Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
US is #1 coffee consumer! Bet you didn't

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 6:21

know that! We even beat Brazil that came in 2nd. And the rest of the world is far behind, but starting to catch up. Could it be that we have far more addictive personalities? How much do you consume in a day?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: US is #1 coffee consumer! Bet you didn't

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 6:24

....and here I sit with my cup-a-coffee totally surprised :)

I drink two mugs in the morn, then I am done. Back in the last century when I was young I could sip it all day long and still sleep at night.

o

It would be great if, as the #1 coffee consumers in the world, we only bought shade-grown coffee. Neotropical breeding grounds for our summer songbirds are being destroyed for growing coffee. What an impact that would make!

o

Really? We beat out Italy? Hard to imagine.

o

Could it be because of Starbucks?

o

But true, Italy came in 5th. After Brazil, a close second, came Germany and Japan(?)...

o

We'd need to determine what passes as "coffee" in the US, first. Given yer food-laws (or lack thereof), I fear the worst.

o

News reports this am say caffiene may help prevent skin cancer. Good deal!

o

Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 7:10

Maddie we are able to buy "free trade" and organic coffee beans here ... it is my one indulgence :)

o

Ohiomom--I know! In the long run, it pays so, mugs up!

I was actually thinking about the common (non-organic/free trade) stuff, and Starcrap when I wrote that.

o

tobr, surely you have a linky to the reference? I'm curious whether they're talking sheer quantity or cups per consumer, or what.

o

Perhaps it is rated in terms of beans sold.

o
RE: is #1 coffee consumer! Bet you didn't

A short article in the National Geographic for June does not say how many cups per day but by bean consumption for the total population...

o

One large mug of Brazilian per day. Probably some day I'll have to give up even that, as well as refined sugar and cream.

o

Thank you, Maddie... I do believe that American coffee is much like other American products... chemically processed, added to, or watered down.

I try to get my coffee in whole bean form from other sources, so I know it's not overly processed or nasty in some other way.

We are total coffee-holics. I own a 2 burner Bunn, and I drink about 3 or 4 pots a day of good, free trade, home ground coffees from various countries... except the US.

I enjoy the flavors, and I do not add sugars or creamers or other flavoring. Coffee should not leave a bad after taste, nor should it contain that floating acidic slime.

o

So, do poor people that cannot afford whole bean, free trade, organic coffee get a pass?

How much income do you have to have before you're a bum for buying Folgers ground in the red plastic container?

;)

I do not regularly drink coffee, perhaps I'll go three weeks without making coffee. Every once in awhile I'll make a pot, I'm not interested in the Keurig because when I drink it, I'll drink several cups over the period of an hour or so. Then I'm lit and run around cleaning house, or God help whoever's around me because I run my mouth.

Because of that, I am not addicted to it and do not need coffee to get my day going or to "wake up." I hit the ground running in the morning, but sometimes coffee, the smell, and the feeling of drinking it, particularly on cold or rainy days, feels good.

My daughter is arriving today for a visit, I haven't seen her since Christmas and she has to have coffee--a habit developed at college. She has an expresso maker. I don't think my coffee is as good as hers--she likes it very strong, but I buy fair trade, organic beans and have ground my coffee for over fifteen years, so she appreciates the effort.

The only thing I take in my coffee is a splash of organic full fat half and half.

If I get taxed more I'll have to go back to the red plastic container!

o

Tick tock.

o

The reason I continue to ignore certain posters and their overly personal questions is that they should be able to come up with the answers all by themselves.

Finding good whole bean coffees is not as expensive as one might think. One simply must be smarter than the coffee beans they're looking for, and know where to look.

My last vice... if one can even call it that... and not surprisingly, some people even find issue with my enjoyment of that. I find that very sad.

I think some people would be happy if I were miserable and couldn't do anything for myself. But that's not going to happen. In spite of the life I was handed, I've learned to make the best of it, and find enjoyment in the little things... the wonderful smells and tastes of coffees being one of those little things.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 10:10

Unlike Demi, I can't function without a couple cups in the morning. Jodik, 3-4 pots a day? How many cups does your Bunn make?

Dh still drinks Community, but I've been spoiled by fresh roasted beans from a local small coffee house. Half a pound is cheaper than a bottle of wine and lasts a lot longer. ;)

o

Really? We beat out Italy? Hard to imagine.

We're drinking (for the most part) caffe' americano - more liquid - and not espresso all'italiana. Caffelatte is for breakfast, punto.

o

I make two pots of strong dark coffee (French Roast or Expresso beans) at a time and refrigerate them. I like cold coffee much better than hot coffee. Refrigeration keeps brewed coffee drinkable for a day or so. IOW, I make coffee every other day using paper filters and cone.

Mostly I buy from the same retail outfit, the owners have a coffee plantation on Kona, Hawaii, where they try to grow coffee as organically as possible. I don't use their beans (too mild and too expensive) but rely on them bringing in the best roasted beans of my choice.

Drinking so much coffee doesn't seem to affect my sleep unless I drink the stuff after 6 or 7 pm. I'm addicted to vanilla-flavored creamer, particularly the Trader Joe's product (non-dairy). Without creamer with sweetener, I'd drink a lot less strong coffee. When I was growing up in NH, regular coffee meant overbrewed, overheated coffee with milk and sugar, not black coffee.

o

I used to drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day, but for no good reason, cut down to 2. then I heard it's a fantastic antioxidant, which makes it a good anti-cancer preventative, and it wards off dementia. I'd rather drink organic, fair trade coffee than undergo medical treatment with the accompanying expense. I'm drinking 4 -5 cups a day now and for the rest of my life.

o

There ya go! My philosophy too, based on selected readings of the medical literature and against my internist's recommendations. Besides, I told her I would rather drink more coffee than wear suspect sun screen.

o

Jodik, calm down.

