Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boy Scouts to Allow Gay Scouts

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 21:47

But not gay leaders. Gee, isn't it hard enough to find leaders without saying no to some really great ones? ;)

Congratulations guys for moving into the real world at last.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boy Scouts to Allow Gay Scouts

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 23, 13 at 21:52

Well they're all pedophiles of course so we can't be sending our little boys out into the woods with gay adults.

Snort!

o

snort is right.

What I can't wrap my head around is it's gonna be OK to let openly gay boys become boy scouts, when these kids "grow up" and become adults, old enough to become scout leaders, they are no longer allowed to be within the Boy Scout membership.

Geez, don't these people realize that most boy scout leaders where actually boy scouts themselves once?

Hubby said he heard something on the news tonight, could be ABC news, some guy talking about this, disgusted and said something to the effect that this guy believed that gay kids grow up to be gay adults and therefore pedophiles. when is this insane belief going to end?

o

Pedophiles are neither homosexual or heterosexual. In fact, most studies have found fewer pedophiles in that group that considers themselves homosexual than in that group that considers themselves to be heterosexual even though they are actually neither. They are pedophiles.

Why can't people inform themselves.

o

Why can't people inform themselves.

Good question Mrskjun.

I would venture to guess, though, that it is much easier to perpetuate the false info as it keeps the followers in line, helps to support the false notions at how evil the homosexual community is and how they must be stopped from "taking over everything" IE giving them the same legal rights as heterosexuals.

Take away a fear and you weaken the beliefs.

o

Maybe they've realized that they've had gay boy scouts all along, and it was kind of foolish to pretend they didn't.

o

I was upstairs washing windows so turned on the rabid right wing local radio program where the host was waiting with bated breath for the announcement. He said it would come at 5 and then took calls which were 100% against it and the pedophilia card was played more than once. The wingnut host said nothing to correct them, but just before I finished the windows and turned it off, a caller said he was incensed by the hateful rhetoric about pedophilia. He said the same thing...there is NO evidence, educate yourself.

My son was a scout and one guy in his troop was gay and everyone knew it. He grew up to be a locally famous politician and was arrested in a sex sting(not involving children).

My dad was a life long scout leader and being the conservative Christian he was, he's probably rolling over in his grave about now. .

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 24, 13 at 2:56

"this guy believed that gay kids grow up to be gay adults".

Really? Wow. Did he figure this one out all by himself?

Snort, indeed.

o

This may be a strategy on their part to bring the organization along a little at a time...

o

I believe the vote yesterday was only on whether or not to admit gay boy scouts. There was no vote on gay leaders. They did not vote against gay leaders nor did they vote for gay leaders. The subject wasn't part of yesterday's meeting.

Hopefully it will be in the very near future. I suspect that like most large organizations, change is easier to accept if it comes slowly.

o

yesterday The American Family Association

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted their errr ummn reasons for remaining exclusive!~

reflecting on my own youth I would find it an absolute nightmare to be in association with any of these groups under thee conditions.
Curiously is it acknowledging a state of being in
pre pubecent children. Children certainly have had no problem calling this out for years they can often be very descerning.

The AFA & it's cohorts usually are speaking about active sexuality when they use the term HOMOSEXUAL. Are they acknowledging a state of being pre Eagle Scout?

Can a cub scout be homosexual without ever having had sex?

o

Well they didn't vote on gay leaders because they knew it wouldn't pass - that's what I heard.

Kudos to them for moving forward with this part.

o

Now, I was a girl scout, not a boy scout, but I don't remember ever discussing sex around the campfire or anywhere else in scouting, wonder if there is a badge for that. Have we moved from ghost stories to sex on camping trips for kids? And do they really think that talking about homosexuality is somehow going to "infect" their kid? Someone is doing a terrible job of informing. And I don't mean the kids. Maybe they aren't doing a good enough job of informing their parents.

o

Fri, May 24, 13 at 8:13

" wonder if there is a badge for that. "

Good one, Mrsk!!!!

