Return to the Hot Topics Forum

o
Imagine Romney during Katrina or BP oil spill

Posted by heri_cles 11 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 0:44

Hurricane Katrina took the scab off some of the impoverished communities like the Ninth Ward in Louisiana. Can you imagine Romney having anything relevant to say to those impacted by that disaster?
This guy is more out of touch than George Bush. Romney not only is foreign to people on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale, he is foreign the way most Americans who he cannot relate to.

How about with the BP oil spill where President Obama made BP pony up 25 Billion to take care of potential clean-up costs, damage to fisherman, oil rig workers, and business on the Gulf. You think Romney would have done that? Nope.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Imagine Romney during Katrina or BP oil spill

Sounds to me you don't like Romney because he's white.

o

How did you get that out of the OP?

o

I'm more interested in why a tough businessman like Romney wouldn't make BP pay up, even more.
Poor Obama, if he wins re-election, just think of the mess being left for him to clean up.

o

Is there a third choice?

o

Hypothetical.

Unimportant.

Do not vote for Obama. The man has no principles.

o

... he is foreign the way most Americans who he cannot relate to.

Maybe this is why so many people thought his sudden surge in Twitter followers including 6 that shared the same avatar photo were purchased.

Here is a link that might be useful: #morefakemitt

o

Do not vote for Obama. The man has no principles.

Romney doesn't have any principles.

o

Mitt Romney is the most unprincipled candidate that has ever run for president. He will say anything to get elected. Most people can see that however, it doesn't bother those who want to win at all costs.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 7:21

Politicians and principles ... one of these words does not belong :)

o

"I'm more interested in why a tough businessman like Romney wouldn't make BP pay up, even more"

Mrs the one thing I think that some conservatives are overlooking is the fact that Romney would likely favour big business instead of the environment and individual.

I suspect he would not want to "punish" his big business buddies with a monetary penalty that would be harmful to their bottom line and to their shareholders.

Make no mistake about it Romney will side with business no matter what the issue no matter the impact on the American people.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 8:48

Mitt Romney 2012
Slicker than Oil

o

Make no mistake about it Romney will side with business no matter what the issue no matter the impact on the American people.

That is my impression as well.

o

There's so much real material to work with why do I need a fantasy.

o

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 8:54

Make no mistake about it Obama will side with the losers of this country no matter the impact on the American people.

o

"the losers of this country"?

o

Romney cannot and could not relate to common people.
That is why a hypothetical scenario is instructive.
Romney is running to be President of the ruling class.
He has already stated that he is not worried about the lower class, that the have a safety net, but that he wants to take those "freebies" away. He supports the Ryan plan, to kill Social Security and Medicare. He wants to repeal Healthcare Reform and the positive steps that it has made to get millions covered.

And on foreign policy, Romney is running to the Right of President Obama on military funding, on foreign policy and specifically on Iran. And consider a hypothetical situation with Iran. If you want another War, maybe even WWIII, vote for Romney, or like Brush will likely do, vote for Romney and swearup and down that you didn't when it works out badly.

o

While I think he may have sobbed at the oil loss of BP, I don't know how he might have reacted to a hurricane.

o

We'll see when laws are passed that give even more tax payer dollars to corporations, when the 53% are paying more in taxes than profitable corporations, when taxpayer dollars are used to subsidize corporation rather than bite into their profits then we'll see who the losers are.

o

Make no mistake about it Obama will side with the losers of this country no matter the impact on the American people.

That is the choice the American voter have to make.

Do we vote Business
or
American People aka Losers

Humm that is interesting.

o

Here's a new one: Romney excoriated Gingrich and Santorum for their lobbying; and yet what he try to keep hush-hush is that he himself was registered AS A LOBBYIST in 1999-2000 for the Olympics. A little more sauce for the goose, please.

Mitt Romney 2012
Principles Schminciples

o

Wonderful.

And Romney will side with the highly successful, that 0.01%, granting tax-free income on their dividends, capital gains, paper profit/derivative hedge fund investments, his vulture capitalist cohort, and give credence to an individual having myriad tax-advantaged overseas accounts in Switzerland and the Caymans, all the while masquerading as some mythical "job creator"

o

Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 9:39

"the losers of this country"?

Just illustrating that it's more complicated than presented with the comment, "Make no mistake about it Romney will side with business no matter what the issue no matter the impact on the American people" and the ensuing agreement.

There are two sides to the coin.

And businesses make the coins.

o

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 10:02

Wonderful.

And Romney will side with the highly successful, that 0.01%, granting tax-free income on their dividends, capital gains, paper profit/derivative hedge fund investments, his vulture capitalist cohort, and give credence to an individual having myriad tax-advantaged overseas accounts in Switzerland and the Caymans, all the while masquerading as some mythical "job creator"

If anyone with their intellect intact can't make it in this country, there is a problem.

Anyone here could be wealthy.

All that time complaining about what other people have and why others don't get enough of what they have could be put to better use creating wealth.

But one has to to get off of Gardenweb first.

o

This does seem to be a peculiarly USAsian view that there are only two classes of people like: winners and losers..haves and have not's... personally responsible or welfare queens...with us or against us. In reality most of us fit in the middle somewhere and every propagandist knows this and how to manipulate us with the carrot or stick rhetoric. If you buy this you are a winner if you don't you are a loser works just as well for politicians as it does for Nike.

o

Anyone here could be wealthy.

All that time complaining about what other people have and why others don't get enough of what they have could be put to better use creating wealth.

But one has to to get off of Gardenweb first.

Well, bless yo' heart, Missus Demifloid, I'sa sure gonna ge-ge-get offa my computer and go git me some mo-nay from shady Panamanian bank accounts, start up a vulture capital fund, buy up some functioning, profitable companies, use their pension fund for collateral and take out massive loans to pay myself millions, sell out, then let the company go bankrupt. Thankee once again, Missus, now you stay out of the hot sun, heah?

o

This does seem to be a peculiarly USAsian view that there are only two classes

Ink, you've painted an accurate picture of the U.S.

We don't do nuance - no matter how much it may be required by circumstances.

We're pretty pathetic, no?

My impression is that Mitt Romney is loyal to his class; business interests will be protected. In the case of competing business interests, may the best lobby win!

o

OF course most people fit in the middle.

But in the end, if we have our intellect and a modicum of health (even paraplegics are able to make good incomes) the fact remains that we are a product of our choices.

Spending time complaining that others have more is wasteful.

It's wasteful and useless and the fact that they do has nothing to do with the fact that you don't.

If people are waiting for a perfectly level playing field across the board and someone to knock on their door and tell what to do and give them every advantage they want in life, they are on the wrong planet.

You work with what you have.
People that have NOTHING and in fact experienced terrible childhoods, have serious handicaps, and have overcome many obstacles in life have managed to be financially successful.

My point is every minute complaining about what other people have and begrudging them what they have is a minute one COULD spend enhancing their own lives, and of those that they care about.

o

Why is it so hard to wonder that Romney would have been even easier on BP than Obama (who was pretty easy himself). Romney and the GOP stand against regulations (even after Bush & Cheney gutted the ones that were there as well and the federal agency that was supposed to have oversight) and for drilling with little environmental oversight. They receive the bulk of campaign funds from the oil industry and in return they reward the oil industry with tax breaks and actual tax subsidies and the GOP consistency torpedoes any effort to end these costly taxpayer giveaways. They wanted to limit BP's liability. It was Republicans who were against even a temporary moratorium on deep offshore drilling to address the safety issues. It was a Republican who apologized to BP for their harsh treatment under Obama. Do you all have amnesia for cryin out loud?

o

I can honestly say I have never heard anyone hear ever complain or begrudge what others have.

