Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Republicans block pay equity... again.

Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 15:49

"WASHINGTON A bill that would pave the way for women to more easily litigate their way to pay equality failed to clear a procedural hurdle in the Senate on Tuesday, as Republicans united against the measure for the second time in two years."

Indefensible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Republicans block pay equity... again.

Women - pay attention, if not for yourself then for your daughters, your sisters, your mothers, your friends.

Men - pay attention for your wives, your daughters, your mothers, your sisters, your nieces.

Republicans are by and large against progress for women. It threatens their sense of power.

o

Sexist, indefensible, ludicrous, absurd, patriarchal, a kick in the teeth to women everywhere... should I go on?

Why on earth should a woman, any woman, be paid less for equal work? What makes a male worth more for the same job?

o

Maddow tried nailing Romney's campaign down on this the other night but in classic fashion they answered a question she didn't ask in the affirmative. Hey it was progress it was the first time they ever responded at all.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 17:25

There's no war on women, it's just a constant series of police actions.
More evidence of how the corporate world has a tight grip on the GOP's sack.

o

Indefensible.

Times 2.

o

it's just a constant series of police actions.

Ok, I laughed

o

Senate Republicans block pay equity bill By Ted Barrett, CNN
updated 6:46 PM EDT, Tue June 5, 2012

"Democrats acknowledged privately that they expected to make political gains with women by pressing to close the pay gap, which they said has women earning just 77 cents on the dollar compared with men.

Republicans, fearful that Democrats were trying to portray them as insensitive to women, argued that they oppose pay discrimination but disagree with the Democrats' bill, which was written without their input. Republicans remained largely silent about the issue in the days leading up to the vote, even as Democrats, led by the president, made an all-out push for the legislation."

snip

""This is just politics. This should be called the trial lawyers bonanza bill," complained Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming, the top Republican on the Senate labor committee. "It has nothing to do with the women. They will get very little out of it. What it allows is huge class-action suits with very little defense by any employer."

Even the retiring moderate Republican senator from Maine, Olympia Snowe, whose support Democrats hoped to win, called the Democrats' bill "regrettable" and an "overreach."

"I think there are other ways (of) addressing these issues, and this legislation goes too far," Snow said. The bill "would put a tremendous burden on employers through lawsuits, class-action lawsuits."

Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Maryland, the chief sponsor of the pay equity bill, vowed to return to the bill until it passes.

"We will be back," she said. "Though we lost the vote today, we are not giving up for equal pay, for equal rights."

Sounds like a compromise should be reached, IMO.

o

Sounds like a compromise should be reached, IMO.

Agreed. Wish the Republicans would work towards that instead of just saying no. This just makes them look like they don't care instead of trying for a compromise that might actually get something done.

o

Yes the same people opposed Lilly Ledbetter!
Sows ears silk purses same logic

o

While browsing the web on this topic, I found out that women make less because they are more expensive to employ.

Statistically women:

Come in late
Leave early
Take more sick and personal days
Get pregnant missing months and possibly not returning
Are 20 times more likely to file a discrimination suit
Are 25 times more likely to file a sexual harassment suit
Women will combine personal with work

And women talk and chat 3-7 times as much as men.

:-P

o

From my extensive observations, I would say that women work the equivalent of 40-60 hours more per year than their male colleagues by skipping football, baseball, basketball, and hockey talk.

o

As a woman, when I was employed full time, I never came in to work late, worked overtime whenever asked, took no personal days, no pregnancy leave, and was forced to put in an extra 10% to cover the laziness and whining of several other workers around me... and not at just one job, either. I took sick days only when ill so as to not to spread the flu to any co-workers, or make myself even worse by overdoing it while sick.

It's no surprise that women are more likely to file discrimination suits... we're the ones being discriminated against. And the same thing goes for sexual harassment suits. It's not very often that women go around grabbing their male counterparts at work, or causing them undue embarrassment and anger through sexually charged comments.

As for combining personal and business, I'm not even sure what that means. Business is business. And men are just as likely to yak their way through a day's work as women are. They don't remain silent all day.

Not all women fall into the neat little categories certain polls would have one think they do.

It's hard to believe there are actually females that support the GOP mindset and outlook on women... it simply boggles my mind.

o

What's wrong with this?

Statistically Women/ Blacks / Asians / Homosexuals / Lesbians / People under 30 / People over 30 / Servicemen / Obese people

Come in late
Leave early

And Women/ Blacks / Asians / Homosexuals / Lesbians / People under 30 / People over 30 / Servicemen / Obese people talk and chat 3-7 times as much as men.

