Rodney King dead

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 18:46

Poor guy, dead at 47.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rodney King dead

RIP Rodney King.

The video of his beating finally put an end to any illusions anyone had about the LAPD, and exposed the self-serving excuses regurlarly issued by the department when accused of tolerating, if not encouraging, a culture of police abuse.

o

Seemed like he was finally getting his life back together. He made a difference.

RIP

o

Getting his life back together? He won a multi-million dollar settlement and still died broke and jobless!

o

At the very least, Ink, this will be good for a showing of the racism that still exists, as defenders of crooked justice pounce to complete the task of pounding the final nail in that coffin.

Rodney King may have had his own demons.. who doesn't... but he certainly showed the LAPD where their demons were, and where they still lie within America.

It's not up to us to judge him... but to think about what it is that keeps this country from getting along as it should.

Mr. King will forever remain an icon, a reminder of the fight that people of difference face within what should be a nation of equality, peace, and "christian" compassion.

o

Not a great role model as an abuser of drugs and alcohol. But he looked a lot like Little Richard and we still have him...

o

You don't need to be a great role model to point out injustice and abuse where it festers within our system.

o

The worst and the best of all of us. The riots that ensued costing millions of dollars and innocent lives. Reginald Denney, pulled from his truck and beaten almost to death by four black men. Then saved by four black men. Two black drs part of the team that reconstructed his face. Evil has no race, and neither does good.

o

Drinking, doping and diving. Bad mix!

Getting his life back together? Is that what it's called?

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 9:47

Symbol, metaphor, allegory, emblematic of a time, place, strata, systematization within our society... personification of a rift, has it healed, can we get along?

o

"Can we all get along"

No, Rodney.
We can't.

o

I fear you're correct, Mylab... if we say up, they'll swear it's down... if we say yellow, they're swear green.

It matters not that Mr. King's personal life was none of anyone's business, and what he did hurt no one but himself. He had some issues... so what? No one is perfect. But no one deserved what he got at the hands of those sworn to serve and protect.

What matters is that the beating he took at the hands of LAPD broke open the brutality and racial profiling that was going on. In my opinion, true justice was never served in that case. And this sort of brutality and profiling goes on all the time, still.

o

If you think you can take a persons normal life away by causing irreparable internal injuries from a beating and condemning him to a lifetime of pain and then think that it can be made right with money you live in a sad place. If the victim spends that money unwisely while fighting whatever demons he took into the beating plus those he gained because of the beating I would not judge him too harshly. What lessons can I learn from this? The value of money compared with the value of a life. The pay out Rodney King received was what was judged to be the price, not the value.

o

If he was that miserable with his life than maybe he is better off dead.

o

Nice one houseful, compassion spelled with an 'f'.

o

Compassionate conservative sentiments on Hot Topics.

o

But isn't quality of life more important than life itself?

o

So you were making a plea to improve the quality of Rodney Kings life, houseful, sorry I misunderstood. How do you measure the quality of a dead guys ex life exactly so that you can conclude that he is better off dead?

o

"How do you measure the quality of a dead guys ex life exactly so that you can conclude that he is better off dead?"

Think about that for awhile, Ink.

o

I'm pretty sure evil had a face and it was Stacy Koon's. Mr. King's personal life never mattered to me, the point was citizens of all type in LA were being abused by the LAPD in the 80s/90s. Including me and my friends. IMO, that riot was about the LAPD, not Mr King. LAPD still regularly kills, wounds and beats citizens and the Police chief (Beck) rarely reprimands or fires the cops involved, so I'm not sure the message really go through to the most important parties, even after Mr King, the riots or the Rampart scandal consent decree.

o

And you in your condescension thought that I had not already thought about it for a while? If I thought for one minute that you were capable of taking this discussion a stage further I would willingly engage, unfortunately you are another internet game player with no investment whatsoever who is only interested in scoring points.

o

I second what dicot wrote. For all the fawning in the press over Bratton and his so-called reform of the department, during Beck's time the same old problems continue to resurface. My rule of thumb: If the L.A. Times is criticizing, it's probably a lot worse than what's being reported.