And as you brought it up, wonder how the Girl Scouts are addressing this?

o

I do not believe that Girl Scouts in the US have a similar ban.

o

jlhug posted 'Hopefully it will be in the very near future. I suspect that like most large organizations, change is easier to accept if it comes slowly.'

That's what I suspect, after they allow gays in the membership, and realize that the entire group didn't get drafted, leadership positions will open up to everyone. Similar to gay marriage, I believe as more & more states pass legislation allowing equality to gays, the rest will follow (eventually. Some states will deny it much longer of course).

o

Mrs K it may not have been a pastime in Girl scouts but I have a distinct recollection of boys of a certain age continually trying to label or ferret out who was gay as a past time when things got dull. Just the word used usually wasn't "gay".
Now I've asked numerous acquaintances or been told by them that this indeed was quite common in their youth. City or buccolic (that kind of stuff never happens here land)
"I still think we are talking about Out or Outted Eagle Scouts"
Ah well here's to a happy child hood & adolescence!

o

Maybe that is true of Boy Scouts labrea. But do you think the kids today are probably more informed than kids of 20 years ago? And it's more likely their parents will have a problem with it than they will?

o

I don't care one way or the other...I look at every situation in life and assess the risks as to what we allow our kids to participate in. We didn't let our oldest parachute nor Ice climb when he was 16 because there was a needless risk, now driving to work is a necessity so we must drive on dangerous streets. This is just another decision parents will have to make.

o

While that entire list posted by Joe is ridiculous, #4 is especially ludicrous. Like heterosexual kids would never talk about sex around the campfire. What they really mean is they don't want their kids around "others". It has nothing to do with when they talk to them about sex.

I started a post on this a while ago. I suppose it is a small step in the right direction, but as I said in my original post, I don't consider it progress when they still exclude gay leaders.

Isn't the Girl Scouts a totally different organization? Not related to Boy Scouts? And doesn't have the same ban?

o

But do you think the kids today are probably more informed than kids of 20 years ago? And it's more likely their parents will have a problem with it than they will?

My daughter just finished high school. She was disappointed that so many kids take on the beliefs of their parents. It was especially true for politics (they are all little Obama hater copycats here), but it is also true for hard core prejudices like intolerance of other races and homosexuality.

It will be a while before we escape the prejudices of our parents. While kids may be 'more informed', they are not necessarily more tolerant.

o

It's a step in the right direction, but did not go far enough. I think most definitely the parents are the ones who are all huffy over this, not the younger generation. The kids I know are far, far less judgemental re race, sexuality, religion, politics than their elders. I guess we all have to be patient, as views slowly change and evolve.

o

Esh, although its true that kids do more often than not take on their parents belief system including political belief system and view of people in general, you might give her the hope that as the kids get further and further away from high school and have life experiences not at all connected with their parents, many often become their own person, separate and distinct from who it is their parents are.

Look at this group. How many ended up thinking, believing very similar to how their parents did?

Often, parents never realize just how differently from themselves their adult children end up thinking and believing.

o

You may be right Mrs K but I'm thinking the bar hasn't moved that far. "That's so gay" is still a favorite among a certain age set to describe something as uncool. It's not as hostile as some other expressions & in (some) Junior High & High Schools there are gay/straight student groups but Louisiana, Missouri North & South Dakota, West Virginia Michigan, Idaho, Wyoming, New Hampshire, Nevada Nebraska don't have any and as a nation we just came through a horrible period of bullying in Schools often because of suspected sexual preferences.
I know many of my friends are pleased with this development I'm just not experiencing a yippee moment with it!
Terms terms maybe it's all just terms homosexual/gay!
One is about behavior the other is about identity & possibly culture.
Well for those brave enough to pioneer in this area I wish them well!

o

as the kids get further and further away from high school and have life experiences not at all connected with their parents, many often become their own person, separate and distinct from who it is their parents are.

