Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Churches attacked again in Nigeria

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 19:05

I posted about Boko Haram 2 years ago I thin the response was zip save for someone spanking me telling me it was all about oil.
I fear they were wrong in that assessment & that nothing has gotten any better & Churches continue to be attacked. This latest episode by a suicide bomber ( that's extreme when you think about it someone kills themselves in order to kill others in this case Christian) rather disgusting.

Boko Haram of course are salafists dedicated to eradicating written democratic or secular law & the establishment of an Islamic state. So far they have killed thousand I presume most were Christian but other non cooperative Muslims might also part of their quarry.
Still want to tell me this is about oild or virulent fundamentalist insanity that needs to be exterminated like a mad dog. OHH Joe that's harsh....not really!

Here is a link that might be useful: More pain & suffering

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Churches attacked again in Nigeria

But it begs the question, what should we do about it...

o

My thoughts exactly! It's unfortunate that when a person steps in to stop a crime, he's a hero. But when a country does it, it's bullying.

o

Northern NIgeria is a perfect example of the breeding ground for this kind of fanatical activity. NIgeria is relatively wealthy from the oil, but the distribution of the wealth to the wider population - particularly the rural north, is essentially non-existant, and the place remains desperately poor in the shadow of corruption and incredible wealth from corruption.

They have one of the highest birth rates in the world, one of the youngest average populations, and an unemployment rate over 80%.

This is the place where all kinds of rumors about vaccination abound, but with cause - they've had issues with deadly fake vaccinations, people running around with banned vaccines, and its here we have the mutant-virus Polio vaccines killing people. Not something that builds trust with Western Culture

Then you have a history of slavery between the north and south, increasing religious clashes between the Muslims and Christians - the Jos Plateau is sort of a Christian enclave in the North.

It will only get worse.

o

The crickets can be heard here as Americans simply don't want to deal with any more of the world's internal conflicts...

o

There are so many, Tobr... so many issues and problems around the globe... it's frustrating, frightening, sad, angering, and there's little the average citizen with no funds can do about much of it... except acknowledge it exists, and keep writing letters to our representatives.

o

No crickets is correct. I'm wondering does Boko Haram just get lumped in as another fundamentalist group or as guaranteed violence under any circumstances other than a complete Islamic state.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here