Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A wobbly spin, those HFCS folks

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 14:44

Not sure how long this entity has been advertising here, but noticed a link to this sect of the "Corn Refiners of America" today.

sweet surprise . com which has such passages such as, "But when we focus on one ingredient, we end up with products like trans-fat-free Cheetos, or Pepsi Natural, which has sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup. There's nothing natural about processed sugar. We need to take a holistic approach and realize it's the entirety of processed foods that is the problem and not just one ingredient."

The underlying point of the first sentence is incomprehensible without some (missing) prior contextual info, and the rest of it seems to be saying, "Hey it's the same as sugar." The passage almost seems like it was originally published against HFCS but highlighted by the HFCS folks because this little nugget by itself seem to support it, especially if you read it with no prior knowledge of the whole corn/gmo issue.

And then, "The bottom line for most of us is that we need to reduce the amount of overall sweetener in our daily diets, regardless of what the source is."

No doubt, so why are these particular folks/companies-supporting-this making more and more products with HFCS instead of the real fruits or veggies or other ingredients from which they were originally? They could care less about anyone's health except to wish that they live reasonably long enough to consume tons of their products.

It's renewed my resolve to remind everyone this week to read those labels and try to buy jelly made out of fruit, ketchup made out of tomatoes, ranch made out of buttermilk, etc... It's about as in-depth as most want to go before they lose interest, trying to be polite and act like they're paying attention while they sip soda. Right before they tell you they're "trying a new diet."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A wobbly spin, those HFCS folks

Meh.

While I can see the suggestion that HFCS is just like refined sugar... I'm not so sure I disagree.

I'm not saying HFCS is somehow good for you. I'm saying that both products are highly refined, processed plant extracts and both of them should be used sparingly.

No sense in endorsing one processed sweetener over another just because one of them is the latest villian. Refined sugar was once the HFCS of it's day.

o

Refined sugar is a demon, a monkey on the back. But it doesn't make every rat in every test rapidly gain weight, get irritable and have organ failure. With a refined sugar diet there is normal variation in the response of the test subjects, IOW, the populations of rats (and most likely also of humans) have varying abilities to cope with a diet high in refined cane or beet sugar; there is no ability to cope with the effects of HFCS.

o

Refined or processed anything and all the added chemicals are the demons, not to mention antibiotics used as preventatives, and GMO foods, but since we're at a point in time where profit trumps people and our general health, what can we really expect?

Since our government agencies built to control and regulate all this for the basic safety of the citizens isn't working, it's up to us to put them out of business by not purchasing their over-sugared, chemically built products.

Unfortunately, I think a good amount of people don't see anything wrong with the way America eats...

o

Excellent points, pnb & jodik, thanks for the inputs.

What upsets me the most are products that are faked. It's not about substituting one sweetener for another. I know sauces and dressings are not a significant part of a normal diet, but one used to get a little tomato when dipping their fries in ketchup, a little maple dipping pancakes in syrup, a little of something green in green goddess dressing. Now, if you don't read the labels, you're likely to be just putting (GMO) HFCS on your food instead.

All of that hidden, added sugar is what is messing people up, wondering why they're getting heavier and more unhealthy overall.

o

I'd bet a good portion of people, whether obese or not, do not really know what it's like to actually feel good... to actually feel healthy and awake and clear and good, optimally... as we should!

Even with all my health issues, I realize that the best way to go about retaining my health and feeling good is through diet... to detoxify my body of all the chemical additives and preservatives, processed foods, etc... your health begins with your diet... and ends with physical movement. Sure, there are some health issues and diseases that are hereditary, but we could eliminate half the issues out there through diet and exercise, alone.

We, as a nation, need to eat better and move around more. Simple. Now, all we need to do is find a way to ensure that fresh, whole, natural foods are available for every citizen... and that everyone has access to health care.

And with that, I'm off to move around... I have a lot of work to do! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here