:-P

I love when ignorance throws the word "statistics show..."

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 6:38

.....looks like some would find it defensible :(

The CWMs are pleased

o

Cause maybe it happens 20-25 times more!

o

If it were true that women get paid less to do the same work, then surely some enterprising women would figure they could start a business, employ these underpaid women, undercut the male dominated businesses that are paying men too much and we'd all go to the seashore.

Why doesn't that happen?

Hay

o
Biased opinion

A biased source, but still...

"A solution to the pay gap has been elusive, in part because access to basic information - e.g., typical salary ranges and skill level requirements for particular positions, or advice on how to negotiate appropriate pay -is limited.

But we KNOW, absolutely KNOW, that women are getting paid less for the EXACT same work!!!

Hay

o
I want to help women, not hurt them.

The Trial Lawyer Paycheck Act

Politics? Can't be!!!! Democrats playing games with us?! Can't be!!!

"Majority Leader Harry Reid is back with this trial lawyer doozy just in time for 2012 election ads. Democrats last rolled out this attempt to equalize pay between men and women in 2010, when it also failed to get enough votes. Funny how this always seems to come up in election years."

I'm beginning to think this has less to do with helping poor working women and more to do with keeping well paid men in their political positions. (Why is only about 17% of the Conrgressional seats held by women?)

"Mr. Reid knows the bill is doomed again, and that's more or less the point. The White House and Democrats will be happier if it doesn't pass. Their goal is to portray GOP Senators as opposed to "equal pay for equal work," all the better for President Obama to court women voters this fall."

Fools you, maybe, but I'm too clever for them.

"To the extent there remains a male-female wage gap, it is mostly a function of occupational and lifestyle choices. Women have tended to gravitate to professions (teachers, secretaries) that are often not as highly paid as male-dominated industries. Many also decide to leave the workforce at some point, or to work part-time, to raise children. The "pay gap" is the result of free choices in what remains of our free economy.

When men are able to have children and women get strong like men, I expect we'll see a change in the gap.

"The bill is also a first step toward federal pay mandates."

Oh, boy, just what we need. The solution to all our problems. MORE GOVERNMENT!!!!

All of us, women and men, will be better off if we limit the government in our lives.

I'm trying to do my part to ensure a better future for the women I love.

Hay

o
You're welcome.

No need to thank me.

I'm happy to help.

A little kiss on the cheek maybe. Just to show your gratitude.

Hay

o

Progressive = More government! Have they included that definition in the urban dictionary yet?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 8:27

Well this woman is off to work, and no I don't play on government/private sector computer time.

Meanwhile I will let you and the other republicans on this forum take control of women's bodily functions. Every flock does need their judas goats, even though some of them are nanny goats.

Have fun kids.

o

Blocking a bill does not necessarily have a THING TO DO with how anyone feels about pay equity.

It's all a political game, as is the premise that Republicans do not support equal pay for equal work.

Some can fly a stinking piece of meat up on a flag and call it "equal rights" or whatever they want and if others don't rally 'round it, they're labeled as not supporting it.

NOT. Republicans don't buy it and no one here is stupid enough to buy it.

o

.....looks like some would find it defensible :(

The CWMs are pleased

Where's the surprise.

o

It's all a political game, as is the premise that Republicans do not support equal pay for equal work.

How exactly have Republicans supported equal pay for equal work, demi? The proof is in the doing, not the talking.

o

Women and men are different.

You want proof?

We evolved differently.

You want proof?

I wasn't around a few hundred thousand years ago, so I can't be sure, but I'd think that, from the fact that men are stronger and the fact that someone needs to look after the kids, that we may very well have evolved with differences other than the obvious ones.

I'm not blind. Male chauvinist pig? Maybe. But not a blind one.

Hay

o

I'd think that working at a desk in a cubicle behind a computer screen all day does not require 34" biceps and a build like Arnold S.

Nor does driving a bull dozer.

o

"How exactly have Republicans supported equal pay for equal work, demi?"

By voting against this dumb law.

You think women are paid less than they're worth?

Start a business. Go for it.

Hay

o

"I'd think that working at a desk in a cubicle behind a computer screen all day does not require 34" biceps and a build like Arnold S.
Nor does driving a bull dozer.

Dave can be your token male when you start your business.

Babies have a hard time sleeping with all the racket of a bull dozer.

And it's hard to type with one hand on the keyboard and one holding the bottle.