Beck facing rare criticism: Improper use of force is tolerated too often, police panel says

Since Beck took over as chief in late 2009, the commission has ruled on about 90 incidents involving officers who fired weapons or used other deadly force. In almost all of them, Beck concluded the officers used force appropriately and urged the commission to clear them of wrongdoing. The board followed his guidance most of the time.

But in four shootings -- in which three people were killed and three others wounded by police gunfire -- the commission went against the chief's recommendations and ruled the officers' use of lethal force was inappropriate.

In each of those cases, Beck either refused to impose any punishment on the officers or gave them only a written reprimand, The Times has found. In a fifth incident, Beck agreed that the officer had been wrong to fire his gun but nonetheless chose not to punish him.

The chief's apparent unwillingness to suspend or demote officers, or to initiate the process to fire them, in these types of cases has worried a majority of the commission. Beck, they say, is ignoring their conclusions that the officers made serious, often deadly, mistakes. And they fear the lack of punishment may be sending a dangerous message to the LAPD's rank-and-file officers that the consequences for a bad shooting are minimal.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 20:08

Seattle is having problems with police thuggery also. It's the cops-and-soldiers subculture in action, there is a whole sector of society that lives and thinks in separation from the rest of us. Perhaps what it most resembles is the criminal element it is supposed to to be cracking down on. Probably a hoary cliche he picked up somewhere, but my dad used to say the main difference (in the basic mindset) was which side of the badge they were standing on.

o

I would prefer it if the police around here would be a little *more* strict and unwielding, but I doubt that would happen. Nonetheless, myself and many other citizens are constantly watching to make sure there are no egregious violations of civil rights and we do contact the mayor or our council person if we notice something fishy.

I don't think some of you understand that many inner city areas *are* a war zone, or approximate it quite closely. To operate in a war zone, the police need to behave more like soldiers.

More offensive than the police are the ridiculously lenient courts that let offenders out with "community service" and probation, only so they can be arrested yet again by the same police who arrested them to begin with. It's sad, really, and I know it's led to burnout for many police officers. The police can't do their job when judges let people go with teeny weeny sentences. The prisons have become a revolving door - some people need to stay there a little longer and stay off our streets.

It's sad when you go downtown to the Justice Center and so many of the thugs hanging around outside know each other. "what did you do this time?"

Sad.

o

Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 9:24

"The prisons have become a revolving door - some people need to stay there a little longer and stay off our streets."

Statistics do not support your statement. Crime of all kinds is down once again, nationwide, across the board. One of the hypotheses as to why this is true for the first time ever during an economic downturn is the fact that the number of those incarcerated continues to rise. More people in jail for longer terms, fewer on the street to commit crimes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crime Down

o

No. Rodney King is not a role model. Call him lots of things, but role models (while they don't need to be perfect) have good morals. He completely lacks morals! He's just the guy who was the first one filmed. The door was opened, but he's just the shmuck who ran from the police while drunk and high because he didn't want to go back to jail. Getting police on film to keep them in check is a good thing, but the guy who filmed the over-reaction is a role model, NOT Rodney King. His name is George Holliday. Him, I celebrate.

Dr. King is a role model. He certainly revealed a lot of injustice while living a good life. Role model!

o

I said, "Mr. King will forever remain an icon, a reminder of the fight that people of difference face within what should be a nation of equality, peace, and "christian" compassion."

His name will be remembered whether people want it to be or not.

And I fear that Dicot and Nancy are right... as the police state tactics at Occupy sites attest to... little is being done to stop the unnecessary brutality and the profiling going on. Reprimands and firings for "bad" shootings and poor public servant behaviors are too few and too lax.

There's a line colored blue...

o

House, the only person who can decide if their quality of life is worth living is the person him/herself or, if that person is medically incapable, someone responsible for the person's best interests in the long term. Rodney King was capable of deciding that his quality of life was good enough to live, a child without brain function enough to survive without machinery would need someone in charge who had enough courage and compassion to allow the poor child to die with physical comfort and dignity.

I thought we covered that in several other threads.

You House, are certainly not qualified to make the assumption for Rodney King regarding his life and if it was such that he would be considered better off dead.

