Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DC told IRS workers to target tea party

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 18:42

Lois Lerner won't talk, but we're in luck because her subordinates will.

Imagine being a person of integrity and being ordered by superiors to do things you know are wrong, and that your superiors know are wrong and have no business asking you to do. Nobody deserves to be put in that position.

Glad subordinates are giving investigators the information their bosses won't. I'm with the majority of Americans who want a special prosecutor.

FTA: "House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) revealed new testimony from IRS employees on CNN's State of The Union on Sunday. According to transcribed excerpts released by the Committee, a Cincinnati IRS employee made it clear they were told by Washington, D.C. personnel to give extra scrutiny to Tea Party groups:"

Some testimony from workers:

"Q: So as of April 2010, these 40 cases were held at that moment in your group; is that right?

A: Some were.

Q: How many were held there?

A: Less than 40. Some went to Washington, D.C.

Q: Okay. How many went to Washington, D.C.?

A: I sent seven.

"Q: So you prepared seven hard copy versions of the applications to go to Washington, D.C.?

A: Correct.

Q: Did he give you any sort of indication as to why he requested you to do that?

[…]

A: He said Washington, D.C. wanted seven. Because at one point I believe I heard they were thinking 10, but it came down to seven. I said okay, seven.

Q: How did you decide which seven were sent?

A: Just the first seven.

Q: The first seven to come into the system?

A: Yes.

Q: Did anyone else ever make a request that you send any cases to Washington?

A: [Different IRS employee] wanted to have two cases that she couldn't -- Washington, D.C. wanted them, but she couldn't find the paper. So she requested me, through an email, to find these cases for her and to send them to Washington, D.C.

Q: When was this, what time frame?

A: I don't recall the time frame, maybe May of 2010.

Q: But just to be clear, she told you the specific names of these applicants.

A: Yes.

Q: And she told you that Washington, D.C. had requested these two specific applications be sent to D.C.

A: Yes, or parts of them."

More at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: DC told IRS workers to target tea party

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DC told IRS workers to target tea party

It's quite interesting that Issa only allowed the release of excerpts of the testimony and not the full transcript. I wonder what he's hiding, don't you nikoleta?

o

Issa’s charge drew a rebuke from the panel’s top Democrat, Elijah Cummings, who said the chairman’s statements were “reckless” and that no one interviewed by the panel has identified an IRS official in Washington who directed the Cincinnati office to use terms like tea party to target conservative groups.

“Chairman Issa’s reckless statements today are inconsistent with the findings of the inspector general, who spent more than a year conducting his investigation,” Cummings (D-Md.) said in a statement. “Rather than lobbing unsubstantiated conclusions on national television for political reasons, we need to work in a bipartisan way to follow the facts where they lead and ensure that the IG’s recommendations are fully implemented.”

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Candy Crawley got Issa to admit that the whole transcript was not presented and that the testimony was not definitive that there was any direction from DC.

But, what would you expect from Issa?

Here is a link that might be useful: Issa is sure he'll find something, sometime, somewhere.

o
Rove's recent Meltdown...

"When David Plouffe confronted Karl Rove with evidence that his Bush administration used the IRS to investigate the NAACP, Rove melted down and stammered baloney.

HUFFINGTON: They’re not supposed to do too much politics. I’m sure if we look at Crossroads GPS, you know it’s all about politics…

ROVE: No. No. No.----------------------

Rove lied about his association with GPS by leaving out one important detail. Rove isn’t on the board, but GPS works in direct conjunction with the group Rove founded and still advises, American Crossroads. Rove saying that he isn’t involved with GPS was just like Mitt Romney claiming that his presidential campaign wasn’t involved with the pro-Romney super PAC Restore Our Future.

Plouffe was correct. Liberal groups were also targeted by the IRS. Bloomberg reported that the IRS sent the same letter to Democrats that they sent to tea partiers. -

The IRS did something to the liberal group Emerge America that they never did to the conservatives. They revoked their tax exempt status.

Stop me if you have heard this one before, but when confronted with evidence of the Bush administration targeting liberal groups, all Rove could do was stammer the word baloney repeatedly. Under George W. Bush, the IRS investigated the NAACP’s tax status for two years. Rove even gave the reason for the payback when he pointed to the Bush administration’s outrage over an ad that the NAACP had run."

