Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rotten GOP politics

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 2:06

At the gym tonight I saw Erin Burnett present a story about the head of the PA Senate listing reasons to be optimistic. I can't remember the first two ,but the third was requiring an ID to vote will give the election to Romney, and they all laughed and clapped. Apparently in the swing states, this is now the rule passed by the right wing who can't fairly win an election. The elderly and inner city people do NOT have IDs, so they will need to find their birth certificates, and then pay $13.50 to get an ID picture taken.

When I got home , the Ed show was talking specially about this. I don't know where the ACLU is, but this is unconstitutional, and disenfranchising a huge portion of our citizens. I'll tell you if it were the other way around the Righties would be screaming their heads off.

Imagine an elderly black woman living in the inner city with no transportation..for her just to make it to the polling place would be difficult enough , but who will be going to these extremes to vote? It's barbaric but it's the only way the GOP can win with their pathetic candidate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rotten GOP politics

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 6:25

That elderly lady will not only vote, she may surprise you and be a poll worker. I lived in the inner city for 40 years and yes Virginia "they" vote, and are more aware of what is going on and why then you give them credit for.

You do know that they have polling places in the big bad scary hood right?

Morning Glories :)

o

All but 19 states already have voter ID laws and the Supreme Court has already ruled it constitutional.

o

Anyone who truly wants to vote...will vote...even those in the hood.

o

For every one active elderly person there are 50 that are not active, do not have transportation to get the needed info, or the extra money to pay for an ID.

They interviewed a vet that had served this country that was not going to be able to vote. Financially, disabled, and sick were big road blocks he could not endure. He should not have to he served to protect this country.

Students that only have enough to pay for education and a bag of chips for lunch. Because the only photo ID they have is their student ID. In Texas student ID is invalid but a gun license is valid ID.

The worst part of the law is they planned and admit that they know by doing this would help them get elected is the real issue. That you plan to set up a system to stop the people that you think will vote Democrat so you can win.

Many things are developing that even people that are Conservative are saying they will vote for another party to attempt to make up for the injustice of trying to stop their parents from voting.

They are waking up the sleeping giant. You do not piss off old people. They have lived to be old and some just getting up and doing their normal daily necessary survival duties is difficult. When you make them have to go out and find transportation to get birth certificate, then another agency to have their picture taken, and spend their money to vote. That is two trips and money they did not want to spend. They will get even.

It will be that bleeding heart Liberal that will take them to get the needed info because the Conservative bible toting sweet little hearts think......"Well where is their personal responsibility?" "If they want to vote they will vote." That is funny.

Some people do not realize when you do things that are wrong you pay for your misdeeds.

o

Tell me, in the 31 states that require voter ID, how has it affected the number of people who get out and vote?

o

I need an ID to vote in NY. I have no idea why The GOP majority leader in PA was being such an ass about it being a big deal if it's not.
It's a snippet listen and wonder at why he thinks it was important.
I truly hopwe it backfires and brings out those lie me who were not going to vote but are sooooo pissed at the overal GOP that we might even give money again soo pissed!

Here is a link that might be useful: WHY

o

mrskjun, the obvious question is WHY create a problem for seniors, disabled vets, college students. These are the targets. Ask yourself if this sounds right to you.

Not does it affect the election look at it as humanitarian vs politics. You seem to be trying to figure out how do I make this look like it is okay. You know in your heart if you were honest if President Obama did this you would be trying to chew off your arm with anger.

o

marquest, why? I present my voter ID every time I go to vote, always have.

Again I ask, where is the evidence that voting is suppressed in the 31 states that require voter ID? Studies so far have shown no difference in turnout.

And, are you saying that in those states where a democratic legislature enacted the voter ID requirement, it was because they wanted to disenfranchise republican voters?

o

Mrs K we got it states require ID that's why I posted what I posted my question is why is the guy being a jerk then about it if it's the norm or won't affect anything? Now think about possibilities of whats gotten this guy assured this matter in PA an not elsewhere? Think hard maybe just maybe as a republican you can come up with something I can't seem to get to because I have always needed an ID to vote. This guy thinks that the CHANGE in PA will mean something different.

o

labrea I don't have that answer. Why is this administration fighting so hard to keep more states from requiring voter ID? They have to be aware of what the studies have found as well.

o

Every state voter ID is different. Some say it can be a gun license, school ID, driver's license etc.

They are making it difficult by specifying it has to be a certain ID that will cost a segment of the population elderly, students, low income, etc.

Again like I said Ms you can see all kind of negative theories with Democrat laws but you have someone actually tell you that it helps them win elections and you still try to say "What is wrong with the law?" Really????

He told you what is wrong with the law they are suppressing the vote so their candidate can win. How clear is that?

o

"For every one active elderly person there are 50 that are not active, do not have transportation to get the needed info, or the extra money to pay for an ID."

There are still lots of elderly people who never had a driver's license or a credit card (or not a current driver's license and/or credit card), who can't see well, and/or don't hear very well. They may not be able to get around without a walker or wheelchair. Now we want to herd them to crowded Motor Vehicle departments so they can wait in long lines to satisfy someone's exercise in vanity.