And thank goodness for that.

o

Let Kelly Thomas be your "reminder of the fight that people of difference face within what should be a nation of equality, peace, and 'christian" compassion.'" Or the peaceful OWS protesters. There are some sane people. Rodney will never remind me of that. He was doing something wrong. The rest I've named were innocent bystanders. And if the police had done to Rodney's passengers that they did to him, I'd be singing a different tune. They didn't pick someone of race and beat them. If so, why not the passengers? It was wrong, but it wasn't motivated by race. It was motivated by unchecked power.

o

Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 15:18

Rob, from a historic, cultural, societal POV who Rodney King was doesn't matter, only that he was.

o

It was motivated by unchecked power.

Robb, in Los Angeles Rodney King is seen as as example of police abuse that had long been alleged but never as completely and undeniably confirmed as by George Holliday's video. His beating was the impetus that lead to the ouster of Police Chief Daryl Gates, pioneer of paramilitary policing, showed the desperate need for an independent civilian review board, and started public discussion on police abuse.

The man had his demons, but his vicious beating made Los Angeles face a reality that could no longer be denied, or excused. I don't think anyone sees Rodney King as a role model, but a figure whose experience with the LAPD set off a chain of events affecting that department, city government and the rest of us Angelenos.

o

So who was he? Because that's exactly what I am refuting. He was a drunkard, drug using, running from the police good for nothing-to the end. That's all I see. He didn't deserve that beating. I'm not saying that. But he aint no good, and I will not revere him for any reason.

GEORGE HOLLIDAY set off the chain. His video 100%. It's not like Roddy set up the filming. He's a shmuck through and through. It coulda been anybody in that situation. Anyone who ran probably would've gotten that wrath. Anybody else standing there, likely, wouldn't have filmed it. Quick thinking George! Yay for George!

o

So who was he? Because that's exactly what I am refuting.

It doesn't matter; at that time he was the victim of LAPD abuse that couldn't be explained away.

o

Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 16:01

Rob, I hope no one of your loved ones ever suffers from an addiction of any kind. Drugs and alcohol ruin too many lives and tear too many families apart. That is not an affliction I would ever wish upon anyone.

It is my understanding that his death is being investigated as accidental drowning and also a possible suicide. A neighbor reported hearing crying and someone trying to console followed later by a splash.

"One of King's neighbors, Sandra Gardea, 31, said she heard a man crying in King's backyard from about 3 to 5 a.m. King and his fiancee were the only ones home at the time, according to police. Gardea also heard King's fiancee trying to coax him into the house.

"It's wasn't like an argument," Gardea said. "She was just saying, 'Get in the house. Get in the house.'"

Gardea, whose open bedroom window faces King's house, said then there was silence. A few minutes later, Gardea said she heard a splash."

o

Things wanted or needed - maybe alcohol, maybe drugs, maybe solace at the bottom of a swimming pool.

Robb, no one's holding up Rodney King as a hero despite the fact that hero is often applied to anyone at any time for anything. History wasn't very convenient for Mr. King and he floundered his way through the role into which he was unmercifully thrust.

Don't know why I thought of this - maybe our achingly bad attempts at poetry over on the "Conversations" side, but did you all run across Desiderata in your high school days?

"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here..."

So it was with Rodney King.

o

Whatever. I am hearing the tone loud and clear. He's a fantastic person that didn't deserve what he got. No. He was a bad person who didn't deserve what he got. If y'all made the commotion over Kelly Thomas or the OWS woman who was pregnant but lost her baby that you're making over him, we might've seen some real progress in Congress and on CA city streets. And I grew up in Monterey. I love the place.

Try the UK's more fact than emotion based paper. They have no dog in this fight. Not a neighbor. Cynthia heard him. She only called police and there are conflicting stories from her. But her comment is:

"King's fiancee Cynthia Kelley told police she was woken up by the sound of King banging on the window of their California home just after 5am on Sunday and found his lifeless body at the bottom of the pool a few minutes later.

He had allegedly been drinking all day and smoking marijuana."

And the friend. The story isn't like you're making it out:

"Neighbour Sandra Gardea, 31, reportedly heard a commotion in King’s back garden at about 3am.

‘It just sounded like someone was really sad,’ she said. ‘There was a lot of moaning and crying. Another person was trying to console that person.’

She added that it was several hours later when she heard a splash, and that’s when police and paramedics arrived."

Here is a link that might be useful: DailyMail-UK reporting of it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here