It is easy to see why Rove’s Crossroads groups have had so little success taking on the president. David Plouffe ran circles around Karl and his talking points.

Rove kept shifting his story so much that he went from blaming Obama to blaming Democratic senators to blaming the culture at the IRS. Rove is supposed be one of the Republican Party’s great spin masters, but even he couldn’t make these IRS allegations stick."

Here is a link that might be useful: Peta isn't happy either

o

It only takes half truths and partial transcripts to rile up the base and Issa is a pro at it , especially when it comes to this President who he openly loathes.

Releasing fragments of the testimony is a warning sign that the information is being released to forward a political agenda , not an honest attempt at bringing the truth to the people.

Edited because I wrote the original post before my first coffee.....

This post was edited by chase on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 12:11

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 9:47

Issa spelled backwards is AssI........., so there.

o

Issa, in the same interview with Crawley, called Jay Carney, the WH press person, a "paid liar." When pressed, he said they'd find something to prove that claim. Which then led David Ploufe to tweet:

Strong words from Mr Grand Theft Auto and suspected arsonist/insurance swindler. And loose ethically today,

It seems Mr. Issa, who will do anything, illegal or not, to make money (read up on his background) evidently thinks everyone acts as he does.

o

I do not think that Issa should have said that publicly.

It was poor judgment to say it, even if it is true.

o

Seems that Issa has a lot of this "poor judgement", problem.
Seems to have followed him around for most of his life.

Now what's up with that?

o

Bill Clinton had the same problem.

John Kennedy.

Barney Frank.

Mark Sanford.

David Petreus.

Marion Barry.

Ted Kennedy.

Now what's up with that?

o

"Tit for tat" is so unbecoming and so very immature and accomplishes nothing, nor does it answer a very simple question.

o

......but sometimes it is all that one has as an argument.

Issa has serious credibility issues all on his own....but one can;t go there if one doesn't have clear and specific arguments of their own.

o

Posted by littleonefb z5MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 17:35

"Tit for tat" is so unbecoming and so very immature and accomplishes nothing, nor does it answer a very simple question.

AU contraire!

Learned at the feet of the masters here.

o

Tit for tat is almost as unbecoming as childish sarcasm......

o

Targeting? I thought that's what the IRS has done for decades. Don't they have profiles of the type tax returns that indicate a likelihood of cheating and target them for an audit? I've always paid my taxes and if profiling/targeting catches those that don't, I call that good government.

Isn't unjustified use of tax exemptions a type of cheating? Some political activities are barred for the organizations seeking tax exempt status. If coming from a name implying political activity, shouldn't those be singled out for investigation?

Profiling. Targeting. Is there a difference?

Where's the scandal? I guess I don't get it.

o

What totally astounds me is how few people even bother watching the hearings. This could be any one of us being harassed by an arm of the government. Threatened, unethical, and at times illegal treatment of the citizens of this country. It doesn't matter if you agree with their politics, because one day there will be a republican administration, and please, let's make sure that the shoe is never on the other foot.

o

"one day there will be a republican administration, "

The changing demographics and the polarizing stance taken by the Republicans make that doubtful in the foreseeable future....

o

"The changing demographics and the polarizing stance taken by the Republicans make that doubtful in the foreseeable future.... "

Ahhh, so IRS, carry on, at least for the foreseeable future then.

o

Profiling. Targeting. Is there a difference?

Where's the scandal? I guess I don't get it.

The difference is that it is a Democratic Administration in the White House. One that the Republicans have hated since the Democratic Primaries way back in 2008.

The winner and then the re-elected winner was not supposed to happen, stolen this and that stuff, the nonsense with the birther stuff, born in a country that didn't even exist when the birth took place.

It's the fact that the "victims" where Republicans, and TeaParty ones at that, it the difference.

The fact that "profiling" goes on daily with the IRS doesn't matter, it's when it attacks the GOP/TeaParty that there is a problem.

Doesn't matter that the general public is profiled daily by the IRS.

Doesn't matter that the public is warned and continued to be warned about what not to do to get yourself flagged with your tax returns, starting in January of each year.

