Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just in time for ...

Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 7:52

....the possible change of guard in November?

Top conservative says read my lips: Don’t sign ‘no new tax’ pledge

As a conservative Republican, Lindsey Graham has never had a problem promising not to raise taxes. Like almost every other Republican member of Congress, during his last re-election campaign, he signed the anti-tax pledge put forth by Grover Norquist's group Americans for Tax Reform.

But now Graham says the debt crisis is so severe that the tax pledge " which says no tax loopholes can be eliminated unless every dollar raised by closing loopholes goes to tax cuts -- has got to go.

"When you eliminate a deduction, it's okay with me to use some of that money to get us out of debt. That's where I disagree with the pledge," said Graham.

This puts Graham at odds with his party's leadership. Just last August, when the eight Republican presidential candidates were asked if they would reject a deal with $10 in spending cuts for every $1 in revenue, all eight said they would walk away. But Graham is now raising his hand for increased revenues " he says he could support a plan that included $4 in spending cuts for every $1 in increased tax revenue.

"We're so far in debt, that if you don't give up some ideological ground, the country sinks," said Graham.

Here is a link that might be useful: linky dink

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just in time for ...

Finally a crack in this craziness!

o

I realize that "people who have money often love the money the most", as the saying goes... but, some concessions are going to have to be made, and more revenue pulled in, if we ever hope to even get our head above water as a nation, never mind actually floating!

Neither a household nor a business runs well if only cuts are made, but no revenue comes in! It's simple, logical, common sense!

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 8:19

Well as with most things that sound "too good to be true" I should have known better and researched further.

Apparently this "epiphany" came in response to the $600 billion mandatory military spending cuts ... just trying to save that war machine that republicans and democrats love so much.

Ah well...

o

We need the revenue to pay for the wars we already had!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 9:27

Good for Graham, he'll have Norquist on his back until his next run. Norquist lied when he said he wanted to "shrink" government down to the size where he could drown it in a bath tub. Norquist knows that government will not shrink, he really wants it to just drown in debt so that we will no longer have a representative government but rather a Corporate States of America, the people be damned...
Huntsman missed his chance on that 10-to-1 deal during the debate.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 9:36

will no longer have a representative government but rather a Corporate States of America, the people be damned...

....."will not longer" or "have no longer" ?

I go with the "have no longer".

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 10:43

"We're so far in debt, that if you don't give up some ideological ground, the country sinks,"

As Vg said in other words; I thought that was the whole idea.

o

Honestly, I don't think it's so much that they care whether or not it sinks... but they don't want to kill the cash cow, either...

o

Apparently this "epiphany" came in response to the $600 billion mandatory military spending cuts

Of course!

OT: I thought Graham's outing was supposed to be eminent -- a few years ago. What happened?

o

If you lived here in SC you would see why he would find it daunting to come out....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here