Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Syria -- yet another quagmire

Posted by woodnymph2 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 11:44

What do you think of our impending involvement? Is it too little, too late? Do you think there should be a no-fly zone? Will the Russians back down, or this another start of a Cold War? To my view, there is no good outcome. Surely we should try for a diplomatic solution?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Syria -- yet another quagmire

Let Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Iran, and whoever else wants to get involved take care of it. Or would you like to see another generation of American kids slaughtered?

-Ron-

o

Who are we supposed to be backing? Muslim Brotherhood, Hezbollah, etc? Humanitarian aid to the refugees, the truly innocents would be my first choice.

o

This should be a NATO/EU responsibility, acting on UN guidance. We do not want another war with US treasury and blood squandered so that other countries and peoples can enjoy life and prosperity.

o

Slips riding boots on over the jodhpurs, adjusts aviator sunglasses, grabs riding crop and heads towards Middle East map........

So the Syrian civil war has been going on for about two years. For the first 20-odd months, the rebels made some advances, but the whole thing was pretty much a stalemate. The Russians were 'fulfilling contracts' to keep the Assad regime in arms, and the rebels were able to, ***magically*** , get arms as well - not MIG fighter planes, but enough stuff to take over a few towns, push back the regular military, hold their own.

And then something happened. Hezbollah - with full support (arms, money) from Iran joined the fight with thousands of guys from Lebanon. Russia sent another 6 pack of MIGS. And, it seems, Iran started equipping Assad with their latest technologies as well.

So suddenly now, the rebels are losing ground. And should Assad win, think of the ramifications:

- the slaughter of anyone who dared oppose him
- permanent millions in refugee status, destabilizing Jordan, Lebanon, etc.
-Iran pulls off a successful proxy war
-Hezbollah gains prestige, experience, and confidence.

[pauses to tap map emphatically with riding crop, sips water, clears throat]

The French, Brits, Saudis, Turkey, Libya, and all kinds of other folks have been covertly arming the rebels now for years. The US has been supplying stuff like night goggles, satellite phones, this and that. Now we're going to send some arms - my guess is anti-tank stuff, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone, say a trusted mercenary group from the region, were given a few anti-aircraft missiles. Shoot down a dozen Syrian jets over two-three days, might make the pilots reconsider their loyalty or flight plans or something.

I think the idea is to re-establish some sort of standoff, where neither side has any big advantage, hoping that this will lead to a settlement. Not exactly a clear, defined stratergy.

But its bad choices all around. I'd hope some sort of official coalition, maybe NATO based, is formed to deal with this - at a minimum to coordinate aid and support.

/blah blah

o

Turkey is a member of NATO and is already involved in hot-border issues and accepting large numbers of refugees and supposedly safe havens for rebel fighters.

Against NATO's interests we have a de facto coalition of Russia, China, Iran, Hezbollah (from Lebanon), and Shiites minority and majority sections of the Gulf States supporting or arming the Syrian government and stopping meaningful votes in the UN Security Council. The use of Sarin gas seems not to have really bothered Syria's allies and we have officially deplored it use against civilian populations.

The US has been supplying humanitarian aid directly (and probably military aid through secondary channels through Jordan.) If the US joins the fray overtly supplying advanced military weaponry, we'll be in another quagmire; good for the "defense industry" and their government lackeys in the Defense and Homeland Security Department but bad for our Treasury agency and working of Executive and Congressional branches of government.

The real losers in this situation are the Sunnis of the Arab world and Israelis. Arming and training both rebel and government forces in advanced weaponry and tactics cannot be a comforting development for the Israel Defense Force.

o

Personally, I don't think the US should be involved, at all... not in a military capacity. The collective we of society should be able to handle everything with diplomatic solutions, not war.

It's too bad military grade weapons manufacturers don't see it that way...

o

"The real losers in this situation are the Sunnis of the Arab world and Israelis. Arming and training both rebel and government forces in advanced weaponry and tactics cannot be a comforting development for the Israel Defense Force."

I was thinking that just about the only winners in all this is the Israelis.

The Iraq Model: Get them fighting each other and Israel can sleep a little better at night. For a while, anyhow.

"The use of Sarin gas..."

I don't know. Time will tell... maybe. But I'm curious to know how it is that you know that Sarin gas was used? And if it's been used, how do you know who used it?

Some of you need to be careful. You're starting to sound like Palin.

"Sarah Palin on Syria: Let Allah Sort it Out"

Next thing you know, you'll be supporting her run for Presidency.

Hay

o

Meanwhile, ...." Violence has increased sharply in Iraq over the past two months, with bombings in civilian areas growing more frequent as fears grow that widespread sectarian conflict may break out once again. The bloodshed has accelerated since a deadly crackdown on 23 April by security forces on a Sunni protest in the northern town of Hawija.

The UN figures showed that 1,045 civilians and security personnel were killed in May. That surpassed the 712 killed in April, the deadliest month recorded since June 2008.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Hay-more, give us more! Major conflicts on Israeli borders is not cause for comfort to Israelis. The sectarian nature of the struggle is also of possible concern. Why do you think the Israel government should be comforted by current events in its neighbors? Even Jordon is under much stress as it is inundated with tens of thousands of Syrian refugees. Soon enough, that part of SW Asia and NAf. will be a region of displaced peoples; never a good thing for political stability.

o

"never a good thing for political stability"

Israel wants political stability in the Arab world?

What happened to "Divide and Conquer"?

Hay

o

But, But, But Hay, our government told us that sarin gas was used. You don't truly believe they would lie to us do you? I mean look how truthful they have been about everything else.........Benghazi, listening to and recording our calls, emails, the IRS scandal, etc, etc, etc............

As for Syria, it is just another bud blooming as a result of the 'arab spring' which we so stupidly backed. Yes, Assad was a dictator but who are you going to back now the tyrant or the terrorist. You can bet that any weapons supplied to these people will be used against US down the road. These 'muslim rebels' have gone in and annihilated Christian Villages killing not only men but women and children as well. They have destroyed Christian churches and have even put a video on YouTube showing a 'rebel' eating one of Assad's soldiers hearts. At least when Assad was in charge the Christians and people of other religions weren't murdered just because they weren't muslims.

As far as I'm concerned we have no business in Syria. We've already stuck our nose in too many countries and had too much of our military's blood shed in useless endeavors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here