If I was talking about you, I would have named you, surely
you understand that, don't you? You supposedly do the same thing.

I was responding to this comment by MAH:

"I was actually thinking about the common (non-organic/free trade) stuff, and Starcrap when I wrote that."

I just seemed ironic that someone that seems to want to be a champion for the poor called what most of them drink "common" and "Starcrap."

But, since I was referring to Maddie's comment, I guess I can see how you thought it was about you, too.

It wasn't.

I still want to know how much income you must have before you're not doing the responsible thing and only buying fair trade, organic coffee.

Now, you have indicated from your comment, which is obviously directed at my comments because no one else said anything close to the words in my post,

"Finding good whole bean coffees is not as expensive as one might think. One simply must be smarter than the coffee beans they're looking for, and know where to look."

Well, knock me down and slap my mother.
I just don't know where to shop.
Those coffee beans are just smarter than I am!
What a silly little attempt at being insulting. ;)

Jodik, do you recall how many times you have COMPLAINED about people not being able to have access to the "right" kinds of foods, of not having access to fresh food?

Well, that's EXACTLY what I was referring to.
Many people in rural areas--especially around here, and where I grew up, are lucky to have Folgers ground coffee in the red plastic container and Eight O'Clock coffee (a regional brand). That's it--they are poor, rural communities.

A lot of people I know have never seen a whole coffee bean, and if they found them, they wouldn't know where to get a grinder and couldn't afford one. They may see them at Walmart when they manage to get to a larger town a few times a year, but old habits die hard and they would not want to try something different.

Of course their Folgers is just fine with them.
Too bad they don't know they are being bad for buying a product not approved by liberals.

I guess those poor people without cars or unable to pay for the gasoline (surely you understand) to drive to big cities to find whole coffee beans at a reasonable price are just not doing their best to find fair trade and buy organic, huh?

Well, shame on them!

Enjoy your coffee!

o

Well, let's not forget that there are two of us drinking it... but I probably drink a goodly portion, myself. I love coffees.

And since the husband decided it was time to stop in-taking sugar and go to Ritalin to help control severe ADD, his coffee consumption has probably dropped a little bit. When younger, the side effects of those medications bothered him... but he's past 50 now, so it won't stunt his growth, among other things. ;-) And, the sugar was messing with his blood pressure and cholesterol.

It's the one thing I won't give up unless I'm forced to. I just enjoy it too much! There are so many different flavors and types to try!

o

Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 10:51

Demi, your posts are becoming raving rants. I opened 3 threads this morning and it's the same snark on every one.

o

"Of course their Folgers is just fine with them.
Too bad they don't know they are being bad for buying a product not approved by liberals.

I guess those poor people without cars or unable to pay for the gasoline (surely you understand) to drive to big cities to find whole coffee beans at a reasonable price are just not doing their best to find fair trade and buy organic, huh?

Well, shame on them!"

I have a new favorite quote that covers posts like that. I do not remember where it came from.
"Sarcasm without humor only belies resentment and doesn't accomplish a thing."

o

I like it too, Frank!

I think the person that made it up was way smarter than a coffee bean!

At least the person that made that up isn't a whiner, and hasn't had any coffee either!

Natal--I apologize, you're right.

For some reason the wolves are out lately and I'm not in the mood to humor them, you know?

So, sometimes people get called out on their personal remarks and digs.

It's just gonna happen, natal.

o

Just ignore the kindergarten.

o

Bought 2 pounds of French Italian Espresso yesterday on my 3rd cup (it has about the same caffeine as any other roast)
There was an article in Mens fitness that exercise & caffeine could reduce the chances of skin cancer.
I think CNN is carrying something similar today!

Here's were I buy my beans they have been there for over 100 years

Probably the major supplier to all the coffee houses in the Village during the 50's & 60's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drink Up

o

I agree Marshall, sunscreen is suspect. I think I'm going to start running another pot of water through the once-brewed grounds and add the 2nd run brew to my bathwater.

Frank, you can order fair trade, organic coffee online. One company in the following sample search offers whole bean or ground beans in 25 lb. burlap sacks.

Here is a link that might be useful: sample search

o

omg labrea, I'd just have to pull up a chair and sit. That is coffee heaven!! sniff sniff

o

The numerous poor and low income people in our non immediate family drink Chock Full O'Nuts, Folgers and Maxwell House perked coffee and Folgers and Taster's Choice instant coffee.

Taster's Choice instant is about the most expensive instant coffee you can buy at most stores. Even so, even when it's not on sale, it's still less than 10 cents per cup (more than 4X cheaper than a single cigarette)

o

Might I remind some people that there's this new thing called shopping online, and having items shipped right to your door... sometimes found at half or less the cost of shopping at a retail store.

o

Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 11:34

I have no idea how poor people and buying coffee came into it .... it seemed to me we were just talking about what coffee we drink, at least I saw no offense in what we were discussing as far as poor people. Shrug

I have to admit that I do not like Folgers, but would take that over the instant coffee out of a jar my dad used to drink.

Trader Joes has good prices on their coffee as well as on their other products, wish there was one close to me since I only drive when I have to .. :)

o

We patronize a local coffe shop where she roasts the beans and can make recommendations on which coffees we like. I try to limit myself to 2 mugs a day that may go down though. We had a pretty good cuisinart that bit the dust last week. We had tried a a $30 pot and that made a thin, watery cup. That went back. We then tried another Cuisinart, but not the same one we had. It is better, but still not as full bodied and we do not have the cash for a better pot right now and it is not worth it to me to just drink coffee when it is not good coffee.

Jodi, we actually like the oils in our coffee. To each their own I suppose.

o

Labrea, :) My coffee (and tea) purveyor too (as well as Orens). It used to be one of the few places that I was able to find gunpowder tea.

