Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What fish are safe to eat?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 5:25

It seems that most fish are contaminated by mercury, pcbs, and other foreign matters Also farm raised fish are dangerous along with many imported tinned or frozen, even fresh salmon. How am I to get my Omega 3? Please tell me....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What fish are safe to eat?

Meet Google.

Here is a link that might be useful: what fish are safe to eat

o

Thanks, but what about my imported sardines and frozen shrimp?

o

Maybe you will have to figure that out for yourself.

o

Probably none, really. And the ones that are "safe" are endangered and expensive.

o

Well Richard, don't try to get your Omega 3 with fish oil capsules. I just heard yesterday that they can be dangerous to take.....sigh...what to do, what to do. But I do know, I'm not willing to give up my grilled salmon.

o

And a grilled piece of sword when it is on sale will not be denied...

o

None unless you want to glow in the dark or become fuel to run all our stuff.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 9:43

...though still plentiful, safety is also in question. On par with MacD's Fillet-o-Fish where fish and cheese are also combined like nowhere else in the world.

o

I occasionally spring for an expensive piece of wild-caught salmon, but NEVER for farm-raised.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 10:22

Farm raised isn't perfect but hopefully radioactivity could be ruled out?

o

Perhaps, vgkg, but antibiotics and other additions to the pens ae scary indeed.
Aquaculture could be a good way to provide fish for food, but it's the rare fishery that is not contaminated in some way.

o

Farm raised fish don't have the same flavor and texture that wild caught has. I stay clear as much as possible of farm raised seafood.

Because we are ex-Alaska residents, we tend to only eat Alaska wild caught fish like salmon (but only kings, reds and silvers) and halibut. Its not the same as catching it ourselves but it is the best we can do where we currently live. We occasionally indulge in swordfish and fresh tuna (not Alaskan). My theory is the occasional treat isn't likely to kill you but a constant diet of contaminated fish just might.

o

I think sardines are, relatively speaking, a good source of the good stuff we want from fish.

They tend to be YOUNG fish and oily. Young means they haven't accumulated the mercury in their bodies like the bigger, older fish like Tuna and Sword. I keep tins of them in the house and use them for a quick and easy meal.

I read the recent reports linking fish omegas to prostate risk.

The bottom line seems to be that we can choose our poison: Eat fish; die from prostate cancer. Don't eat fish; die from a heart attack.

Then again, you can always find someone to tell you otherwise: Scaremongering?

""If you listen to this study, you should not only cut omega-3 but you should start smoking cigarettes and drinking more."

Pick and choose.

Pass the Salmon, please. I'll have it with beer and a good cigar if I had one. I have some in my refrigerator right now. Farm raised so the antibiotics should help me fend off Lyme.

Scallops don't appear to be so terribly mercury laden. Two days a week I usually have Salmon. Two days I usually have scallops.

A good life.

Hay

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 12:21

It was down to Alaskan red salmon and Norwegian cod etc. before the Fukushima reactor radiation got to Alaska. My prescription grade fish oil tablets are made from Norwegian cod. Am I insisting that these are completely pristine? Of course not - I may soon discuss it with my doctor.

o

As I posted in the other thread where we recently discussed this, good sources to find info about fish are the EDF, Montery Bay Aquarium, Blue Ocean Institute. FishWise and the Seafood Choices Alliance all provide guidelines and information but even these recommendations I now take with a grain of salt but they are the best resources at the moment.

Little farm raised fish for us now and wild Salmon and locally caught fish moreso.

o

One of my neighbors works for the Minnesota Sea Grant and says our Lake Superior ciscoes (formerly lake herring) and whitefish are a good and safe bet.

Their flesh accumulates relatively low amounts of contaminants; are high in omega-3 fatty acids, and are locally available almost all year long.

I don't eat much fish. I do like shellfish of all kinds, but don't eat a lot of that now either. My preference has always been freshwater fish - going back to the days of yesteryear catching and pan frying sunfish, crappies, perch, and bluegills.

o

Yo Hay, maybe you can find some fish caught off the coast of Japan near Fukushima. Could light you up like a Christmas tree while you smoke that cigar.

o

I just bought some Sal de Mer that claims to be pristine from the Pacific.

