Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Global warming hits home! Making me a

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 6:25

a believer when I was a skeptic before. Just look at the temps on a weather map for the US today, Thunderstorms more like hurricanes adds proof to the pudding. Surely there can be no disagreement with my assessment, and, besides, it is too hot for feuding...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Global warming hits home! Making me a

Anyone with a brain that works logically can see that humankind has, at the very least, hastened what are irreversible changes in our overall climate due to our poor treatment of the planet.

I'm a huge skeptic, but the evidence doesn't lie. For every action there is a consequence.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 6:35

Well let's see, in my little corner of the world we are under a "heat advisory", "severe thunderstorm watch" with hail. Should be fun driving to work this morn. We are already at 80 degrees, my apartment does not cool off, the fan is pushing around the hot air .... yeah I need a little cheese with my whine :)

....oh and by the way the deniers are calling this a natural cycle, you will never never never get some people to change their minds and/or admit they were wrong. I am done trying.

o

72 deg here. Probably will top out around low to mid 80's. Gotta go check on the corn and see how it is liking growing on dew.

Back to GW. The prediction has been higher temps in the interiors of continents especially, and shifts in rainfall with more uneven distribution. Witness the current drought in the "corn belt". Some areas are getting by on rain, others the crop is lost: uneven rainfall. The continent as a whole is probably getting more rain than ever, but some areas that would in the past have not lost the crop are parched, and others have more moisture than needed. 100 degree plus temps greatly shortens the window for a crop to be saved.

It may be "global" warming but the impacts are quite local.

o

Not meaning to sound condescending, I'd remind everyone that we only experience weather. Climate is a statistical measure of energy, dynamics and moisure of the atmosphere over extended periods of time.

Now I've got to get dressed in preparation for another cool, foggy, drizzly, overcast day. My tomatoes refuse to ripen. The weather service is predicting clearing and warming in my near future. Might get up to 70F at my near-beach patch of Eden by the weekend. Night-time temps are expected to fall into the lower 50s from their current mid-50s.

o

Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 8:17

Marshall do you see major crop failures because of the heat and drought? That is what many are predicting ... along with skyrocketing food prices.

....honestly I would love to see some 70's about now, another fast moving thunderstorm just passed through the area bringing absolutely no relief from the heat (90's again today).

Well I am off to work, take care peeps.

o

Yes, I anticipate widespread crop failures or substantial under-performing cropping, not only from drought but also from excessive heat and from warm-winter triggering of early blooming in perennials.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 9:02

GWing countdown thread #101.....I think (baked brain here).

Latest news on temp records show that 2012 so far has 7 high temp records broken for every 1 cold temp record broken in the US. Story below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Fox news source.......are they starting to sweat over there?

o

Yes, weather and climate are different subjects, but it still doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that we've damaged our ozone layer and created more pollution than our planet can manage, thereby changing things considerably.

I've never had plants come out of dormancy in February... nor have I ever experienced this type of pattern in heat, frost, cold, dry, etc... I live in the north, zone 5, where the first flush of roses should occur in June... not March or April... that tells me something is very off.

I'd guess part of it had to do with the BP spill, perhaps another part due to HAARP, and there are probably other variables... but our overall climate seems to be changing in a negative way.

o

Yesterday Mpls set a new high record of 101. We had 103. It is supposed to be slightly cooler (98) today. Last night I dreamed there were ripe tomatoes on the vines.

o

Don't rub it in, althea. :)

Off for marketing day at the farm

o

Sorry Marshall. It was only a dream. It's probably too hot for pollination here, if that helps.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 10:47

Heat, dreams, rubbing...

Oooo, this forum is so racy!

o

At the risk of sounding repetitious, this is the 10th day of 90+ nearing 100 and it's only getting worse. No end in sight. At noon it's 94, will hit 100 for the next three days. And we get not one drop of rain. Storms pass us by the east , to the west, north, south. We are in a bubble of drought. We have had tomatoes for weeks now and it requires daily soaking because the ground is concrete.

I fear for the planet, it's much too late to reverse this, and since I an older I will not have this to contend with for decades and decades like my grand kids . THIS is the new normal,suck it up climate change deniers.

o

I think we've passed the tipping point, too, Lily. There's no going back from what we, as a species, have done to our planet... the only habitable one we know of currently. Even if we did find one, could we get to it and start a colony before we completely decimate this one?

You and I will probably not be around to see the end results of our greed, waste, lack of compassion and common sense... but our children and their children will have to suffer the consequences of our, and past generations' carelessness.

o

Detroit also set a new record for the date yesterday, 101 F, and only 4 degrees shy of the all time record set in the 1930's. Tomorrow is going to be hotter than yesterday. I was brought out of a deep sleep at 4:30 in the morning by a terrible storm that dropped a large branch from my maple tree inches from the roof of my house, and right on top of several dozen potted plants. I will see if there are survivors tonight. Alas, the way it goes these days. This was the same storm that rolled through Cleveland a few hours later for Ohiomom.

o

I'm with lily and jodik in that I believe it is too late to reverse the damage done to our ozone layer and I think we have reached the tipping point. It saddens me to realize our beautiful blue planet will probably self-destruct due to mankind's greed,ignorance, and hubris.