DH's new toy is his syphon and he loves it. It does make amazing coffee.

I have no idea how poor people and buying coffee came into it

Because some people aren't happy unless they make everything contentious. Discussions without calling out those they dislike or look down on bores them.

o

I drink two mugs in the morn, then I am done.

Ditto.

-Ron-

o

Tish,

The floating oily sheen is a product of the darker roasting of coffee beans. The longer you roast the beans, the more coffee oils are produced in the bean. You must like the darker full roasts, whereas it sounds like Jodi likes the lighter roasts.

I think coffee taste is a very individual thing. Personally, I've alwyas hated Starbucks, no matter what kind of beans or roast I pick, it always tastes off. We joke that it tastes like coffefloor sweepings. But there are so many people who enjoy the flavours yet hate the beans and roasts that I enjoy.

To each their own.

o

Jeez ... a benign subject like coffee can bring out the snarkiness. I LOVE coffee and drink two mugs a day.I was drinking as I read this and took my mug and measured the capacity by pouring water in it. No surprise, my mug hold a full 16 ounces!!. So I drink 32 ounces a day.
First the health reports said coffee was bad for you ,but lately it seems like it's all good news. Hope they're right about helping dementia and skin cancer at bay.

I am one of the few who don't like Starbucks. I think it's bitter. I like Panera Bread's coffee. While I buy from a good coffee shop , I also like Dunking donuts. I would never put sugar in coffee, but I do like a drop of Baileys coffee creamer, non- alcoholic and real kind too sometimes.

My dad's family were coffee drinkers but I didn't start till 30. My kids don't drink it.. My dad used to drink the instant coffee , I remember. Yuck.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 13:39

No flavors, no (if it can be helped) instant. This is the Middle East, folks, and coffee is part of the culture. Bedouin, "Turkish", thick, dark, black. I stopped putting sugar in my coffee a few years ago, and I like it with milk now, full fat, you betcha. We get ours fresh ground and roasted by a guy in the market, and the two of us go through about 1.5 kilos a month. One cup in the morning - 2 if I don't have to rush to work. And don't mess with the 3:30-4:00 coffeetime every day; it's our hello-how-are-you time. But age will tell and if I drink later than 6pm, I won't sleep. We have two espresso makers, and use both every morning. Add hot water and it's great, strong, and makes me grateful every time. Free trade is exorbitantly expensive here, organic available but also very expensive.
Iced coffee is not my thing - if I want something cold I'll make herbal tea from the garden, lemon verbena and mint usually. But coffee, now, that's a must. Not for the caffeine, just for the smell and taste.

I read a science fiction story once where the race of a planet valued aromas like jewels, and earth people brought coffee for them to marvel at and they were entranced. Wouldn't drink it for love nor money, but the smell experience was made practically ceremonial! And another sci fi series has Earth people opening coffeeshops offworld to lull the invading aliens into complacency.

o

To each their own is right. I like love coffee, always have - black with no anything in it. I've rarely met a cup of coffee I didn't like, except maybe Starbucks which always tastes over roasted/burned to me. I'm no snob when it comes to coffee - Folgers in the red plastic can is fine, so is Master's Choice from Walmart in the big blue can, so are some of the offerings by our local roasters.

I drink a 12 cup pot a day - course the measure is geared to the standard place setting size cup and not my traditional mug. I generally stop drinking it by 4 or 5 PM though - don't know why since it's never kept me awake.

o

I admit I am a snob. I will drink Folgers with a smile on my face if offered to me by the hostess, otherwise, I will not bother. I tend to favor many of the African coffees. The shop we go to, she tailors the roast to the bean.

I think there are many who do not like Starbucks and I find the quality of the bean does not matter there since they french roast it all which just tastes like burnt coffee to me. Here is a link to the shop we visit. I think the Yemen and Guatemalan are my favorites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moon's coffee and tea

o

I love coffee. The dr. has cut me back to two or three cups a day and it is killing me. My favorite is Community's Columbian coffee. I also have a cold press for iced coffee which I love on hot afternoons. Now and then I will pick up a Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha for a dessert.

o

I have always found the shade grown one to be very smooth, but perhaps it is a factor of the roast, not the bean then.

o

Go figure, eh, Lily? I guess low income folks aren't supposed to enjoy any of the finer things in life. It must be against some rule, or something... I dunno...

If we can't find what we want online, or from some other source, we go for the whole beans sold at Sam's Club. Once ground, I get about 2 and a half regular sized cans of coffee out of one bag. It's a great savings, and we much prefer fresh ground to the junk canned and sold as regular American coffee.

I can't afford to waste $5 for a cup of latte or some other fancy coffee with extra fat added from a Starbucks or anywhere like that, and we don't have a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods store anywhere nearby... but since we like good coffee, we look for the best deal on the different free trade coffees grown in other areas of the world. I'm not happy with a lot of products sold in America these days and how they're processed.

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 15:05

Go figure, eh, Lily? I guess low income folks aren't supposed to enjoy any of the finer things in life. It must be against some rule, or something... I dunno...

Jodik, go drink some more coffee and read the thread.

My pity party was FOR the poor people who drank the "common" stuff and "Starcra*," according to Maddie.
Not everyone has a computer or the inclination to order whole coffee beans online. I sure hope they can live with themselves not getting the good stuff.

I don't know of anyone that has any interest in whether "poor" people enjoy their coffee or not, unless they own stock in a coffee company or work at their ad firm~

Sorry to disappoint, you invented a pity party that wasn't there~

o

Starcra* ain't for the poor at over 3 bucks a cup. I can't always manage to afford free trade, organic or artisan coffees, most of the time it's good old Maxwell House for us. Actually, it's not too bad :)

o

I agree with you lavenderlvr, it's expensive.
But many people go there, whether they can actually afford it or not.

