Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did you ever do drugs or still do?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 5:48

My drug of choice is gin and fortunately I can have a double martini each day without craving more. Fortunately, harder drugs were not available in my younger days or I would have done them, just booze. How about you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did you ever do drugs or still do?

Tobr, what are you up to now?

I don't drink alcohol, and I don't "do drugs".

I am, however, dependent upon certain prescription medications to live a semblance of normalcy... but that can hardly be equated to "doing drugs".

And I don't mind in the least admitting that I'm all for the legalization of marijuana and do not consider it to be a drug... not in the same sense as other "drugs"... or in the same sense that our government has tried to convince everyone it is a horrible drug, responsible for the ruination of America, with propaganda and the false classification of a narcotic, placing it on the same plane as any other hard drug, with felony arrest and prison sentences as punishment for possession or use.

And I don't even mind saying that I have used marijuana, and might use it in future, though not as a pain management tool... but as recreation. And that shouldn't be anyone's business but my own.

And speaking to the original thought, where I'm pretty sure you got the idea for this thread... there are no specific outward "actions" that would indicate I were "on drugs" should I use marijuana... just as there wouldn't be any overt indications of changes in activity due to the use of the medications I normally take.

As Heri stated in the other thread, noting that someone was "acting like they're on drugs" was nothing more than fuel for that particular fire.

o

Absolutely not, no not ever unless they were prescribed and even then did not take them as often as prescribed.

When I had the spinal fusion and failure of incision to heal for almost a year, subsequent staph infections at my spine, muscle cramps from moving the muscles around after the fusion so bad I would pass out and when the hospital had to get special permission from the administration to give me morphine in my thighs because there were no more places in my black and blue behind to stick me, I still did not take the Percodan or anything else prescribed to me unless I absolutely couldn't bear the pain.

That may be carrying it too far but I don't believe in becoming addicted to anything, to me it is a weakness of body and mind.

That is why it is better, particularly for those that are predisposed to addiction to alcohol or drugs, to not over do it.

I never did care for alcohol much, and only have a few drinks a year, like Lemoncello and lemonade, margarita, or every couple of years on a cold night in front of the fire, a half jigger of Jack or cognac sipped over a period of a hour or two.

No drugs no alcohol tough it out if you can is my motto.
If you can't, take the minimum amount of pain killer and stop it as soon as possible, is what I think would be best and cause the least heartache.

Even someone is having problems so bad that they want drugs to escape it, my opinion is they should be vigilant about having every wit they can about them to solve their problems or change their situation, instead, and that would involve not taking illicit drugs, getting high on marijuana, or drinking to get drunk.

Life is exciting and beautiful, even when bad things are happening it is a sort of bittersweet ecstasy--pain, grief, worry--when objectively considered. Life itself can give you a high if you let it.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 9:58

o

You did ask in February "what did your trip on in your youth"?
Didn't get enough info then?

o

Yes I did plenty of illicit drugs when I was young. Smoke and drank too ... still drink. I am not a huge drinker, from January through June of this year, I probably since the gay pride parade, so I am getting out somewhat more now. I like gin as well ... gin and tonic is my go-to beverage if it's 70 degrees or warmer.

I wouldn't do illicit drugs now, just because they are illegal. But I don't regret having smoked marijuana. I regret that I used LSD in some forms because of the toxicity of the processing ... but not have taken natural psychedelics like shrooms.

About the only thing I do regret is the harder stuff I did. It's a pretty fast drop to rock bottom when you do cocaine or other uppers ... luckily I was young, and what was "rock bottom" for me wasn't all that low to start with, so I straightened myself up pretty fast. Still recall the amazing rush of coke though, meth made me feel uncomfortable even then.

I remember times when I would not have been able to turn down a bump if I had been offered. 15 years later, I could do it now, but I would probably at least look back once or twice. Amazing rush ... horrible consequences, health and dignity wise. Plus, it's 100 xs more unlikely that I know anyone who does it anymore now!

So there you have it tobr. If I ever run for office, the campaign will have to put you on my payroll to withhold this information! ;)

o

Apparently not, Joe...

I don't even mind admitting that, much like TxanGoddess, I have tried various and sundry "drugs", as a youth in rebellious stage... though I never found any to be to my liking enough where I would continue any use.

Which ones might those be, you ask? Quite a few, excluding meth and other synthetic substances, and excluding anything that required a hypodermic needle.

I've smoked a few things, and otherwise ingested a small variety of illicit substances... to see what the experience was like.

None of them were at all like our esteemed government authority tells us they are. None of their propaganda rings with truth.