We here in the SE expect to have hot summers, but I have been shocked to note the temperatures in the upper mid-west and other northerly states. One or two days and usually the jet stream moves, but this is going on the longest I've ever seen it stay so far south.

o

It's 82 here, but the humidity is only 29%. We're always 10-15 degrees cooler than the Twin Cities. Summer here is more than tolerable; having to use AC is a rarity although this house was about the first in town to have central air.

We're 12" above normal for rain so far.

o

dulth, back in the early 80's, I think, DH and I were with family in Grand Marais over the 4th. It was foggy and cold and people were wearing parkas as it was only 49 degrees. The next day we went home to Minneapolis and the temp was 99 degrees. 50 degrees difference in only 275 miles.

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 6:23

Our antiquated electrical grid takes a back seat to profits, and with elevated temps hovering at 100 we are at risk in this country unless or until the grid is modernized. Storms have knocked out power to 4.3 million people in the last week alone with hundreds of thousands still without power.

98 today with a heat index well over 100 ... the heat is on.

o

Today is hot, mid 90's, but tomorrow will are shooting for 102 F., with dew points in the upper 60's and so-called 'real feel' temp of 110 F.. and then a chance of severe storms. Over the past couple of years, freak storms did bring down lines and lost power for days on end but luckily not in hot weather months. I can remember record heat of 105 f. as a kid in NYC, thanks in part to the urban heat island but high temps nowadays are spread across a continent. So too, unusual COOL records would also be possible in summer. I can remember one year watching the 4th of July fireworks over the river in NYC with a cold ocean breeze and temps that never got out of the 50's for the day! As a sidenote, I understand that ocean temps have been running anomalously high off the US, N.E. Coast through the Canadian Maritimes. And as we Americans complain about heat and drought and blazing sun, in Britain, the weather as only been overcast, rainy and chilly--maybe from all that melting, Arctic sea ice.

o

I strongly suggest to take action, people. Go off the grid, at least partly. For instance, run the AC for your bedroom on solar, or the pumps for the pond (Lily!). There are nifty small units, designed for mobile homes.

Also, like Woodnymph, I'm with Jodi and Lily. Irreversible. The deniers' decades of not only stalling but outright sabotaging any action will take us all down. And were there a way to limit the suffering to them would I be for it? You betcha.

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 10:58

Got rid of my A/C Maddie ... running on one fan, saw some really cool solar generators online.

o

Today is hot, mid 90's, but tomorrow will are shooting for 102 F., with dew points in the upper 60's and so-called 'real feel' temp of 110 F.. and then a chance of severe storms. Over the past couple of years, freak storms did bring down lines and lost power for days on end but luckily not in hot weather months. I can remember record heat of 105 f. as a kid in NYC, thanks in part to the urban heat island but high temps nowadays are spread across a continent. So too, unusual COOL records would also be possible in summer. I can remember one year watching the 4th of July fireworks over the river in NYC with a cold ocean breeze and temps that never got out of the 50's for the day! As a sidenote, I understand that ocean temps have been running anomalously high off the US, N.E. Coast through the Canadian Maritimes. And as we Americans complain about heat and drought and blazing sun, in Britain, the weather as only been overcast, rainy and chilly--maybe from all that melting, Arctic sea ice.

o

Melting sea ice and glaciers release a lot of cold fresh water that "floats" over denser salty ocean water. This is projected to make Western Europe colder and eventually drier but not before lots of cold wet storms track through the region. Not good news for Europe.

o

About 16 or 17 tears ago in our tiny town in Wisconsin the temperature hit 113 degrees. This was in a span of two weeks of record high temps. After that things got back to the norm. It didn't affect the weather zone maps at all.

If this bout of excess heat reoccurs for longer periods over a large number of years and they change our zone maps and there is a world wide rise in temps then I could say with a bit of confidence it is climate change. Man made global warming, I'm not so sure. The evidence has been too polluted by political issues.

When I was 10 or 11 years old I almost died from heat prostration, so you can be sure I am aware of the problem and don't make light of it but while weather patterns may seem to be changing, world wide heat rises at this time are not being reported although Pacific Ocean temps are reporting changes due to changes in currents. We just don't know right now if that is long term change. Plate subduction and the effects are not predictable and recent events have had a huge affect.

Like it or not, change is inevitable. So is the blame game and politics. Change in any form is a chance to collect power in someone's hands. I am still cynical about man being the responsible party because of that. In any case, mankind will have to adapt as it has in the past.

o
RE: Hobbit warming hits home! Making me a

True, Europeans of the Dark Ages survived and adapted to the Black Plague by losing as much as a third of its population. Maybe we can adapt the same way by losing 3 billion of our 9 billion population in a generation. Sure way to cut down on fossil fuel usage and limit further destruction of tropical forests (unless they burn up from uncontrolled wildfires.)

