Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HBO's The Newsroom

Posted by nine7xbam (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 22:45

Anyone watch the pilot episode of the new Aaron Sorkin series on HBO Sunday night ? If you like the fast paced banter and wit of other Sorkin shows like The West Wing and Sports Night chances are you'll like this show about a news program trying to return to the Murrow/Cronkite type of journalism . The speech anchor Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels) gives in the beginning about America no longer being the greatest country in the world (in which he insults both left and right) to students at Northwestern sets the tone from the outset . HBO is showing the pilot free on hbo.com,utube ,iTunes ,and other online platforms if you don't have HBO.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Newsroom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HBO's The Newsroom

Yes, we saw it last night. We'll be watching it again next week. We missed the first 20 minutes due to watching Dowton Abbey on PBS but it was re-broadcast again so then we saw the speech which set the tone for the series, I think. Too bad we don't have people like Sam Waterston's character that want to actually report the news instead of entertaining the hordes. Very good subject too - the BP Deepwater Horizon spill, so we could relate to what was happening in the newsroom.

o

Don't get HBO here but would love to see it.

Dockside, has Downton Abbey's new season started ?!? I'll be suicidal if I missed it.....well that's a bit dramatic ...let's just say down right p!$$ed !

o

Watched it because I loved, loved, loved West Wing.

Too bad we don't have people like Sam Waterston's character that want to actually report the news instead of entertaining the hordes.

Agree

o

Sam Waterston's character steals every scene he's in . Coincidentally there is now a twitter account called @iamdrunksam after Patton Oswalt tweeted if the drunk Sam Waterston character on The Newsroom doesn't have a twitter account by midnight , we've failed as a nation .

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterston Twitter Account

o

No, Chase, the 3rd season hasn't started. We were watching the last episode of season 1. We didn't know about Downton Abbey until this year, got hooked, and when our PBS station showed Season 1, we made sure we saw all of them.

o

A fabulous series.....don't you just love Maggie Smith, actually all the characters, upstairs and downstairs, are marvelous in their roles!

Anyhow, glad I didn't miss a beat.

o

I enjoyed the first episode as well. I also enjoy Downton Abbey. You can catch the first season on Netflix Instant. I hope they do the same with the second season.

o

I loved The Newsroom (and Downton Abbey too). I am glad there's a replacement for the Sunday night shows we watch which all had season finales (Mad Men, Nurse Jackie, The Killing) in the last few weeks.

o

The new Mad Men series has started......we taped them while we were away. We are on the 4th episode of the new season.....slow start but getting interesting!!!

We have seen the entire second series of Downton and anxiously awaiting the third....

o

I enjoyed The Newsroom. But I don't know if the cast is overall as strong as on, say, The West Wing or SportsNight. But I'm going to keep watching.

I'm having a little trouble with Sam Waterston being the rumpled tippler. He seems to be channeling Hal Holbrook, but I think it is taking him a bit against type (for me). And the Allison Pill character is annoying me with her nervous girliness alongside her apparent irresistibility to the to rival producers. A bit forced for episode 1 of an Aaron Sorkin series.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 20:07

Newsroom - Liked his opening speech, he would have done ok without attacking the student like he did. The rest of it needed saying.

o

I liked the Alison Pill character and loved the Waterston portrayal of the tipsy Charlie Skinner , but wasn't crazy about the Emily Mortimer character or her name of Mackenzie MacHale . Next week Olivia Munn will debut as the hot financial corespondent . Lets hope this series doesn't get canceled like all the other shows she has been on since Attack of the Show on G4 . HBO renews it's series after just few episodes so we will know soon if there is a season two .

o

How I wish I knew that they were doing the re-runs to catch up on Downton Abbey, I SO badly want to see this series, it sounds like it's exactly my kind of viewing entertainment! :(

DVRed Newsroom and am set to DVR the whole season of it , will watch it when I am "in the mood" - which might very well be after it breaks for the season!

I still haven't watched the last four shows of HOUSE - a show I loved. I'll get to it when I'm in the mood and probably watch the last four shows in a gluttonous television session, when I am having a quiet day/night.

I often don't watch any TV entertainment shows for several weeks straight during the summertime. We walk in the evenings, do casual and unexpected entertaining, shop etc. but in the Winter we tend to hibernate more and do more television watching on week nights.

o

If you know someone who does subscribe to HBO you could watch HBO and other cable network shows simply by borrowing their password if they use HBO to Go?

Before anyone has a stroke.. this was recently discussed and HBO and the other cable networks are fully aware that this is happening. Because people want to see what they want. when they want and how, there is no way to track them...ISP may be for your pc but not the same service provider, at all, on your phone or tablet. The cable networks are trying to figure out where and with who they are going to end up. And for now, they generally are of the mind that a wider audience, even an unpaying audience, will eventually pay once hooked.

There is so much new technology and for better or worse, people expect to be entertained whenever and wherever they want.

I think, sooner rather than later, you will be able to subscribe to these networks unbundled. Can't come soon enough, if you ask me. Cable TV costs a small fortune..and for what, really? A million channels with nothing on.

So, like I said... have a friend or family member who subscribes? As long as they are a subscriber and register a password you may borrow it. Just think of the swaps...have HBO.. but no Showtime... swap.

This allows people to watch anywhere.. online, from online directed to your tv, on your tablet, pc, whatever.

There is going to be another huge shakeout with this rapidly advancing technology.. HBO and the cable networks will still be standing..will the cable companies?

Sea

o

The second episode was not as good as the first , but the Olivia Munn character looks to have promise . And the on air interviews with the so-called immigration experts in Arizona were hilarious ! HBO has just given this show a second season so that's good news (no pun intended)!

Here is a link that might be useful: Second Season

o

Yes, DH and I were really laughing at the on-air interviews, especially the beauty contestant (Miss Junior North Carolina had to have been the prototype for that interview). Just wish it wasn't on so late on the West Coast, but we just sleep in on Monday morning (it's so nice to be retired).

o

I want to like it but something is not clicking and I cannot put my finger on what is not clicking for me. It definitely is not as good as West Wing. I do think it is the actors.

o

I watched it Sunday for the first time based on this post & what great writing & fast paced dialogue that doesn't speak down to the viewers. A nice mix of characters & motives.

o

marquest: I know what's not clicking. For some reason the women on the show are being treated like incompetent idiots. The executive producer, who spent time in the field covering a war, can't figure out how to send an email on her iphone? The assistant producer (Maggie) blowing the phone interview with Jan Brewer's office. Meanwhile, no matter what Jeff Daniels does or how bad he screws up he is still looked on as a god. I still like the show but they have to do better on the female characters.

o

Darn it you called it Jerzeegirl, I kept saying why are they so stupid. I did not realize that was what was annoying me. I do not like women projected as just plain dumb or sex symbols. The entire show was stupid, sex symbol, dumb beauty queen. Everything was dumb woman.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 17:53

I need to tape it and replay it slowly so that we can keep up with the dialog, our listening isn't as quick as it used to be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here