..../

I do wonder where we're going...

o

Bluegill off my pier are pretty safe. Also the crappie and bass...of course there is a little acid rain in the water, pretty sure.

o

A bit ot but not worth it's own thread. For those of you who like it hot and spicy on your fish, take heed. This came out today...

Mexican Hot Sauces Test Positive for Lead
Some people think hot sauces from south of the border contain a little extra something. Unfortunately, in many cases that extra ingredient is lead, according to a new study reported by Food Safety News.

Researchers at the University of Nevada Las Vegas tested 25 bottles of imported hot sauces from Mexico and South America for lead concentrations and pH levels. They also tested the packaging for lead, because it can leach into food. They purchased the products at local ethnic markets, grocery stores and a swap meet.

About 16 percent of the products tested exceeded the Food and Drug Administration 0.1 parts per million standard for unsafe levels of lead in candy. All four products that tested above that limit were from Mexico, but were from four different manufacturers. (Lead has been found in candy from China, Mexico and the Philippines.)

"Although hot sauce would not intuitively be counted amongst food products highly consumed by children, the study suggests that ethnic and cultural practices must be considered," according to a release by UNLV. "If hot sauce is a regular part of a child's diet, it could contribute to unsafe levels of lead exposure, especially when combined with exposure to lead in the soil, cookware, and candies, or paint manufactured before 1978."

The study, by Shawn Gerstenberger and Jennifer Berger Ritchie, and published in the Journal of Environmental Science and Health, is the first known investigation into lead levels in hot sauces, according to the university.

Even that 0.1 ppm limit is problematic, the researchers say. "There is no known safe level for lead exposure, as lead poisoning can affect almost every organ in the body and is absorbed faster by children than adults. In young children, lead poisoning has been known to cause learning disabilities, behavioral problems, and even seizures, comas and death in extreme cases."

Gerstenberger said the test results show the need for "more rigorous screening protocols" for hot sauce and other food products imported from Mexico.

"Without enforceable standards for hot sauces and condiments, manufacturers will not be encouraged to improve quality control measures designed to reduce the amounts of lead and other toxic elements before exporting," he said.

Gerstenberger also recommends the adoption of 0.1 ppm lead as a standard of unsafe levels for hot sauces. He suggests states adopt policies to reject all imported hot sauces and other food products found to contain detectable concentrations of lead.

You want your hot sauce hot, but you don't want it fully leaded!

My recommendation, make your own. It is easy and safe. Lot's of good recipes from every ethnicity out there that are so simple to make.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Sauce

o

Last week they were selling fresh wild Alaskan halibut at the local grocery store for $24 a lb. Nobody bought it, so as it was going off and they halved the price, so only $12/lb for half-rotten halibut. No thanks. My guess is somebody at the store took it home for their cat.

I buy frozen cod, its about the only thing I can afford around here thats of consistent good quality, and thats $6 a lb.

o

David, that's always the price at the Whole Foods stores in my area and people do pay it. I can't imagine such a product showing up in my local ordinary grocery, where it would rot just as it did in the store you mention.
Cod makes a great fish chowder.

o

Not much these days, Tobr...

o

Ever since the Koreans took over the local grocery store, quality has ratcheted up considerably. Considerably, like night and day. Every department. Before there didn't even exist a fish market in the store. Thank goodness!

Today, at the grocery, I can routinely buy quality, farm raised Salmon for about $13 per pound. Wild, from Scotland, is around $18 per pound.

It's all coming from the fish market in NYC, about three times a week. Keeps me happy.

I'm a little squeamish about buying their scallops. They look perfectly fine, but I know that the stated origin of fish is not to be trusted and, even though they look just fine, I'm always thinking they might have come from China and I just wouldn't want to be eating Chinese farm raised scallops.

So I get my scallops from the "fish truck" that sets up on Fridays and Saturdays. Fish comes from the markets around Rhode Island and are trucked in on the Thursday night before. Wonderful, fresh selection of seafood.

Not cheap, but I'm worth it. I routinely pay $20-$25 for a pound of scallops, two meals worth. In season, I love local Bay Scallops and will pay around $30 a pound for them. On Friday I paid $17 a pound for fresh Rhode Island Shrimp. Medium size. The big ones would have cost something like $24 a pound.

Eating wise, the highlight of my week. I love seafood.

Hay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here