Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Derecho" headed East....

Posted by woodnymph2 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 9:12

Supposedly, the worst impact will be in the Virginia, Maryland, and DC areas. Stay safe, vgkg and others in its path! I seem to recall this happened last year. This one is supposed to affect 24 states. I want to ask anyone who knows: is this type of monster a new development, due to global warming? I don't remember hearing the word until last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Derecho" headed East....

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 9:26

Thx Woodnymph, keeping my eyes peeled today, we're hoping that lingering cloud cover will keep storm intensity to a minimum later today. Surely don't need any more rain here much less 60mph winds or worse a twister. Heading outside now to tie up tomato plants a bit better. Looks to possibly be worse up north of us but these Derecho animals are a different breed of storm and unpredictible.

o

I was in the direct path of 3 high straight line wind events in the 1990s - 2 later classified as Derechos.

I rode out one in a cuddy cabin fishing boat on Lake Ontario. It was interesting to say the least.

o

I don't see it up here but I loved saying "derecho" and rolling the r. Stay safe and stay thirsty my friends.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 10:00

Came through here, but I do not think it was a derecho, at least not in my area. Typical storm damage, trees/branches down, some loss of power and flooding in low areas. Guess there was a tornado watch for our county late last night, I was asleep so did not see it on the news.

o

They didn't call it that, but maybe 5 years ago, in the winter at night, we had straight line winds that were the strongest I've ever experienced. Opened the back door, I needed help closing it. Knocked over thousands of trees.

o

Sure that wasn't a Chinook Wind, David? Common during the winter in the Rockies region, often a warm wind from compression heating of the air mass sliding down the mountain.

o

To all in its path, stay safe.

The term confused me; derechos (humanos) are threatening? Derecho but not izquierda?

The weather term goes back to the 19th century, so nativists shouldn't complain. I never considered that 'tornado' had foreign roots since it's so commonly used.

o

You forgot "derecha" (right)

o

We had the weather band on the VHF on during one of the Derechos with the robotic voice saying winds calm @ 5 to 10 MPH with seas @ 1 to 3 feet as we were battling massive waves, currents, flying debris and loose boats/docks.

o

Marshall, the chinook winds are generally warm winds from the south that come in the winter and melt the snow. This thing was some sort of blizzard from the west - it went on for maybe 30 minutes, and I seriously thought we'd lose the roof.

Next morning, I had snow sticking to the undersides of the eves, and not just on the windward side of the house.

o

Good luck to all those affected by the path ... in my thoughts and prayers ...

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 17:45

Got lucky here, had high winds but no damage and just 1/2" rain, real lucky as 100,000 in Va have lost power....and this bugger is still on it's way to the coast.

o

Started around ten last night, blowing pretty stiff now but not too bad, not sure yet how much rain but plenty. We had a northeaster right around this time last year as well. I guess it's a new thing.

Over twelve inches now since May 19th. We could have done with some of Colorado's dry weather (just a little) and they could have used some of our rain. Somebody better invent the Global Weather Distributor quite soon...

o

wasn't bad here just very heavy rains for about an hour. Iwas on my way to the vet when it came down!~

o

We're now in a holding pattern, waiting for rain. It's starting to get kinda dry out there...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here