I don't see a thing wrong with Folger's, Maxwell House or Dunkin Donuts coffee, either.

Of course if we can afford to help the environment and purchase the best products for our bodies, that's good.
That's not always reasonable.

My point was that people should not be looked down on, criticized or mocked for the type of coffee they drink.

People can choose what to do with their money, and what to buy.

This is very much like people being disparaged for being "cheap Chinese" products at WALMART and for purchasing food at McDonalds.

There exists a whole world of liberal snobbery about these things.

o

Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 15:45

You read that "people are looked down on, criticized or mocked" and I read just another poster's opinion Demi. I don't like Starbucks coffee and and I will drink Folgers over instant coffee (as I said)... does that make me a liberal snob? I don't think so, was just saying what I like without criticizing what others drink .. shrug

I have been guilty of knee jerk reactions myself .. maybe we all are.

:)

o

Look at all the "diversity" in 40 some responses. Just as long as no one's regarded a peasant for liking what they like, I don't really care.

Reminds me a bit of the old wine tasting. Labels covered and all in attendance oohed and aahed over the bouquet, the fine finish of one particular sample. A $6.95 vin ordinaire.

I'm having my last cup of today's Fitger's Blend - certified Kosher and Organic Fair Trade.

o

Except that I never said anything about poor people. My post was about ripping off people by selling them crappy goods.

Talk about distorting other people's posts, and being incapable of grasping even the most simple postings. But that's not our problem.

o

I've been avoiding this forum for several months now and just ducked in today to see if anything has changed.

It hasn't. The people I disliked for their styles of "attack" are still here and just as obnoxious as they were before.

At least I'm glad Maddie got back here and defended herself--but why was she attacked in the first place?

Same 'ol, same 'ol.

If anyone needs to get hold of me, you can probably find me on the rose forum. : )

Bye, bye.

Kate

o

Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 16:22

There exists a whole world of liberal snobbery about these things.

True, but sometimes it's as simple as preference. I can drink Community coffee, but I'd rather coffee made with fresh roasted beans. I do like their frozen Mochasippi with chocolate.

o

Whoah Kate don't you go AWOL on us again Team Sanity needs you!!

o

"There exists a whole world of liberal snobbery about these things"

That is your perception of what some liberals may say or post. It is how you choose to interpret it. That's fine, so perhaps you will be more understanding of how your comments are perceived.

o

My Dad started me drinking coffee when I was 4. They drank Chase & Sanborn (sp) instant. Can't remember a brewer in my youth. We had a milk cow so it was probably coffee-milk. Milk and sugar got jettisoned at an early age.
Fast forward to college and it was what got you through waking up, classes, and finals.
Bump it forward to unlimited quantities in the Navy and I had an addiction. I'm 63 now and can't imagine a day without at least my morning coffee. I actually get late day headaches if deprived from my caffeine fix.
I have a Black & Decker drip brewer that I bought in 1984. It works well and has coffee ready for me when I get up (how cool is that). I prefer to grind the beans the night before, whatever sounds good and not crazy expensive, but will gratefully drink Folgers, Maxwell, etc. I am prejudiced against anything de-caffeinated(grin).

o

Coffee IS a luxury--sue me. We drink one pot/day; half decaf-half not, freshly ground daily at home, and freshly roasted bi-weekly in our town.

It's seems strange to us that something that smells so good while brewing smells so foul while roasting.

But I won't think about that right now; for some reason I'm craving a cup of fresh coffee :-D

o

Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 19:07

Steve my dad used to save me the last little bit in his cup every morning ... it was a little ritual with us ... that mom would have frowned on. He drank Nescafe instant with cream and sugar. I drink mine with a wee bit of sugar, no cream and I grind my beans fresh every morning. I like the ritual of preparing coffee .. and in the warm weather I go out on the roof in my "garden of delight" to enjoy. Bought my first Mr. Coffee in the early 70's .. :)

o

Folger's and 8 o'clock are very tasty, and not North American but South American. Is there any N. American coffee?

I love Fourbucks but can't afford it by the cup. I do by the beans from them if I have extra $$$$.

o

I like the ritual of preparing coffee ..

Me too. One of the most pleasant times of my day.

o

I must be addicted, because if I go out in the evening for dinner and don't order coffee, the next morning I have a headache and I never get headaches.

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 8:54

Thank you, Maddie... I do believe that American coffee is much like other American products... chemically processed, added to, or watered down.

What is American coffee? I thought the only USA location, where coffee is grown commercially, is Hawaii. Kona is very good.

o

I've never had an addiction to coffee and only drank it when
working a midnight shift - it helped a little , but at that time(early 90s) I got prescription diet pills that helped a whole lot more.To me coffee is a weak fake stimulant that will soon leave you flat and wanting more . Large ice tea please at the monthly worker reunion where we all meet and no damn coffee!

o

So, nine--you really like coffee, then. ;-)

o

American coffees would be the pre-ground substances, grown elsewhere, imported, and labeled under names we've been familiar with for decades... Hill Bros., Maxwell House, Folgers, generic brands, etc. They leave an oily coating on my cups, give me heartburn way more often than the organically grown free trade coffees, and cost an arm and a leg. Their prices fluctuate madly, it seems... but this can be based on poor weather, etc...

There are several methods of coffee production, and decaf uses certain chemicals that I wouldn't be comfortable drinking.

A good portion of coffee beans, or cherries, are picked by hand... though big plantations use machinery... and those workers are paid rather poorly... though some companies do pay their workers a fair compensation.

Some coffee farms use pesticides and herbicides, and other farms dump the water from processing into the local rivers, which fouls the water. Still others that export to the US use inferior beans, etc...

I've gotten used to a better variety of organically grown coffees that I can grind myself. The beans are fresh, first rate, and once ground I get a lot more for the price.