Maybe solve the unemployment problem as well while getting rid of so many of the 99-percenters too. The 1-percenters will make out just fine, thank you.

o

Indeed, adaptation can be very harsh.

o

Survival of the fittest!!

o

It was 104 today. It will be 104 tomorrow as well. This has been the hottest week and a half in my area's history. My Dad had to bring his bird dog in and soak him in a cold tub of water to bring his temperature down. My Husky and Elkhound will not step outside for more than 30 seconds at a time. All of this comes after our warmest winter on record. I may move to Northern Minnesota.

I will stop babbling now.

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 19:45

I really do not think that "some" people have given this a lot of thought .... survival that is, since many of them have grown up with the "conveniences" of the fossil fuel age. We will see who is pumping their fist hollering "survival of the fittest" when reality hit home, as in their loved ones/children.

"culling of the herd"

o

Agree OM! And many, many of them are the very poorest of the poor. Hopefully, "some" people are formulating a strategy to care for those people when the time comes.

o

house full they do plan on helping the poor when time comes they will make sure the poor have no access to food stores or safe and secure bunkers.
the poor will survive only if they eat any thing or any one since the poor in big cities don't have guns or supply's but the they do taste like beef if cooked correctly.

o

Beef???? Not like pork? (or lamb, if so religious dis-inclined to accept pork) What about all those vegetarians in South Asia?

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 22:30

"safe and secure bunkers"

Giggle

o

Thanks for the laughs before I turn in.

o

The whiner is back . It's way after midnight and still in the 80's here. At 9 when I walked the dogs, it was near 90!, Heat index tomorrow will be 110!!. It will break the existing record. Fun times. NOT!!

o

Supposed to get another taste of the heat wave today, the last week has been mild compared to what most of y'all are coping with. I'll take it if it produces some rain for the crops.

o

Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 7:01

I will bring the cheese to go along with our "whine" Lily ... our average summer temps are 82, today will be another scorcher with temps near 100 and heat index ??

Cold front coming ... storms and hopefully a relief from the heat.

o

102 in Powell yesterday.

I mowed the lawn, washed both cars (in garage), installed some landscape lights (NO, not solar; LED) and helped the neighbor move some mulch from his driveway to the backyard playground.

I love it hot! Give me more! I'll be Pecan colored soon.

We won't be eating any cukes this season. The deer seem to like the leaves. Bow season can't come soon enough. All I have left are vines with blossoms and a few cukes getting scorched by the intense sunshine.

o

We're finally getting a break from the heat. Last night the temperature dropped over 30 degrees in the few hours we were out - from 98 to 67. Much needed rain, torrential in some areas, fell. Some roads were steaming from the rain hitting the hot, hot blacktop.

o

The local corn and soybean fields look scorched and stressed... we need rain and a reprieve from this heat so bad... parts of my own stock are scorched and stressed from heat... moisture is not the issue.

In spite of slathering myself with every known SPF and skin care product, I still am covered in blisters from lupus... but the work has to be done. There's no way around it. I try to work a little at a time, hydrate, and then come in to rest at intervals.

I think it's going to be a harsh year for farmers... I only hope there's enough feed to put up for everyone over winter.

We keep the cooling on economy, and try to save as much as we can... and even so, going from in to out is like hitting a wall made of hot bricks. It's never been quite like this as far back as I can recall.

Having lived in a second story flat for a time, without a cooling system, I can empathize with those suffering. Today, I couldn't do it... I've weakened far too much. I'm glad public buildings in many areas open their doors to a public that can't physically deal with this heat.

I haven't seen the news within the past couple of days, but I hope the west can gain control of fires...

o

guess the ordinal poster never heard of the 1950's Texas drought it lasted 7 years.

2 years is nothing compared to that 7 years no rain at all.

o

It's officially 103 here. I have lived every day of my life in PA except when I was on vacation, and I can say we have never had weather like this. Every so often we have hit 100 but maybe eight years will go by till it happens again. For the past two weeks we have been in the upper 90's and a few 100's and this is unprecedented. Not a drop of rain has fallen in a month and every tree, bush and flower/veggie garden is severely stressed and drooping or dead. The poor birds are sitting with their mouths open. I need to go out now and water and fill more birdbaths while husband goes and waters the community garden. This is HELL!!

o

We had a record of 122 on June 29, 1990. This week we had below average mid-90's. It was heaven!

o

And don't give me the BS that it's the humidity not the heat. That's so wrong. It's unbearable out there, not livable, and YET the humidity is in the 40%.

o

Weather is great because we can pick any day of any year as an example of how much worse or better the weather was then. I love to use averages too. Our average summer temperatures are sometimes lower than our winter ones, if I can chose the days.

o

We've been having beautiful summer weather in lake country - warm sunny days in the 80s, cool nights in the 50s/60s and beautiful breezes on the lakes.

Perfect weather for boating, waterskiing, tubing, sailing, fishing, camping, motorcycling, the beaches etc.

Yesterday we helped a new tenant move from a 3rd story attic apartment. They obviously weren't accustomed to heavy lifting and climbing stairs repeatedly in 90 plus degree temperatures as they nearly passed out. My daughters and I made quick work of the move.