That's profiling, but that's fine. It's targeting the GOP that is an issue, especially when has something to do with some GOP linked organization wanting tax exempt status.

Heaven's forbid that there is some checking and rechecking to be sure this is a legit organization and not a front for something else.

"One day there will be a Republican Administration"

Not any time soon, as long as they continue down the path they are going.

One does not get elected when one alienates voters at every possible opportunity, especially when the voters being alienated are more than the ones not being alienated.

Keep dreaming if you think the White House is going to a Republican any time soon.

The last attempt ended up losing by 47%. the same number that was alienated by the candidate. Every time the GOP opens it's mouth, it's an insult to one segment of the electorate or another.

Just look at the candidates the GOP keeps coming up with.

Makes one wonder exactly what the GOP is "smoking or drinking" when one hears what they have to say.

o

Like I said, I'm astounded at the number of people who have not watched any of the hearings.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 19:31

Why MrsK, didn't see anybody holding/watching a hearing years ago when the "tax gestapo" screwed me and mine ... they said you can't "fight city hall", try taking on these thugs.

o

Like I said, I'm astounded at the number of people who have not watched any of the hearings.

Not everyone has the time or ability to sit and watch various hearings on TV, Mrskjun.

Many people work during the day, and if they post here on HT during the day, it is a quick post from work.

Others are involved in various volunteer and or charitable causes and are not near or in front of a TV either.

And there are many of us, like myself, who do not have cable/fios/satellite attached ti their TV and therefore do not have the same access to viewing as you do.

Find it amazing all you want, not everyone, views TV or has the access or time to sit all day and watch TV as you seem to be able to do.

None the less, that doesn't make them any less knowledgeable as to what is going on or make you or anyone else watching the hearings any more knowledgeable.

Those that do not support the present administration will always look for and find fault, responsibility where it doesn't exist with The President, and those of us that do support the administration will see through the absurdities of the GOP and their claims.

People are not ignoring the hearings or watching them as you imply in your statement. Life does not revolve around a TV screen and watching hearings. It just doesn't work that way.

o

This could be any one of us being harassed by an arm of the government. Threatened, unethical, and at times illegal treatment of the citizens of this country.

Ahhh, so IRS, carry on, at least for the foreseeable future then.

Unless you are speaking for yourself that statement is nonsense. If you actually read what people post you would know that no one said that.

Where was your outrage long ago? You make it seem like this is the first time it has happened. Ih as been happening for years. The silence before this was deafening.

As I said above, this just seems like selective outrage motivated by hate of the current administration. Perhaps if this wasn't predicated on a specific, biased agenda others would show more support but under the circumstances it is difficult. If the teaparty didn't come across as politically motivated, pandering to the Palin crowd etc. they may not be facing this. Their need for media exposure and attention put them in this place and now they are complaining about it. They did it to themselves with their grandstanding and rhetoric so.It is hard to find empathy for them based on their actions over the last few years.

What astounds me is that those screaming so loudly now haven't been angry over the way the IRS works long before this. Selective outrage based on a political agenda is polarizing as you can see. Perhaps next time they will do it for the right reasons, not this.

I am outraged at how the IRS works but not because they are giving the teaparty a hard time, because they do so to others who don't deserve it.

o

I think the reason nobody is watching the hearings is because what the IRS did made sense under the circumstances. I wonder what some of those genuises in the Congress would do if they were facing a record number of 501(c) tax-exempt status applications, a limited number of employees to review them and a ton of criticism from both sides of the poltical aisle for granting tax-exempt status to too many organizations who were primarily political. Just maybe if some of those in the Congress were operating under those circmstances they would have developed some search terms that would cull applications from groups that might be political in nature and subject those applications to greater scrutiny. I would be in favor of permitting Darryl Issa (or whomever the Republicans want) to provide the IRS with a list of left-leaning search terms and have the IRS cull applications using left-leaning terms too because I don't think we have any business granting tax-exempt status to organizations who engage primarly in political activities and to heck with whether those political activities are right leaning or left leaning.