I believe it to be your interpretation of peoples views on taxation, loopholes, off shore accounts, tax breaks etc. and almost always which has nothing to do with begrudging what they have.

o

I believe it to be your interpretation of peoples views on taxation, loopholes, off shore accounts, tax breaks etc. and almost always which has nothing to do with begrudging what they have.

Then why the chiding comments about Romney not identifying with people without money and mocking Mrs. Romney's horses?

Why the smarmy assumptions that people with nice houses and cars and savings only care about material things and social position and their lives are shallow and not meaningful?

If you think for one moment that there are not people that begrudge others what they have worked for and accomplished, you are mistaken.

o

"Make no mistake about it Obama will side with the losers of this country no matter the impact on the American people."
In that case Obama sises with Marriage Equality & gay Rights I am A loser & proud to be.
In that case The President supports health care for all USIANS
so do I so in that case I am a loser & proud to be.
DEMI I won't attack your comment because you will just see another a case of me picking on you! Take responsibility for your own words.

o

Demi, I get the reaction as many that he does not care and cannot relate because of his comments and promise of what he will do if elected.

We have had and probably always will have rich Presidents. The wealthiest President I can remember that was loved was Kennedy. He was never thought of as not caring for people with less. Why because his words, policies and actions did not support that attitude.

When you are talking to college students as Romney did and they are struggling to get loans for college and he said borrow money from your parents. Really?

Do you see why people think of him as disconnected.

It has nothing to do with jealousy for me. Rich is relative. You can have all the money in the world and not be rich. I am comfortable and there is nothing I want that I do not have or can purchase if I think of something I want.

I think further than me, I think of what I cannot do to help as many others out there that I do not know that need help.

Demi, you seem to think that you are going to lose what little you have so much it is not healthy.

I am happy, I enjoy and love my life so I am rich.

o

"If you think for one moment that there are not people that begrudge others what they have worked for and accomplished, you are mistaken"

Oh I'm quite sure there are.....just not here.

Then of course there are those who look down on those that THEY consider to be "losers" and take every opportunity to say so. Same ones who say others are judgmental.

o

If worrying about the Federal tax rate on capital gains and dividends going from 15% back to 20% is the top thing one worries about, then I'd say they had things pretty easy.

Comes with the dripping, 'holier than thou' bogus accusations of jealousy.

o

Well, you could fool me because a disproportionate number of comments here are personal insults directed at people and groups of people for having more than they do.

A disproportionate number of comments are speculation and nasty speculation that those groups of people do not care about others only because they have financial success.

That's illustrated in the OP.

From what I have observed by participating on this forum for years is that we're all very rich in the only ways that truly matter.

So why talk so much about people that are "rich" with money?
Why does it get under the skin of some so much? Why do you assume those people are selfish, criminals, and only care about money?

Why do you care?

Labrea--the "loser" comment was explained.
I was illustrating that it didn't feel too good
with the shoe on the other foot.

Of course not everyone that Obama wants to help are losers.

But he does depend on the losers for votes, so he is more inclined to perpetuate their loser status with his support of certain programs.

o

Brush , you are a comedian. Obama has no principles?? OMG!!! Romney is the fakest guy ever running for president. He stands for NOTHING except making money and his rich cronies, Ask littleone who lived in MA when he was governor.

Maybe Joe can help me. I can't Google because I don't know their names, but this lesbian couple confronted Mitty when he was Governor and asked him what she should tell her 7 year old daughter why her mommys can't be married ,and he said very coldly ..tell your adopted daughter what you've been telling her for 7 years. The child was NOT adopted and when she was born to this woman , complications arose. Her partner couldn't come see her when she almost bled out and then couldn't see their daughter in the nursery. This woman said Romney is the coldest most unfeeling man she has ever see in her life. She said he looked right over her head as he talked with a smirk on his face. I'll try to find a link..

o

If that's the attitude and fear one must immerse themselves in to possess a lot in material goods and wealth... then I'll pass, thank you very much. Like Marquest, I find richness in much different areas of life, and I am extremely wealthy in many different respects... and instead of being jealous, am sorry for those who cannot see the forest for the trees. I just couldn't live that way.

The total disconnect the Romney's show to the greater portion of Americans will be their downfall. When an adult, running for a high ranking political position to represent the whole of the people, can't see that all of those people live different lives, there's a very large chasm of disconnect, there. It's painfully obvious that the Romney's only think of those who own silver spoons, and will only take care of that small sector.

Being a true representative of the people entails having a very open mind and heart... and not everyone has those qualities, more's the pity.

o

I think that Romney has better real life experience in dealing with big organizations in a crisis than Obama does.

I doubt that Romney would hem and haw for at least a week before he brought more of the government resources in to deal with the spill. Obama delayed calling this a "a spill of national significance" for too long. A spill of national significance lets the government take a more aggressive, more active role in the spill. I think that Romney would have moved more decisively quickly. I don't think that Obama had ever had to deal with a big crisis requiring the coordination of many people before. I suspect that Romney has either through his corporate experience or his Olympic experience.

When it comes to Katrina, once again, in my opinion Romney would have done a better job simply because Obama would have had no experience dealing with big organizations and crisis management. Obama has surrounded himself with some very smart people with much book learning but not much practical, boots on the ground experience. He studies some things too long when faster action is needed.

I do admit that I have a unique perspective since DH was very involved in the response to both events.

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 13:59

If that's the attitude and fear one must immerse themselves in to possess a lot in material goods and wealth... then I'll pass, thank you very much.

The only attitude one must have is a positive attitude, and the only fear required is the fear of not being able to take care of yourself and being dependent on taxpayers for your needs.

There is no need to immerse one's self in either, however.

o

I think that Romney has better real life experience in dealing with big organizations in a crisis than Obama does.

Not after 3.5 years of running the country.

o

And I got "Bridge in Brooklyn" I can sell you for real cheap.

o

From all I can gather, his tenure as governor wasn't all that exceptional or remarkable.

Aside from that experience, his tenure at Bain Capital was successful in the sense that it make him a boat load of money, but I dunno if that translates into becoming a good leader of the country.

o

Romney has real life experience outside of government that Obama didn't have when he was elected and still doesn't have. While I'm not impressed with someone who runs businesses into the ground for profit, I'm fairly certain that he has had more experience in solving problems as the "guy in charge" than Obama had when he entered office.

If he is elected (and I do not expect him to be), Romney will come into office with far more practical experience in running large organizations than Obama had when he was elected.

I'm still not convinced that Obama is as decisive of a leader as he needs to be at times. I know for certain that he wasn't during the week after the BP oil spill.

o

"Romney will come into office with far more practical experience in running large organizations than Obama had when he was elected. "

That's true then but it is no longer true...President Obama has serious experience behind him now.

o

>> Labrea--the "loser" comment was explained.<<

For gawd sake, labrea... keep up! She's not talking about those losers,

>>Of course not everyone that Obama wants to help are losers<<

>>But he does depend on the losers for votes, so he is more inclined to perpetuate their loser status with his support of certain programs.<<

she's talking about these losers. Geesh.

Another fine proclamation from Demi Antoinette...the OTHER kind of Queen.

Sea ~~~~~~~~~~rollin' her eyes

o

True Chase. I understood the question posed as how would Romney have dealt with the BP oil spill as compared to how Obama actually handled it. Maybe I misunderstood.

I sincerely hope that Obama learned from his experience of the oil spill. I think that Romney would have been better equipped to deal with the spill if (1) he was President and (2) the spill occurred 3 or 4 months after he took office.

If the spill were to occur in a year, I'm not sure that Obama wouldn't hesitate to act again. But I don't think that Romney would be as likely to hesitate. I'm drawing that conclusion on how I've observed businesses and governments generally operate.

o

Knowing Romney's allegiance to the money-makers/job creators (as they like to think of themselves), I think the only thing he would have been decisive about is supporting the big money interests. In which case, his being decisive would be irrelevant since Romney would be making the WRONG choice about how to deal with the situation. Who wants a president that will rush decisively into the wrong decision?

