretending to be military, had stolen someone else's monniker, was caught, and later left, thank goodness. His posts were extremely inflammatory and insulting to anyone who disagreed with him politically.

There was also another pseudo-religious rightwingnut, who lived in Alabama, who claimed to be a writer. Equally nasty, and sent viruses to the computers of those with whom he disagreed politically. I sicked Spike on to him.

o

I don't remember when I joined HT but it was in progress. I had been banned for a couple of years by Spike for being too argumentive on the Native Plant board. He let me back on a bit before he sold the company. I did go off with the Froupers when the exodus from Soils, compost... was a hot issue. After I left, the SOE board just about died, home of the repetitive spams and plaintive mewling of little environmentalists.

What I've always appreciated about HT is the absence of persistent experts. They don't stay around to be challenged much. Can't say the same for some of the other boards on GW that I used to contribute my opinions or even facts.

o

I'd never paid too much attention to the Soils, compost, etc. board - at least not enough to notice just "who" held the copyright on TRUTH.

I had a fleeting hope for the Antiques forum, but that was and has remained a one woman show.

o

Sun, May 20, 12 at 16:40

Would her initials be LC? She's an expert (in her own mind) on every forum she frequents.

o

Bingo! I get a mental image of someone scrabbling around a bookshelf lined den madly riffling through volume after volume of Kovel's Price Guides. I believe she's actually been mistaken a few times.

o

Sun, May 20, 12 at 17:32

I believe she's actually been mistaken a few times.

Bet she never admitted it, lol.

o

The original posters always seem so pleased she's the one answering their query.

Even if it does feel good when you stop, beating your head against a grainy picture of a 1980's reproduction lowboy somehow isn't worth it.

o

There was a kerfuffle over at the Garden Party which was the only conversation venue outside of garden related forums around the time of the Iraq invasion for which I admit to nothing. Some people formed another web site called Garden Partay with a similar aversion to disagreement. Landscape Design was similarly afflicted where anything beyond "thank you for sharing" was frowned upon, Spike send me to Disney so often Mikey and me were on first name terms. I stopped using my email address around this time, so to cut a long story short (too late came the cry) it was after 2001 that Hot Topics came into being.

There has always been a mystery about the place for me apart from an unexplained difference between conversation and discussion, and that is why some topics can be made hot just because someone wants it to be. It is like a forum called Hot Topics is a troll magnet or a place where people come looking for an argument.

Anyway some of the people who fell by the wayside did actually try to raise the game and some had fragile ego's others who saw this place as entertainment or a baiting pit got tired and went away.

o

I bet the froupers are still partying away.....

o

Sun, May 20, 12 at 22:44

Anyone around for LC's son's Teletubbies post on Garden Party? It was a classic, but got him banned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinky Winky Falwell

o

I will admit, though, that this place is beyond fascinating when it comes to politically based opinions, or those with a particular controversial bent. One can only hope it's not a true crosscut section of our population and its thoughts on certain matters. If it truly were, it might be considered a bit on the scary side at times...

o

Oh, it's not a crosscut of society, for sure.

There are considerably fewer conservatives posting on this forum than liberals, certainly less than the makeup of likely voters in this country.

Liberals obviously like to sit at their computers a lot!
(Apparently I do too).

It's obvious we all have a considerable amount of leisure time to pontificate and snipe on this forum. So life can't be too bad if we're all able to have a computer, the internet, we're sitting and posting and able to communicate.

I'd bet we could spend our time in a more constructive manner. We could even build a Habitat for Humanity House.

Nah, I wouldn't feel safe around some with a hammer in their hands.

o

demi, what you wrote re sniping on this forum. With all due respect, I have a slightly different take on these discussions. I think we are mostly here because we care about our country and the direction it's headed in. In short, I take our debates here as a sort of patriotic exercise. At least, we are not indifferent, as are so many Americans.

o

Oh, I agree with you about that, woodnymph.

It's just that so many enjoy sniping.

I never did enjoy it, but confess to giving back what I got when I got it first. Still do on occasion.

Not good of me. I try not to do it much now; it's easier to ignore because it truly is a waste of time and I have been doing considerably more productive things with my time lately.

Truly, I believe that MOST people who post here do truly care about this country and don't come here just to criticize and castigate the other half of the country that does not believe like they do.

MOST of us have been able to have civil conversations and discourse and actual concern for one another irrespective of our differences.

We just differ as to how we believe our country can be it's best, what path we should take, and what that means.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, May 21, 12 at 13:07

Uh oh! Navel gazing.

o
Linty

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, May 21, 12 at 13:09

o

What I find surprising about this forum is the people who post only to ask legal questions, like the current beekeeper post. Awhile ago a couple of people asked about real estate law and attorney referral. The regulars who keep this forum going must have some level of credibility.

o

Pretty noble thinking althea. That could well be true for a variety of things. But I think "any port in the storm" can be applied, too.

o

We aren't a representative cross-section of American/Canadian society? That's the problem with self-selection, I guess. Selected for flat-out orneriness, I reckon....

o

Bringing this up so those that want to check out the previous election cycles can on the way back machine.

o

HT was a lot less political and much more eclectic back in the day.

o

When I first came to Hot Topics, it was with a hope of learning a little more about American Society - particularly, that great fantasy division between liberals and conservatives. (Neither camp wants me.) After a while, I had hoped that some of the rabid comments would diminish after the election - whichever presidential election it then was. But America is in election mode 24/7 and it never stops. And the divisions are now chasms.

o

We're not as bad as all that, are we, Nina?

o

One of the first posts on hot topics explaining what it is....

