Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherrio ad

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 3:15

I'm not sure if this ad is running on TV or just online. There's this precocious mixed race little girl asking her white mother about heart health, and her mother explains. Then the little girl runs over to her sleeping black father and pours Cherrios around his heart. He wakes up surprised.

For a commercial it was well done ,but the company got such nasty negative racist feedback , they had to yank the comment section, it was so vile. I'm not sure they didn't pull the ad as well. Maybe running it online was a test to see how it would play on TV. Apparently not so well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherrio ad

That'd be Cheerios :>;

Here is a link that might be useful: The Ad

o

Cute ad. The little girl looks a lot like my cousin's granddaughter at that age.

I guess ignorance lives on.

My niece briefly dated the son of a Mi Supreme Court Justice who was African American, and they went to the senior prom together. My reaction, and this will make me sound really shallow - I didn't give a rat's behind what color the kid was, he was very well connected in society, so I was all for it. Of course, like most high school relationships, it didn't last long.

Hard to believe in 2013 that ad would raise eyebrows. De nada ... Corporate America, for all of its many flaws, has been a champion of equality for the most part.

o

I'm sorry they yanked it. We need to stand up to racists and not let them run the world on their terms.

o

lily316, we live in such busy times that we have no time.
Children have an endearing trait to take the spoken word literally and express themselves without restraint.
My best example was a four year old asking, "What's that?" - pointing to the rice fields we were driving through.
"That's rice!" was my reflex retort.
Half a minute later he asserted, "That's not rice! Rice is white!"
And then, as they grow up, we command them to "sit down and shut up". Later they learn about political correctness and are afraid to say "Mary had a little lamb."
Because they might be accused of bestiality, cruelty to animals - from pet lovers and vegetarians etc. etc.
And we adults are solely responsible for that.

o

I saw the ad on tv. Adorable little girl, and I'd be really upset if Cheerios pulled the ad.

o

Great ad! The little girl is adorable (sorry for copying you MrsKjun but she is adorable). Love the ending.

I really hope that the ad runs often and on all stations.

o

Whoops, I misread the OP and thought that the ad was yanked and not just the comments section.

ronalawn, I'm not sure if I follow your logic. I know about children being literal, but what has that to do with racism? I'm not being critical, just don't know quite what you mean.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 7:31

My own children look/ed like that sweet little girl and I feel sorry for people who feel threatened by "others", whether it is because the way they look or the way they worship. How many awful things have we all read right here on HT about "others".

Someone said on another thread that we should "think" before we speak/write.

I agree ... and now I am off to "get my prayer on" :)

Have a wonderful day ...

o

How stupid to yank the ad. People who post hateful stuff like that in the comments are rarely the type of people who will actually try to empower themselves with something like a boycott that would affect Cheerios bottom line.

Just play the ad, and let the racists comment if they want to. Bandwidth lasts forever ... they are only hurting themselves.

o

My husband saw that ad and commented to me on what a cute ad it was. I hope that General Mills does not cave and pull the ad.

~ann

o

The ad is still running. I saw it last night.

The comments have been closed in YouTube. They were hateful, disgusting, racist.

Some people think that the apparent anonymity of the Internet gives them the right to post anything that comes into their cesspool of a mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

This post was edited by momj47 on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 10:02

o

From CTVNews... "despite the racial backlash, General Mills said they are standing by their ad. "At Cheerios, we know there are many kinds of families and we celebrate them all," Camille Gibson, the cereal brand’s vice president of marketing, said.

The ad was created by Saatchi and Saatchi who's motto is "Nothing is Impossible". And General Mills went on to say they're not considering pulling the ad - many consumers have responded favorably.

o

This is a cute little advertising story, another play on the exaggerated claim that the product is good for your heart. That's not 'untrue', but you'd be healthier and wealthier eating oatmeal. Cheerios are mostly air and cost almost as much as hamburger, pound for pound.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 10:26

Stupid bigots like this probably get bent out of shape over Count Chocula commercials too.

o

I saw that ad this morning..I thought it was cute.Anyone taking offense at something like this needs to get a life & stop looking for small stuff to beetch about.
Rose

o

What, are we moving backwards as human beings? I had thought we were gaining some ground... toward acceptance and equality.

o

We have several relatives with kids that will only eat Cheerios and knock-off brands with tons of sugar and/or chocolate milk (sometimes syrup), so they're not a very healthy option.

They're very expensive @ around $3 per pound, much more expensive than boneless/skinless chicken breast @ $1.99 a pound.