I'm used to working hard and playing harder in extreme heat and cold, so I'm well conditioned to temperature extremes.

When I come out of some attics and commercial crawl spaces in the summer when doing A/C work, 90 plus degree outside temperatures feel extremely cool.

o

Except that warm sunny days in the 80's aren't extreme. Even the soda-gulpers can handle that.

o

Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 18:24

This is a good example of opinions set in mud ... those who believe this is just another day unlike any other and those who accept climate change.

If the country burned from west coast to east coast and every drop of water dried up the deniers would claim tis just a normal cycle, nothing to see.

98 with a heat index of 105 ... with just a fan for cooling (pushing hot air around) I am having trouble keeping hydrated, think I drank a lake this week.

o

When some of our relatives "sweat like pigs (in their words) in their uninsulated/unventilated/unshaded apartments, they crank up their window/ceiling fans, crank up their window unit air conditioners or head to the beaches, lakes, pools, woods or air conditioned stores restaurants etc.

They'll also remain more sedentary and drink more fluids.

The temperature differential between the paved, concrete unshaded cities and lake/mountain areas a relatively short distance away is often quite large.

Last week I while fishing on the lake, it was 52 degrees on the water and 94 degrees in one of our cousin's city apartments about 15 minutes away.

Due to lake effect cooling, moving over the water @ XX MPH and boat spray, the temps feel much cooler.

o

One thing that's important for dealing with heat is how you handle in mentally.

Heat doesn't effect me much, but we have many friends and relatives that have extremely short temperatures when it's hot and humid.

Heat seems to amplify one's negative traits...

o

Short Tempers that is...

o

I can agree with that, Markjames. Supposedly, violent crime goes up as well.

o

Indeed, it was hot and stuffy at my place today and when we got to the shore it was a good 10 degrees cooler, and then in the seawater at whatever it is now on the south shore of the cape and islands, 68 degrees or so, heat is no longer an issue.....

o

106 in Mexican Town (Detroit) today. Yes, I know, I get around. There was no lake effect cooling! The lake breeze was hot and humid.

We took Route 23 home and noticed about 5 water reels watering crops like cabbage, tomatoes and beans. I think they belong to Heinz or Hunt's.

The apple crops are withering fast.

o

There really won't be an apple crop in Michigan this year. It was about 90% lost to freezes in April. Michigan's very important tart cherry crop was estimated to be a 99% loss. Other tree fruits and grapes fell somewhere in between 90% and 99%.

Now other Michigan farmers are facing heat, and those especially in the S.W. side of the L.P. are facing extreme drought, while the rest face moderate drought. Corn and soy will not do well in these conditions.

Expect high food inflation in the very near future.

o

Perfect day up here--topped out at 75F with a breeze and sunny skies. 2" of rain during the night, but no hail, thank goodness.

Hopefully this weather will head east as it usually does, for all you easterners who are suffering so.

o

I believe that the East has been getting my west central IL weather. Today it reached 106.

o

We topped at 103, had a brief thunderstorm , little rain and it's now 77 and humid which it wasn't before the storm. Power outages which scare me to death . Some people still don't have power from the storm eight days ago. How could you live w/o power in these horrific temps? Some don't , many died. Another front will go by tomorrow, no rain but it will go to normal temps in the 80's. No rain in sight.

o

An eight day power outage? In the US?

The death toll will likely be much higher by the end of the summer.

Got rid of my A/C Maddie ... running on one fan, saw some really cool solar generators online.

Ohiomom--good thing actually. Running it on-grid what a waste of resources, not only your own.

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 6:21

Corn and soybeans crops in Ohio have taken a hit, the loss could be in the billions according to the Ohio Farm Bureau.

Don't worry, be happy :)

o

It is in fact a testament to just how amazing those midwestern soils are that crops can stand so many weeks in 100 degree plus temps without rain and not be fried to crisp. Here in my sandy soil with its very low CEC and moisture holding capacity a couple days of 100 degrees and my summer crops would be done.

It's a darn lucky thing that temps very rarely pass 90 here.

o

I'm guessing most deaths will be poor people who have been relying on the goverment for care.

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 7:22

Actually the 3 people who died here in Ohio had lost their electricity due to the severe storms that hit last week, they were all elderly, not because they "relied on the government for their care".

SMH

o

How do you know?

o

The corn in Ohio looks good. It's about 5' tall and dark green. At least what I saw during my trips back and forth.

In the Columbus area, there are many old trees intermingled with power lines. Those old trees go down and take the power with them. A 7 to 10 day wait is reasonable, considering millions of feet of power lines need replaced, along with transformers and power poles in older neighborhoods.

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 7:36

I'm guessing most deaths will be poor people who have been relying on the goverment for care

How do you know?

o

I don't; I was guessing, just like I stated.

o

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's heat wave has turned deadly, a coroner said Friday as he blamed excessive temperatures for the deaths of three people found alone in their homes earlier this week. The state Health Department urged people to check on friends and family.