Yes, and that is what allows us to slowly but surely change. Thank goodness.

o

Still too many kids connect to the archaic thinking of their parents, particularly those who never leave their provincial towns and go off to college or university. The younger generation is way more liberal than our generation was in accepting kids of every persuasion ...black ,Asian, gay ...I know my philosophy could not be different than my parents.

o

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are indeed totally different organizations and the GS's have no such vote or ban.

so I wonder if the BS' are going to have a big vote on whether or not to 'allow' red headed boys-it makes just as much sense.

everything I have read from the naysayers is about morals since the bedrock of scoutiness is to be morally straight-OH, I get it now....cripes, it was in there the whole time-hah!

o

The tradition of kids learn hate form their parent does have some flaws. I think "Lord of The Fly's" was an interesting book and nearly everyone I knew in HS read it way back when but it does speak to the (subset of culture that is often tribal age oriented and sometimes unreachable) adolescents! It's curious & rare but the most mild mannered parents can produce psycho/social monsters)

o

I'm curious if this issue came up with the Girl Scouts of America. I don't recall hearing anything. I was a Brownie at age 7 and stayed a Scout till I was 13. Why aren't there parents trying to get lesbians removed from scouting?

o

"As a private organization, Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. respects the values and beliefs of each of its members and does not intrude into personal matters. Therefore, there are no membership policies on sexual preference."

I found that statement goes back to 1991 (no doubt made because the issue did come up) by searching around. It has been reinforced over the years.

I loved my Brownie and Girl Scout years. As Brownies our biggest wonderment was why some other girls were Job's Daughters.

o

Fri, May 24, 13 at 15:10

If we look at other great ape species when males dominate (chimpanzees) there is frequent conflict, infanticide etc. and when females band together to prevent male dominance (bonobos) there is instead lots of sex.

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, May 24, 13 at 15:11

o

Well, Bboy... I can't comment on the monkeys, but as someone who has spent a lot of time observing the interactions of a milking herd of cattle and their bull... the females certainly do dominate, and that poor guy spends the first week or so of his introduction to the herd being beat up, last to the feed bunk, last into the barn... and he learns his place, as that who keeps them happy. And they, the cows, are more than willing to try to keep each other happy, too. So, I would say when females band together, you are quite correct.

Dogs, too, dominate one another... with the females usually easily able to cow the males into complete submission, and the males accepting this role as they want the opportunity to mate.

For some reason, there seems to be much less of a distaste for lesbians without our society... and I do believe it has something to do with heterosexual males not always objecting to such interaction... as part of their fantasy worlds, perhaps? I really don't know.

But getting back to the OP... I find it completely unacceptable that total equality is not part of the Boy Scouts. Their current policy makes no rational sense.

o

The crazies around here are flooding the talk show lines screaming their protests quoting the Bible and lamenting. Next thing they said atheists will be admitted. Oh, the horror!!!

o

But getting back to the OP... I find it completely unacceptable that total equality is not part of the Boy Scouts. Their current policy makes no rational sense. .
I agree with you Jodik. It isn't good enough.

By continuing to discriminate this organization falls short of these "Values"

From the Boy Scout's of America......"Scouting is a values-based program with its own code of conduct. The Scout Oath and Law help instill the values of good conduct, respect for others, and honesty. Scouts learn skills that will last a lifetime, including basic outdoor skills, first aid, citizenship skills, leadership skills, and how to get along with others. For almost a century, Scouting has instilled in young men the values and knowledge that they will need to become leaders in their communities and country."

o

Yep Bonobos do a lot of genital soothing as a way of reducing social stress! Some children do this also & then grow up thinking they were being sexual when actually they were simply engaging in soothing behaviors that used genitals.
Children put dirt & clay & other objects i their mouths but that doesn't make it nutrition. Some children reduce stress or act out using the genitals & it's not sex!

o

I also agree with you Jodi. I wonder if this is due to a level of ignorant fear (gay scout leader might try to have sex with my teenage son) or perhaps it was decided to do this in increments in order to allow those unhappy with the decision to get used to the idea.