Again, like any other product, one must read labels or research to find what they want. Not all coffees are created equally.

o

Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 9:00

NO DECAF ! You will take my caffeine out of my cold dead hand :)

I visited a local coffee roaster here in Cleveland (Phoenix Coffee which is locally owned) and it was very informative. At the end they gave us large coffee bags made from jute, I made a purse out of one the other will be a shopping bag.

I don't like pre-ground coffee, like to grind my own beans ... the finer the grind the stronger the coffee. Also do not like flavored coffees and/or creams. My kids do.

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 8:51

"There are several methods of coffee production, and decaf uses certain chemicals that I wouldn't be comfortable drinking."

Not all. Just make sure its made this way. This is the only good decaf method, IMHO. For people who love coffee, but can't handle too much caffiene, it's a lifesaver.

"Swiss Water Process

The Swiss Water Process is a method of decaffeinating coffee beans developed by the Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Company. To decaffeinate the coffee bean by the Swiss Water method, a batch of green (unroasted) beans is soaked in hot water, releasing caffeine. When all the caffeine and coffee solids are released into the water, the beans are discarded. The water then passes through a carbon filter that traps caffeine but lets the coffee solids pass through. The resulting solution, called "green coffee extract (GCE)" by the company, is now available for decaffeinating coffee. New green coffee beans are introduced to the GCE. Since the GCE is coffee solids without caffeine, only the caffeine diffuses from the new beans. The GCE passes through proprietary carbon, which captures the caffeine. The process repeats, filtering out all the caffeine until the beans are 99.9% caffeine-free. These beans are removed and dried, and thus retain most if not all of their flavor.

Although the process was pioneered in Switzerland in the 1930s, today the world's last major Swiss Water Process decaffeination facility is based near Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.[2] However this process is simple enough to be used locally by many coffee roasters."

o

My dear sweet southern Grannie believed babies cried for coffee-since she had a cup of ultra strong coffee well dosed with milk and sugar in her hand while she lugged me around perhaps I did but she fed me coffee from a spoon when I was but a wee baby and I dont remember a time when I didn't have my own cup-she even gave coffee to the cat(I think he was after the milk)
We are not above roasting our own on the weekends but usually get a good dark French roast and make it strong enough to stand on. We have a Dutch coffee maker(seriously hot water to make the coffee) and an Itallian grinder to get the perfect grind. We take our coffee seriously in this house hold.
The worst headache I know is the one you get when you dont have your cup of coffee in the morning but I am more than willing to put up with that in exchange for the amazing rush of that first gulp of perfect coffee. I am an addict. Today I only drink two or three mugs a day not because I am afraid of coffee but I have never been able to break the cream and sugar habit so I have to think about calories.

o

Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 14:02

... okay ever since I had a blog and would find folks just copying word for word ( my photos also) from my site, it irks me to no end when folks post stuff without giving credit where credit is due. If they are not your words, please have the decency to acknowledge (link) the folks who actually took the time to research and post.

My pet peeve of the day :)

o

We are not above roasting our own on the weekends but usually get a good dark French roast and make it strong enough to stand on. We have a Dutch coffee maker(seriously hot water to make the coffee) and an Itallian grinder to get the perfect grind. We take our coffee seriously in this house hold.

glances up at the lead line - PNW. Yup.

o

I love coffee, especially a dark roast Sumatra - the Queen of Coffees.

Indonesian, followed by African, then South American. I wish more people roasted African coffees to something other than light to medium; they have so much potential, but people tend to leave them too underdone.

o

Aaah I miss the food porn!

Excessive copy & paste, and not citing the source on top of it is a violation of copyright laws.

We take our coffee seriously in this house hold.

Ha! French press here.

o

demi:There exists a whole world of liberal snobbery about these things

chase: That is your perception of what some liberals may say or post. It is how you choose to interpret it. That's fine, so perhaps you will be more understanding of how your comments are perceived.

My thoughts exactly, Chase.

Somehow it's perfectly fine for demi to put words in other's mouths. But God help the person that does that to her. A tirade will surely follow.

I love my coffee. I always hated Starbucks until they recently (-ish?) introduced the blonde brew. I like that one a lot. And since they supported gay marriage and that awful group (can't remember which one) tried to organize a boycott of them, I was happy to start buying my coffee there.

I also like Dunkin Donuts coffee. During youth baseball season, we make their stock rise significantly. We drink a lot of iced coffee at baseball games. And hot coffee at those ridiculously early games we seem to always have.

At home, we order beans on line. Used to love Kona coffee (liked it so much we named our dog Kona!), but then something happened there and the coffee got stupid expensive. So, we had to find something else. Discovered Java which we like just as much. When the weather situation in Kona resolved and they were able to grow coffee again, and the price came down, we ordered it again but it was never the same.

In NYC, I also like Pret a Manger coffee (and their food).

It's all expensive, but I love my coffee. No flavored coffee of any kind. No milk, no sugar. Just coffee.

o

Somehow it's perfectly fine for demi to put words in other's mouths. But God help the person that does that to her. A tirade will surely follow.

:) Do as she says, not as she does.

Ditto for me with the French Press. It is my bff in the morning. DH has his new toy, (he looks like a mad scientist when he is using it), but I still like my French press. When I am more ambitious I will make a cappucino in the a.m. but now that the summer is here I usually save my espresso for an afternoon affogato.
No flavored coffee for me although once in a while DH will make coffee with hawaij.

I haven't tasted their lighter roast but I was never a big fan of Starbucks. Their regular coffee always tasted over roasted to me.

