Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If you are a 'foodie fundamentalist' you

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 6:28

are fighting a losing battle and you should. Don't you like your orange juice with Vitamin D and calcium? Of course you do. And orange potatoes genetically grown with carotene are on the way, and this is just one example, according to an article in The Futurist for May/June. Healthier food is working its way into the food supply system so surely you will get with the program...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If you are a 'foodie fundamentalist' you

Should what? Fight the battle or lose?

But that is rather amusing, healthier food. What a hoot.

o

"And orange potatoes..,"

What's the point? We already have these. They're called yams, and one of the healthiest things you can eat!

o

Yes, but now you can get carotene without eating carrots. You should find that fact alone very exciting...

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 7:40

"frankenfoods"

o
RE: Iyou are a 'foodie fundamentalist' you

And coming to your supermarket soon!

o

Whatever happened to foods that we all recognize, that actually have flavor and nutrition?

Too much grocery store offerings look nothing like, nor do they taste like real foods nature provides.

o

"Don't eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food."

-- Michael Pollan

o

My great grandmother used to love to eat salted, dried preserved hams - she grew up on the the things prior to refrigeration. When she was in her last years, my Sister managed to get one of those hams as a surprise present, and served it up. Great-Grandma snarfed it up by the slice, I thought it was so salty it was were inedible.

o

David, I tried to eat one of those hams once too. Inedible, indeed.

There are so many foods we are not eating, the supermarket just carries a small portion of the veggies available in the world. We should be expanding what we are growing instead of mono-cropping or creating new foods. Go back, find some of the old foods, start growing them.

o

I live by Michael Pollan's words. After reading his book , I changed my whole way of eating although I ate well before. I just refined it.

o

Me too Lily. Mostly plants ;)

o

you are fighting a losing battle and you should

There are organic vendors at the farmers' markets, and the local co-op, Co-opportunity, would not carry GMO anything.

I worry more about the GMOs being used in chain restaurants and fast-food places.

o

"Yes, but now you can get carotene without eating carrots.

I always could! Again, they're called yams! Superb carmelized with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Don't forget the pinch of salt. Or slice up a leftover baked yam, fry it in a pan and add eggs. Still don't forget the salt!

o

salted, dried preserved hams

Somewhat similar is salt cod, or as nonna might have said: baccala'.

o

Mnnn last night had sweet potatoes great source of fiber, couscous with roasted red peppers, cucumber dill Greek yogurt cold soup!
Can't wait for the white peaches to start being plentiful, Honey, vanilla bean or extract beaten into ricotta cheese covered with slices of juicy white peaches mnnnn! Beats a Twinkie or a ho ho any day

o

Why does it have to be an either/or with this issue? Why not embrace the changes that are good, and reject the ones that are not. An orange potato, I see no problem with it. It depends on what exactly is being done to the plant.

Our country is as dysfunctional about food as it is about other things. So many people say they want to eat real, healthy food, and then dive into the Cheetos and Big Macs washed down with the 64 ounce Big Gulp. We waste tremendous amounts of perfectly good food while millions around the world starve and millions right here go to bed hungry on a regular basis.

If they genetically engineered citrus or papayas or some other tropical fruit to survive in Michigan's winters, I'd be in line to buy it first thing and try growing it. That wouldn't frighten me one bit.

o

If they genetically engineered citrus or papayas or some other tropical fruit to survive in Michigan's winters, I'd be in line to buy it

I'm interested in a potato that will help clear the table, and stack the dishes. If it could be genetically engineered to wash windows, I'd be in heaven.

o

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 16:21

Why does it have to be an either/or with this issue? Why not embrace the changes that are good, and reject the ones that are not. An orange potato, I see no problem with it. It depends on what exactly is being done to the plant.

I agree. Caution is a good thing, but it's okay to accept change for the better, albeit carefully.