Kate

o

Posted by seashellsandpearls (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 16:03

Another fine proclamation from Demi Antoinette...the OTHER kind of Queen.

Sea ~~~~~~~~~~rollin' her eyes

JUST ONE MORE EXAMPLE OF A PERSONAL ATTACK FROM A POSTER I HAVE NOT ENGAGED, AND ONE MORE EXAMPLE OF A POSTER MAKING A THREAD ABOUT ME.

I know you have absolutely no rebuttal when you have to resort to breaking the forum rules and talking about me instead of the subject.

Just reminding those folks who the culprits are.
The ones that are incapable of making an argument, and only capable of calling posters names.

o

Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 18:10

"I'm still not convinced that Obama is as decisive of a leader as he needs to be at times. I know for certain that he wasn't during the week after the BP oil spill.

My memory isn't as precise as it used to be but I recall that the immediate days after the initial explosion were concentrated on putting out the fire and search and rescue for survivors, all the while BP was down playing oil leakage as a minimal concern. The leak rates kept creeping up, mainly thru media speculation via viewing the well head video. It was like a expert guessing game for several days as the truth was eventually exposed.
I see no reason why Romney would have not trusted the word of BP during this disaster any less than Obama.

o

DH was involved in the response from day 1. He spent countless hours in teleconferences regarding the spill. The media is not all knowing. I think BP was downplaying the leakage and the government knew. but the White House chose to go along with BP's downplaying.

I can't prove a thing. All I know is how angry DH was at the lack of response from the White House.

I think Obama was in over his head and responded by not doing anything.

o

JUST ONE MORE EXAMPLE OF A PERSONAL ATTACK FROM A POSTER I HAVE NOT ENGAGED, AND ONE MORE EXAMPLE OF A POSTER MAKING A THREAD ABOUT ME.

Are you to be engaged only be private invitation? If you don't like being engaged, then don't post. Your "loser" remark was pretty sh*tty.

o

jlhug, lets get this right. You were the one that was outraged at the very thought of President Obama saying that Business people did not make it on their own and the gov't did nothing for them.

Now you are outraged that President did not come and clean up a company's oil spill that was their responsibility. You are aware that OIL COMPANIES ARE A BUSINESS?

Demi,
The only attitude one must have is a positive attitude, and the only fear required is the fear of not being able to take care of yourself and being dependent on taxpayers for your needs.

More Demi fear of losing the little she has. As I said this is not healthy.

vgkg,
Your memory was right. Not only was the Coast Guard there on day one of the spill and the reports from BP was that it was not warranted for independent scientist to come in for assistance. Because BP is and was responsible to clean up and because the country is going to "H" in a hand bag because of the policies of President Bush it would have been expensive for the government to step in and pay for a oil spill that was not the tax payers responsibility. Plus they could not begin the clean up until they capped the spill.

Conservatives are very good at "shoulda, coulda woulda. Then why did, how did, should not have opinions. Should not have spent the Money now look at our high debt.

Guess who was responsible for the leak? "Halliburton". We all know where that money went.

Gotta love those Conservative hindsight.

jlhug, your DH might have wanted the work earlier but did you hear we are in debt? The oil company should have planned better and had some Personal Responsibility. Cannot expect the Gov't to help people in need.

Remember President Obama's speech we all need help. When the next spill happens people should not expect the gov't to step in because Business people can do it all by themselves.

o

Demi,
Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 21:45

More Demi fear of losing the little she has. As I said this is not healthy.

It is more than apparent that you and Seashells whatever are obsessed with me--your constant and repeated digs and references to my personal life when I do nothing but offer my opinion about topics is creepy.

Very creepy, Marquest.

o

Remember President Obama's speech we all need help. When the next spill happens people should not expect the gov't to step in because Business people can do it all by themselves.

Yea, I'd really like to see how those people would have gotten out of New Orleans. That Democrat Mayor Ray Nagin went to higher ground in Baton Rouge and left school buses empty while citizens sat on rooftops.

THAT is what the "government" does to take care of people--review the record to see what Democrat Governor Kathleen Blanco failed to do, too.

THAT's Government for you.
That's people for you, sitting around waiting for someone to do something for them.

o

Well Demi, that is what you said is suppose to happen. Gov't is not suppose to rescue people with your little bit of money.

You are right Bush did fly over and look down on the people drowning. But again it is the Conservative way. Personal Responsibility.

o

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 23:13

Well Demi, that is what you said is suppose to happen. Gov't is not suppose to rescue people with your little bit of money.

NO, I have NOT said that.

That is in fact a lie.

I speak for myself, you don't get to, Marquest.

Your creepy multiple comments to me about "your little bit of money" are over the top and harrassing.

If you actually have something to say that isn't an insult, a taunt, or wild speculation about my personal life and business, or a lie or misrepresentation of my opinions and beliefs, get after it.

Otherwise, knock off the harassment.

o

That Democrat Mayor Ray Nagin went to higher ground in Baton Rouge and left school buses empty while citizens sat on rooftops. ...see what Democrat Governor Kathleen Blanco failed to do, too.

Do you feel better referring to Democratic leaders as "Democrat?"
It has become a tongue and cheek pejorative that has not worn well.
As far as hiding and running for cover, Bush reading "My Pet Goat" for 7 minutes while thousands were being killed on 9/11, and then heading to Nebraska's Offutt airbase to go under ground, not being heard from for several hours, tales the cake. Not knowing where Bush was on 9/11 is one of the unsettling memories I have of 9/11. It made people feel that the government was not under control. It was beyond the Bush/Brownie Katrina act.

Your creepy multiple comments to me about "your little bit of money" are over the top and harrassing. If you actually have something to say that isn't an insult, a taunt, or wild speculation about my personal life and business, or a lie or misrepresentation of my opinions and beliefs, get after it.
Otherwise, knock off the harassment.

This melodramatic feigned outrage has gotten more than a little old. What's next, complain to the moderator again? And before you call marquest "creepy," you better check the forum rules yourself.

o

Reading comprehension isn't your forte, Heri, apparently.

I called Marquest's COMMENTS creepy, so stop misrepresenting what I said.

They ARE. The person is obsessed with me and making personal remarks about me and constantly making references to their speculation about my personal life and finances.

ALL I have ever said is that we saved for retirement and that I do not want my taxes raised.

So anything else is silly and creepy speculation, Heri.

Just like the creepy personal speculation you made about my body in your filthy post about me.

Neither time did I engage you or Marquest and I've never made remarks about your personal lives or engaged you about your personal lives.

So when you do it, I WILL address it.
Your choice.

Also, stop misrepresenting me, because although I should have, and now wish I did, I did NOT report you to the moderator for your disgusting filthy remarks to me asking me to show a photo of my body and making denigrating remarks about that.

Yes, I feel just as good referring to the failures of Democrats as so many here do referring to Republicans.

SO what?

o

Demi, if you do a search of "My Money" you will see how many times your name is in that post. So you have said many times how "your money" is a problem.

We had a long Wedding gift discussion that post you explained that expensive gifts, your money, was your issue. When someone have that much of a problem buying a wedding gift I would think you cannot have very much money. I was trying to be sympathetic to your problem.

When the gov't budget is discussed you have said you do not want the gov't giving your money to losers. You are extremely concerned about being taxed.

Since the proposed tax increase is a small percentage increase and you have expressed such concern, again, I thought you just did not have much and was worrying to much about your little bit of money.

You have called me many names and I ignore the your name calling. I know who and what I am so your little name calling does not bother me. I will continue to comment on a post as I see the situation. You want to call me a few more names to get it out of your system and it helps you.....have at it. lol

o

Demi said
"OF course most people fit in the middle.