Both are horrible reasons. The first, because it is SO unlikely to happen because of background checking that should take place, but if it does happen, it probably occur less often than in other organizations the child is active in, including church sadly enough.

I do get very tired of hearing the second reason applied.

Are so many Americans still so child-like that they require excessive amounts of coddling in the face of what to them is uncomfortable change- coddling at other American's expense?
I believe the population of homosexuals have had to wait to live freely long enough. Our society made it difficult enough to come out of the closet, now we need to let them out of the house! (So to speak)
Other countries have managed to grow up about issues regarding their gay citizens, its time we do too without the histrionics that we tend to display in the face of change regarding gays.

Parents would actually yank their kids out of an organization the child has enjoyed so very much due to this decision? That is IMO completely self indulgent.
This is supposed to be all about their child and his love for the boy scouts organization -not about the parents and their temper tantrum at being denied the decision they wanted.

o

Each can have their own opinion.....we make our decisions based on a book that has 66 chapters and that has the family unit, mother and father as part of the tenants to a stable successful up bringing of children. Now if someone else feels different then they have that right, but we also have the right to form our own organizations. We did this with schooling (private) baseball ect,....to each their own Im not going to talk against gays, just give me the same respect and don't try and force me to be involved with people I don't agree with.

Have a nice day and be kind to one another.

o

"Now if someone else feels different then they have that right, but we also have the right to form our own organizations"

No one is stopping you.

I don't see that anyone is trying to "force" you to be "involved with people" that you don't agree with.

o

And the Family Life Merit Badge (for intolerance) goes to...

There is such a thing, I looked it up. Wouldn't life be a bit bland without differences of opinion?

o

Sat, May 25, 13 at 8:30

I get it c6-zr1. Live and let live, I"m all for it.

But I hope you're prepared to check out the sexual preferences of every single person you kid comes into contact with: the banker, store clerk, shoe salesman, nurse, pilot, teacher, doctor, mail carrier, football coach, choir director, librarian, on and on. Not to mention any neighbors, co-workers, and each and every parent of any of their friends, etc.
Go ahead, ask each and every person your kid has social/school/public service contact with. First and foremost, before you even know their name, ask them who they like to sleep with. Then you can decide whether you want your child knowing them or having any interaction with them.

Please, especially do this with those who are trying to help you or even save your lives: police, fire fighters, EMT's, 911 operators, traffic guards. It's your right, too.

Not being "forced" to be involved with people you "don't agree with" is your right, of course. You don't want you, or your kids, to have any contact or know or even know of any gay people? Ok.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like, if I had a little card printed up. When I help a child or elderly one across the street, when some lady's bag breaks and I help her pick up her oranges, when I give directions to tourists, let someone with a few items in front of me at the store, or chase after a hat blown off - you know the daily life of a good neighbor and citizen.

The little card would read: "You have been helped by a lesbian. Say thank you and get over it"

Have a nice day and be kind to one another.

o

Excellent, Batya!

o

Well said, Batya... I was raised in a household rife with certain prejudices of the past... but when I entered the real world, I found that people are just people, regardless of ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any of the other things that make us all unique individuals... and yet, things we were taught as youths to avoid. Somewhere along the generational lines, these prejudices and the misinformation must be stopped... and we taught our children that people are people, and that everyone has basically the same needs, hopes, and dreams for a decent future... so we never judge a book by its cover, but rather try to imagine what life might be like walking in their shoes.

Speaking of such natural soothing, Joe... I notice it has become an action of great fear among parents who, without reason, assume this is sexual in nature and means their child is being molested by a family member, spouse, or some other family friend.