It was actually rather nice to have firsthand experience from which to draw when educating our children. We didn't want to lie to them, but arm them with factual information so they could make the choices best suited for them.

o

Since this round two with this theme, I wonder the purpose behind the question.

Who cares.

o

In my much younger years I smoked marijuana a very few times. I don't think it's the marijuana of today though. I'd never make it as an addict. I had oral surgery once and the dr. prescribed Percodan. I took one and slept for two days. Never again. But when my niece was suffering through the last stages of cancer and the effects of chemo and radiation, if I could have found some I would most certainly have made it available to her.

o

You know jodik, I think that at least some of what creates a drug problem in young people is that sense that they have been lied to when they try marijuana.

I remember distinctly thinking: "Man, nearly everything they taught me about drugs must be bull" after I started smoking pot as a teen.

I think at least this perception of having been deceived, and with a teens rebellious reasoning, "If they lied about this, they lied about all of it!" is why marijuana is, or can be the gateway drug its purported to be.

That, coupled with the fact that it is much easier to obtain and try out completely illicit drugs on the black market than it is to try out the more socially acceptable but only-legal-after-majority alcohol (the reasons for which are of course arguable) are two ways we are really screwing up imo, if we want to keep young people away from drug abuse.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 12:13

No, and no.

Harder drugs have always been available, you just didn't know how to get them when you were younger.

o

I remember thinking the exact same thing, TxanGoddess... that I had been flat out lied to... and by my own government, no less!

What else were they lying about? Probably a lot!

I think it absolutely does contribute to the number of users. I'd say the same thing about sex, and about a lot of the taboo things within our society.

When we lie about them, or forbid things without a good explanation, or we confront issues with the wrong information, we set our youth up to be more curious than they might be if we told them the truth and gave them real world, usable information.

The idea that marijuana is a gateway is a ridiculous notion, as is the idea that in depth sex education or birth control access causes promiscuity.

What a messed up society we live in... we can't even be honest with our youth.

o

But don't you think the 1960-1980s made so many things "less taboo". I mean, don't you think it's more mainstream now? But the drugs which were bad are still really bad to one's health. I can't ever see heroin or meth being legalized, nor should they be. They're so disastrous when it comes to one's body and mind. Nothing good comes from those.

:(

I guess I believe in control over own bodies, but only to a certain degree? Don't know what line has to be crossed, but there is one, more than I knew.

o

The original poster often asks a lot of personal information reveals little if he ever returns at all!

o

He doesn't venture out of his parents' basement all that often.

Could he be busy placing bets on the royal baby name? About the only thing he hasn't started a thread on so far.

edited to add LOL (just in case)

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 14:09

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 14:11

Now don't be too hard on tobr, he probably does what I do and comes here after that first gin & tonic ;), then forgets that he asked a similar question months ago. I know that I repeat myself often here but after a decade of posting sometimes the best that I can come up with is just dusted off.
As for G&T, lucky for me that my built-in headache alarm goes off if it detects what amounts to 2 hi-balls or 2 beers. Self policing pain limits my intake.

o

That would probably explain it better than the manties mantra malaise.

o

LOL, I can't wait for Richard to read these posts. It's more than amazing what we can conjure up about other posters.

o

Oh, c'mon... we're all getting older and maybe just a little forgetful... I know my memory is shot, and not just from age! But that's what happens when you get knocked on the noggin really hard! Gaps appear, and you forget you just said that, or asked that...

It's my contention that Tobr just gets a kick out of stirring the pot to see what floats to the surface... and who are we to disappoint him? ! ;-)

Well, Robin, I had THOUGHT that the years between the 60's and 80's had helped to leave a few taboos behind, opened up people's minds to new possibilities, maybe even helped to end racism and other things... but it seems that lately those same issues keep flaring up, or there's some extreme group trying to control morality, and then there's the silly and wasteful "war on drugs"... how could we classify that, except to say that it hasn't done any good, but it has wasted a lot of resources and funding that would have been better spent elsewhere.

People are going to indulge in drugs whether we try to stop it or not... and unless we put an end to the black market scenario, the violence accompanying such "criminal" behaviors will not stop.

But why on earth would our government lie to us about drugs... why would they ply us with false propaganda... unless there was a reason... and we already know what that reason is. There are gigantic profits to be made from the sale of drugs, economies of entire countries are tied to the production and export of drugs... and portions of society to "keep down" through the introduction and continued supply of those drugs.

There have been a few law enforcement, FBI and CIA officials that have stepped forward with the truth of what really happens behind the scenes... some very interesting information, in fact.

o

Drugs like sucralose and benzoate preservatives?