Even many of the knock-offs run in the mid $2 per pound range.

o

But, chisue, the thrust here isn't any truth in advertising (if it were, are Lucky Charms really "magically delicious"?) It's the inability for some to accept the reality that family make up is diversified and deserves a fair representation in advertising as well as every place else.

o

Lucky Charms better be Magically Delicious @ $3.50 to $5 per pound...

o

Walk up and down the cereal aisles - most, if not all of it is pricey; most of it is garbage. I eat cereal pretty much every day and switch off between the large biscuit shredded wheat, oatmeal, and Cream of Wheat which has featured the avuncular African-American chef on its boxes since 1893.

You can keep the nuts and grains, bark and twig types.

o

I'll pass on them all... but root for total equality.

I can't eat processed chemicals, sugars, GMO grain, or cellulose... or anything else not natural. Sugared cereals are anything but natural.

o

Thank you Shak for providing the link. I just remembered I didn't when I woke up today. Long day yesterday.

I wanted to take that little girl and give her a big squeeze. Was she adorable , or what? Little Shirley Temple. I TOTALLY commend General Mills, and many kind comments I read said they were going out specifically to buy the product. This reminded me of the million moms who were going to boycott Penney's because Ellen was a spokesperson. Gasp! I doubt there's a better liked person on TV than Ellen.

I am so sad that the country is still so backward , but more than that I simply never in my little sheltered life knew this kind of extreme hate and vitriol existed in 2013.

Yesterday on FB someone put the subject "America hates Obama" in which they trash him , Michelle, and the their girls in the most filthy language it would make your hair stand up. Some were threatening to put a bullet in both their faces.. I not only blocked this heinous group , I reported them to the powers that be on FB. Told you I live a sheltered life. Some of the comments might get the FBI to their homes, it was that bad.

o

"Then the little girl runs over to her sleeping black father and pours Cherrios around his heart."

The idea is cute. But I'm the thrifty type, so I'd probably gather the Cheerios up and have her snack on them later. Don't like waste...

o

Ah, this will all backfire on the racists. When the story goes viral and hits the headlines, General Mills will get a lot of free publicity and good will, and the vast majority of people will disregard the cranks for what they are.

o

At first while reading this I'd gotten the impression that GM has pulled the ad...which to me said that there were enough racists in their market that in order to keep their money coming they'd have had to pull it.

Hearing now that the ad is still running(I don't watch tv)gives me hope that we as a nation are on the threshold of finally pulling our heads out of our tail ends.

*crosses fingers

o

LOL, just got your play on the title.
It would never occur to me to attack the "family" in this ad. I'm with others on the pull at the heartstrings to buy the product and the kid wasting half a box of Cheerios kind of irks me a bit.
Hopefully, in the future, there will be a much wider acceptance of mixed coupling.

o

denni, I think you are right--seems like being anti-racist is actually good for business.

o

Kids wasting stuff and making messes has been an advertising mainstay since just about forever. Look at the ads for paper towels.

o

Which is exactly why more and more of these hate groups are forming more forums online to spew their hateful rhetoric.

I remember last summer when the Chick-fil-a came out with an inflammatory statement about gays, and on one of the hottest sweltering days here, the lines in mid afternoon were wrapped around and around the restaurant to show support. Ambulances were there because people were having heat strokes. What's THAT tell you? Some were carrying bibles. Most all had little kids with them coming out to support the restaurant and their anti gay message and also showing their kids that bigotry rules....despite the fact we're carrying bibles.

o

duluthinbloomz4, I know. At least it isn't as bad as the infomercials that advertise how useless we people are - trying to untangle a hose, pour laundry detergent, slice something with the wrong utensil, and on and on. I just feel like complaining, lol.
Still, good looking family but I'm not into cutesy (made up word?). Plus I used to work for an advertising agency and got over their intentions long ago so I guess I am jaded at this point in the game.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 15:20

Motivated by emotion rather than understanding - you can often make bible passages out to mean what you want them to.

o

"denni, I think you are right--seems like being anti-racist is actually good for business."

Of course it is. Unless you are trying to sell sheets to the Klan.

o

The ad is still running here. I thought it clever. I can't believe that in the America of 2013 there are still so many overt bigots. What will it take to halt the backward drift in this nation?

