Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Take Paterno's statue down now!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 6:29

He has already been removed from Brown's hall of fame for his performance as a quarterback while attending. The more we learn the more we realize what a disgrace he was and on this matter their can surely be no disagreement...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Take Paterno's statue down now!

Leave his family be. Enough. He's dead, so that should make you happy enough.

His hidden, reprehensible actions changed his legacy. Enough.

o

Elly,

Why do you insinuate that his death makes anyone happy? He wasn't killed by anyone, he died from cancer. Just because someone dies, it shouldn't exclude their legacy from justice.

We shouldn't erect statues to any man. And if any man be found less than honorable after the fact, that statue should be taken down.

Why would give Joe a rest in peace and call for prosecution of the bishops involved in the church cover-up of pedophiles?

o

Take the statue down in honor of the abused children that are still alive.

Then the abused should and I have heard will sue his estate for every dime the courts can award.

o

I think I'd agree.

A large part of the reason Sandusky was able to continue to rape children was the culture of worshipping these football heros. I mean, let's face it. If McQueary had caught a janitor in the shower room raping a child, he wouldn't have left the scene. He wouldn't have been conflicted about what to do. He would have known the right thing to do is to stop it right then and there and call the police.

These statues are part of that worship. To leave these statues up sends the message that it is more important to be a football hero than to do the right thing.

Imagine being one of these victims, growing up and going to college one day, and being faced with the statue of one of the men who helped facilitate and cover up your sexual abuse as a child. See the school honouring this man. See the other students learning about how important and wonderful this man is. See them learn the subconscious message that this man is a hero (he has a statue!) so that must make you a trouble maker trying to tarnish his image.

Stop sending the message that sports figures are above the law or should be revered no matter what they do. Take the statue down.

o

Some think it should merely be moved somewhere else on campus. They shouldn't even have to ask themselves twice. Get rid of it!

I HOPE they sue and WIN!

o

Leave his family alone? Are you serious? What about the now men that were abused and their families? Just because he is dead it has to be left? Give me a break! What he did or actually didn't do was disgraceful. Having a statue to honor him is also disgraceful. Take it down.

o

It's a bronze so they can melt it down and reuse the metal for something else.

o

To the very end he put money ahead of what he knew he was responsible. That is why I feel the money should be taken away even if the abused have to sue his estate to get the money.

The only thing I think should be left is his wife benefits. She was not involved but any ill gotten financial gain Paterno received should be taken away.

The newspaper cited university records in saying Paterno first broached the idea of revisiting his contact in January, the same month he made a brief appearance before the grand jury, and some top university officials had also testified before the panel before the agreement was reached in August.

Paterno and the university reached agreement on the amended contract that eventually totaled $5.5 million in August.

- forgiveness of $250,000 in outstanding indebtedness and an additional $100,000 in loans.

- $3 million career bonus if Paterno retired at the end of the 2011 season

-access to a stadium box for his family for 25 years as well as parking privileges and access to on-campus hydrotherapy equipment for his wife.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paterno Contract

o

Maybe hire a sculpture guy to add a few abused kids to the statue, sitting around the base looking up in disgust.

o

Recycle it!

o

Take it down, the sooner the better. This non-negotiable. I hope the families sue and win.

o

Take the statue down immediately . Joe was not a god, he was at all times protecting his precious football program. He knew since 98 and probably before Sandusky was raping little boys in the showers. All three guys and Paterno if he hadn't died, should spend time in prison with old Jerry. They are all despicable men and the paper trail is so damning. There are at least 20 more guys in the wings and I hope they and the other ten sue the pants off the Paterno family, Penn State , Curley,Spanier and Schultz. Those little boys , now men, need some retribution after all the years of abuse while the poohbahs looked the other way. And while they're at it indict Dottie who certainly knew after her husband was diddling little boys in her basement for decades.

o

and We should not forget to add our Governor Tom Corbett to the lawsuit.

Corbett’s gubernatorial staff approved "yes, approved"a $3 million grant to Second Mile, the foundation for kids that, according to the grand jury, served as a repository for potential sex-abuse victims. Corbett knew about the grant and let it through last July for reasons that seem absurd.

Given the enormous extent of this scandal, with all its obfuscation and lack of action and conflict of interest and just plain stupidity, it’s no wonder that the ooze would eventually touch Corbett. Add him to the lengthening list of those who’ll have to scrub awfully hard to cleanse themselves of the stain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Corbett enabler

o

I think his involvement in this started way earlier: Corbett was State Attorney General back when Ray Gricar vanished.

o

Gricar's death undoubtedly was connected to the case whether murder or suicide. Corbett is a real questionable piece of work. I think he should be impeached. He put 12 people on the cases of convicting a few top Dems for improper conduct. He put ONE person on the Sandusky case because he didn't want it to break when he was running for Governor.

o

Suspend the football program for five years, at least, and remove the statue.

o

Boycott PA, period!

o

That's a little harsh, brush..lol

o

All the die hard alums can pool their money, buy the statue and install it somewhere else. Put the money into a settlement fund.