Other than that, you're probably right.

I need to fix my breakfast now. Sometimes I wish I had a woman around here to help me with the chores. I'd move the heavy furniture while she fixed my breakfast. Seems fair.

Hay

o

Statistically women:

Come in late
Leave early

Generally speaking, our younger, physically fit childless female employees and female employees with kids living outside the household miss substantially less work. It doesn't seem to matter if they're married, in a relationship or living with partners or relatives.

Most of our female employees that have showed up late, missed work or left early frequently have children.

Those that have missed the most work are single mothers with 2/3 plus kids.

Many of our female employees with kids have also quit work due to pregnancy, daycare/transportation costs/hassles.

Many female employees with kids can't, or won't work - full-time, overtime, weekends, holidays, after hours, on-call hours, out-of-town, on-the-road etc due to daycare, transportation, timing... too much to list.

o
And if a saber tooth shows up

And, if a Saber Tooth Tiger shows up, I'll gallantly defend you while you're fixing the breakfast.

It takes different skills to fight Saber Tooth Tigers, mostly subtle, but I come from a very long line, evolutionarily speaking, of gallant men willing to defend women against those Saber Tooths. The whimpy men didn't make it, evolutionarily speaking.

All I ask it that someone feeds me when I get home. God willing.

Hay

o

LOL! I fix breakfast AND move the heavy furniture!

My DH runs his own business. He should list me as President and CEO since women-owned companies receive better tax breaks, etc.

Time for me to go ask him for a raise. He got an extra helping of linguini with clam sauce last night!

o

The 800 lb gorilla is the last 30 years of wage stagnation / decreases, forcing families to now have at least two earners as a single salary isn't going to raise a family.

o

It sickens me to no end.

I was in the workforce for 35 years. I was underpaid, when I spoke up I was demoted and showed the door, when they thought they had waited long enough to be safe.

I was sexual harassed, when I reported it I was told I was blowing the situation out of content. Then when I clocked him I was showed the door. His hands on my butt when I bent over to get something out of a file drawer was my fault. I guess it was my fault for having a butt his hand had to touch the thing. Not once but every chance he got. No to him meant "not now try it again next week".

I sued both times and won but I should not have had to sue. Forcing companies with laws makes them understand that it is wrong to not pay women what they have earned and give them the respect of being human.

o

Employees' pay including that of women should be based on the job, skills, experience, and merit not race, religion, sexual preference, or gender. It should especially not be predicated on ridiculous anecdotal "statistics". That's the law now actually. Bias in pay based on bozo "statistics" (also known as discrimination) is ALREADY ILLEGAL.

The defeated bill voted down by Republicans would have simply removed the barriers to compliance with the existing law.

o

Meanwhile I will let you and the other republicans on this forum take control of women's bodily functions. Every flock does need their judas goats, even though some of them are nanny goats.

Ya that's what they're doing, yet once again, the resident minions are trying to tell us that they don't really mean it.

Regressives wanting to discriminate any which way they see fit.

o

Yummy. French Toast. Who needs a woman!!!

Here, I've taken the first step for you.

(Notice that men wrote it. I couldn't find one written by a woman. )

I hope one of you will treat me to a night of wining, dining and dancing if it works out.

Hay

o

I guess that proves that women don't know as much about being a dummy as men. Thanks Hay. Is there a how-to book for dummy male legislators?

o

Republicans also blocked the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act.

Whereas one of the members of this party advocates for throwing acid at Democratic Senators.

That says it all.

o

When I was young, single and naive, I was refused a raise to the same amount of salary as my male colleague in the same position because "he's married and has a family to support and you don't".

I've always wished I had sued their asses off, and legislation like this bill, so blithely rejected by our favorite Republicans, might have given me the oomph to do so. I was afraid I'd lose my job entirely. Now we'll never know.

o

Circuspeanut, that sounds like the excuses my sisters got when they were in the workplace. Now days with both parents working and in some cases the woman being the chief earner, that defense of discrimination seems so antiquated and out of touch with modern families. Its not like men lose if their wives earn fair pay or take maternity leave. Just more evidence that Republicans are stuck in the 1950's when families were single earners.

o

Yep, KT, and this was in Washington DC in the mid '90's, believe it or not. I still can't believe I was such a ninny as to let it pass, but I was very weary of looking for work (had just finished grad school and academia was in a bad slump, no positions anywhere), and was afraid I wouldn't make it without the salary, even the lower salary. Ugh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here