Then, you have places with governors - like Eliot Spitzer -- who issued drivers licenses to 26,000 undocumented immigrants without regard to their immigration status. They didn't have to show a visa or a green card. Now they have all the ID they need to legally register to vote. Call him Client 9 or call him Idiot Spitzer, but whatever you call him, he was an abortion at the gene stage.

o

The OP was about a politician making a statement & the reaction by the faithful to that statement.
It's not news as MrsK indicated that many states already have ID laws.
Stating the obvious as a response to the post and then trying to derail it seems to be the norm.
This guys excited about the fact would you venture even a guess K that it has something to do with it's the first(clue clue). Deflect away!

o

More honking.

o

I present my voter ID every time I go to vote, always have.

They issue voter id cards in my State but they do not use them at the polls. Last time I voted and showed my voter id card they told me they do not use those at the polls.
When I chose a Democratic ballot in the primary, they had me pull my Driver's License, compared my signature to it (despite the photo ID) and harassed me....and I am white.

Voter suppression remains a big problem and Republicans want to make it worse.

o

Voter suppression is a must for the GOP if they want their lame pathetic guy to win. They're pulling out all the stops. We already lost an election , or rather it was gifted to the GOP by the Supremes in 2000, from the evil powers at the GOP at work.

I NEVER show ID when I vote. Probably initially I did when I moved to this precinct 30 years ago, but every election since and I vote in them all, my signature beside my last signature is all that is needed.

Out Right wing total failure as a Governor was attorney general for eight years. They uncovered eight voter fraud cases in eight years.

o

Again, I am going to say that if all this is true, then you have a MUCH bigger problem going on than just the voter ID issue.

The REAL underlying problem is that you have people without any valid form of identification proving who they are or that they even exist. This is a huge problem that goes WAY beyond voting.

What about getting a job without ID? What about proving who you are in order to get medicare? What happens if a long lost relative leaves you money in their will and you can't even prove that you are the person who will inherit?

The FIRST step that needs to be taken is for government and public agencies to move through every city and town, knocking on doors, identifying people too poor, elderly, or incapable of collecting together their identification papers, and to work on having EVERY PERSON IN THE COUNTRY get valid identification in their possession. Birth certificates, Social Security Numbers, driver`s licences, baptismal certificates, State ID's... at least 3 pieces if identification per person.

People need these things... not just for voting. Voting is the least of their problems. They need to prove WHO THEY ARE! Time to get on it, people!

o

Hamilton, I completely agree. It's not just about voting.

o

Not only is the GOP trying to disenfranchise voters, they are trying to intimidate them also. When Wisconsin passed this law, they did a survey of those who volunteer as poll workers. Many said they wouldn't volunteer any longer if they were forced to make a person show a litany of ID's, pay stubs, personal bills, etc.

I'm much, much more concerned with electoral fraud but I'm sure the GOP won't touch that. The GOP has pretty much turned into a desperate, corrupt excuse of a party. Fortunately, they can't stop the shifting demographics.

-Ron-

o

It is believed that perhaps 7% of citizens do not have some form of ID. Very hard to believe in this day and age when an ID is required for almost everything. But you are so right hg. How does one apply for medicare, social security. One cannot cash a check without ID, voting is probably the least of someones worries. Almost impossible to exist without some form of ID.

o
Identification

Hamilton, I completely agree. It's not just about voting.

When thinking about how often identification comes into play in so many aspects of my own life, I shudder to think what a struggle it must be for someone with no ID to carry out different aspects of their life.

No Driver's licence severely limits your ability to accomplish tasks or hold a job. No SSN means no job at all. No birth certificate means you can't prove who you are, your citizenship etc. How can you apply for social benefits? If Jane Smith owns this house, how can you prove that you are Jane Smith and you are not trespassing? How do you prove you are Johnny White's father and not some kidnapper?

o

I'm sure everyone has some form of ID but it's just the PHOTO ID which is a problem. If I didn't have a driver license, how would I prove who I was? My library card?

I agree Hamilton with what you say. Since I'm not poor living in the inner city, and have had a drivers license since I was 16, I don't know HOW people cash checks and do other business. I know when I was heir to my aunt's estate, I needed a photo ID. But to expect these people many who are elderly to fork out $13.50 for a photo ID JUST to vote will mean most won't.

OM..I also heard last night that Ohio was going to let people pre- vote a few days before the election but the GOP shot that down because they were afraid people, especially blacks, would leave church en masse on Sunday and head to the polls. Maybe you know if this is true.

o

"I need an ID to vote in NY. I have no idea why The GOP majority leader in PA was being such an ass about it being a big deal if it's not."

I've never had to show an ID to vote. You tell them your name, they look you up in a book, you sign on the line, the inspectors compare your signature to previous years' signatures, and you get a ballot if everything is kosher.

Of course, I live in a small town where chances are that you know someone who is there, and they know you.

o

I go on-line and request an absentee ballot from the Los Angeles County Registrar of Voters. No ID needed, and I mail the ballot so it arrives before election day. If there's not enough time, I personally deliver my ballot to my polling place. No questions asked.

o

I vote in every election. Here in San Diego we get our ballots about three weeks before the election. I mail mine in the next day.