If the general public had known where pencillin came from, they might have been leery of that, too.

o

My great grandmother used to love to eat salted, dried preserved hams

Years ago, one of the guys who trained me as a tile setter used to make his own capicole and prosciutto. GO down in his cellar, and it'd smell like an Italian deli from where he was hanging them to age! But man, I've yet to ever eat a better capicole.

o

In the middle 1980's I toured the coastal states of Maryland, VA, NC and SC, focusing on historic sites and apples. One of my long-held dreams was rewarded with a slab of salt-cured dried ham, served up with grits for breakfast. Oh, and really bad coffee. The coffee was the high point of the meal, followed by the grits. The ham was inedible. Dreams must really be made up of nightmare fragments packaged nicely.

o

Marshall, I hope you are well and your humongous garden us thriving.

o

I love sweet potatoes and have them a few times a week. My dogs like them too.

My dad liked that Southern cured ham, and I always hated it as a child... years before I gave up all meat. .

o

Spam was my meat of choice...

o

Elvis, thank you...the market garden is thriving and ready to receive a special order of a medley of sweet potato slips that I potted up at the end of May. A gamble, given this cold often foggy coastal climate.

o

I'm trying to grow sweet potato as well this year, selecting a half-dozen short season varieties from Sand Hill Preservation. I planted a couple dozen slips last week in both the garden and containers. I dunno how thats going to work, but for sure this year is hot enough. At least the containers, I can drag inside.

Bill, I've also had homemade/home-cured italian dry sausage and prosciutto, as well as cured, dried, smoked venison hams. Some good, that. Not something you buy at the Walmart deli counter.....

o

Our daughter babysits for some kids that just about live on SPAM & Cheese sandwiches, SpaghettiOs with meatballs and SpaghettiOs with hot dogs.

They dip their SPAM & Cheese sandwiches into their large bowls of Spaghettios with meatballs (often with 2/3 sliced hotdogs per bowl), then wash it down with soda.

o

My father evidently ate a lot of spam when he was stationed overseas and developed a taste for it. He gave it up in his later years but there was a time we all begged to try it out and we all were grossed out by it - as I recall, even the appearance of it is nasty.

He also loved pickled eggs too - which I think are nasty, and beyond nasty looking floating around with the green cast to them in a huge glass jar. It was kept in the fridge and I always wanted to cover it with a dish cloth so I didn't have to look at it when I opened the door.

I guess it's what you grow up on that ends up an acquired taste. The English and Austrailians love the vegemite. I have a dear English friend who's mum used to send her the "survival" box of foods she loved but couldn't get here. She gave us all a try of vegimite once, now there is some nasty stuff! But even the kids eat it constantly, it depends upon what you eat as a kid that can become a beloved and comfort food I guess.

That is beyond repulsive MJ - and I also don't know why people would buy that gruesome SPAM, I looked at the price of a can a couple of years ago out of curiosity and was stunned at the sticker price. I don't remember what it was anymore, but I would not have ever considered buying it under any circumstances even if I did find it tasty - it was MUCH too expensive - especially considering what you are buying. It should be called GIAC - gross in a can.

With so many equally as easy to throw together options for sandwiches, why would parent (especially on a very limited income) choose an expensive can of that gross Spam to throw at their little kiddies? I don't get it.

You can buy a large whole turkey, slice it up and freeze it in family luncheon sandwich sections for far cheaper than you can serve up that tasty gross in a can.

Canned spaghetti stuff always tasted to me like the taste I have in my mouth after hanging over the bowl all night due to a virus - I can't imagine how anyone can eat that stuff, even the smell gets to me.

I must admit, I have liked a handful of cheetos in the past, but getting the orange artificial coloring (supposed to be cheddar cheese folks!) off my fingers afterwards required enough scrubbing that I decided I could live without it. Anything that stains the fingers so much must be turning the innards into a chemical factory!

People love odd things - I had a friend who used to love to go to the local and very delicious privately owned hamburger joint, buy a hamburger, a large fry and a chocolate malt. She dipped her fries into her chocolate malt.

I just can't imagine that! I could't watch her eat, it was just too gross to watch that malty fry hit her mouth, she thought my reaction was just hilarious and I'm sure it was! :)

If that place was still open, I would throw caution, and my daily luncheon spinach salad, to the wind and get their cheeseburger and a large fry and a diet coke.

Oh -heaven.

