Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mr Issa what do you have there

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 22:18

"Elijah Cummings, the ranking member of the government oversight and reform committee, sent a strongly worded letter on Thursday demanding that the committee’s chairman, Darrell Issa, identify any information in the committee’s interviews with IRS employees that was deemed too controversial to be publicly released."

WHAT GIVES?

Here is a link that might be useful: What Gives

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mr Issa what do you have there

Politics, maybe?

o

Politics probably...

o

It was the same with his hearings on Benghazi. He only released the info he wanted released, the info that supported his biased view.

o

But after a burst of attention, Issa’s investigation appears to have stalled. Although he turned up embarrassing material - has any government official been humiliated quite like the IRS commissioner in the dorky video dressed up as Spock? - Issa hasn’t made the all-important connection to the White House. And he may not be able to. The news this week that he won’t release the full transcripts of his interviews with IRS officials - interviews he selectively quoted from to imply White House complicity - suggests that what they contain may in fact exonerate the administration of the very charge Issa is laboring so hard to prosecute.

The Republicans need a better attack dog. Or better facts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Investigation Is Falling Apart

o

It's got to be true its FOX.

"A veteran Internal Revenue Service manager in Cincinnati, who described himself as a conservative Republican, told congressional investigators that he and a colleague decided to give conservative groups the extra scrutiny that has exploded into a firestorm of political controversy, according to a letter released by Representative Elijah Cummings (D-MD) to Rep. Daryl Issa (R-Calif.), chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.
Cummings is also demanding the committee publicly release all IRS interviews conducted by staffers, and that it issue “a comprehensive and bipartisan report.”
The letter says the IRS manager told him he and a colleague set aside “Tea Party” and “patriot” groups that had applied for tax-exempt status since the applicants appeared to be engaging in political activity.
Cummings said in his letter to Issa that the information came from an unreleased “key” interview last week with the IRS manager who supervised the team of screeners that evaluates applications for tax exempt status in Cincinnati, and that “this official stated that he is a ‘conservative Republican’ with 21 years experience at the IRS.”

Here is a link that might be useful: in the hen house

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 9:10

Mr Issa is that a Subpoena in your pocket? because you sure don't seem happy to see me.

o

Why does he have to make a connection to the White House esh? Why can't they just find out where this did come from and start firing or prosecuting people. I don't understand why people like Cummings want to say, that's it, let's move along. There could well be republicans in power next go around. Don't you want to make sure this can't be used in reverse? Whether it is low level people, or high level people, if people are fired or prosecuted, the agency as a whole need to realize this will not be tolerated.

o

Why can't they just find out where this did come from and start firing or prosecuting people.

and in the post 2 above,

A veteran Internal Revenue Service manager in Cincinnati, who described himself as a conservative Republican, told congressional investigators that he and a colleague decided to give conservative groups the extra scrutiny that has exploded into a firestorm of political controversy....

o

The Holy Grail of Issa's dog & pony act was to connect this to the White House K.

o

I personally don't think he has to connect it to Obama ... that however appeared to be a personal goal of his, mrskjun.

I'm all for investigation for investigation's sake, not a witchhunt.

o

This is the man that the CA GOP didn't want to run for governor to replace Gray Davis. They know something that the congressional GOP is now learning.

o

Before this supposed scandle goes anywhere someone is going to have to show that the targeting of organisations was not for being political in nature but for supporting a particular political view. I haven't seen any significant evidence to that yet and it's beginning to look like nothing more than a Republican smear tactic.

o

"House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa is refusing to release transcripts of IRS interviews that reportedly prove how Obama administration officials directed the IRS to target conservative groups, despite earlier promises to release them.

In a letter to Rep. Elijah Cummings, Issa retracted his pledge to release the transcripts, stating that it would jeopardize the integrity of the investigation and inhibit the committee’s ability to seek the truth.

By limiting the transcript’s release, Issa argues witnesses will feel more comfortable coming forward to talk about the agency’s targeting. Rather than release the transcripts on an arbitrary timeline, Issa hopes to release them with the progress of his committee’s investigation.

“Raising public awareness by releasing limited portions of transcripts decreases the likelihood that retaliations will occur,” Issa said. “When agency management know the press and Congress are watching, witnesses tend to be less likely to be demoted or fired.”

Cummings, who asserts that there was no White House involvement in the IRS targeting, said he would release the transcripts by the end of the week or on CNN with Issa.

“Chairman Issa changes his mind so fast that even when I agree him, we’re not on the same page,” Cummings said. “I fully support responsible oversight, but cherry picking transcript excerpts to fuel partisan and unsubstantiated claims is not a credible or effective way to investigate.”

Issa responded in his defense, saying Cummings was “playing politics” and accused the representative of shielding Obama and his administration from investigation.

“I trust that people can read and see exactly what happened,” Cummings said, noting that government, its officials and affairs should be transparent. “To me, no matter what the transcript says, there’s nothing to hide.”

Here is a link that might be useful: and the dog jumps on top of the pony, then the dog jumps down, and then the dog...

o

Mrs, I would agree that the focus should not be about trying to blame this on the WH., it should be about getting to the truth, However Issa , as well as some on this forum , are desperate to make this all about the President.

Sometimes it seems that is much more important than the truth.

Looks as if it may even turn out that the IRS was acting appropriately in that they felt there was a definite political purpose to the groups seeking tax free status which would disqualify them.......wouldn't that be an interesting turn of events.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 17:46

"Issa responded in his defense, saying Cummings was “playing politics” and accused the representative of shielding Obama and his administration from investigation."