A man in his 70s was found dead Monday in the city of Newark, about 40 miles east of Columbus, and two women -- one in her late 60s, the other in her 80s -- were found Tuesday in rural parts of the county, said Dr. Jeff Lee, Licking County deputy coroner.

He said all three were suffering from heart disease but died from stress caused by high temperatures in their houses. Temperatures inside were stifling, recorded in the 90s in two cases, with windows shut and no ventilation. The houses lacked electricity because of the recent power outages.

"The reason why these people died is because they were all in their homes with all the windows and doors shut, with no ventilation, and with no electricity, they couldn't run fans," Lee said.

"If they had gotten cooling, we would have expected them to survive," he said.

o

With so many unhealthy citizens, I'm surprised heat isn't a contributing factor in more deaths.

Medical examiner: Heat-related deaths rise to 10

There have been 10 confirmed deaths related to the heat wave that assailed the Chicago area this week, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Autopsies conducted today determined that four additional people had succumbed to this week's heat, according to the office.

Saturday night the medical examiner's office said six more cases are being investigated to see if the deaths had any connection to the heat, with autopsies expected Sunday.

In the latest confirmed cases, heat stroke was the primary cause of death for a 46-year-old woman and an unidentified man in his 30s, according to the office.

Linda Figgures of the 6600 block of South Damen Avenue in the West Englewood neighborhood was pronounced dead at 11:57 p.m. Friday at Holy Cross Hospital. The autopsy found that while heat stroke was the primary factor in her death, they listed obesity as a contributing cause.

The unidentified man was discovered on the 0 to 100 block of South Cicero Avenue in the West Garfield Park neighborhood and was pronounced dead at Loretto Hospital at 9 p.m. Friday, according to the office. The office listed heat stroke as the only cause of death.

In addition to these, heat stress played a role in the death of Pamela Dairyko, 65, of the 4900 block of West Fullerton Avenue in the Cragin neighborhood, according to the office. Heart disease was listed as the primary cause of death and heat stress was listed as a contributing cause along with a history of drug abuse.

Mark Logerquist, 53, of the 1500 block of North Pulaski Road in the West Humboldt Park neighborhood, was pronounced dead at 1:24 p.m. Friday at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center. An autopsy also listed heart disease as the primary cause of his death and heat stress was listed as a contributing factor, according to the office.

The four victims added to the list Friday were:

Carmen Mercado, 81, found unresponsive Thursday by her daughter in her apartment in the 2000 block of West Superior Street. Heart disease was listed as a primary cause of death, with heat stress as a contributing factor.

Pat Wong, 91, found dead Thursday in the 4200 block of North Winchester Avenue. The primary cause of death was heart disease, and secondary causes were diabetes and heat stress.

Frank Proczek, 58, found unresponsive Thursday in the 5000 block of South Western Avenue. Heart disease was the primary cause of death, and chronic alcoholism and heat stress were listed as secondary causes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Medical examiner: Heat-related deaths rise to 10

o

On a more positive note, my little corn patch, doing ok on no rain in poor soil, the amazing ability of maize to grow on dew and some dehydrated chicken manure in accordance with the dictum that fertility is the best drought-hedge:

Photobucket

o

Reports elsewhere this morning that the drought in Texas killed at least 5.5 million trees in urban areas.

The heat wave in France a few years ago killed 10,000. But hey, they were socialists depending on the gub'mint, of course. Not old people living in their own homes or apartments staying away from state services, living independenly and free. Because that doesn't fit the narrative.

Our heat wave broke, and we're back to normal temps for this time of year - 55-85.

o

Leave it to the liberals to compare people to plants. :(

o

Get ready for another Dust Bowl... because it's coming.

o

Haha, I already live in a dust bowl!

o

Many of the people who died keep their windows closed because of fear of invasion and can't afford to run their ACs or fans if they have them because if the high cost of their electric bills.And many were without power for eight days. .

Leave it to the wingnut to suggest they were poor people relying on the government to take care of them. Where's your so called Christian empathy? I had tears in my eyes listening to the stories of these poor people and I'm not a churchgoer.

o

Leave it to the wingnut to suggest they were poor people relying on the government to take care of them. Where's your so called Christian empathy? I had tears in my eyes listening to the stories of these poor people and I'm not a churchgoer.

What makes you think I have no empathy?

o

Reread your own postings here and on other threads, or perhaps I misinterpret your pov.

o

With Maize, drought resistance depends on the various phases of the growth cycle. There are a couple of crops which are able to go into actual drought dormancy, Amaranth for instance. Not that I think I'm telling you something new, jes spreading info for the non-farmers here...

Reports elsewhere this morning that the drought in Texas killed at least 5.5 million trees in urban areas.

The heat wave in France a few years ago killed 10,000. But hey, they were socialists depending on the gub'mint, of course. Not old people living in their own homes or apartments staying away from state services, living independenly and free. Because that doesn't fit the narrative.

Our heat wave broke, and we're back to normal temps for this time of year - 55-85.

