Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jupiter's Beard, white blooming

Posted by mylab123 z5NW (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 20:00

I love the deep hot pink Jupiter's Beard because it adds so much to my flower vases, flower arrangements taken from my cutting garden and roses and even sometimes stuck into the bloooms from my Incrediball white hydrangeas- flowers for cutting is why I began to grow plants, almost everything in my beds have flowers which I will cut for a vase. I try to have vases of flowers all over the house - including very small ones for the bathrooms, from spring to mid/late fall.

I would love to try the Jupiter's Beard which is white blooming which would be even much more versatile than the hot pink, really.

A couple of questions, I can't tell from the pitures I found on the internet - are the blooms on white Jupiter's Beard just like the deep hot pink blooms or do the blooms look a little different?

Does the plant flower and re-flower as easily as the deep pink Jupiter's Beard?

Another question please - if I plant some white blooming Jupiter's Beard near my hot pink bloomers, will the white take on a pink tinge or will the blooms remain true white?

I'm planning to order a seed packet this evening and am planning to experiment with a few of them to try to get a few started and get them into the ground to see if they will survive the winter - though I usually start my seeds in late March.

I appreciate any help or comments regarding this plant, thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jupiter's Beard, white blooming

I have a white Jupiter's Beard. It's a volunteer that is tough as nails. I haven't cut the flowers for a vase, so I don't know if it re-blooms after cutting.

o

I did not have any luck with white valerian / centranthus alba, but I was pushing the growing conditions; too much shade and lack of summer heat. I purchased the plant in a 4-inch pot, so no idea how it would have done grown from seed.

o

And now please get back to the usual madness here...

o

Oh, so very sorry! I went hunting in perennials AND annuals and couldn't find my question and wondered if I had posted it here accidently - I see I did - thanks anyway Nancy, I think I will order the seeds and give it a try in one of two tiny beds (shade and sun) I use for plant 'experiments'.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 15:26

I'm against it.

o

I have it. It behaves much the same as my other Jupiter's beard. The fact that it was white was a surprise to us and some of the flowers on that plant are pink, but most are white. I have never had any seedlings develop so I have no idea if it crosses or not.

o

I stopped growing Jupiter's Beard some years ago because the plant was too agressive/weedy although the white variety less so than the rose colored one.

o

I do know that is doesn't tolerate Roundup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here