FWIW, I never eat those cereals of any sort: loaded with artificial items, empty calories and way too much sugar. When I do eat American breakfast food, I go for oatmeal.

o

Oatmeal is a staple here, too! Non-GMO, whole grain, oatmeal.

o

lily316, to answer a question by pidge; I was not trying to be logical. Indeed, for me the post was was quite emotional - nostalgically so. I looked at the video and recalled a Bank of America ad in which a little girl worried that her mom's cell phone would transmit a lion to the bank lobby! Thence to the charming thought process of my wife's nephew wherein he could not reconcile the green (rice) paddy with the white boiled rice on his plate.
I did not see a racial aspect to the ad; but then... I was not seeking one.

o

"I did not see a racial aspect to the ad; but then... I was not seeking one."

I don't see that angle, either... but some do, more's the pity. We are an ever evolving society, and I would expect that advertisers and other media would try to portray today's varied population.

o

I didn't see a racial aspect either. I just wanted to adopt the little girl...lol

I admire GM for keeping it up, but I won't be buying Cheerios or any other cereal except oatmeal.

o

I do love my oatmeal. Quaker Oats was bought by PepsiCo in 2001.... just in case someone has a philosophical difference with PepsiCo.

o

Paying two bucks for a product that took two cents to make?

Nahhhh...no problem with that at all! LOL

Meanwhile I might add that if you take whole rolled oats and put them dry in a hot(un-buttered)skillet and toast them fresh right before eating,..the difference is amazing.

o

I'm sure there are many and more studies that can skew that data in favor of their cause. The tobacco industry was great at this kind of stuff for years.

o

lily316, you know? I think that this will close the loop.
That nephew of my wife? Well, his dad (and my best friend from school days) was of Chinese descent and his mother is of (East) Indian descent. The nephew married an (East) Indian and my little brother married a black girl.
Their children (8 collectively) bear the features and complexion of the future.

o

Time for some folks to visit Hawaii for some Aloha!

o

Are there racist talk show hosts spewing on the airwaves these days? Where does Joe Blow racist get his views? Surely such filth doesn't come only from the parents?

o

Thanks for clarifying, rona.
Your family sounds amazing--it's the face of America and will become even more so in the next decades. In my freshman writing class last semester, I had students either from or descended from parents from Ghana, China, Liberia, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Cambodia--in a class of 16 students. Certainly made for some interesting discussion!

o

Of course there are shows on the radio spewing racist filth - have you listened to AM radio or Faux News? There are local and national talk shows spewing all sorts of filth - most cloak themselves as "Christian" and Christians don't/won't denounce them, so it goes on and on.

And there are plenty of politicians who support these ideas too, especially in the so-called "Heartland" of America, where this kind of racism is especially strong.

It's sickening.

o

I would agree, Pidge.

I don't know who promotes or continues to promote racism and that particular type of bigotry. It died in my family with my own generation. I killed it... so to speak... by embracing myself, and everyone else as a worthy equal, and teaching that same acceptance.

It was difficult enough to grow up knowing I was just a little different, but add racial slurs and jokes to the general social feeling of the time, and it doesn't exactly promote the positive.

Wherever bigotry originates, it doesn't stand a chance unless we encourage it... or remain silent.

o

Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 8:29

cloak themselves as "Christian" and Christians don't/won't denounce them, so it goes on and on

....of course this is patently untrue and sounds like the "mantra" from "some" that Muslims do not denounce jihadists

o

No, "Ohio" it's not patently untrue, sadly, it's very true. Extremist, intolerant racist "Christians" seem to get a pass from more moderate Christians.

I know..............it's hard to object when they claim to believe what we believe, we all feel so put-upon, attacked from all sides, so we don't want to "eat our own."

But some groups don't deserve to be tolerated because they are, or claim to be Christians (or Muslims, or whatever). They need to be called out for their intolerance and hate, because if we don't disavow them, then we are no better than they are.

o

Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 10:57

Extremist, intolerant racist "Christians" seem to get a pass from more moderate Christians.

They are "called out". I and others have denounced the actions of pedophile priests, westboro baptist church, abortion bombings etc. Are you sure you are not looking for us to denounce our faith?

There are many Christians who stand along side people of other faiths and those without (Atheists) and work for social and economic justice.

Peace

o

LOL..............goodness, denounce your faith............hardly................not sure where you are coming from (the "Christian-bashing" accusers?), but you couldn't be farther from the truth.

Your voice, and mine, as individuals, needs to be joined by many many more, to drown out the hate and intolerance, to make it clear that this is not representative of Christians, or Americans.