As I believe I've mentioned, my husband has the tv on in the background while working, and the usual daytime options are "talk" shows, such as Maury Povich, Steve Wilcos, etc... and I'm shocked at the number of parents who have each other take lie detector tests because they're positive their child is being touched in a bad way, having witnessed this kind of action by their toddlers... when in reality, there's no medical evidence of molestation, and one divorced parent simply wants to get back at the other... or it's done out of ignorance.

I need to make a correction regarding my last post... toward the bottom, the line should read "For some reason, there seems to be much less of a distaste for lesbians withIN our society..." It should not have read "without". Thank you.

I think there's a huge difference between "not agreeing" and carrying around a misinformed interpretation. Before forming opinions, I try to gather all the facts together so that my opinion will be an informed one... and not one of ignorance and second hand, he said-she said misinformation and fallacy.

o

As well as questioning all the people Batya mentioned about their sexuality, don't forget to question your son's friends.

And your son, himself.

You can't create your own personal gated world with the rules you, yourself need to be enforced in order to be content, you must find a way live and let live in the world that exists and always has.

o

Batya, great post! We need to focus on people as citizens of our planet, with what we have in common, not what separates us.

I don't get the Fundamentalist Christians who constantly judge and condemn the "other". I want to shake them up and make them get a reality check. Inwardly, I tell them: "Get used to the real world; "they" are all around you."

o

Watch out, Woodnymph... you might be interpreted as hating all christians. ;-)

As more and more lgbt persons feel comfortable enough to come "out", I wonder what the response will be from the opposing or uninformed side of the fence?

With the high number of mammals that naturally display homosexuality within their ranks, how will this be dealt with in some minds, I wonder?

I'm waiting for the article to be published in which some anti-gay politician openly states that the US should build a special reservation for these "abominations" and fence them all in.

Since the private life or marriage of one person does not affect anyone else, I do not understand the hatred, the violence, the discrimination... and I hope the ignorance falls away quickly. Nothing less than equal legal rights can be tolerated.

o

Great post, Batya--thanks for sharing it.

As for BSA, their decision is spineless and just as homophobic as the earlier ban on homosexual members. The continuing ban on gay adults in the scouts is hardly "progress."

o

I'm actually amazed that such an organization, when placed in the spotlight they're in, hasn't done more in the self-education department.

o

Here in Philly, Jodi, a lot of the crowing about how open-minded the BSA has suddenly become is a mask to cover the fact that local scouts have been the benficiaries of rent-free accommodations in a public-owned building on a the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, a prime location that any visitor to this city cannot miss. It's all about the money and the suggestion that Philly supports the BSA's principles. The "change" as it applies to Philly is pragmatic, not philosophical.

o

This is the reaction from the AFA's Bryan Fischer ...

"Admitting that he was shocked by the vote since he was positive that it was going to be retained, Fischer declared that the BSA should change its name to the "Boy Sodomizers of America." Fischer eventually read a passage from the Book of Luke in which Jesus says it is better to have a stone tied around ones neck and be tossed into the sea than to lead a child to sin as a warning to BSA leaders that they will face the judgment of God for endorsing this change in policy."

Here is a link that might be useful: Gasket Blowing... though oddly silent through the abuse phase earlier...

o

This is all baloney. The BSA is doing this because they are losing membership and they are losing decades-old access to state and municipal properties. It's all about the money. I have no doubt they will (in an underhanded way) weed out the undesirables.

Years ago the intentions of this organization may have been admirable. Today it is corrupt and rotten.

-Ron-

o

How can scouting be considered such a danger when people vie to send their sons to boarding schools?

I am a lot more concerned about today's middle schoolers who are engaging in sex acts -- regardless of genders involved. Why scapegoat gays when this is rampant?

Are there any parents 'on duty' today? Nobody 'home'? It's all up to 'Society' (or scout leaders or teachers) to manage?

o

Ron, I know you are right. The situation in Philly has had everything to do with money and free rent and nothing to do with principles of justice or fairness.

o

Chisue, I would agree with you... I often wonder the same thing. Are parents not paying attention, allowing technology to raise their children? What's going on in regards to the home front?