Never!

o

Caffeine & large doses of it every morning!
Iced tea all day long!

Here is a link that might be useful: shrooms

o

Yeah... I often wonder what chemical or combination of chemicals has the worst overall or long term effects on people... illicit drugs, or the chemicals in our food supply?

Good thought, Silver.

Joe, I could never give up my morning joe! ;-)

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 17:58

Put a little heroin on your hotdog and you're covered.

o

Well, there is always "Did you ever beat your wife/husband/granny/children/pets... or still do?"

I am sure we will have another incarnation of this eventually, just like so many others.

o

If tobr were really interested in the drug use of HT participants, he would post the statute of limitations for illegal possession of drugs.

o

Well, possession is an entirely different topic. I highly doubt anyone would openly admit to present possession of any illicit substance. But the admission of trying something at some point in the past can be hardly be used against someone... unless they're worried about what their boss or coworkers, company or school, probation or parole officer, might do with or think about such information.

Personally, I don't care what others think... I would prefer to answer honestly. I have nothing to hide... nothing that I'm ashamed of.

o

What a question, Tobr. You must be high. ;-)

o

Nope, no cigarettes, alcohol or drugs, unless coffee qualifies. Maybe I'll have Mike's Hard Lemonade at a party ,but that's about it. Maybe a small glass of wine if there's a toast or celebration.

o

Well, I was just looking for an update from your youthful tripping to what you are tripping on now, and I would never turn any of you in...

o

I think, Tobr, that just about all of the natural substances Earth has given us have been discovered by now... and I don't usually keep abreast of new synthetic substances beyond what I read in the news. To me, most of anything totally man made could be considered dangerous... and at my age, I've tried everything I wanted to try... short of skydiving and scuba diving, which might be considered by some to produce a nice adrenalin high.

These days, I prefer things like speed, as in going fast on motorcycles or in cars... or indulging in a few beers once or twice a year... or I might even smoke a little pot if it's offered at some point... but that's about as exciting as I want my life to be.

I never really cared to "trip", unless you're talking about taking a nice vacation. ;-)

o

No quid pro quo Richard was the complaint!

o

If I quit tacking the synthrex I will be dead in a few weeks, the other twelve I would be glad to get rid of. Can't even have more than 1 taster glass of the home brew till I get rid of them.

o

That's not good, Don... I do wish you the best, though. I often wonder if there are more natural ways to treat many of the health issues people face... I know that we've come across a few things that have worked much better than modern pharmaceuticals, depending on the issue... and they have no side effects or dangers, unlike many medicines offered by pharmaceutical.

For example, we've found that Diatomaceous Earth is excellent for lowering bad cholesterol... and that sort of thing.

But to be denied one's own home brew is not fun, I'm sure.

o

I have been A Very Good Girl all of my life. Dammit.

o

Believe in the last go round with this topic I admitted to trying marijuana a time or two. Not an entirely an unpleasant experience, but not something I was interested in keeping on with.

Not much of a drinker - socially in moderation, but otherwise why bother. I do like a good brandy Manhattan on the rocks every once in a while though.

I do take a maintenance prescription drug or two - gotta stay alive and functioning.

o

Don't quit taking them Duluth because this forum NEEDS you!
* ROTFL*!!

o

chisue..I've been a very good girl too, and I have no regrets. But I thoroughly approve of legalizing marijuana, and I wouldn't hesitate taking it for medicinal purposes. I think it's vilified as being a gateways drug, and I don't buy that.

o

Could you imagine the tax payer money that would be saved if marijuana was decriminalized?

Mind you it's only the poor schmucks that get charged and do time....the upper middle class and wealthy "tokers" toke with impunity.

o

You're right, Chase. Think how the prison system is being overly taxed housing people busted for pot. Crazy. Alcohol is completely legal, but in my opinion far more detrimental than weed.

You're right that only the poor get caught while all classes partake.

I'll never forget, little ol' naive me went into an antique store on Nantucket, and the classy wealthy owner was snorting coke off a gorgeous antique table. Although I interrupted him, he made no effort to hide.

o

yes and yes

So what.

Did you ever pick your nose.....and eat it?
Did you ever embellish a story to make yourself look better?
Did you ever indulge in a bit of cross-dressing?

Who cares?

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 15:45

Yes.

o

Did you ever indulge in a bit of cross-dressing?

Annie Hall / Diane Keaton made it safe for females to cross dress.

Now who is going to liberate the men?

o

camp - pondering if this is the kind of "conversation" lefleur over on Perennials was hoping to find. And I'm really chuckling as I ponder.

o

No, and yuck - to the first thing!
Probably - to the second!
And, I'm not sure - to the third... does Halloween count? ;-)

I'm surprised Tobr hasn't thought to ask those questions!

