Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indiana GOP Evolution

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 13:08

Micah Clark, leader of the American Family Association of Indiana, said he was disappointed by the GOP silence this year. The GOP platform had said that marriage was between a man & a woman since at least 2006 while the Dems remained silent on the issue .
This year the Dems have spoken up & on Saturday will vote on a platform during their state convention that for the first time says the party "opposes amending the Indiana Constitution to define marriage."
The GOP response said they were just changing focus to jobs.

It was just an article I was passing & though oh that's nice but it was also in the context of NOM asking some major corporations to remain neutral in the marriage equality war and receiving a resounding no from General Mills.
That and watching a 1967 Mike Wallace CBS TV special on "The Homosexual's" by today's standards most of the material covered would seem odd if not quaint it just reminds me that next week is the Anniversary of Stonewall Riots & how much has changed in this country.

Here is a link that might be useful: changes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indiana GOP Evolution

Sides are being drawn a little more noticeably now. Glad to see General Mills in the against column. There was a fairly well attended "no to the amendment" rally here last Sunday and lawn signs are starting to appear. Do believe Duluth will largely vote against the amendment, but I can't speak for the rest of the state.

From our daily rag and lifted right from the AP:

ST. PAUL: General Mills said Thursday it opposes a proposed Minnesota constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, the largest company in the state to come out against the measure so far.

"We do not believe the proposed constitutional amendment is in the best interests of our employees or our state economy - and as a Minnesota-based company we oppose it," Ken Charles, vice president of global diversity and inclusion for General Mills, wrote in a public blog post on the company's website. "We value diversity. We value inclusion. We always have and we always will."

Minnesota already bans gay marriage by statute, but gay marriage opponents have said putting the ban in the state constitution would make it harder for courts to undo it. Voters will decide the issue in November.

Minnesota for Marriage, a main group pushing for the amendment's passage, accused General Mills of "pandering to a small but powerful interest group."

"By taking this position, General Mills is saying to Minnesotans and people all around the globe that marriage doesn't matter to them," Chairman John Helmberger said in a statement.

Executives from St. Jude Medical, RBC Wealth Management and Carlson Companies (Global travel & hospitality outfit) also have publicly opposed the proposal.

Businesses have found it can be risky to take sides on polarizing social issues. Target Corp. suffered a backlash two years ago after making a political donation to a Republican candidate for governor who opposed gay marriage. The company was criticized again earlier this month for selling gay pride T-shirts to raise money for a group working to defeat the gay marriage ban.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 17:32

GOP Evolution? That's a good one.
More likely it's that the gay marriage issue doesn't wedge in the GOP's favor any longer.

o

Taking away their favourite wedge toy? Whaaaah!!

o

In light of this 1967 CBS special alot has changed since I was a depressed kid in the 8th grade.
If ther can besuch a thing as a conservative Hotel chain The Marriot would be it. Mitt Romney was named for it's founder Willard Marriot and the Mormon family still maintains a 20% ownership of the business.
The chain has been marketing their services to gay wedding & event recently. Their Washington renaissance was a "proud" sponsor of Pride Festival in Washington.

Here is a link that might be useful: CBS with MIKE WALLACE

o

Since it seems as though it's the larger corporations that hold all the power, money, and influence, I think it's wonderful that these larger entities are finally speaking out against all the division and hate the GOP has tried so hard to foment, to bring to life.

Having a corporation like General Mills stand up and say they support equality is exactly what the GOP doesn't want, and doesn't need at the moment, and for the opposition, it's a wonderful thing to see the support.

The issues the GOP is using are the very nails that will seal their coffin. They are taking discrimination and intolerance to a whole new level, and people are not going to stand for it.

The last thing the GOP wants to do is evolve... and it's the last thing they will do. How does one drag an outdated political party that's been usurped by the extremest of the extremes into the 21st century, and make them see that there's an entire nation of people they must represent, and not with only their ideals?!

o
The other GM...

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 10:48

My brother lives in FW and mentioned this in his morning email.

GM plant flying gay pride flag

o

That's gratifying!

o

I've seen expressions of support for Gay Pride everywhere this month, from t-shirts to rainbow ties worn by newscasters on television. It IS very gratifying to know that so many people are supportive of equality.

As has been said, no one wants special favors... just equality... which is not too much to ask for. We ARE a nation of diversity, and this is a good thing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here