I have several grinders, one for coffee and the other two for spices. My BIL found out the hard way to not to grind coffee beans in the spice grinder. He was staying here for a few days and didn't know that the grinder on the counter was the one for strong spices. Cumin flavored coffee is not pleasant to say the least.

o

Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 17:42

LOL Epi I have two grinders also ... one for spices and one for coffee, but what I am putting on my wish list this year is a hand grinder for my beans. Lehmans has them and I will drop DEEP hints to the children this Fall.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 18:15

2 cups in the morning to kick start the brain, every day, that's it.

o

I would love to have a French Press, and have my eyes open for one in my price range. I like my coffee black and as strong as I can get it. Some might call it near espresso, and some might term it mud... but I like it strong... whether hot, or cold on ice.

I've always found it rude to copy what others write without giving credit... and I try to do that, give credit, when I copy exact wording... even if it's only from Wiki.

Another thing I find rude is to scold others for doing exactly what that person does... I believe the adage, "practice what you preach", fits in nicely here...

Isn't it odd that we can't even discuss coffee without being taken to task for some perceived faux pas, or something...

o

I'm sure it was a simple oversight with regards to crediting the source, as there were quotations marks. I don't understand the big deal, a courteous reminder would have sufficed. Tough crowd here.

o

Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 19:42

As I stated it is just a pet peeve of mine ... after seeing my original work/pics pirated by others without a link/acknowledgment back to my blog ... and it was done twice in two days, once on this thread and then on another.

Yes I am sure it was just an oversight, twice.

o

Do a search, again and again the Scandinavian countries consume more coffee per capita than the US.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- earlier someone posted that they never add sugar to coffee and then they said they use non-dairy creamer. Is there such a thing as a non-dairy creamer made w/o sugar or dried corn syrup? I don't think so.
I would encourage anyone who uses sugar or non-dairy creamer in coffee to try it unsweetened, it is so much better that way.

o

what I am putting on my wish list this year is a hand grinder for my beans. Lehmans has them and I will drop DEEP hints to the children this Fall.

Nice OM. My money's on you. When you get it please let me know how you like it. When the electric one's start dying I wouldn't mind replacing them with a hand grinder.

My mother has my grandmother's. It still works well considering it is from the stone age ;). She won't part with it or GM's meat grinder. I have tried bribery and theft . Neither has worked...yet. :)

o

Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 21:17

I have quite a few non-electric kitchen tools, including a vintage meat grinder that I use ... which is why I am looking for a coffee grinder. Never know when we will need to return to the "old ways" plus I like knowing that I am using tools that some woman, like my grandmother and mother, once held in their hands. Estate sales are good places to shop for these.

Better start dropping those hints now :)

o

I didn't put words in anyone's mouth.

There is a distinct, but important difference.

In any event, should I choose to do so, I have a whole lot more of that to do to even BEGIN to tit for tat the comments about me. Hundreds of posts, actually.

Still haven't gotten an answer about what income level you're allowed before you get a pass for buying "common" coffee and "Starcra*."

It's okay, I didn't expect one.

o

Definitely incapable.

o
RE: ...US is #1 coffee consumer! Bet you didn't

Ha! Epi--I have my mom's grinder, actually it's my Gran's. Some 80 years old. Hand grinders are way better than electric ones. Electric grinders don't really grind--they "hack". Estate sales is a good idea, if you're lucky you might find one manufactured by Peugeot, they're the best, mine's a Peugeot.

Chuckles at Mr. "gadgets" Epi.

o

I do not drink coffee. I drink 4 cups of black tea and one cup of green tea a day.

If you hear a Liberal tell you they only drink.....Kupi Luwak bean, Jamaican Blue Mountain, or Jacu Bird coffee. Then you can say There exists a whole world of liberal snobbery about these things

I have only tried the Jamaican Blue Mountain the others I refused to try.

o

I have my grandmother's old meat grinder too. It's one of those you attach to the table. I'd like to make homemade sausage one of these days.

o

Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 7:49

There was a sausage making demo at our local farmers market last year ... was awesome. The guys made it look so easy, after stuffing into the skins they grilled them and boy were they good, nothing like the processed stuff at the grocer.

Here is a tutorial lavenderlver ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Recipes

o

My first cup of 'coffee' had no coffee in it at all Camp Coffee was made from chicory. I have advanced since then and since traveling to Italy, we have a stove top and use a blend from a shop in Montreal called 'Italia' when feeling flush I buy a small quantity of 'Jamaican Blue Mountain' which is so good I am reluctant to swallow. I recently bought Nespresso machine that gives excellent but expensive espresso when you are in a hurry or drink Italian style.

Perhaps a method of enjoying coffee that might improve the demeanor of some posters would be a coffee enema apparently Joan Rivers swears by it.

o

Oh, Ink, you mistake tit for tat as a poor demeanor!~

Goose and gander don't work too well, here, do they?

Anyway, some territories are better appreciated in their virgin state.

Just made a quick pot of coffee so we can take a cup on the road with us. Organic half and half only.

Bottoms up!

o

Not to get into the one upsmanship of who's grinder is...

I've got an old Krups that serves me well enough on the occasions I buy whole bean coffees. Yes, it is fun to grind beans or hack them as some think. I love my coffee; just haven't elevated it to a religious experience as some might along with only steel cut oats yadda yadda yadda.

o

One cup a day in the morning for me. If caffeine helps prevent skin cancer, maybe I should up that to two. Years ago, I drank coffee all day long. I went through caffeine withdrawal (serious headaches) when I weaned myself off it. I can't drink anything with caffeine after about 3:00PM or I won't sleep at night.

I hate instant coffee and reheated coffee and non dairy creamer (powdered or liquid). Those fake creamers leave a nasty coating in my mouth. Please just give me a cup of freshly brewed with a splash of skim milk to lighten it a bit. We used to grind our own beans but I hated throwing the leftover coffee out almost as much as I hate reheated coffee so we switched to a single cup machine. I love it since DH prefers one kind of coffee and I prefer another.