-Ron-

o

Some form of ID is not alwasy the ID required at a voting booth. I have no problem with states requiring ID'S I jsut wonder at the glee engaged in that this is a tactic that will put them over the top.

o

With only 7% of the population not having ID and only 50 to 60% of registered voters even voting it makes one wonder at the number of so called disenfranchised voters if ID is required in the 19 states that don't now require IDs.

o

It was Pennsylvania want wit Mike Tarzai - his first two were Second Amendment and abortion legislation. This gaff was the first "admission" the voter ID business was politically motivated and not to curb the virtually non-existent voter fraud.

I've never had to show ID to vote here - or Maryland either. Election worker finds my name/address on the roster, I sign on the line, and someone at the next table hands me a ballot.

It wasn't all that long ago, but I really don't recall having to show documents when I applied in person for Medicare and SS. I had an embossed birth cert., SS card, driver's licence ,etc. with me, but I really don't think I was asked to produce them. I could be way wrong though.

o

ID is not a need for most things. I have not had to show my ID in 20 years. The poll workers know me but if my Mom was still alive it would be a hardship.

She was delivered by a mid-wife in Atlanta. She did drive when she married and moved to the Big City but all she used to get by was her baptism certificate in her later life.

o

I have just gone through the medicare and SS process in the last month.
I did it online.
They required no identification. All they needed was my SS number. They also required proof that I had been insured until the time medicare kicked in.

I have never needed identification to vote, although that will probably change soon since I live in such a right wing state.

o

Georgia requires ID and I do have to show it.

o

Live in New York and have never shown an ID to vote.

o

No ID showing in my small town--but they know me. Mom will be 90 in July and she has photo ID--easy to get, no hardship. She was born in a house in 1922. She has always felt having ID was a responsible thing to do. She is right.

o

When I lived in VA I was issued a special voter registration card which I always used to bring with me. At that time, I had a drivers license for back up.

Having moved to SC, I no longer have a drivers license but was required to get a picture ID card, which I must use when I write a check anywhere here. In order to get the ID, I had to bring birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree copy, record of current address, record of all previous surnames. I was told by the SC authorities that because I had moved from another state and because of the crackdown since 9-11, stricter rules were in place. Thus, they would not just accept my social security number and trace it through the system via computer. Luckily I had saved all the required documents, but I had to pity those who relocated here who had not.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 9:43

The GOP's next move will be a personal bar code tattoo to vote.

o
RE*: Rotten GOP politics

The Biblical "mark of the Beast"? LOL.

o
RE: Rotten GOP politics, to the peach core

Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 9:57

...The GOP could always demand the use of purple finger dipping ink.
...I know which finger I'd use.

o

We have a system where, if you don't have a photo id, you can show bills and receipts for gas, electricity, taxes, rent, etc. to prove residency and eligibility.

Which seems to work just fine.

What our AG is trying to do is something with mail-in ballots. We can sign up for mail-in only, a great thing for those whose health, work schedule/hours etc. make it difficult to get to the polling places. So the AG has dictated that if you didn't vote in the last, major (every two years, not the piddly local stuff) election, you're ballot won't be sent next election. Unless you go back in and re-register.

So that means if I'm fed up with both candidates and chose to withhold my vote as a protest, I will then have to re-register to vote the next time. Given that my right to vote is a sacred part of the Constitution, why should I have to do that?

o

I wonder what kind of 'voter ID' Lydia Chapin Taft was required to use.

I wonder what kind of 'voter ID' all of those hundreds of millions of voters had to use to vote all these past 200 years.

Maybe we should just go back as it originally was and have only white males over a certain age, who owned land the right to vote.

Less government interference except when it benefits your party.

-Ron-

o

We have a system where, if you don't have a photo id, you can show bills and receipts for gas, electricity, taxes, rent, etc. to prove residency and eligibility.

We have the same. But we do need to show photo ID for health care and in doctor's offices the last couple years to make sure we are the actual policy holders.

o

>> The GOP could always demand the use of purple finger dipping ink.
...I know which finger I'd use. <<

vgkg, I've been meaning to let you know that I always enjoy your very clever and witty posts. Not to mention the sentiment behind them ;)

You're funny!

Thanks,
Sea

o

Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 10:44

Funny?....I'm serious ;)

o

No one's brought up the "mandatory" RFID chip (scheduled for 3/23/2013) supposedly on pp. 1000-1008 of the healthcare document. Not only a link to our medical records but to our financial records as well. Oh, and a general tracking device. Job killer - all the private detectives looking for cheating spouses will become redundant.

Chip's probably a good thing for those of us who don't want our perfect epidermal layer marred by a barcode tattoo. LOL

No amount of debunking seems to put some things to rest. Just have to deal with stupid since you can't cure it.

Pp. 1000- 8 does put forth the proposed creation of a national registry of implants (pacemakers dental implants etc..) for quality control purposes. Still not mandatory, apparently. I'd probably go for it; if I had a pacemaker and it suddenly started opening garage doors up and down the block.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here