o

Like I said, I'm astounded at the number of people who have not watched any of the hearings. Why is it astounding? I am working all day and don't have time to watch hearings. I don't even think this "scandal" is all that interesting. Benghazi flopped and so now the republicans are trying to gin up a new cause celebre. What a waste of taxpayer (my) money.

o

om, I can't even imagine. One man who only happened to show up on one of the donor lists had to spend 80,000.00 on tax attorneys and accountants just to prove he was in total compliance with the IRS. He had the money to do it, but what about the people that don't? The IRS has the capacity to ruin peoples lives. Not just republicans or tea party, but ordinary people like you or I. If nothing else, these hearings are showing us the extraordinary power this arm of the government has over ordinary people, and something needs to be done about it.

o

For those that can't watch, do we hope that the Media does watch and reports on what is being covered?

Not snark, serious question on what we expect of the Media here.

o

o

She got real sloppy she has been doing this since the early 1990's.

have a great day all....the truth will always be the truth, and that's what all of us honest people want, and Im assuming that all of us when we lay our heads down at night are happy in the fact that we lived the day honestly.

o

One man who only happened to show up on one of the donor lists had to spend 80,000.00 on tax attorneys and accountants just to prove he was in total compliance with the IRS.

Uh, maybe he was cheating on his taxes?

The IRS has the capacity to ruin peoples lives. Not just republicans or tea party, but ordinary people like you or I.

Unless you are cheating on your taxes or trying to pull a fast one, there is no reason to fear the IRS.

o

Unless you are cheating on your taxes or trying to pull a fast one, there is no reason to fear the IRS.

There is no reason to fear the IRS. However an audit can be time consuming and expensive if your return is complicated. I don't care how honest you are and how complete your records, an IRS audit is stressful because there is always that nagging thought in the back of your mind that you've missed something. It takes time to prepare for an audit. If you choose to have someone represent you, there can be a significant cost.

o

That is not true at all.

Sometimes one can have an audit from $$$$ because of red flags that turn out to have no basis. Sometimes one can have associations with someone involved in a criminal investigation and yet have no criminal activity on their part, and become part of the investigation.

That means a big headache--lots of time spent worrying and complying, and mainly accountant and/or attorney fees which can go into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on how far reaching the case is, or how big a business is.

So yes--people have reason to fear the IRS process--whether they are innocent or guilty.

I recall a quite elderly lady that worked for a man as an employee, yet had knowledge of how business was run, associates, what kind of books were kept and where--all sorts of information that would solidify a case of fraudulent filing of tax returns. The poor lady was hyperventilating when I showed up with my badge, she didn't want to lose her job, was fearful of giving information that would get her boss in big trouble, and yet she didn't want to get in trouble with the IRS for not telling the truth.

Jerzeegirl, do you think she didn't have fear the morning of our interview?

She didn't do anything wrong and she was most definitely fearful. Rightfully so.

o

No jz, that is the whole point. He wasn't cheating on his taxes, and in the end it was proven that he had paid all of his taxes and was in total compliance. But, he did donate money to the Romney campaign.

o

The IRS gets it wrong and does harass and destroy people, sad to say, but in this situation, I'm starting to think the IRS was right to target these groups, on both the right and the left.

The only benefit gained from the IRS designation is that a group doesn't have to make their donor lists public, but you still have to prove you are a SOCIAL WELFARE GROUP, and prove you are not going to engage in politics.

Considering the clamor from the Tea Party and other groups like them during the last election, they are most certainly political. For heaven sakes, they are trying to be a political party, so they should be thoroughly and completely investigated and if they can't meet the criteria, they don't get the designation. They are trying to game the system for their own benefit, and now that they've been caught, they are whining.

o

Jerzeegirl, do you think she didn't have fear the morning of our interview?

Honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. If she did nothing wrong, she had nothing to fear. And if she knew her boss was committing some kind of wrongdoing and she was abetting him, then she should be fearful.

o

Wow! You didn't and don't watch the hearings so the ones profiled and harmed by an inquiry that may even be illegal are obviously in the wrong. Where did you get the information to make your determination?