But in the end, if we have our intellect and a modicum of health (even paraplegics are able to make good incomes) the fact remains that we are a product of our choices..."
-----------------------------------------------------

I think the problem is that most people do not fit in the middle anymore. Rather, we are losing our middle class, at least that's what I think.

I also think that choices we make are a determinant of our status, but only one, and that the factors that go into why we make certain choices is complex.

And then again I know good honest people who have made good sincere choices in their lives and have little monetarily to show for it. Maybe if they were a little more evil, lied a little more, deluded others as well as themselves a little more they might be better off.

Mitt's wife has an ownership share in a horse that's going to the Olympics- it's name is Rafalca. This horse get's treated pretty well, has good health care etc... and of course had trainers to teach it to prance sideways. Pretty well taken care off. Lot's of money spent on it. Been to Europe etc. I guess you could say it made all the right choices.

But then again, if we spent that kind of money feeding and clothing and sheltering the children of our nation, if we spent all that time and money and attention on their education, travel and well being with good health care and the like, might we also have some pretty great young adults to create a better world and lead this country forward?

Maybe they would then make better choices and have better choices to make.

o

People, why do keep feeding the trolls.

Ignore the kindergarten.

o
RE: ...Imagine Romney during Katrina or BP oil spill

Alex, you forgot to mention that this horse is subsidized by the taxpayer. If you can't afford to keep horses, don't keep them. Simple as that. Don't expect other people to finance your hobbies. It also illustrates their state of mind and their sense of entitlement.

That said.

Romney and BP oil spill. Obvious. He would give BP (and TransOcean, and Halliburton) even more tax cuts, to make up for their suffering. And does anyone really think he would have interferred with big business BP, regarding how they handle this?

Romney and Katrina. Obvious also. Bain revisited. Romney would do the same as the people in charge behind the scene back then. Save the valuable assets (affluent quarters), drown the rest (Lower 9th ward, Algiers...etc. People and all). Only difference would be he'd do it and justify it (wanna bet?).

Sidenote: The systematic, ongoing depopulation of certain parts of New Orleans speaks for itself. The Lower 9th ward, for instance, never got the federal aid it was granted. Where did those millions of Dollars go?

o

Marquest, I never, never said that what Obama said wasn't correct. I've said over and over that his speech was divisive in the way he stated his case. He started out with a "them against us" theme that tainted the entire message.

Maybe you forgot I have supported people with higher incomes paying more in taxes for the last few years. The only way we are going to get the debt paid down is by a combination of cutting expenditures and increasing income (taxes).

DH works for the government. He had the same job before Kartina and the oil spill that he continues in today. His pay didn't change because of any extra hours worked or any disaster. He already had the work before either disaster happened.

There is no point in trying to explain my position to people whose minds are closed against anything I write.

I hate to be the forum grammar police but

"Then why did, how did, should not have opinions."

makes no sense.

o

That's not a question of grammar - that's a typo.

o

"I think that Romney has better real life experience in dealing with big organizations in a crisis than Obama does."

Without question, jlhug. From managing corporations to organizing the Olympics to governing a state, Romney has a wealth of experience far beyond our "community organizer" who proclaimed he was ready to be President of the United States of America two years into his term as a US Senator.

He won, and here we are. :(

We're broke, we have more people signing up for disability than finding jobs, and our Big Government Democrat president and party stubbornly refuse to live within our means. They've even done away with Bill Clinton's work requirement for welfare recipients.

Unless we've lost our collective minds, we know Obama has to go. Even if we could afford another four years of on-the-job training, it's pointless. He's committed to turning our nation into a collectivist utopia where he and the Democrats "spread the wealth around" even when we're broke. That's no way to run a country. We can do a lot better, and I believe Americans are more than ready to make that happen.

o

Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 9:46

Division has been very successful for governments, why change something that works so well for a few.

o

I hate to be the forum grammar police but

I do not think you are being the grammar police. I appreciate if I type something and someone say they do not understand, it is not a problem.

Conservatives are very good at "shoulda, coulda woulda. Then why did, how did, should not have opinions. Should not have spent the Money now look at our high debt.

It was just slang and no punctuation problem. It could be a local thing. It is in there with the woulda, coulda, shoulda thing.

It means.....
Then why did, how did, should not have opinions.
After the money is spent, opinions are stated from the Right
why did? (he spend the money,)
how did?<./b> (he spend that much money)
should not have (spent that much money)
opinions.

As to your statement that you felt the President's speech was divisive my opinion is that is incorrect if you read the entire speech.

Opinions are usually made by reading the beginning, middle, and end to understand the issue totally. I don't think divisive was the spirit of the speech as a whole. One sentence or one word can make anything sound how you might want it to sound.

Your DH issue I mentioned.....was a reference that I know people like to get involved earlier than is necessary. Not that your husband needed the work. I am sorry if I gave you that impression.

Thank you for the no Drama response.

o

I respect your opinion but disagree. I've read the speech several times and listened to it. My opinion is that it was divisive.

Just like with CP, we will have to agree to disagree.

o

Nik why don't you post on Mylabs thread where she is asking for a factual basis of Obama's failings. It would be of real benefit if you could offer facts related to this statement He's committed to turning our nation into a collectivist utopia where he and the Democrats "spread the wealth around" even when we're broke

o

LOL yeah Nik, go put your neck on the chopping block , demi has been personally shredded pretty good, they could use some new blood.

o

Or, as Mrs K infers since there are NO facts to back up your claim don't do that otherwise somebody will notice.

o

jlhug,
Just like with CP, we will have to agree to disagree.

That is good because that is what HT is about.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 7:22
chase there is no way for you to know what he would have done during BP oil spill nor to know what he will do after he gets in office.

The left has such a dislike and jealousy of Romney they can't think any good of him.

Mitt Romney is a very principled man and a man of high morals as is his whole family.
He will do what is right for America in every aspect.

o

A compulsive liar, job-killer, animal abuser, bully, assailant, tax-dodger has "high morals"? No surprise. There's that constituency and their "values" again.

Not to mention the contradiction.

o

Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 7:40

While "sound bites" are quick and easy and require no real effort at thinking, many times they are stretching the truth if not outright fallacies. For instance: They've even done away with Bill Clinton's work requirement for welfare recipients

Although meant to "rally the troops", it is a good example of not really :)

Next

Here is a link that might be useful: source of course

o

He will do what is right for America in every aspect.

Do you fail to see that he is just a puppet? He will do what the Republican masters tell him to do. He is NOT his own man, he can't even keep his talking points consistent. He changes them to suit whatever he thinks is the popular thing to do - whatever will make people LIKE him.

o

Wow, it astounds me.

Truly, it astounds me.

Our country is in great peril because of the man so many of you supported and helped to elect, and you're totally ignoring what is going on right now, and SPECULATING about what a candidate MIGHT do if he is elected.

Now, that's way more disconcerting than Barack Obama getting reelected.

Wait, no, it's equally as disconcerting.

The man hasn't even accepted the nomination and you're all putting scenarios on the table.

I'm more interested in the man that does hold the reins right now, and we're headed toward the cliff, people.

I'd give Cheetah the reins right now, he can't do much worse.

o

Our country is in great peril because of the man so many of you supported and helped to elect,

There's your first misunderstanding right there. The economy is in peril for a lot of reasons - some of which started in 2007 and earlier (some laws and changes take time to bring us to where we are today, you know that). There is no one person or thing which got us where we are today. Heck, it is not just one country's fault either. In today's environment, we are dealing with a global economy.

The man hasn't even accepted the nomination and you're all putting scenarios on the table.

Mere formality and you know it. It's perfectly appropriate to examine what he might do with current problems and speculate how he might have handled past and future ones. It's part of vetting the candidate.

o

Note: No facts, nor numbers.

o

Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 9:33

Our country is in great peril because of the man so many of you supported and helped to elect,

There's your first misunderstanding right there. The economy is in peril for a lot of reasons - some of which started in 2007 and earlier (some laws and changes take time to bring us to where we are today, you know that). There is no one person or thing which got us where we are today. Heck, it is not just one country's fault either. In today's environment, we are dealing with a global economy.

