Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apps? Do you have them? I have great abs

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 6:27

but have to admit to no apps. So tell me what you have and why you do...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apps? Do you have them? I have great abs

You mean as in Iphone Applications? I don't even have an Iphone or Ipad, so no Apps.

As for abs... they could use a little core strengthening, but I'm extremely happy with the way I'm aging... which is very slowly. :-)

o

Yes, those kind of apps. As for aging, I don't believe in it...

o

I have some but don't use them much. Luckily I either got them for free or bought them on sale for 99 cents (the Audubon folks put a bunch on theirs on sale).

o

I must not have any--since I don't have any idea what you are talking about. : )

Kate

o

I don't have any apps.

My core is strong from free weight training, resistance training, powerlifting and sports.

o

I still have a slide-open phone with an actual keypad. My kids, however, have some really funny apps. I was able to get my palm read the other day.

o

I have three apps as of last week and I've had a Iphone for almost two and a half years. Who has time for all of that stuff?

My younger daughter put Angry Birds on, Weatherbug so I can get severe weather reports, and last week older daughter was here and installed a free app for Emoticons--little animals and holiday symbols and such when I text.

That's it.

I don't use my cell phone for chatting, because I am driving or out and about running errands and try to avoid talking when I'm in stores, etc. as it is distracting and rude in some situations. I like to do things the old fashioned way so I can compare prices without an "app" and I prefer to select paint colors without an "app." I also do not want anymore personal information shared about myself to vendors and the phone company than necessary.

Does anyone recommend any apps?

Oh, I have strong abs, great legs, and the skin of a woman half my age.

;)

o

The only two apps that I reliably use (and that is only when I am not at home) is the Weather one (to check for thunderstorms) and the Gas Buddy one (to check for good gas prices in an unfamiliar area).

I also have SoundHound and my daughter uses that on my phone to identify a song on the radio.

I do have about 4 Audubon apps but have not used them so far. I also have the LeafSnap app but have not found it to be very useful due to lack of data on their end.

o

You get apps for Android phones as well. My favorite is the one that shows where you are and directs you with arrows to where you want to go...amazing. I have an app for searching for businsses and resturants etc and a ton of others I have no idea how to use. Otherwise I barely know how to answer this phone-it is too complicated. I do occasionally watch utube videos since that is why I have it in the first place but I have to sit outside on the patio.

o

I'm not big on aging, either... but somebody has to do it! ;-)

Honestly, I don't use my cell phone enough to update it to a more expensive model that does all sorts of stuff. I'm fine with with the tower computer that my husband built for me. This is plenty. It does exactly what I need it to do, and I can't carry it around and lose focus of my surroundings while using it, leading to a possible accident.

This is as technological as I need to be.

o

Are there apps that can tell you how to differentiate between opossum and raccoon scat? It would be handy to make the determination in situ. I need to discourage the marauding four-legged wild life.

o

Does this look familiar, nancy?

Here is a link that might be useful: Who needs an ap when you've got Google

o

I have a Kindle app on my I phone & I tunes I can either read or listen to music when I'm on the subway

o

I'm not sure what an app is as I have a Tracfone for a cell phone. It costs me about $7 a month and I will never use up all my minutes as I have to add 120 minutes every 3 months. I only use my cell to call someone when I am not at home. Hardly anyone has my cell number as it is always turned off unless I'm using it to call when I am away.

And, for some odd reason, my life is rich and full. Even without all the technology that supposedly is necessary for us to live a full life. Besides, I can't afford all that crap. Or maybe it's: I'd rather spend my money on other things that enhance my life - like travel, good food, etc. Or donate it to charity.

Demi, I agree with you. The fewer people/organizations/companies/agencies that have information on me, the better.

o

Thanks, DIB. I've already done a Google search, and nothing quite matched what I have been finding in the yard. I think I've narrowed it down to ransacking opossums (the squirrel scat looked familiar, but in a different location) but would like better confirmation. I guess I could put together a notebook of images as I did for local butterflies and hummingbirds. Ugh!

o

Ok for those that don't know what an "app" is: it is an abbreviation for "application" and it is a piece of software that you can download to a smart phone or a tablet device (like an iPad). It is standalone from a browser but in some ways it can act like a browser. For example, on your computer if you use Facebook you use it from a website (www.facebook.com); on your smart phone you download a Facebook application and you use that to access Facebook.