If you made that determination strictly on the sayso of political pundits supporting one particular party, then maybe you don't have enough info to make an honest determination. No need for equal protection under the law!!! They were just asking for it!!! Good Progressive Candy Crowley showed that bum Issa he needed to present all 200+ pages right then and there even if there wasn't time to talk about just the salient points!!!Bankrupt the bums if they don't agree with Progressives!!! If they were good little Progressives they wouldn't have this problem!!! They disagree with Obama so they must be punished!!!

When you have obviously not even tried to see the situation from both sides or even if the IRS actions were legal, you could not possibly be qualified to have an opinion. I have seen so many untrue and misleading and even stupid remarks on this thread it amazes me. You don't even seem to want laws to be upheld. You just want that D#$%^& Tea Party destroyed even if you have to break every law in the books to do it.

o

sleeplessin ftwayne:

I have seen so many untrue and misleading and even stupid remarks on this thread it amazes me.

Can you be more specific about which comments you claim were untrue, misleading and/or stupid?

And what about these comments?

You don't even seem to want laws to be upheld. You just want that D#$%^& Tea Party destroyed even if you have to break every law in the books to do it.

Who is the "you" that supposedly is willing to break laws in order to destroy the Tea Party. "DC"? Is "'DC"" code for Obama?

Finally, why wouldn't the IRS want to focus their limited resources on organizations that claim tax exempt status, claim to not have a political agenda, and are dedicated to tax avoidance and eliminating government agencies ....including the IRS? Those groups should have received a higher degree of scrutiny to determine whether or not they were entitled to tax exempt status. The Tea Party is not an enemy of Obama, they are an enemy of our government and hence, our people and our country. So yes, lets take a close look at them to determine if they should be allowe not to pay taxes and maybe even to avoid the potential anarchy, secession, and second amendment solutions to problems that some of them have threatened us with.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 14:33

o

You just want that D#$%^& Tea Party destroyed even if you have to break every law in the books to do it.

The Tea Party will destroy itself through its own stupidity and cupidity. As far as your rant goes, you have just as much information as we all do so it's a bit premature to draw conclusions.

o

I have seen so many untrue and misleading and even stupid remarks on this thread it amazes me.

So have i including false claims like posters who dislike the Tea Party don't care about the law or they don't want to see the IRS face repercussions if they broke any.

You don't even seem to want laws to be upheld. You just want that D#$%^& Tea Party destroyed even if you have to break every law in the books to do it.

That is simply your opinion but not what others have written on the many threads about this topic and simply is not true based on fact. No one has condoned anyone breaking laws including the IRS.

Many want the laws upheld and have for some time -- even before this theater began and have stated as such. But many also don't think that some of these groups are eligible for the status simply by what we have seen, read, learn or know. You seem to have missed the fact that many other groups have gone through this over the years that happen to not be the Tea Party or share their ideology. Many have wanted this addressed long before this. Some of us are suspect of the motivations behind this dog and pony show and feel that this is being done less because of laws and more to forward a political agenda since this has been happening under other administrations and there has been nothing but silence. Many feel this is just selective outrage.

Once again, the IRS needs to be fixed and has for a very long time. As for the Tea Party, it doesn't matter if we like them or not. The onus is on them to prove that they are not political just like everyone else that applies is required to do and they fit the guidelines for the status. No exceptions. Our like or dislike doesn't fit in the equation.

Many of these groups have displayed publically that they are political. So all your sighs, wows, etc. that you post to show your aggravation and disgust at the posts doesn't mean much in the real world. The law is the law and if they want tax-exempt status and the perks that come with it then they need to behave as everyone else does and deal with the scrutiny that many other groups also face or finally change the laws and the guidelines. The IRS has been used as a weapon for too long.

o

Isn't this tax exempt status to political organizations that influence voters in support or opposition of a candidate enough for them all to lose their tax exempt status? Tax them all.

I would consider a tax on the churches that speak for political parties and candidates too.

o

The IRS like many other government agencies have a life of their own and they have had for decades...even longer.

The CIA , FBI, Defense, Procurement ( forgot their 3 letter name) all have had scandals, all have had abuse . They need oversight and that is exactly what the auditor provided in a totally unbiased way. They reported the abuse of the IRS , there was NO interference from the WH.....it worked like it should.

It is not a Democratic thing or a Republican thing it is a cultural thing in American bureaucracy which did not suddenly happen in the last 5 years.