Esh, I agree with you. It's not just Obama's fault.
But Obama had an opportunity to turn things around and he promised he would. In my view, he's made it WORSE and that is what is so egregious.

Esh, I also agree that Romney's nomination is a formality, but my point is, the speculation is WILD and the man isn't president and likely will not be.

Now, I understand speculating about what his policy would be, but the sort of speculation I see primarily on this forum is only trash talking the candidate.

There's a difference, and very few actually speculate on what his policies would be and the implications.

That was my point--with Barack Obama still at the helm, with all of the issues I enumerated, there are those making remarks about cookies.

That I don't get.

Excuse me, Maddie, did you say something?

Perhaps you are confused as to what kind of forum this is.
As stated by Gardenweb, "If you have an opinion on today's current events or other hot topics, feel free to discuss it here."

Quite often opinions require thought and the ability to articulate those thoughts.

For those that are either challenged in that arena are reluctant to actually make an argument or state a personal view, there are always links.

If I'm ever unable to do so, I know who to ask.

o

Whatever.

While "sound bites" are quick and easy and require no real effort at thinking, many times they are stretching the truth if not outright fallacies. For instance: They've even done away with Bill Clinton's work requirement for welfare recipients

'Stretching the truth' that's putting it mildly.

All out of Context, All the Time:

Former C&L contributor and now Rachel Maddow Show producer and Maddow Blog contributor Steve Benen joined guest host Ezra Klein on Maddow's show and discussed the subject of one of his recent posts, which is the fact that Republicans can't run against President Obama's actual policies, so they have to resort to constantly taking him out of context.

As we discussed last week, at this point in the race, Republicans aren't just occasionally taking Obama quotes out of context; they're actually building their entire 2012 campaign strategy around sentiments the president didn't actually say. I've honestly never seen anything like it.

Let's start a running count:

1. The Romney campaign took Obama out of context in its very first television ad of the race.

2. When the president told business leaders that U.S. policymakers have been "a little bit lazy" when it comes to attracting businesses to American soil, Republicans took that out of context and launched a series of attacks.

3. When Obama said private-sector job growth is "fine" relative to the public sector, Republicans took that out of context, too.

4. Obama said public institutions help businesses succeed, and Republicans continue to take that out of context.

And 5. Obama said Clinton's tax policies were better than Bush's, which the RNC is taking out of context.

Remember, in theory, none of this should be necessary. If the president were the radical leftist his attackers make him out to be, Republicans wouldn't have to resort to cheap garbage like this. They'd be able to use real Obama quotes and real Obama policies.

Instead, we're left with ridiculous tactics that treat voters like idiots.

Indeed.

Made-up talking points, eagerly parroted here, by the resident people of the lie.

o

Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 10:23

"But Obama had an opportunity to turn things around and he promised he would. In my view, he's made it WORSE and that is what is so egregious."

What's "egregious" is that anyone might think that a McCain/Palin victory would have us in a better place than we are now, and believing that Romney/X returning to the same old failed tax cuts for the rich & deregulation policies will solve the problems.

o

Posted by maddie_athome (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 9:36

Note: No facts, nor numbers.

Demi's above response at 9:50

Posted by maddie_athome (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 10:10

Whatever.

ROTF!

Impotent!

o

That was my point--with Barack Obama still at the helm, with all of the issues I enumerated, there are those making remarks about cookies.

Perhaps it is because the anti-Obama people seem so unwilling to engage in real discussion of Romney's policies. It all seems to be about "he's not Obama".

o

>>I'd give Cheetah the reins right now, he can't do much worse.<<

Cheeta. There is the real reason for her dislike of Obama. Right there. LOUD and CLEAR.

Trash talk, indeed.

Sea

o

Oh Good Grief!

That's about as far of a stretch of logic as I've seen here. Talk about twisting words.

This is a perfect example of why most discussions end up sounding like third grade girls on the playground.

Over and out.

o

seashells: you know who Cheetah was , I suppose? Expect heri along any minute now. Low shot Demi.

o

No surprise.

o

Oh, ya. More importantly, so does she.

The only real surprise is the blatancy.

Sea

o

Wow ink, from maddie or seashell I would have expected it. Seriously I wouldn't have from you.

o

Pathetic attempt at shaming Ink. How childish can these little games get.

Ink is it working yet?

o

Funny thing is... those who routinely bring up the rules and regs, habitually succeed in forgetting they exist...

The concept of precepts... a one sided standard, perhaps?

o

You wouldn't expect me to know who Cheetah was Mrs, me being too young to remember Tarzan you mean? Since you are defending her perhaps you could explain what she really meant, you know the same old same old.

o
RE: Imagin e Romney during Katrina or BP oil spill

You see that's part of their game, an essential feature even: Demanding that others stick to rules they themselves have no intention sticking to.

That's why playing "nice" doesn't get you anywhere.

o

>>Wow ink, from maddie or seashell I would have expected it. Seriously I wouldn't have from you.<<

.....Enter the sycophantic courtier.

Sea

o

Yeah ink, I understand the same old same old...a pathetic meeting of small minds who don't have the intelligence to hold an academic discussion resorting to the same old tactics of personal insults hoping for accolades from the gallery.

o

Cheetah? What a low --- another thread deteriorated.

o

This kind of stuff is reprehensible. Just ask the fired CEO of the Tennessee Hospitality Assn. who emailed what he thought was a real knee slapper about our First Lady and Cheeta.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old news can still be bad news

o

Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 11:17

>>I'd give Cheetah the reins right now, he can't do much worse.<<

Cheeta. There is the real reason for her dislike of Obama. Right there. LOUD and CLEAR.

Trash talk, indeed.

Sea

How racist to even make a connection, Sea and Maddie !

o

mrsk--here is a direct question.

What do you think demi meant when she said:
I'm more interested in the man that does hold the reins right now, and we're headed toward the cliff, people.

I'd give Cheetah the reins right now, he can't do much worse.

"cheetah"? Who do you think that refers to? What does that mean? Is that a neutral or respectful way to refer to someone?

I'd appreciate a direct answer.

Kate

o

kate, I'm not mrskjun but since I'm the one that made the statement, I'll answer it.

I meant exactly what I said--Cheetah was a chimp, but he could hold the reins and keep things under control without doing too much damage.

That's it.

o

Oh! OK I knew there had to be an explanation (gag) That and the information that we are engaged in an "academic discussion" instead of insult slinging has certainly put me in my place.

BTW are they showing re-runs of the Twilight Zone I think I must have missed a couple of episodes...pass the smelling salts Maud, I feel faint.

o

How sad that liberals associate everything with racism, yet claim not to be racists themselves. Is there any other way to reach your conclusions? Why in the world would you associate Cheetah the chimp with racism?? Truly, how pathetically low do you have to reach in order to go there?

o

How sad that demi wasn't more circumspect with her comparison. She could have made any number of other comparisons but she chose Cheetah (which is strange in itself).

o

Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 17:33

Mitt Romney 2012
He's no Chimp
(more of a chump)

o

Why in the world would you associate Cheetah the chimp with racism?? Truly, how pathetically low do you have to reach in order to go there?

Because people that don't like Obama have been portraying him as a monkey since day one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Obama as Monkey

o

Demi and mark--your responses are disgusting. Do you ever listen to yourselves?

mrsk--we've gone over this many times before. The fact that you blot out of your mind the history of racism in this country does not mean it did not happen. It just means that your constant denial sounds either dumb and/or incredibly insensitive. I could link you to some really shocking cultural images of "cheetah" that are so horrifying that I don't want to be responsible for spreading such disgusting stuff around the internet--and I'm talking about educational sites, not the ones who advocate that disgusting stuff. How can you pretend it doesn't exist? And if you are honestly so far out of touch with the racist culture of our country, then it is about time you start searching the internet and finding out what is really going on out there. Of course, then you would have to quit playing "innocent' all the time--you know, if you don't know about it or admit it is really there, then it doesn't exist, and the other person is being nasty for bringing it up.