Just a point of interest for people who use the fake creamers, a friend (who was probably a bit inebriated at the time) decided to use some as a glaze for pottery. He painted a piece of greenware with some and fired the piece. He said it made a pretty but not durable "glaze" on the piece.

o

Thanks Maddie and OM. I will look into this and since I am at estate sales and flea markets all summer I will keep a look out. I have a burr grinder for coffee which works well for espresso. If the hand grinder can grind for the espresso machine then I am in.

I make sausages all the time - one of the reason that I want my Grandmother's meat grinder. It is very easy and taste better than store bought. If you don't want to look for casings or bother with them you can just make patties. I have a great electric grinder with an attachment to make sausages but it never comes out as well as when I use the hand crank. The texture is better and the sausages just taste better.

There are lots of good recipes online. Bruce Aidell's recipes haven't let me down and if you don't want to buy his books many are available on the net. I linked to another site that has many recipes for sausages from around the world, as well as luncheon meats, salt and dry cured varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another good site with a plethora of sausage recipes

o

Duluth--that was not my intent.

People were drinking coffee long before electric grinders were around. These vintage grinders were built to last, and I don't see anything wrong with keeping them in use (you can also buy a new Peugeot, they still make them). My point is the same as to why you should buy organic coffee -- sustainability. Organic is progressive.

o

To some people, I suppose everything and anything is a luxury, or certainly could be termed so with some excuse... to me, coffee is a necessity! It's part of every morning, and has been since I was about 13. I'm not giving it up now. I've simply researched a better way to buy it and keep it affordable, while also keeping it less processed and more natural, while helping mother earth and other peoples that need it.

o

Someone asked about coffee grown in the US. I know that it is grown in both Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Other than that, I don't think the climate is right for growing coffee in the US.

Labrea, I bet the coffee shop smells heavenly.

o

I passed up a hand coffee grinder at a garage sale several years ago--she wanted $20, and I thought it was too much for this old wood and iron relic. Smacking self on forehead. Back then, I didn't know. The memory haunts me.

DIB, I tried steel cut oats from the grocery store - 28 oz. John McCann for $11 - fell in love. Fortunately, the local "soup to nuts" store sells them for $2/lb. So I refill my fancy metal can on the cheap. Not a luxury anymore, though it feels like a luxury, without the guilt and pain :-)

o

It should be pretty clear that by 'American coffee' we meant coffee sold in the US, common knowledge that the US is not a coffee growing nation, I thought it was a given that everyone would know that. Maybe not...

o

Thank you for the links Ohiomom and Epiphyticlvr. The recipes sound wonderful (especially the Polenta Sausage Mozzarella Casserole and the one for linguica). Good idea about making patties instead of attempting links, so much easier for a novice!

o

Posted by maddie_athome (My Page) on Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 13:26

"It should be pretty clear that by 'American coffee' we meant coffee sold in the US, common knowledge that the US is not a coffee growing nation, I thought it was a given that everyone would know that. Maybe not..."

Well, I didn't think there could be much coffee grown here in the US. But it sure sounded like maybe you all knew about some awful American coffee being grown. Just giving you the benefit of the doubt...

o

It's also a given that US FDA regulations are lax and favor the corporations with the most money, lobbyists, power, and influence... thereby not assuring a quality or completely safe product for the consumer.

o

Two cups a day and then done. Like Steve, I've been drinking coffee since I can remember and my kids all drink it now. Percolated coffee is the BEST and I will never go back to a drip.

Jodik, if you're drinking that much coffee, I am guessing you're not getting your required water consumption. Are you?

o

Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 7:14

"It's also a given that US FDA regulations are lax and favor the corporations with the most money, lobbyists, power, and influence... thereby not assuring a quality or completely safe product for the consumer."

I have a question about that. I've often wondered about imported foods and safety. How do we know they are safe? How do we know they are organically grown, or that the workers at those plantations growing coffee or whatever else are not abused? I don't know how we can really feel we're doing the "responsible" or green thing when we buy these products. We don't really know how the products were grown, any more than we know that "FDA Approved" means anything at all.

Too cynical?

o

It's also a given that US FDA regulations are lax and favor the corporations with the most money, lobbyists, power, and influence... thereby not assuring a quality or completely safe product for the consumer.

This is so true. Look at all the Salmonella outbreaks, and the constant recall of food sold in the grocery store. A little bit of arsenic in your kids apple juice is not a problem.

o

Oh well sausage-well my sainted Grannie was also the worlds best sausage maker-she started with a dead pig or two. It was the delight of my life to help. I once helped wash the guts-you would not believe...I have a smoke house to take advantage of what I learned from her.

The advantage of a hand grinder is not heating up the beans and so releasing the oil. We have a German one but usually use the Itallian one for ease. It is supposed to keep the beans cool. A Zassenhaus would be nice..

o

Why on earth would anyone think coffee is all I drink? Did I say that? No... I said, between myself and my husband, we probably kill off about 4 pots a day... maybe more... maybe less... I don't count or keep track. We make it as we want it, and we drink as much as we like. We sometimes even share it with others who stop by and want a cup or two. It takes all of 3 minutes to make a pot, so it's not a huge hassle to put one on when visitors stop by, or we feel like we want a cup.

We pre-grind an entire bag, then keep it well packaged and in the freezer to help retain freshness. That's how we like it. I like cold coffee, too... so I sometimes make espresso over ice, kind of like Marshallz.

I also ingest plenty of other liquids, plus vitamins and minerals, and complete nutrition every day... so, just to head a scolding off at the pass, don't worry that I'm not able to properly hydrate or feed myself. I know more about what my particular body needs than anyone, and my husband is somewhat of an 'expert' when it comes to nutrition and health, having studied the subjects for both humans and canines, and he's kind of a stickler about taking good care of me, just as he's always been about ensuring proper nutrition for our dogs. Our kids, too, were subjected to his regimen of eating and drinking as healthy as we were able to. And living out in the boonies, away from the trappings of suburbia, like fast foods and huge grocery stores... and knowing the people we know in various lines of work... it's amazing how healthy a person can feel... even WITH health issues.