Add to it the alarming depletion of groundwater levels due to the enormous water wasting going on. Things will get way worse.

Yes, the French were in no way prepared for this. And the power outages (esp in Paris) didn't help. Is what you get when you privatize energy supply.

Yay! on the temps being down again.

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 12:55

"pick and choose"

Leave it to the liberals to compare people to plants. :(

And then of course we have David's "entire" paragraph.

The heat wave in France a few years ago killed 10,000 trees. But hey, they were socialists depending on the gub'mint, of course. Not old people living in their own homes or apartments staying away from state services, living independenly and free. Because that doesn't fit the narrative.

o

I can't imagine the water waste going on nationwide. I feel guilty trying to save my stock with economic soaker hoses at night, used right at the root zone. The green lawn is already dead or dormant... we won't waste water or money on that.

o

perhaps I misinterpret your pov

Perhaps you do.

o

Those millions of dead trees in Texas make me heartsick. Add to that the thousands knocked down in last weeks storm. We desperately need trees, and some here are being affected negatively by these out of whack temps.

o

I guess that 10,000 dead people died in the
French heat wave isn't common knowledge.

o

David, it may be that 2003 is already light years away.

25,000 deaths in the Japanese tsunami of 2011 or the 220,000 guestimate in the Indonesian tsunami of 2004 don't get much mention anymore.

A current "disaster" of any magnitude and of any type pushes historical memory way back in that place in the brain reserved for those things, or at least so it seems.

"This sky, too, is folding under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue."

o

Shedding tears for those in misery and suffering won't help. You'll have to get up, go out, and do something significant to help them.

Crying won't help!

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 14:16

Crying won't help ... neither will blaming the victims of extreme weather.

In the 1930's over 5,000 people died during the dustbowl years, I doubt it was because they were poor and relied on the government to take care of them.

Sorry David, I misquoted you :)

o

I wonder if there is a study that encompasses sea level rise, post-glacial rebound, weight of bodies of water, plate tectonics, earthquake activity, earth's tilt change, gravitational influence of the moon and how these events interact and affect the geosphere. Of course we are overdue for Yellowstone to let go so unless we are safely space bound and observing from there with a long time frame to evaluate our blip in time here will be totally irrelevant.

o

Haven't ready much about the Yellowstone Super Volcano for a long time - last thing was satellite images finding the reaches of the caldera; the whole of the park is one massive reservoir of magma. Holy cataclysm, Batman! Those of us left with the countless cubic tons of ash blocking the sun will know nuclear winter.

o

That was the last I saw or heard of it, too... I can't remember if I saw it in a documentary, or read about it in an article, but I never before knew that Yellowstone was once a giant volcano. That's some scary stuff, right there! We, as a species, could very possibly be wiped out by something like that. Every species on the planet could.

o

Victims of heat? Who do we prosecute? :)

o

I'm sorry that other parts of the country and world are experiencing such heat, drought, or challenging weather. Knock on wood, I feel a little guilty saying that we are having absolutely delightful summer weather this year so far here in Massachusetts. Summer in New England can be fabulous (it can also be cool and rainy).

In fact the next week is projected to be sunny, dry, 80's day, low 60's night temps. Perfect summer weather, with warm days and cool nights that are great for sleeping. Although for me a nice shower or two for the garden would really make it perfect!!

The winter was dry, but overall we've had pretty good rain this growing season and the landscape is green and lush.

o

I'm sure the power companies - Pepco, BG&E, et al are hearing about it big time.

I remember heading back to Minnesota from Maryland after Hurricane Isabel - nothing but convoys of utility trucks heading East. This time no one had spare crews to help other jurisdictions since a wide swath of the country is/was in the same sweltering powerless boat.

I feel sorry for people in heat distress - I spent 33 summers in Metro DC, but 99.9% of the time with power. The heat there can literally suck your breath away at times.

Summers up here border on the perfect - 70's and occasionally 80's with 50's and 60's at night. Adequate rain, too. Most winters provide a good insulating snow cover.

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 19:49

.....beat me with a wet noodle, victim is probly' the wrong terminology. Lets beat up on the elderly instead who made poor choices and paid for them with their deaths.

Better?

o

Yes, OM, "elderly" sounds appropriate. How negligent of their neighbors to not look in on them. That's just horrible; to be alone like that.

o

Here is an interesting blog concerning our local weather conditions. It seems we are having only a severe drought rather than an extreme or exceptional one.

In another section, it shows the highest recorded temp in the state was 116oF back in 1937. Glad I didn't have to deal with that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather blog

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 21:18

Be glad sleepless, because during that warm period over 5,000 people died ... maybe less died this time because there is a social safety net? "If" we were to have another dust bowl I imagine the loss of life would not be as great.