Something in my gut tells me no one's going to make the football scholarship kids suffer with the "Death Penalty" (extend their eligibilities, transfer the scholarships to other universities?). Should the Happy Vally businesses that rely on the sports programs suffer?.

A university should be a whole lot more than sports and should pay for doing and allowing something so excruciatingly harmful and stupid. I'm reaching the point however, where I can no longer clearly see what's fair punishment though.

o

A university ought to not be about sports at all. They serve as a feeder for professional ball-think of all the knee joints sacrificed in the name of all mighty football and the other sports programs gone Mad. For the kids with scholarships who couldnt attend college otherwise-how many of them end up with a usable education? Classes take a third place to games and practice and the classes themselves-garbage classes in the main. It is ridiculous.

To not make an example of Paterno would say too much about what we value most-money.

o

Lily,

I meant Penn State. Sorry.

o

patriciae, you've voiced what I've thought for quite some time now. Of what possible use is this sports obsession in high school and college? I don't think you will find this in any other country and I can't think of a single reason why we should have it. It's incredibly expensive, can cause crippling and sometimes deadly injuries, glorifies sport and teaches our youth to admire sports heroes rather than to focus on the true heroes who have made significant contributions to the world in the realm of science or the humanities. It's brawn over brain, and what place does that have in a college setting? It's something I've never understood.

o

When we travel in the States we are always taken with the size of the football stadiums at high schools never mind universities! You folk sure do love your football !!!

o

Has there been any thoughts about whether Mrs. Paterno knew what was going on? You would think her husband would have confided in her, but maybe not.

o

You folk sure do love your football !!!

Chase it is the love of money not football. Do you see that contract...3 million? Can you imagine if you can give someone a bonus of 3 mil what did that program pull into the school?

o

Local School District completes sports complex for $4.3 million.

Chase,

It's also about districts competing against each other to see who can build the biggest and best facility. It's ugly.

$4.3 million can educate a lot of students in poor districts.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 18:19

Paterno means paternal or fatherly in Spanish.

o

I hate the way football has taken over this country's colleges and universities. It's crazy. I live with a Penn State grad who has driven me nuts for many decades with PSU games. His life revolves around them which is why I hate football.

By the way someone else hates Paterno. The plane has been circling the campus for three days now saying "Take down the statue or we will." Happy Valley is getting paranoid on FB

o

The statue has been removed this weekend .

Here is a link that might be useful: Statue Removed

o

Bu by Paterno

Here is a link that might be useful: Joe Paterno statue taken down

o

If the movie massacre hadn't occurred this would be the news here for the next month as it has been all year. I'm glad it's gone. They knew it was coming because there has been a pilgrimage to the statue for picture taking all weekend. People were sobbing. Really? He was a football coach ,not a president or king ,and in the end his reputation was forever tarnished. Kids came first to Joe, but in the end it was a charade. Now they're, including my husband , the football fanatic, all worrying the Death penalty will be imposed tomorrow.

ALL this for one perverted child rapist. One man can bring down a university.

o

Paterno means paternal or fatherly in Spanish.

Same in Italian.

Another vowel-ending surname causing distress to italoamericani: Paterno, Arpaio, Trancredo.

o

The more we learn the more we realize what a disgrace he was and on this matter their can surely be no disagreement...

So enlighten me. What have we learned about Joe Paterno's involvement in this child sex scandal? I haven't followed it lately. I read today where they were taking down his statue. So Joe was involved in this too?

-Ron-

o

Likely nothing new learned, but Paterno was "an integral part of the act to conceal," according to former FBI Director Louis Freeh.

His (Paterno's) silence for eleven years was enabling. And the cover up is every bit as bad as the crime. Watergate should have taught us something.

o

Ron you did not have to follow this lately to understand, that Paterno was a friend of Sandusky. He knew he had a problem because he had knowledge of a prior incident of child abuse. When he was told about the final incident that took Sandusky down he did the least to stop the abuse of children. The final investigated report supports that he even influenced the decision to let Sandusky continue to rape children.

As you see how much power this Coach (Paterno) had all it would have taken was one word from him and Sandusky would have been a distant memory on the Penn State Campus. But he used his power to turn a blind eye to the abuse.