Excuse me while I go upchuck. I just hate these games.

And demi--same goes for you. You're too old to play "dumb little me" didn't know there was anything wrong with what I said. And you know it--and in fact, did it on purpose. You are really in to "oh, its fun to jerk their chains," aren't you.

Yeah, report me. I left for several months before because I find such attitudes repulsive, and I'm ready to take off again. Good by.

Kate

o

"Because people that don't like Obama have been portraying him as a monkey since day one?"

And people portrayed Bush as a monkey. How many of you thought that was funny? Oh, it is ok to portray Bush as a monkey but to say that a monkey could do a better job than Obama is an outrage.

I read no racial slur into Demi's remarks. I would have interpreted them the same way if she had named Mr. Ed or Lassie instead of Cheetah. Too many people here think they can read someone else's thoughts. I think half the problem was that it was Demi and this crowd is out for blood every time she posts. The other half of the problem is that many try to read a racial comment into each and every post.

I agree with Kate, the attitudes here are replusive.

Break time for me!

o

kate: did it occur to you that your last post would be considered a result? I once thought that Mrs K had a different reason for coming here than just to wind people up but this latest thread makes me think I was wrong. Demi's tactic of posting something outrageous and then claiming that is not what she meant and we are are all being mean is well known but now Mrs K's support of that tactic is sickening.

I challenge you all to come up with a character who could "hold the reins and keep things under control without doing too much damage." to make a point about "anyone but Obama". I could say Hilary Clinton if I wanted to go in that direction or as we are looking for a comedic effect Mr Magoo. Never in a million years would I pick 1950's chimpanzee, unless.....

o

>>This kind of stuff is reprehensible.<<

That's it. Exactly.

Sea

o

>>>I read no racial slur into Demi's remarks. I would have interpreted them the same way if she had named Mr. Ed or Lassie instead of Cheetah. <<

But she didn't. No. She chose Cheetah. A chimp.
And calling Bush a monkey is not the same thing. Bush is white. It is disrespectful....yes. Comparing this President with a chimp isn't just meant as a sign of disrespect...it is RACIST. And it was meant to be. And she knows it.

Comparing ANY black person with Cheetah is racist...and she knows it. Undeniably RACIST. Indefensibly RACIST.

It isn't merely "politically incorrect", either. It is RACIST.. and it is UGLY.

No matter who says it or posts it.

Sea

o

How can there be any doubt that Demi had race on her mind? The very first response to this post by Demi:
Sounds to me you don't like Romney because he's white.

Like I've said - the act is so old.

o
Re: Imagine Romney during Katrina or BP oil spill

Anyone else here reminded of a certain scene from a certain movie?

"Well, listen to you. Tellin' me I can't do something because of the color of my skin? You're the racist."

All the best,
-Patrick

Here is a link that might be useful: Porch monkey (Language Warning -- NSFW)

o

.....and then there its the national debt, created by all Americans. A burden that is likely to sink the American economy, a burden that Conservatives complain about but offer no plan to address.

Why? Because to do so means they will have to share in the pain.

My sense is that conservatives would be ok with the debt as long as they did not have to contribute to the problem they helped cause

Tell me I am wrong...tell me how you are personally willing to take financial responsibility for the debt you helped create.

o

.tell me how you are personally willing to take financial responsibility for the debt you helped create.

Oh LAWDY CAN'T RAISE MY TAXES I'M A JOB CREATOR!!!!

Just cut his food stamps, medicaid, school lunches, housing subsidies, student loans, police and fire department.

o

clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 19:13

>>>I read no racial slur into Demi's remarks. I would have interpreted them the same way if she had named Mr. Ed or Lassie instead of Cheetah. <<

But she didn't. No. She chose Cheetah. A chimp.
And calling Bush a monkey is not the same thing. Bush is white. It is disrespectful....yes. Comparing this President with a chimp isn't just meant as a sign of disrespect...it is RACIST. And it was meant to be. And she knows it.

Seashells, you don't know what you're rambling about.

I DID NOT compare ANYONE to a chimp.

I said a chimp at the reins would be preferable.

YOU and others are the one that made a connection between our president and a chimpanzee.

That is disgusting to me.

o

I wish the people here on HT who keep hollering "OMG, racist!" would get over it already. Are we all to walk on eggshells till the end of time? For pity's sake, move on and open your eyes. The past was just that, and there's no danger of the race problem of this country's past rearing its ugly head again.

You want to revisit our treatment of Native Americans also? How about various immigrant populations who were treated badly, i.e., the Chinese who worked helped build our great railroad system?

This constant gibbering about racism is counter-productive and pointless.

o

I am laughing because when I hear the chimp thing I think of the Bill Maher show when they filmed the guy with one tooth in his mouth saying "Obama wanted to give his money away". He was living in a filthiest trailer, trash was every where. When they asked him what he did for a living he said he was "collecting SSI." lol

That is the class of person that use the chimp defense. When the chimp comes out you have to laugh because you know the background they come from and really do not think they are showing their ignorance.

I truly do not think Demi knows or think it was wrong. It is the influence of the people that they associate with all their lives. They are perplexed because it is what they know. They do not know it is disgusting because they have lived around disgusting as normal.

o

From the tenor and words of your post about me, it is apparent you don't think, marquest.

You simply don't know what you are rambling about at all.

The racists are on this forum, for the disgusting comments.

Me--I'd hang my head in shame, not only for making a connection to our President, but for accusing someone else of doing what their minds went to, but did not.

But I'm not surprised--any pathetic and far fetched opportunity to manufacture nasty lies about a conservative aren't missed around here.

o

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 23:57

"I am laughing because when I hear the chimp thing I think of the Bill Maher show when they filmed the guy with one tooth in his mouth saying "Obama wanted to give his money away". He was living in a filthiest trailer, trash was every where. When they asked him what he did for a living he said he was "collecting SSI." lol
That is the class of person that use the chimp defense."

Wow. We don't know why this man is collecting Social Security Disability Insurance, or do you? But because in your (very small and mean spirited) mind, he made a statement (according to you) that you apparently think reflects poorly on the president, you demean this unknown-to-you person. then you talk about "this class of person". I'm not even going to ask that question: "Do you even listen to yourself?". Not even gonna ask it. You've put people into "classes", and say there is one for the people who: "do not know it is disgusting because they have lived around disgusting as normal."

We have some pretty far-fetched misunderstandings on HT, but this impossible-to-explain-away statement speaks for itself. You don't get called out and you should be; you're usually so easy to disregard.

It's good, I think, that you finally "came out".

o

Elvis wrote, on Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 22:53 on this thread:

"The past was just that, and there's no danger of the race problem of this country's past rearing its ugly head again."

Racism no longer exists in the U.S.? It's all over now, safely left behind in the unchangeable past, like buggy whip factories and giant commercial whaling fleets?

Gosh, I missed the headlines. Must pay more attention to the international news.

"This constant gibbering about racism is counter-productive and pointless."

From the respected Collins English Dictionary online, here, with selective bold emphasis added:

gibber [1]

Definitions

verb
1. to utter rapidly and unintelligibly; prattle
2. intr (of monkeys and related animals) to make characteristic chattering sounds

Even more of this monkey business!?!??

(That's an attempt at pointed humour, not an accusation of racism. Just in case my intent is misunderstood.)

Meanwhile, Elvis wrote on Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 23:34 on the How to make the 99% look like fools with a 401K thread:

"And Jodi, I'm not the morality police."