Americans need to grow up and face the issues for what they are and stop making it a nanananabooboo thing.....it isn't your guy or my guy it is our guys...!!!!

....but then again that would be working together left and right to make things work for the people and we can"t be having any of that....

o

Then tell me, please, why the applications were not simply refused? Why was documentation demanded that was neither required or legally applicable to the application? Why were applicants asked for information that the IRS had no business asking?Why were they threatened? Why the lengthy delays? Why were some sent to DC when it was not normal procedure? Why were membership lists and details passed on to organizations opposed to the applicants when any information given to the IRS is supposedly confidential?

I could go on but I doubt you would give any credibility to these or any other questions. BTW, I read info from all sides. Presently the excuses that have been flying from the IRS bigwigs and the politicians who apparently seem to think it is their own little fiefdom have long since verged on the ludicrous. It is blatantly obvious there is an Enemies List in action. After the Nixon debacle I hate to think it could happen again but right now it seems that it is.

o

You will have to ask the IRS. Unless we have the knowlege of what each organizations activities are and how/where their money is spent no one can answer that question. The same questions could/should be asked about the identical problems that other organizations are also facing including some charter schools, hospitals, non-profit media groups, camps, and the other groups that have already been mentioned on other threads and are also being reported in the news. If you are reading about it from a wide variety of media than you must know about them too. No outrage about them?

And let's not forget that this also occured in the past to various groups with different ideologies, under different administrations.

Back in 2008 the IRS scrutinized groups that applied and then finally denied several of them status after long investigations because it was found they spent too little money on charitable programs, another because they were found to have worked politically; other groups that were scrutinized over the years were, again, hospitals who either had the status already and were being questioned or were applying for it, charter schools were subjected to the scrutiny similar as the TP is now and some were finally given the status after long delays and others were denied. Where has your outrage been in the past? Where is your outrage that the IRS has been auditing people that adopted children moreso than others? The list can go on and on. The problem is larger than the TP and longer than this administration.

The IRS needed to be fixed long ago.

o

Enemies list, hah!

Unlike the Congressional Republicans whose list contains one enemy - Barack Obama - and will do anything.

o

I find this hilarious. The liberals want to defend the IRS simply because they have been targeting conservative groups, and at this moment in time, that is just hunky dorey. You really don't get it do you?

o

The liberals want to defend the IRS simply because they have been targeting conservative groups, and at this moment in time, that is just hunky dorey.

I haven't seen anyone defending the IRS.

Everyone so far says they were wrong, need to be cleaned up, have needed to be cleaned up for years .... where is the defense?

o

Well, just keep laughing because that's all you have. The economy's getting better; a great majority of the people will have health insurance starting next year; we are almost out of the Afghanistan. The republicans have to keep the scandal pie plates spinning because there's nothing else for them to grasp on to as they sink into their own cesspool of hatred and revenge.

o

The liberals want to defend the IRS simply because they have been targeting conservative groups

Apparently you don't read what other people are posting. If you did you would know how ridiculous that statement is. No one is defending the IRS. Spin away if it makes you chuckle.

where is the defense?

There is none. She's apparently just making things up for her own amusement.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 19:52

o

"I haven't seen anyone defending the IRS."

Sure you have.

"Of COURSE you shouldn't have been raped, but you wore that skimpy dress!"

o

WHAT? How does that give an example of someone defending the IRS?

Could you please give an actual quote of someone defending the IRS?

o

Is your goal to trivialize rape, Nik? Because that's what it sounds like when I read your posts.
If that is not your goal, perhaps it's time to do some thinking about what you are writing.

o

JZ, what do you think will happen when the Fed stops pumping money into the economy?

o

Sure you have.

Sorry Nik, all one has to do is read and they can see that no one has defended the IRS so making it up doesn't work nor does it make it true.

Adding the additional sentence that you did is not only meaningless and has no bearing on this conversation it just shows your own character, or lack thereof.

You continue to create thread after thread after thread about the same thing different ways trying to create something that simply isn't there. A boogie man. You have done this for the last 5 years ad it hasn't worked. You have turned into the epitome of the boy that cried wolf.

o

"WHAT? How does that give an example of someone defending the IRS?"