" o This forum
Posted by weebus Z8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on Sat, Jan 28, 06 at 12:09

What is the difference between this forum and the Garden Party.

Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: This forum

Posted by: trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 12:49

I hope this is like the SCM COnvo Pit and not convo-lite. We did ethics, morality, religion, politics, welfare, taxes, abuse, economics, and a heck of a lot more that that. AND we were intense.

Posted by: andie_rathbone Tyler, TX - 7B (My Page) on Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 13:59

What is or was the SCM Convo Pit?

Posted by: trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 14:29

Once upon a time their was a conversations forum at the Soil, Compost and Mulch Pit. Spike gave us a lot of free rein, but when given an almost invisible line to cross, we crossed it very frequently. Some dove over it deliberately and took umbrage when they were booted off. A harrasment campaign ensued and Spike, having his fill of the crap, pulled the whole shebang and there it went. POOF! The baby was tossed out with the bath water. We had a large prurient following of lurkers--we deserved it as we were just downright succinct and some of us were actually sorta vile and loathsome.

Not me however, I'm just a bowl of cherries ;-)

Posted by: mwoods (My Page) on Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 19:05

Weebus,we can talk politicis,religion etc. here and at the GP it's verboten. We can't discuss it however on the conversation side of this forum. I still tremble when I even think of typing the words...Bush. I keep thinking they'll come and get me if I do.

Posted by: bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 19:21

Are those Pit-ed cherries?

>We can't discuss it however on the conversation side of this forum.<

What is this referring to?

Posted by: malonanddonna z7 NC (My Page) on Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 20:06

>We can't discuss it however on the conversation side of this forum.<

What is this referring to?

OK bboy, you've asked this a couple of times so I'll step in to answer. If ou hit your back button and look at the space just above the first thread, you'll see a link to switch to the Conversations side of the forum. Not all of the forums have a Conversations link. It's meant to be a place for forum frequenters to have asides that don't directly relate to the topics being discussed.

Posted by: trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 20:45

No. I don't do Pit-Ed. I do Ag-Ed ;-)

Posted by: bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 21:05

Ohhh, that. I guess I thought it meant conversations as opposed to photos, not seeing that forums without galleries also had a conversations link.

Posted by: joule z7SC (My Page) on Fri, Feb 3, 06 at 14:31

We were shamless no? :)"

Here is a link that might be useful: This forum

o

So that was during the Bush years. How many of those topics were Bush slams compared to how many of our topics are Obama slams?

o

Count 'em up and report back, please ;-)

o

Weird to see the names of so many absented posters, some banned and more probably drop-aways.

o

I was sure HT started earlier than '06.

o

Yes, I remember protesting against starting a war in Iraq while defending the Afghanistan war.

o

Hmm, I thought the Iraq war was already going when HT started.

o

Maybe it did. My "campaign" was to highlight the cooked intelligence as reported by an Air Force colonel whose office was taken over and staffed with additional Cheney operatives. The colonel protested the product issued in the department's name and resigned her commission.

o

The colonel protested the product issued in the department's name and resigned her commission.

That can't be Ann Wright - she was in the Army.

Do you remember the name? I'd be interested in reading up on this colonel.

o

Better yet, here is one of Col. Karen Kwiatkowski PhD's summaries of the history of her experience.

Liberal Beware! Karen is a Libertarian of the Lew Rockwell/Mise Institute mold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warning Shots

o

Thanks, Marshall.

o

• Posted by rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 8:26

Thanks, Don Socal, and everyone else, for this trip down nostalgia lane. :) I've been with GW garden side from almost the beginning and, even if I didn't become a regular for long on any forum, I visited many and remember all these people.

Except Soils. Clearly I was mislead by the name, but who knew? Composting was child's play after someone gave me his old shredder--heap it in a wire cage and walk away. Couldn't imagine back then why people would waste a whole forum on that when they could be talking about old roses or learning the secret to growing sweet peas in Los Angeles. :)

o

Have you tried the Hosta Forum? Wild talk goes on there...

o

Interestingly, while many of the players have changed, the game remains the same...

o

I remember posting on Garden Party in 2000? when things got way hot, a lot of folks got sent to Disney, others walked off in a huff because they weren't happy with Spike and I think Hot Topics got started.

I still remember nearly choking on my tea several times laughing as I read perhaps one of longest, strangest and funniest Garden Party threads on of all topics "the smells and other sensory results after some else in your house spends a very long in the bathroom with the toilet." The exact title of the thread escapes me at the moment, but I especially remember the section discussing courtesy flushes like yesterday. A print out of that thread would make a best selling comedy book.

A much needed laugh memory today.

o

I remember posting on Garden Party in 2000? when things got way hot, a lot of folks got sent to Disney, others walked off in a huff because they weren't happy with Spike and I think Hot Topics got started.

I still remember nearly choking on my tea several times laughing as I read perhaps one of longest, strangest and funniest Garden Party threads on of all topics "the smells and other sensory results after some else in your house spends a very long in the bathroom with the toilet." The exact title of the thread escapes me at the moment, but I especially remember the section discussing courtesy flushes like yesterday. A print out of that thread would make a best selling comedy book.

A much needed laugh memory today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here