This is a charming commercial,and it represents many families.

o

Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 11:37

This commercial actually represents my own family, and yes it is charming.

o

There are local and national talk shows spewing all sorts of filth - most cloak themselves as "Christian"

Could they be part of the Christian Identity movement?

ADL: Christian Identity

Christian Identity is a religious ideology popular in extreme right-wing circles. Adherents believe that whites of European descent can be traced back to the "Lost Tribes of Israel." Many consider Jews to be the Satanic offspring of Eve and the Serpent, while non-whites are "mud peoples" created before Adam and Eve. Its virulent racist and anti-Semitic beliefs are usually accompanied by extreme anti-government sentiments. Despite its small size, Christian Identity influences virtually all white supremacist and extreme anti-government movements. It has also informed criminal behavior ranging from hate crimes to acts of terrorism.

iirc, after the Klan lost some expensive lawsuits brought by the SPLC, some of the members regrouped as 'churches' -- which might also account for some of the hate speech from so-called Christians.

o

What a horrible thing, Nancy... to take hate and bigotry to that extreme, and hide it behind some unproven, off the wall religious theory.

I would agree that this does not represent all christians... but those who hate sure do seem to yell loud.

o

"This commercial actually represents my own family, and yes it is charming."

Mine, too, ohiomom. I totally agree with you.

o

That makes sense Nancy. How unfortunate, too.

o

I think my shock stems from the fact that I grew up on the West Coast, in a large city. I really had no idea such hateful bigotry still existed to the degree of which I am now aware. I do think it has gotten worse over the years, and I firmly blame the pols and mouthpieces in the media who have fanned the flames to their own ends--sheeple who will follow blindly. In the end as I say ad nauseum, it's all about the money for the ones doing the leading.

o

This ad is just such a non issue to me. Most of my friends and my family resemble this ad in one way or another.

My neighbors also resemble this family. Hispanic mom and Filipino dads, Spanish moms and Latino dads, Vietnamese mom and white dad, etc etc etc.

Most of my friends growing up were a shade of this or that. Mixed.

The thing that surprises me is that, like gay marriage, there are still people who have to fight for the equal footing some others have without even trying.

Aloha Chisue.... do you remember "chop suey, chop suey, everyone/thing around me is chop suey..."

My mom used to sing that :)

o

My teen son was talking about this today.

This whole kerfuffle is entirely lost on him. Interracial couples or homosexual couples being shown on TV or in advertisements.... there's nothing wrong with that.

Two men have sex, two women having sex, two people of different races having sex... so what? Why all the hang ups?

But he does believe there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

He says the Ci@lis commercials should be yanked immediately... 'cause the thought of old people having sex is truly disturbing.

o

I agree with him hamiltongardener, but I suspect my goal post for "old" is considerably older than his ;)

o

Funny hamilton. A long time ago, I was young and stupid too. Do you think the youngsters are afraid to admit that one day, they too will be old?

Discrimination of old people. Something I just can't understand.

I love cherrios. I hardly ever buy them though. I often go down the cereal aisle and come out empty handed. How do they justify those prices? Do people still think it's a cheap breakfast?

o

A normal reaction from a normal teen, HG! What teen wants to visualize their parents, or anyone older than themselves in such a compromising position?! Certainly not I, at that age! ;-)

I saw the advertisement in question just the other day... and I saw nothing at all to indicate that it represents anything other than the average American family... parents and child, a scene from breakfast, and a child's concern for parental health and well being. It was kind of cute, actually.

General Mills in not a company we purchase items from, but to each his or her own. A quick read of ingredients tells me it's not something I want to consume... too processed, too many sugars and other questionable additions... and too costly.

o

A long time ago, I was young and stupid too. Do you think the youngsters are afraid to admit that one day, they too will be old?
Discrimination of old people. Something I just can't understand.

October...

I'm sure you must have realized that it was a joke on his part, right?

Old people having sex! EWWWW! My brain....it burns!!!

It's a form of turnabout on those who would find the idea of mixed race sex somehow an issue.

o

A normal reaction from a normal teen, HG! What teen wants to visualize their parents, or anyone older than themselves in such a compromising position?! Certainly not I, at that age! ;-)

Or any age!

I'm certainly not a teen, and *I* don't want to think about my parents....ewww...*shudder*

;D

o

Concur! Ewww! ;-)

o

An adorable response to the Cheerio ad haters.

Here is a link that might be useful: You Tube link

o

Love both videoes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here