Scapegoat is right... I don't know what's wrong with people these days... need someone to blame, grab the first prejudice one can think of and run with it, or what?

Isn't practically everything about money these days in some underlying way, though, Ron? Those money trails crisscross and run for miles, it sure seems, though not always on the surface... but when one follows them, they always lead somewhere... interesting?

I just don't understand the stance when there's absolutely no reason for such ignorance or discrimination.

o

Sun, May 26, 13 at 18:59

We are great apes and so are chimps, bonobos etc. - genetic differences between us are very small. We are not monkeys, what monkeys do is not as pertinent - they don't even have a sense of self, as with most other animals you can present a monkey with a mirror and it will never understand what it is seeing.

o

"Fischer declared that the BSA should change its name to the "Boy Sodomizers of America."

That's harsh. I sometimes wonder if people who rant like that are projecting.

o

Well said Bboy & Batya!
In The case of Bryan Fischer Elvis he's merely feeding his loyal flock.
I can't imagine the stress I would be experiencing right now as a boy in the scouts, feeling quite unsafe, in an encompassing spotlight, possibly looking for a corner to crawl into.
Adolescence is already a wild time for anyone with social & family approval

o

Speaking of other animals and the way in which humankind is capable of treating one another and other animals... did anyone happen to catch Animal Planet's two part showing of the discoveries made under the ocean? Referencing the evidence that there is (or might be) a humanoid creature still living in the depths, migrating with whales and dolphins?

It was quite interesting, and it reminded me greatly that if we can't even treat our own species as equals, how would we receive the news that there is evidence that another hominid existed, but evolved to live closer to its own food source, in the ocean?

I know this belongs in a thread of its own, but Bboy's reference to monkeys reminded me, and I figured I'd better get the thought out while I still remembered!

o

batya - your post on Sat, May 25, 13 at 8:30 was just wonderful. Thank you!

Isn't it amazing the attitudes some people still have? Until that is, they find out that someone they are very close to, perhaps their own child, is homosexual. Then they often do a 180. Like we've seen with some politicians.

It's just amazing to me the fear some people live with and try to pass on to their children. Very, very sad.

o

From the article...

"Could it be that we, as a community, have suffered such oppression that we’re sometimes willing to congratulate an historically discriminatory organization for any small crumbs of acceptance it throws our way… and to declare victory when that organization says it will put its discrimination on hold until we turn 18?!"

There's no victory without total equality across the board. Why does age have any place in this, at all?

Here is a link that might be useful: No Victory...

o

There's no victory without total equality across the board. Why does age have any place in this, at all?

Perfectly stated Jodik.

The absurdity of the idea that 17 is OK, and 18 is a problem is to absurd to even think about.

Victory for kids? It's a hollow victory, if that. To think that age determines whether one can be a member of the Boy Scouts if they are gay.

If my son was gay and wanted to be part of the Boy Scouts, I would do everything I could to discourage him from being part of such a bigoted homophobic organization.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't have had to bother to try since my 35 year old son had no interest in being a Boy Scout, because his friend wasn't allowed to join, his friend was an atheist and he wouldn't say the pledge.

My son, at Cub Scout age, called them "people haters".

Can't even begin to imagine what he might have called them if he was aware of the issues of gays in the Boy Scouts at that time.

o

If my son was gay and wanted to be part of the Boy Scouts, I would do everything I could to discourage him from being part of such a bigoted homophobic organization.

I would do the same whether my son was gay or not gay. I discourage joining any organization that discriminates. Period. Private organizations have the right to do that and I have the right to not join and discourage my children from joining. In fact, I would not give an organization that discriminates my money, so if my kid still wanted to join after hearing why I won't pay for it, they'd have to figure out a way to pay for it themselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here