Racism is not a moral issue for you, Elvis? Your post less than an hour earlier on this thread sure read to me like a moral pronouncement -- and a moral exhortation, even a moral lecture.

When someone tells me "get over it already" and "move on" -- I read that as moralizing. YMMV.

All the best,
-Patrick

o

Demifloyd wrote on this thread on Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 0:02:

"But I'm not surprised--any pathetic and far fetched opportunity to manufacture nasty lies about a conservative aren't missed around here."

Demifloyd, you don't know me. But I would make the same "Porch monkey speech" link that I did up above in this thread, if a liberal/ leftist/ Democrat had made the same Cheeta comment that you made.

My link was a good-humoured attempt to illustrate that people -- even people of goodwill -- can be racist in their language, without realizing they are being racist. Even when it is directly pointed out to them.

At best, your Cheeta comment was most unfortunate. It displayed an astonishing ignorance of the historical abundance of prejudiced, racist comparisons which have long been made about blacks and animals -- particularly, comparisons of blacks with African jungle primates.

Those comparisons have been made for centuries. In cartoons, in jokes, in print, in films. In minstrel shows and in vaudeville performances. It is very difficult for me to believe you are completely unaware of this type of comparison and comment.

There is a heavy cultural weight to these types of comments. If you're genuinely incapable of seeing how hurtful that weight can be, I seriously suggest you devote some time and thought to learning.

And I promise you, Demifloyd: if you make another single post on this forum while I'm reading here, which mentions the current President of the United States (or any other black person) and in the same post mentions any primate animal -- with the same negative connection which a number of people here have already seen and have already strongly objected to, that they saw in your Sunday morning post up above -- I'll report you to GW staff and I will request that you be banned from GW. For racism.

Have more care with your words here in future, Demifloyd. You can be as critical here of people who are black as you wish to be. You don't have the freedom to make those types of comparisons -- even inadvertent or accidental comparisons -- between people who are black, and primate animals.

I've bookmarked this thread and I will include a link to it, if I ever have to report you to GW staff for racist comments in future.

While I have small hope anything I've written will influence your thinking, I do hope this post will end your mention of primate animals, in any posts where you are also writing about people who are black.

It's a small loss of freedom of speech on your part, but well worth it, IMO -- if no black person, and no family members of black people, ever have to read those types of hurtful and divisive words here again.

Most sincerely,
-Patrick

p.s. Quoting from the GardenWeb Terms of Service, Section 6 Guidelines, third bullet point -- with bold emphasis added:

"You agree not to send via the GardenWeb Network or post on forums or any other place on the GardenWeb Network any message or material of any kind or nature that is unlawful, harassing, libelous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, inaccurate or otherwise objectionable material or that encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense, gives rise to civil liability, otherwise violates any applicable local, state, national or international law or regulation, or encourages the use of controlled substances."

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Terms of Service

o

I thought the Cheeta remark was intended to be crude and racist in the context that it was used. So I'm one more hollering "OMG Racist"

And I don't appreciate people that belittle the subject with remarks like 'get over it already'.

o

People, don't feed the damage controlls.

Obama was called boy by that one before, thinking something up to spin this won't work anyway. It'll help derail the thread though.

o

If someone cannot see comparing the President to Cheetah as racist, they are morons. If someone defends it, they are idiots. If someone did not see this coming, they are blind.

o

Unbelievable, they have come pouring from all corners with the me too, me too!! And everyone here of you know that there was nothing racist about demi's post, but wee little minds were able to twist it to serve a purpose, and you can flap your hands and caw till sundown, but anyone outside of HT can see you for what you are. Shame on you.

o

Really, Mrs. Do you often make analogies about black people and chimps? As I said, if someone can't make the racist connection there that would make them dense.

o

No frank, never, and neither did demi. Isn't that the point?

o

"No frank, never, and neither did demi. Isn't that the point?"

That was your statement. Let's see if you can make the connection from my statement.

"As I said, if someone can't make the racist connection there that would make them dense."

o

No frank, the sad thing is, everyone here knows that demi is not racist. I mean really knows it. But in order to denigrate her, or to give themselves reason to come out hand flapping, to be seen so to speak.
So, maybe America wasn't ready for it's first black president. It seems the ones who elected him can never see past the color of his skin.

o

IMO,we will never get past racism as long as there are separate "rules" for every race. If it is ok to compare a white person to a primate, then it should be ok to compare any one to a primate. If it isn't ok to compare a black person to a primate, then no one should be compared to a primate.

Demi did not compare Obama to a primate, she said she would rather have a primate holding the reins. Bush was subject to and continues to be subject to much worse.

MrsKjun, I think you've got it. As long as the ones who elected Obama can't get past the color of his skin and expect him to be treated differently because of the color of his skin, we will never overcome racism.

o

WOW, talk about grasping at straws!

Reading comprehension is truly being ignored in favor of twisting, twisting, twisting, really hard to get to me.

I wonder why that is.

Some of you know why that is, and you know that it's patently unfair and the vendetta of one of your own encouraged to be taken up by others--not based on my words. It is based on the very thing you all are decrying and accusing me of--prejudice.

Your posts of accusations are a perfect sample of projection.

Anyone that has been on this forum for the years that I have knows these accusations are a lie. They know it.
I know it, we all know this game that's being played.

As to madmagic's comments--since I haven't interacted with you and don't know anything about you, I will give you pass for your comments. You are incorrect in your assumptions and incorrect in your characterization of what I said.

You see, for people that are not racist, there is no need to avoid everyday phrases and words that they would use to others.

There was no comparison between the two.

My words were intended just as I wrote them, as well as my clarified explanation.

No more, no less.

Unfortunate choice of words? Not really.
Only to the extent that so many of you are lying about me, and I don't like consternation.

But I can take it.

o

"everyone here knows that demi is not racist. I mean really knows it."

Mrs, I don't think you have the right to speak for everyone here. Certainly not for me and what I know or think.

o

I stand corrected demi...chase thinks you are a racist, and she had judged that from the words you have written over the years. Thanks for standing in the light chase.

o

Yea, that's comforting!~

Mrskjun, this is a very telling thread on several fronts, is it not?

It's also telling who did not get into the fray, and that is noted.

It's good to know which posters have agendas and who is being manipulated.

But truly irrelevant.

o

Mrs, I simply told you you don't speak for me...nothing more. How I feel about Demi, or anyone else, in this regard is my personal opinion and unless I voice it please don't "speak for me".

o

You see, for people that are not racist, there is no need to avoid everyday phrases and words that they would use to others.

That may be when you are in person with someone that knows you really well.

When you post the same words on a forum, as you have here, they are seen and "heard" differently. they are interpreted differently, they come across with a different meaning.

All that is present with the written word, is exactly that, the written word and all that anyone can go on in the words meaning, is the words, how they are used, in what context they are used and hence, how they come across.

One may mean those words a certain way, but the reader sees them as something else, even if they where meant differently.

When a pattern emerges with a poster on any forum, patterns that show that words are used that say one thing and when that poster is then confronted by another poster with what was said, the claims become such things as I didn't mean it that way, or accuse others of picking on them, or people don't understand what I say,

Well, then the pattern is set for other members to read the words and respond to what is said and believe that what was said is exactly what was meant.

The "poor me, stop picking on me" starts to wear thin very quickly and in this case it certainly has.

To say "You see, for people that are not racist, there is no need to avoid everyday phrases and words that they would use to others."

Well it's absurd. Racist comments are just that, racist comments and one doesn't make those kinds of comments period. They are pretty disgusting to say the least and not something that is used in every day language and conversation and to think that it's OK to use them as every day language, "every day phrases" and no need to "avoid" them is just plain wrong.

It makes one begin to wonder if this is some kind of thought process that exists in certain parts of the country and not in others.

Is this something that is said and done and believed in the Southern part of the country?

Is this something peculiar to the deep south?