It doesn't.

It was a prompt to help you recognize the template so you can be consistent in blaming the criminal instead of the victim.

Rapist: Of COURSE you shouldn't have been raped, but you wore that skimpy dress!

Domestic abuser: Of COURSE you shouldn't have a black eye, but you talked to that guy!"

Jim McDermott: "Of COURSE you shouldn't have been targeted, but you asked for that tax exemption!"

o

It was a prompt to help you recognize the template so you can be consistent in blaming the criminal instead of the victim.

Nah, just more tasteless drivel.

How does this fit in with your conspiracy against conservatives theory? Breitbart, Fox, et al forgot to include this tidbit of info in their talking points.

IRS Approved More Conservative Groups Than Liberal Groups Selected For Review: Report

An analysis of a list of groups approved for tax exempt status, released by the Internal Revenue Service in the wake of its admission to targeting conservative groups for heightened scrutiny, determined that of the groups approved, more than two-thirds were conservative.

The analysis, by Martin A. Sullivan of Tax Analysts, examined a list of 176 advocacy organizations that were ultimately approved for tax exempt status by the IRS during the period when the service admits to having targeted certain conservative groups with inappropriate criteria.

According to Sullivan's analysis, 122 of the groups were conservative, 48 were liberal or non-conservative and 6 remain of unidentified ideology.

The IRS released the list on May 15, after senior official Lois Lerner announced that the IRS had been inappropriately targeting conservative groups in its review of groups seeking tax exempt status for political activity.

The inappropriate targeting included the appearance of keywords like "tea party," "patriot" and "9/12" to sweep up groups for further review. Among the approved groups, 46 had names that include those words, according to Sullivan.

Sullivan's analysis, however, does not illuminate much about the targeting scandal. It shows that conservative groups were reviewed and approved more often than liberal groups, but it does not state the total number of conservative and liberal groups that applied for tax exempt status during that period. The analysis also does not identify the ideological breakdown of groups that applied and have not been approved, since the IRS is prevented by law from providing the names of groups still being processed by the service. All of these caveats are noted in the analysis.

At least one error was readily identifiable in the Tax Analysts' analysis. A group named U.S. Health Freedom Coalition is listed as a liberal or non-conservative group, when it was in fact created by the conservative group Americans for Prosperity as the principal funding mechanism for ballot initiatives opposing the implementation of the Affordable Care Act in Arizona and Ohio. The group is run by Eric Novack, a former Americans for Prosperity fellow and known conservative activist.

Here is a link that might be useful: IRS Approved More Conservative Groups Than Liberal Groups Selected For Review

o

It obviously means you can't find an example of someone here defending the IRS, nik.

just more tasteless drivel.

Yep.

o

If the IRS did what is alleged they did ....and accordingly to the auditors report they did.....then those involved must be held accountable.

Where it all falls apart for me is when some try to make this stick to the President. They want so bad for something to actually stick to him that they loose perspective and embrace any version that implicates him no matter how far fetched it may be....as in the allegations about his step, or maybe it's half brother, his nationality, him being a secret Muslim.....on and on.

When I was away I met more than one person so consumed with hatred for this President that they had no end of theories about him.

Bizarre and quite frankly indicative to me that there are a whole bunch of non thinkers out there.

o

Bizarre and quite frankly indicative to me that there are a whole bunch of non thinkers out there

Spot on Chase. They regurgitate the misinformation they are spoon fed without thought. Just read the "Debunked But Repeated" thread. They don't even read the links they post let alone apply any critical thinking skills they may have. Then when called on it, they cry victim. It has grown tiresome.

o

"Where it all falls apart for me is when some try to make this stick to the President."

Or to "rogue agents" in Cincinnati.

Here is a link that might be useful: Who is Carter Hull?

o

Or to "rogue agents" in Cincinnati

*Cue the conspiracy music*

I wonder what actors will play the roles in the next D'Souza fauxumentary?

Harrison? Denzel? Angelina Jolie as Lerner? or maybe Meryl? Oh darn, they are all dems. Looks like it will have to star Clint arguing with an empty chair.,,again.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 20:18

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here