I agree with the legalizing of marijuana... what are we waiting for, anyway? It's such a useful plant, in both its forms!

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 17:38

Skin tight tank-top, micro-mini and a pair of 6" ankle strap pumps? You would care Campanula... intrigued or repulsed, you would care.

o

"...unless they're worried about what their boss or coworkers, company or school, probation or parole officer, might do with or think about such information.
Personally, I don't care what others think... I would prefer to answer honestly. I have nothing to hide... nothing that I'm ashamed of."

Most of us probably should be concerned about that. However, if one has none of these entities in one's life, and no plans to EVER have these entities in their life,: "boss or coworkers, company or school, probation or parole officer," I guess one has little to lose by "answering honestly."

Nowadays it is not uncommon for prospective employers to look at social media for red flags.

o

Jody the home brew is made by the oldest son. He also makes mead and has won a lot of awards.

o

That's true Elvis - although I have done a complete turnaround on the subject of marijuana and now see occasional use to be less meaningful than even occasional alcoholic beverage use on the whole.
Both of us have been employed and retired from govt positions, and now Mr. M now approaches an entirely different second career retirement from an entirely different section of the govt than when he finally retired from the military, clear across the country from where he was stationed ( in case anyone would mistakenly suspect a double dipping situation) and though attitudes have relaxed over the years, I have no doubt whatsoever that if he were ever to (stupidly) openly discuss any casual marijuana use either in personal conversation or by a social media and someone wanted him out, out he would be.

It wouldnt surprise me if there have been people who were qualified for an opening and werent even considered because of facebook stuff they have disclosed. The place he works wants level headed adults who arent foolish with how they use public social media.

I wish there were a way to get young adults to understand the LONG term damage they can do to themselves by foolish "playing" in social media, including pictures they post. They can be the most highly qualified and not even be considered for a great position after a social media search with a questionable result, which is part of what is the first hurdle they must pass before ever getting further in the consideration process.

Because of Jodi and her husband's serious, debilitating health issues, I doubt this would ever be a concern for them but Jodi, if you two are on a self identifying social media, I would still always be extremely guarded about what personal stuff you disclose because you never know what opportunity might come your way which might require nothing more strenuous than computer work at home for a nice income due to your Mr.s unusual knowledge about computers and software.

You never know when opportunity could suddenly present itself, right out of the blue.

o

mylab, I recognize that many people share your concern, but I think you are overlooking that there is going to be a saturation point not too terribly far off in the future of people sharing this sort of information, so there won't be much of even the potential to discriminate ... everyone will have something on everyone.

And godspeed the day that such an outdated and judge-y mindset dies off too.

I even defended the sorriest governor this state ever had during his run to become the sorriest President this country ever had on this point. President Bush's cocaine problem as a young (and not so young) man was well known here in Texas (I know it made national media, but I mean WELL KNOWN) and I said then and will say now, what a person snorts, smokes, injects, or eats in their own body on their own time is their own damn business. Especially if they do it during a time of their life when they have no responsibilities to anyone but themselves.

Back to the saturation point though, again, I think that our youth are rapidly outgrowing the concern you expressed above, by making such matters moot, as they ought to be.

o

When did the doctor intake form start asking this question?

o

My drug of choice over my lifetime, Coke. And Pepsi, and Mt. Dew. Especially Mt. Dew.

Trying desperately NOT to be an addict. But I slip from time to time.

At least when I slip now, it's always Diet or Zero.

Still, I wish I had the fortitude to stick with black iced tea with lemon -- better for you, antioxidants and all.

o

That's cool, Don... we were just discussing various home brews over the past few days. I went north to visit family, and some friends came with my daughter from Tennessee. Their family has been making moonshine for generations... in a dry county, no less... and they're known locally for their high quality 'shine.

My son recently brewed some home made beer, and he said it turned out quite good. He wants to try another batch.

TxanGoddess, I would agree... especially as it pertains to past behaviors that have no bearing on the present or future. I, too, think that what we do as adults on our own time is our own business, and if we choose to share such information, it should be looked at as something we do on our own time, neither good nor bad, that has no bearing on anything else.

I don't know... I don't mind being honest about this sort of thing. I'm not ashamed to admit the things I've done in the past, and I don't look at them as taboos or anything to be ashamed of. I've done what I've done, and everything has led me to this point in life... which I'm happy with.

No regrets, man... and no fears or embarrassments. That's how I live life. Do I care what someone with a different set of values thinks? Not in the least. I don't live my life for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here