Many places give you an "app" for free - I believe the Facebook app is free. Other ones cost money. For example, I have apps for Audubon Trees and Birds - these are like digitized versions of the books with a bit more functionality. They normally cost anywhere from $4.99 and up; they occasionally go on sale. I think you can even get alerts for sales on common apps so that you can take advantage of sales.

As many of you many have already heard, there's a saying "There's an app for that!". That is usually expressed after someone says "I wish there was a way for me to find a good restaurant near me ....".

There are a lot of very useful apps out there to try; however for us non-Mac people you have to have an iTunes account to get them and that can be frustrating. I usually get one of my kids to take my phone and handle it!

o

I have lots of apps on my Android phone.
The navigation is free and awesome.
I use the Yelp app to find restaurants and things to do when I am out of town.
I use the maps quite a bit.
I have the Kindle app so that I can read my book even when I don't have my Kindle with me.
I have several games that can keep me amused when I am waiting for people.
The weather app helps me plan and I can also see at a glance what the weather is like where my kids are living.
Of course being able to search Google wherever and whenver I want is awesome.

I also have abs, due to crunches and hula hooping.

o
RE: re: Apps? Do you have them? I have great abs

I forgot to mention, ALL of my apps were FREE!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 17:25

A computer illiterate here, thought apps was just a nickname for bookmarks. Click here and you're there.

o

No, they are their own software - specially crafted to work with tiny screens and people on the go.

o

I have a pretty cool constellation app. You point it to the sky at night and it tells you what constellations are up there.

o

My husband has a gazillion downloaded to our iPad. I have yet to use one. But he's obsessed. I'll have to ask him what some of his favorites are. ..As for ABs, mine are pretty good for my age. And at every HS reunion, I get the award for the smallest waist.

o

Lily, they actually give an award at high school reunions for smallest waist?

What happened to feminism and the eradication of judging women on their figures and looks?

;)

o

"Are there apps that can tell you how to differentiate between opossum and raccoon scat?"

I'm not sure it's an ap, but I think if you urinate around the edges of the affected area, or 'your territory', the critters should leave you alone. ;-)

Actually, I notice a lot of cats use my garden area as a litter box... are you sure it's not neighborhood cats?

o

Demi..yes they do as old school as it sounds. I have nothing to do with the program. In fact I'm not going to the next one. They give one for the guy with the biggest waist too, least amount of hair and all that schtick.

o

Well, congratulations on having the smallest waist!

;)

o

• Posted by sweeby Gulf Coast TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 16:18

I only joined the Smartphone crowd a few days ago (Android), but have downloaded apps to allow me to view and support my client's computers from my cell phone (when I'm out of the office playing hooky) and to view and/or edit key Excel files I need to run my business.

I love the free Google Maps app and have used it to help me navigate -- just love the little arrows that show where you are and where you're going.

And I have not yet been able to hook up my main email to my cell phone, but suspect that's a 'me' problem...

As for abs. Well, that's also a 'me' problem! ;-)

o

I have about 800 to 900 apps on my phone and on my tablet. I use quite a few of them actually. Why do you want to know? These have actually replace my computer for communications for the most part.

The app I've not been able to find though is like tap and talk app for this forum.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 7:42

DGF is the one who has to have the latest in tech toys, with who knows how many apps, or whatever. I have a regular cellphone, no online use. My computer (not a laptop) at home here gets lots of use, but frankly I can't be bothered with pads, pods, and the incessant online connections 24/7. No facebook, just internet and mail. Skype to talk to the kids and family so very far away. That's it.
Abs could use some work, no doubt about it! But really, a prize for smallest waist? Yikes!!

o

Frank, I've been looking for a constellation app. Do you mind sharing which one you have that you like? Thanks

o

"I have a pretty cool constellation app. You point it to the sky at night and it tells you what constellations are up there."

Now, that would be pretty cool! I'd enjoy something like that. When I take the dog out for her final business of the evening, I often stand there, looking up at the sky, trying to identify the various stars and constellations, and looking for any shooting stars or whatnot.

Many apps, though, I'd find useless. We already have the technology we need, and the knowledge to use it or build more.

Just yesterday, while I waited in line at a gas station, a guy ahead of me couldn't stop messing with his smart phone. I'd prefer not to be quite that connected or reliant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here