Just guessing ... :)

o

Kate, I live close enough to the red zone of the Yellowstone super volcano that if it blows in my lifetime, I will not survive long enough to worry about how darn hot that volcano is! I take comfort in that, I believe it it happens it would be the eventual end of human life on this continent, probably the world, with about as many long term survivors as there were surviving dinosaurs after whatever catastrophic evet hit them - which wasn't enough to count as I recall ;)

(Which is why it's so necessary to fund the exploration of outer space and find ourselves a nice little compatible planet to seed with human life - even if we don't off ourselves, something other catastrophic event most certainly will eventually end mankind on this earth - the history of our world is proof of that eventuality)

Lily, if you are reading this, I hope you will go to "conversations" and start a thread on your koi and tell us how they fare as this hot summer continues, I wonder about them all the time but hesitate to start a thread here asking about them and I don't know if you ever go over to "conversations".

Last week we had a day that hit 69. The last three days have been 100 - tomorrow is feared to reach 104 - the next five days will be at least triple digits with two 103-104 days. I will be up at daybreak with my hose, watering everything every single day - we have so little humidity that this sort of heat demands at least one soaking a day, with my planted pots and flower window boxes, twice a day or they will cook away.

Not considered actually abnormal temps for July here though, really. It's been a handful of years ago now where we had a string of triple digit days (once it was ten in a row) and though 104 is real hot here, there was a time when we hit 109 twice in a weeks - which was a killer week, to be sure. But it's not considered actually abnormal - we have been spared triple digit temps for a few years and got spoiled. It will be interesting to see how long the hot summer days will last though.

I see a trend since we moved here where the hotter days continue for longer and longer time periods, into November sometimes.

Certainly our wildfire fire season is longer now. It has increased by 60+ days since we moved here in 1993. That is official data from the Fire Weather guys - it now typically lasts 60+ days longer than it did in 1993. That makes for an extraordinarily long fire season. I find that length of days very disturbing.

o

Thanks for asking about the koi, mylab. I don't go to conversations very often. I just went over and feel very intimidated. My poetry writing days ended in college. But I enjoyed reading the offerings.

I just went out and checked on the big pond. I'm worried about the whole situation since I heard the Susquehanna river is 92 degrees, and I read the fish are dying by the thousands in overheated rivers . I try to keep the water temp below 80. It's around 78 now. The waterfall has almost stopped even though husband cleaned the filter today. Yesterday he did it twice. The UV filter is running okay and I turned on the well water and am adding some now. I have too many inches of fish per gallons of water. They poop a lot and other debris cloggs the filter. My daughter's pond's waterfall gushes all the time as ours does when he changes it but it quickly slows down. Her pond isn't clear like mine is though. I can see a small pebble on the bottom. Husband goes to work before the sun is up ,so he won't be changing it till he gets home. Like I said before, ponds aren't worth the worry and trouble.

o

Elvis,

It's even worse that their children or other family members aren't looking after them!

They are victims of abuse, neglect or abandonment, not heat.

o

We actually lucked out yesterday, and had a brief storm pass through, dumping a meager 1/4 inch of rain. I'm not complaining, though... we certainly needed it! Now, today will either be hot and humid, or perhaps the cloud cover will continue for a bit, keeping things a bit cooler. Time will tell.

Usually, out storms roll in from the west... this one came from the north, which was a little odd.

o

Not a drop here other than in the temperature and we are back to a normal summer. However, it looks like a long dry stretch so on with the watering program that usually kicks in at this point...

o

Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 6:47

We had a small amount of rain the night before last, the front also came from the north .... my understanding is the jet stream is north of us (Canada) instead of in the lower 48.

Temps are much cooler .. yesterday was a perfect summer day and today looks to be the same.

Brush sometimes the elderly outlive their family members, I have known more than one, my understanding is the ladies lived in rural areas and their neighbors found them. The man was found by his home health care worker.

o

PS mylab - I'm not Kate.

o

Who do we prosectue

Looks like in France's case, it was the governments fault. That's what socialized medicine will getcha.

o

HOOT!!!!!

o

That's a good book, Marshallz! My kids really enjoyed it.

o

I'm not sure I get how global warming and universal health care fit hand in hand, and if one doesn't work it's the other one's fault...

o

Exactly; that's how she wrote!

o

Last week I kept hearing the heat wave described as "the", definite article, heat wave of summer 2012, as if it would be the only one. This morning I heard the forecast for the rest of the week. 102 is predicted for later in the week, and 90's before that. It's only the beginning of July.

I read the following interview with climate scientist Michael Mann this morning. He is calling climate controversy as "the new McCarthyism".

The stakes are pretty high.

"(The "Hockey Stick" in the title of Mann�s book refers to the graph plotting global temperature going back more than a thousand years and showing a sudden upward turn, at almost a right angle, soon after the year 1900 � like the right angle forming the blade at the end of a hockey stick; it is part of the fundamental proof of global warming being well under way already and triggered by the excess burning of fossil fuels since the beginning of the industrial revolution.)"

"MICHAEL MANN INTERVIEW PART 1 (OF 5)

Some of Mann�s main points and charges in Part 1 include:

� "New McCarthyism" in US legislature directed at US climate scientists; details

� Death threats, dead rats, scientists� families threatened.

� Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., campaign has aimed to discredit climate scientists�

� Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, misrepresented Mann�s science

� National Science Foundation and other panels have cleared Mann

� Koch Brothers, Scaife Foundation, involved in fossil fuel efforts to discredit the climate science

� Organized email and letter campaigns have intimidated and silenced climate scientists; details

� Believes intimidation campaigns will fail if "exposed to the light of day"

Here is a link that might be useful: new mccarthyism

o

That's not how I wrote it.

o

Disinformion campaign has been going on for years now, get with the program. Republicons could have coconuts growing out their arses and they'd still be blabbering 'bout cycles and sunspots and other weird sh/t till the cows come home.

o

And only to perpetuate the greed and plundering of this, our only habitable planet. Whether it's to make themselves feel less guilty, or to try and hide the truth, I'm not sure. Maybe it's a bit of both. But Mann is saying the same thing I've said... it makes such total, logical sense... since the industrial revolution, our atmosphere has been filling up with pollutants, and our waters and grounds have been fouled. Humankind has invented things and used them without thinking of the eventual consequences.

It's beginning, unfortunately, to look like we've passed that tipping point where even if we were to stop it all now, we might not be able to regain that which we have lost. I don't know.

I have grandchildren, though... and I'd really like to leave this world knowing they have a fighting chance.

o

Republicons could have coconuts growing out their arses and they'd still be blabbering 'bout cycles and sunspots and other weird sh/t till the cows come home.

Well, have no fear. With rapidly change science and technology, I am sure there will be another habitable planet available for the libs in no time.

o

Good, then, we get to leave the conservatards here!

o

I grow weary of this world.

o

Houseful, your post was probably tongue-in-cheek but mine is not.
I suspect there are many habitable planets out there (probably already inhabited) and we would be unwelcome. Probably would kill them with our viruses as Europeans did to our natives.
If we don't change our ways, we'll make this tiny globe uninhabitable long before we can achieve faster than light speeds.

o

Garog and Muborg
by Don Case on Friday, April 22, 2011

Gorog grumbled as she turned back to the viewer and
read the instruments. "Why do we let these creatures
continue with these activities?" she asked. "They need
learn by their own cognizance." replied Muborg. "You
know we must not interfere. The measure of validity is
completely related to the capacity to comprehend the
maintenance of existence. If they die out by using their
environment we wait a few thousand years for the next
species and monitor them, hoping for improvement."

Gorog, still visibly upset muttered "I had so much hope
that this species would understand the connection of
all entities and mater, guess we will have to monitor for
another millennium. It gets so tedious, some of them
actually had it right."

o

Duluth, well - of *course* you aren't Kate *ROTFL*!!

I do apologize for the silly error but please take note that I did place the both of you in excellent, esteemed company! :)

It hit 108 today, a new record high for this date, 4 degrees higher than predicted, and their prediction was bad enough. Triple digits expected for the rest of the week, no relief in sight.

Oh well, I know now that our new heater/air conditioner we HAD to spring for this early Spring works like a charm! At least there is that, the air conditioner ran and the house easily remained very comfortable, very cool despite 108 degree heat outside.

Now that I have given it a test run on an unbearably hot day, I need to bump back up the thermostat and use it as sparingly as possible but still remain reasonably comfortable. But, I don't wanna ;)

I was out for nearly two hours watering everything very deeply by hand with the hose today - by 9:30am I was miserable, the sun was harsh and blinding, my sun block was running.

I put shallow dishes of water in shady corners all around the house, the birds were following me because of the water hose - it's also extremely dry out there - EXTREMELY so.

Our bird fountain broke (worn out after twelve good years and the concrete cracked badly so it will not hold water for long) and I have not replaced it, so clear shallow old glass pie plates of water went out, refilled several times a day with my hose - it's so necessary for any thirsty creatures from the air or from the ground who are in need of hydration when it's as hot and dry as this.

Sending best wishes that your koi remain healthy - and all this heat finally fades so you can just enjoy them for a change, Lily.

About Conversations - I am not an artist. I am a great audience though, and though I don't contribute I always deeply appreciate the efforts of those who do - I think there is a place for people like me in Conversations :)

o

Posted by steve2416 z7 NC (My Page) on Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 17:42

"I suspect there are many habitable planets out there (probably already inhabited) and we would be unwelcome. Probably would kill them with our viruses as Europeans did to our natives."

Except for syphilis. That was arguably a gift from the natives.

o

At 108F, birds can die in flight. When we have a bad spell of santa ana and sundowner winds (very high temps and single digit humidities), I sometimes put our low-flow sprinklers or mister heads to lower temps and up humidity. The hummingbirds love the misters, zipping in and out of the "fog".

o

I'm sure that there existed syphilis in England, the country the pilgrims fled, wasn't there Elvis?

It seems an old King died insane, the result of syphilis, although to be honest I can't remember who that King was and my laptop is giving me fits tonight and can't stay online long enough to try to source it.

If you could provide a link , though I usually don't follow them, if this laptop stays running long enough I would follow yours, it would be interesting to read that link, I've never heard that before!

o

Henry VIII, although I think it was more rumor than fact.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here