The fat burger and salty lard fries would get me there faster too, but the ride there sure would be fun! ;)

o

Yummmm! Thin slices of SPAM fried in lard...a childhood memory. I still stock several tins of SPAM, just in case disaster strikes. Every once in a while, I'll dice some up, saute the stuff in a bit of garlic-ed oil augmented by savory, and tossed with a salad with a balsamic vinegar dressing.

o

That is beyond repulsive MJ - and I also don't know why people would buy that gruesome SPAM, I looked at the price of a can a couple of years ago out of curiosity and was stunned at the sticker price.

We have many relatives that buy SPAM, canned ham, potted meat, vienna sausages and other canned foods since they're ready-to-eat and they like the taste.

These foods are Very Expensive in comparison to much healthier foods, but they don't like to plan meals, prepare meals, cook, refrigerate, freeze, clean up etc.

The majority of what they buy is ready to eat, pre-prepared or easy to prepare (microwaveable or just add hot water).

Speed and convenience is also why they spend a small fortune on take-out, delivery, fast food and prepared foods at convenience stores.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 14:27

Mylab, my mom would do pickled eggs around Easter using beet juice. Loved the color! The only ones I eat now are quail eggs. Good and spicy.

o

Regarding portable lunches, etc. I have never understood why people who want meat sandwiches won't buy a whole chicken and roast it in the oven with fresh vegetables. You can snack on that for almost a week and make delicious varieties of leftovers. Cornish hens, too. And my favorite, the incredible, edible portable hard-boiled egg. Delicious all by itself and lots of vitamins in the yolks.Not to mention cheap.

o

David, please report back on the sweet potatoes. I suspect your climate is much like mine and I am curious to experiment with sweet potatoes in the future. I believe that I have also heard the leaves are edible, too.

o

Exactly woodnymph..Healthy meals are very easy to pack. Rotisserie chicken is another option along with the hardboiled egg. I have eaten a hardboiled egg every day for years and years even when the reports were they were not good for you to eat that many.

If it were summer year round I could be a total vegetarian. As it is, I eat a 1/2 pound of Salmon a week and a chicken thigh. Tonight Husband grilled chicken thighs and zucchini. On my plate I had the zucchini, coconut rice with a cup of peas from the garden mixed in , corn on the cob and tomatoes from my garden. I was almost finished dinner when I realized I had not had any of the chicken and didn't need it. It wouldn't have fit on my plate.

o

...recognize when they're trying to brainwash everyone by side-stepping the fact that they're trying to make everything out of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup, from GMO corn, of course) instead of the real ingredients people assume are in there.

Don't confuse hybridization and selective breeding with GMO, as I noticed in some of the above comments.

o

I love spam!! So salty and delicious. Love pickled eggs too in beet juice...I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Spaghettio's are gross...I never cared for the taste they had...yuck.

All of the processing is gross sometimes, but then other times you are left with a delicious delicacy.

o

We think Turkey Spam is wonderfully tasty. Wonder what's in it.

Never tried pickled eggs, but we make pickled beets every summer. Partner calls them "tracers"; we'll leave it at that.

Krycek, we grow sweet spuds up here; it can be done.

o

Says 100% white meat turkey (White Turkey, Turkey Broth, Modified Potato Starch, Salt, Natural Turkey Flavor and...?). Something has to make the gelatenous stuff.

I've heard it makes the same sucking sound as regular SPAM when turned out of the can.

Here's an image... doomsday prepper's basement with stacks of SPAM, beans and bullets.

o

Good God, if SPAM is what we have to look forward to post-apocalypse, I'd rather just die with the masses.

o

I admit that I like pickled eggs too. And pickled beets are a favourite of mine. Actually, beets served almost any way. I have roasted beets and brussels sprouts on the menu for tomorrow, in fact.

Now Spam is something I detest but my grandmother used to serve it as a sandwich meat and my mother would eat it every so often. Keep in mind that many folks during the WWII era had canned meat and canned veggies, both those who fought overseas as well as factory workers back home.

o

DIB: Alrighty then. We have all three so I guess we're all set!

I'm pretty sure most semi or solid things make that sucking sound while being de-canned...like canned ham or cream of mushroom soup, for instance.

HG: Turkey Spam tastes completely different from original Spam (which I think means "spiced ham").

o

I'd face the Apocalypse rather than eat a bite of any kind of Spam.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 0:34

Spamocalypse Now!

o

Spamocalypse...I like it :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here