I don't know why it's necessary for me to explain my life story every time I make a statement about something. I can guarantee this much... we've lived a very different life than most people who frequent this board. Just the few things I've mentioned that don't fit into the city or suburban lifestyle have freaked out some folks.

Yes... we are well aware that coffees and teas act as diuretics, and we compensate nicely. Does that satisfy your curiosity?

o

Jodik, what's with the chip on your shoulder? It's your choice to offer as much information as you do about yourself, so why act so surprised when you're questioned. I happen to be in the fitness/nutrition field and one of my first concerns for ANYONE is proper hydration. Your diatribe was unnecessary.

o

Maybe if your lifestyle was questioned as often as Jodi's is you would become impatient too.

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 13:05

Wouldn't it be nice if we could discuss something as innocuous as a cup of java without snark?

Was going to ask about your favorite ice cream ... but don't want to get "creamed".

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 12:59

"Maybe if your lifestyle was questioned as often as Jodi's is you would become impatient too."

What!? Jodi has been very forthcoming about her personal life--in fact more than anyone else, with the possible exception of Labrea. And it's been unsolicited for the most part. Puh-leeze.

That's not a critcism; just an observation based on observations.

o

Elvis, the fact Jodi is forthcoming does not give people the right to challenge her lifestyle choices in the way that they do.

If you think I'm wrong perhaps Demi, who has experienced the same thing as Jodi, might offer her perspective.

o

Not to mention the various insults, calling her Jabba the hut, for instance. Or calling others jerks, and stupid. Not that this would surprise anyone.

o
RE: ...US is #1 coffee consumer! Bet you didn't

Jodi doesn't feel compelled to poke her nose into other people's lives. There is a difference.

o

I guess I just don't understand why everything I mention requires a qualifier... I don't ask personal questions or delve into anyone else's life, pick it apart, and criticize it.

I offer examples, and personal experiences that fit into the OP... sometimes, that's all I have to offer. Not everything we discuss can be answered with a linked article. Sometimes, an opinion is what's needed.

I'm so terribly sorry that my opinions and experiences don't live up to the expectations of the entire crowd. What more can I say?

o

Oh, for heaven's sake.

o

Yes, I agree with Maddie, I have never seen where Jodi probed with personal questions about another person's life and there really IS a difference. Maybe House, you didn't mean for your "Do you" question to come off as snark but I was taken back by the very sharpness that seemed to come through from it. It's all perception and Jodi's perception was that it was snarky, also. I don't know if you are at all interested in my take on it, but in case you are wondering if others took your remark in snarkiness you didn't mean, you have my take - which of course is easily discounted or ignored if you are not interested.

Jodi, I have been drinking french pressed coffee for years and one of the keys to a good cup of french pressed coffee is proper temp of the water - I played with my microwave and my big measuring cup full of water to get the temp exactly right from the time it was finished nuking to when I pour it into the press - I can no longer remember what the correct temp is now since I time my water to be exactly seven minutes nuking - but you could easily find out online. I find water temp to be as important or more so than the actual bean - and the proper grind of the bean is really important, also I have personally found.

You might want to break out your good, big thermos - as the drawback to french pressed coffee is that it cools quickly and nuking it back to being hot is just GROSS and ruins the whole freaking POINT of french pressed coffee *LOL*

Such a french-pressed coffee liberal snob, I am. HA!

(But all that stuff really DOES make a difference, I swear it does, I swear!

Ah jeeze, there I go again!)

o

As far as I know, Jodik and I have never had any personal issues with each other out-loud on this forum. Our disagreements have always been issues-related.

o

Am I the only down-market user of the humble stove-top espresso maker? Mine are Italian of stainless steel instead of the traditional post-war aluminum.

o

I'm guessing I'm the only one wedded to the Mellita system of paper cones for making a fine cuppa.

o

No. Marshall, you're not alone.

o

Was going to ask about your favorite ice cream ...

Um, that would be COFFEE flavored. Really, it is. I love coffee ice cream. A root beer float with coffee ice cream is delicious. So much more interesting than vanilla ice cream, in my opinion. Hot fudge sundae with coffee ice cream. Yum. Or just a scoop of coffee ice cream all by itself.

Hagen Daaz makes those little single serve cups in coffee flavor. Very dangerous.

o

Thanks, Mylab... when I get a French Press, I'll be sure to research water temperature and perfect grind. It took us a bit to find the right settings on our Cuisinart to get a perfect grind for the coffee maker we have, but it keeps water heated to the perfect temperature.

I often make it stronger than normal, because I like to drop an ice cube in so I can drink right away. I hate waiting for coffee to cool to a drinkable temperature! When I wake up, I want my coffee now! ;-)

After having checked out a few websites on French Presses, they look incredibly awesome... like it's the best way to make the perfect cup. The concept is really neat!

o

>> Um, that would be COFFEE flavored. Really, it is. I love coffee ice cream. A root beer float with coffee ice cream is delicious. So much more interesting than vanilla ice cream, in my opinion. Hot fudge sundae with coffee ice cream. Yum. Or just a scoop of coffee ice cream all by itself. <<

I see. You must be from RI (wink) just like the OP... they love coffee ice cream. Coffee milk, too. As far as I know, RI's eat more coffee ice cream than anyone else. My sister loves coffee ice cream.

A Float, huh? Being from neighboring Massachusetts, we know our Floats.. and Frappes, too

Sea

o

After having checked out a few websites on French Presses, they look incredibly awesome... like it's the best way to make the perfect cup. The concept is really neat!

Definitely right on all counts.

Also one of the cheapest ways to make the most excellent coffee what more could you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here