Because it sure isn't something I've ever heard said up North your quote and belief "You see, for people that are not racist, there is no need to avoid everyday phrases and words that they would use to others."

o

One thing, Demi, you cannot claim to be ever again on this board and that is a person with class.
A person with class would not have used those words.

And yes Frank, I saw this coming a looooong time ago.

o

But chase, isn't that the point, we are supposed to read what people post and from that we are able to point out their true meaning? I said, everyone here knows that demi is not racist, yet they were able to read something she wrote and made a racist comment from that. You said that I didn't have the right to speak for you, so in kind I can say that you think demi is a racist...right? I mean really, look how littleone is twisting in the wind trying to make demi a racist, what's the difference? Only liberals can do it? Or is it that only liberals are racists and they have such a need to deny it that they accuse everyone else?

o

IMO,we will never get past racism as long as there are separate "rules" for every race. If it is ok to compare a white person to a primate, then it should be ok to compare any one to a primate. If it isn't ok to compare a black person to a primate, then no one should be compared to a primate.

jlhug, Really? If you really think that you should buy a book, educate yourself. Ignorance is not an excuse. All Races have a history and there are things you do not say that are racist and there are laws and rules against such behavior.

You do not joke or infer Hitler to the Jewish population. Of course the Tea Baggers used that during Palin rallies.

MrsKjun, I think you've got it. As long as the ones who elected Obama can't get past the color of his skin and expect him to be treated differently because of the color of his skin, we will never overcome racism.

No different treatment necessary just do not use raciest comments about any race. There is no difference. There are unacceptable comments for every race/nationality that are racist. We can honor and realize the difference without making racist comments.

If you and others cannot manage to discuss a subject without being racist until you educate yourselves of acceptable behavior there are a lot of forums that dedicate themselves to all the hatred and racist behavior your heart can desire. If that is what gets you up in the morning then that would be a good place for you.

o

From chloe

Posted by chloe45 zone 61/2-7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 8:50

One thing, Demi, you cannot claim to be ever again on this board and that is a person with class.
A person with class would not have used those words.

To borrow a classy liberal phrase....HOOT!!!

o

Bwahahaha marquest, this crew here is going to teach acceptable behavior? I went to a birthday party with two year olds yesterday who treat each other with more respect than the liberals on this board are able to manage.

o

"everyone here knows that demi is not racist, "

Again I will repeat you have NO right to tell someone else what the know or believe. Clearly everyone here does NOT KNOW or BELIEVE what you stated. As for my personal opinion, I will keep that to myself.

You are right though we do gather our impressions from what is posted.

o

You are right though we do gather our impressions from what is posted.

Or from your own prejudices.

o

Bwahahaha marquest, this crew here is going to teach acceptable behavior? I went to a birthday party with two year olds yesterday who treat each other with more respect than the liberals on this board are able to manage.

I hope you took notes. Children are the best at accepting each other without racists remarks. Now add a few books to that education.

o

In an attempt to push this to 150 can I offer my apologies to Demi for ever doubting her. That is her ability to wriggle out of what was at best a gaffe,she was even offered this as a get out but still insists that we are all wrong.

Incidentally the entire story about Tarzan is steeped in racism and one should be circumspect when using any part of it as a metaphor. The character Cheetah was added to the movies for comedic effect and often created mayhem, so to use him as a more acceptable president than Obama is an insult as intended. As I said above the fact that Cheetah was a chimpanzee is an awkward comparison if it was innocent and racist if not.

o

chase said.

"Again I will repeat you have NO right to tell someone else what the know or believe."

How come I don't have the same right as you liberals chase? You constantly tell demi and the rest of the conservatives what they believe, what they mean by what they post, what they think, right??

o

Posted by mrskjun 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 9:32

chase said.

"Again I will repeat you have NO right to tell someone else what the know or believe."

How come I don't have the same right as you liberals chase? You constantly tell demi and the rest of the conservatives what they believe, what they mean by what they post, what they think, right??

Touche.

That is SO obvious.

I've never had trouble owning my words, but I refuse to own the ones others put in my mouth, flat out lie about (MAH's accusations as to what word I used was a blatant and outright lie too) and accusations about my character because of their own prejudicial agendas.

Not going to happen.

EVER.

Y'all can continue to waste your time on me.

It truly is wasted unless one is desperate for kudos from a hateful and malicious peanut gallery, because I don't care and I am not a politician.

Get to guessing about what Romney might or might have for lunch, too. I'm sure there's a way to insult him!

o

Marquest, you TOTALLY missed my point. If some phrase offends one race, why is ok to use that phrase for any race? Why would anyone joke about Hitler to any person for any reason? If it is not acceptable to compare someone from one race to primates, then it is not acceptable to compare any one from any race to primates.

I also stand behind my comment about Obama's supporters. Until people stop calling everyone who is critical of him a racist, we, as a nation, will never be blind to color. I wish we could put a paper bag over each candidate's head any time he or she went out in public, so we had no idea what they looked until after the election.

I do find it interesting that you think I'm racist. If I'm racist, why am I married to a man who is multiracial? How did I raise a DD who at age 5 had a goal to be as "tan" as her best friend who was black?

o

jlhug, If you do not know the difference between critical and racist remarks there is something missing in your thought process.

Have you ever heard "Some of my best friends are Black"? It does not matter if you know black people, Jewish people married to a Jew. If you make a racist remark it is still a racist remark. It does not make one bit of difference who you know or who you sleep with. How hard is that to understand?

You still do not seem to get History of how phrases and words that have been used to refer to a race as a "negative insult" is what makes the difference of what is racist. It has been suggested that you educate yourself to the difference. I repeat "ignorance is not an excuse".

o

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 9:32

As I said above the fact that Cheetah was a chimpanzee is an awkward comparison if it was innocent and racist if not.

I'd say that was a fair statement, ink.

It was definitely not a racist statement, because I don't feel that way and don't think that way. Everyone that personally knows me knows this--certain words were never used by us and would not be allowed to be used in our home--not that there ever was a reason to use those words.
We have a wealth of friends over decades from different races, religions, atheists, and sexual orientation.

I do not approve of any denigrating remarks about someone because of their race--especially the President.

Race just isn't an issue with people I interact with--I live in an area where over 50% of the population is black, and more and more Hispanics and other cultures. We interact every day and have social relationships. While one would of course be careful with their words in certain settings, people don't walk on eggshells trying to avoid any far fetched connotation to allow an accusation of racist because most of us do not have political agendas, and most of us, at least where I live, do not have racial agendas.

Perhaps it is because we have lived with one another for generations and understand one another. So many people that think they know what racism is don't even interact with people outside their own race on a regular basis.

We have human agendas--we want the freedom to make our own choices, we want opportunity to practice religion or not, we want good schools, we want responsible and thrifty government, we want business growth and job opportunities.

MOST of us want this.

We don't have the time or the inclination to go out of our way to inaccurately portray individuals as racist.

The minute I hit submit it occurred to me "uh oh, some is going to jump on that comment." I honestly had no idea it would be such an opportunity for so many to spew forth such inane accusations and venom, however.

There is so much animosity here towards conservatives and it is perplexing, to be frank. I've done nothing to anyone here--I do not personally insult and lie about posters for giving their opinion.

The fact of the matter is I typed exactly what I thought at the time--that Cheetah could at least hold the reins without doing any harm.

That comment could be construed as insulting, but it wasn't meant as a personal insult.

It was meant as an illustration of the damage I think Barack Obama will do to this country if he is reelected--that inaction and holding the course is preferable to his intents.

(The only reason I addressed this further is that I think that Ink was attempting to be reasonable and at least thoughtful in his observations so my comment is for you, Ink).

o

Anyone who uses the vocabulary of racists should not be surprised if s/he is accused of being racist.

How many GOP functionaries have had to apologize for making the same comparison as Demi has?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here