Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keystone cops ...

Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 9:51

This is "how they do it" ...

Bold Nebraska, a grassroots landowner advocacy group, obtained TransCanada's presentation slides (below) via a Freedom of Information Act request to the Nebraska State Patrol. These slides revealed that TransCanada provided training to both federal and local police forces on how to crack down on environmental activists, even going so far as to train them to arrest the activists under anti-terrorism statutes.

Although TransCanada’s presentation to authorities contains information about property destruction, sabotage, and booby traps, police in Texas and Oklahoma have never alleged, accused, or charged Tar Sands Blockade activists of any such behaviors. Since August 2012, Tar Sands Blockade has carried out dozens of successful nonviolent direct actions to physically halt construction of the Keystone XL pipeline in Texas and Oklahoma. All of these acts, as well as every pipeline protest in Nebraska, have maintained strict commitments to nonviolence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Be Silent!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keystone cops ...

There it is again, that overreach of power through legislation designed to remove our rights and freedoms, and utilize our own public protective services against us.

Again, I say... greed will be the downfall of our civilization.

Since when is caring about our environment and trying to protect it from harm considered to be terrorist in notion?

We, the people, are rapidly losing ground to a greedy, seemingly entitled authoritarian mindset that refuses to play fair. I feel that a revolution may be looming over the horizon...

o

How did I miss this OP? Similar stories about special training to deal with environmental terrorist protesters have popped up over the years, particularly those protesting logging and mining. Protesters have died or been maimed for life, sometimes by actions suspected to being caused by agents provocateurs.

Governments have taken to citing environmental protest actions as terrorist acts allowing for much severer responses and penalties to be meted out. Some terrible injustices.

o

There are environmental terrorists, thinking of one called ELF, who was burning down homes a few years ago. Some have engaged in bombings. The FBI even has a special list for environmental terrorists. So I would assume that law enforcement must be prepared for all contingencies. Not sure what greed has to do with it.

o

People seem to play fast and loose with the word, and the idea, of 'terrorism' and what that entails these days.

The few persons or groups that do behave badly do not automatically make all environmental groups bad. Most continue to fight the good fight to salvage what's left of our natural environment and resources, which we need in order to have a healthy planet.

The avarice is as plain as day. Without it, there wouldn't be an issue to fight over, to protest, because those ruining the environment wouldn't need to as there wouldn't be any monetary gains.

o

Not everyone that has money or a business is greedy either, but according to you they are.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 10:43

No problem Marshall, I cannot keep up and/or post on every thread.

This reminded me of the 5Million "donation" JPMorgan gave to the NYPD on the eve of Occupy or the recent revelation of the oil company "hiring" police officers to keep out the press after the Arkansas oil spill.

But heck our representatives are no longer "public servants", why should we expect the cops to be just because they are "paid by our tax dollars".

o

"There is no better time than now to push forth an initiative which calls out the surveillance state for what it is; a web of police, prisons and politicians designed to protect the wealthy."

http://occupyamerica.crooksandliars.com/taxonomy/term/45303

Here is a link that might be useful: against the surveillance state

o

Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 20:21

FBI Director Robert Mueller testified on Wednesday that his agency has used drones, in a very limited capacity, to conduct surveillance within the United States.

Mueller told a Senate committee his agency had “very few” drones, and when they are used, the unmanned aircraft are tactically deployed in a “a very minimal way and very seldom.”

"deployed in a very minimal way"

......oh well that makes me feel so much better

Here is a link that might be useful: Peek a Boo

o

Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 8:02

Be afraid, be very afraid ...

... after the inconvenient collapse of the Cold War, they have been substituted "terrorist for communist" as the enemy of choice

...just when the good times for war profiteers seemed to be forever in the past, there came 9/11 and the terrorist enemy, the gift that keeps on giving!

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 8:07

Sounds like something we read right here on HT ...

The recent revelations about the NSA's far-reaching program of domestic surveillance have been met with an astonishing lack of outrage from the American people. A combination of "I'm not doing anything wrong, so why should I worry?" and "We've known this was going on for years" has led to a big national shrug over the matter.

If the rise in local, state and federal government's willingness to act on behalf of major corporations by labeling lawful American citizens as terrorists does not shake people out of their lethargy, then we deserve everything we are certainly going to get.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I'm not sure I agree om. It seems the younger crowd who are more likely to avail themselves of all the lastest techy items, are not at all happy with the NSA etc. with all their electronic spying. The sales of George Orwells book 1984, have skyrocketed. People are paying attention. They are signing up on Rand Pauls website for the class action suit against the government.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here