So Cummings is shielding Obama by wanting all the transcripts released to the public? Sounds more like assI is shielding his party from becoming even more obscure.

o

"Issa responded in his defense, saying Cummings was “playing politics” and accused the representative of shielding Obama and his administration from investigation."

More like, the truth will not be what Issa says it is, what he claims it to be and all the excuses in the world are not going to change that.

His witch hunt is blowing up in his face and he's trying to do what he can to save it, save face and not look like the fool that he truly is.

If Issa really wants the truth, then it is high time he listened to the truth, and not go into hearings or anything else with the preconceived notion that Obama is at the head of everything and that everything "turns on Obama's orders and Obama's knowledge and that he is the cause of everything wrong in this country."

It's high time he aimed for the truth, reality and "let the chips fall where they may", even if it is not what he wants to hear.

Is Issa just simply unable to deal with reality, unable to accept the truth, or is he truly mentally unstable and totally obsessed with the destruction of The President's administration and his destruction that he no longer can see how destructive it is to the country?

I hope that Elijah Cummings actually does what he said he would and releases the full transcripts so that everyone will know what the truth is, not what Issa has decided to hand pick for the people to know.

o

Democrats on the House Oversight Committee have just released a full transcript of testimony from a key witness in the investigation of IRS targeting of conservatives - and it appears to confirm that the initial targeting did originate with a low-level employee in the Cincinnati office.

It also shows a key witness and IRS screening manager - a self described conservative Republican - denying any communication with the White House or senior IRS officials about the targeting.

The ranking Dem on the committee, Elijah Cummings, has promised that the account provided by the witness - the IRS manager in Cincinnati who supervised the screeners of applications for tax exempt status, the self-described conservative Republican - would undercut Committee chairman Darrell Issa’s suggestion that the decision to target conservative groups had originated in Washington.
Cummings released the full transcript today in two parts, making it initially available to a select group of reporters, with redactions of names of individuals, and accompanied it with a letter to Issa explaining his decision, in which Cummings concludes that the transcript “debunks conspiracy theories about how the IRS first started reviewing these cases.”
This comes after Cummings had previously insisted Issa release the full transcript himself, arguing it would show that the Republican chairman’s claims of White House involvement are false, and that Issa’s own selective release of testimony was misleading the public. Issa refused, insisting that releasing full transcripts would damage the investigation. Cummings then asked Issa to detail what specifically in the transcript would do this, and demanded an answer by yesterday. According to Cummings’ letter, Issa has yet to reply - hence the decision to go forward with the release today. snip end quote

And at the link, we have the relevant part of the transcript, where the self-styled conservative republican IRS manager who talks about grouping teaparty applications together so they all get the same treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Senator Joseph McCarthy (R-WI) (deceased) was famous for using similar tactics while chasing commies, pinkos, and fellow travelers in the post WWII decade. He was brought down by his own side feeling the shame of those performances. Rep. Issa better watch out (except his party in power would never attack him no matter how much of sham the performances are.)

o

Sleaze, thy name is Issa.

o

"and it appears to confirm that the initial targeting did originate with a low-level employee in the Cincinnati office.

It also shows a key witness and IRS screening manager - a self described conservative Republican - denying any communication with the White House or senior IRS officials about the targeting. "

...but it won't matter . I guarantee that even here on this forum people will still blame this on the President ......all the while complaining that he blames Bush for everything.

There loathing for this President cause total blindness to truth and facts.

o

Issa deliberately withheld information that exonerates the WH in the "supposed" IRS scandal in an attempt to malign the President.

Wonder when the outrage from the right will start. I would expect that those that were duped by Issa and his allegations will be furious to have been lied to.

The man has absolutely no credibility. Wonder what he held back in the Benghazi hearings???

From the transcript...

" Republican and Democratic committee staffers interviewed IRS official John Shafer on June 6 about the agency's decision to scrutinize a tea party group's application for tax-exempt 501(c)(4) status. Shafer, who identified himself as "a conservative Republican" and said he'd worked for the IRS since 1992, said that he and a fellow screener initially flagged a tea party group and continued to do so with subsequent applications in order to maintain consistency in the process.

He said his team flagged the first tea party application because it appeared to be a high-profile case, and he wanted to make sure all high-profile cases received similar attention.

Asked plainly, "do you have any reason to believe that anyone in the White House was involved in the decision to screen Tea Party cases?" Shafer replied, "I have no reason to believe that."

"Do you have any reason to believe that anyone in the White House was involved in the decisions to centralize the review of Tea Party cases?" he was asked. "I have no reason to believe that," he replied.

Asked if he had "ever communicated with [then IRS] Commissioner Shulman about the screening of Tea Party cases?" he replied, "I have not."

o

The man has absolutely no credibility. Wonder what he held back in the Benghazi hearings???

It would appear that he withheld the truth, but that is no surprise, is it?

o

It would appear that he withheld the truth

Pity us in California; it's reported that this man still has ambitions to be our governor.

o

Just another dirt bag playing games.!

o

Nancy, hopefully there will be enough of you to prevent him from winning any election, let alone governor.

It might be, though, that he has done himself in with all his lousy game playing.

It's amazing how those games can come back to bite him in the rear end.

Yup, talk about a "dirt bag" labrea. might even call him one of the "king pins" of the dirt bags.

o

Interesting that not one of the regular posters here who have been all over this issue cares to comment on this latest finding......

Again I say...the truth is not what they care about......the only thing that matters is making the man they loathe look bad

o

Oh, I'm sure FOX cable news is all over the information released by Cummings, and how this contradicts all their speculation in the past.

o

They are probably not even reading this thread. I know that once I decide a thread is of no interest, I don't open it again.

Again I say...the truth is not what they care about......the only thing that matters is making the man they loathe look bad

So true.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here