My opinion is that because they were disadvantage youth they were not worth his time and in his mind inconsequential "so what is they are being raped" it was not his problem they were not worthy of his time or influence to protect them because they had nothing to contribute to his fame or fortune.

o

What Paterno did was disgusting. Every bit as disgusting as what Sandusky did.

He knew Sandusky was raping children. How a human being can turn a blind eye to that and allow it to continue for one second, much less years, is beyond my understanding. He could not have been a human being with an ounce of compassion to allow that to happen. How anyone can have any compassion for a person that did that is also beyond me. So he ran a successful football program. Who cares? How does that compare to what he allowed to happen to those children?

The entire thing is disgusting. I have no tolerance for anyone that can defend that man. Not saying anyone here is doing that. Just venting.

o

It doesn't at Penn State will be suffering from this for years to come, as will the students that attend Penn State.

Penn State will now be remembered, not for what their wonderful football coach did do, but rather for what he didn't do and how he allowed sexual abuse, rape, molestation to happen by one of his assistants and how he allowed it to continue for years and years.

Just because he was seen as some kind of "football god" does not make him one, nor did it give him or the college the right to do what they did and ignore the realities of what was going on.

Nor did it give the college the right to negotiate, what appears to have been a huge pay off, to get Paterno to retire early.

He should have been fired on the spot with no negotiations, no extra pay, no nothing. He should have lost any and all pensions etc that he was entitled to.

Instead the disgusting facts are, he was paid off to leave, rewarded for what he did, compensated financially and that is obscene, to say the least.

Somehow, over the years, football has become some kind of god on the college campuses, and even in HS now. Nothing can happen to the football team, the coaches, etc. They are the gods, the perfect everything and nothing else matters.

The fact is, football is not god, the coaches are not gods, they are human beings and it's time this aura of perfection that surrounds anything and everything to do with football is ended and ended ASAP.

Time for a real hard look at what is going on, on our college and even HS campuses.

We send our children to school, to college for an education, not to support a football team and watch the football team reap the rewards as if they where the elite and everyone else on the campus is nothing more than lower class.

Football players, along with other top sports players, the basketball, the hockey, they get elite treatment, full scholarships, just because they are good with a football, can shoot a ball into a hoop, or out skate and outshoot someone on the hockey ice.

How many well deserving students where denied admission to the college because the sport kid got the place instead? How many kids didn't accept the admission offer to the college because they didn't get enough money in their financial aid package to afford to go because they where the academic kid and not the sport kid?

There is something very, very wrong, when colleges are giving admission to athletes at full 4 year scholarships because of sports and the deserving academic kid can't go because of the financial cost.

Priorities are so screwed up about education in this country it is really pathetic.

Maybe, just maybe, a little bit of this will change because of this disaster at Penn State.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 19:18

Professional sports teams are owned by big shots who put a lot of money into them and get a lot of money out of them, because legions of fans attend the games and pay big bucks to do so. The schools are catering to this just like other elements of the society that are the concern of influential millionaires. With the financial etc. sector of commerce having taken over the government pretty much the whole country is working for a segment of the business elite.

o

More to come...

Here is a link that might be useful: N.C.A.A. Plans

o

I just hope it's severe. Most people agree, but not here in PA where the rabid hero worship of Paterno still exists.

I only wish he hadn't died so he could see the ruin he brought to the university from his silence protecting the pedophile rapist to preserve the brand.

o

Amen, lily...

o

Trying to get people to focus their anger on Penn State (Sandusky and Paterno) will take the other players out of the limelight.

Sandusky did not act in a vacuum, nor was he the only one. He is part of a vast network.

Does anyone have a timeline? How far back?

o

Penn State has been hit very, very hard with sanctions from the NCAA

NCAA President Mark Emmert announced sanctions against Penn State University's football program Monday morning in light of the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal and the findings of the Freeh Report investigation.

The details of the punishment:
Four year postseason ban
10 initial scholarship losses and 20 per year for four years
$60 million fine
All wins from 1998-2011 vacated
Five year probationary period

Penn State football players will be allowed to transfer without sitting out a season.

The NCAA also reserves the right for further individual punishments after all criminal proceedings are finished.

The $60 million fine will go into an endowment for charitable programs that serve the victims of sexual abuse.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCAA Sanctions against Penn State

o

How many scholarships would they normally have? I mean, seeing the flood of players that come onto the field for every game.

o

They normally would have 25 scholarships...seems unfair to the aspiring athletes that had nothing to do with this.

"ll wins from 1998-2011 vacated" which means that Paterno is no longer the most "winning-est" coach in history which is the most meaningful of all the sanctions IMO.

o

Athletes have the option to transfer to another school or new ones may not choose to go to Penn State until sanctions are lifted.

This will certainly affect their ability to recruit talent.

$60 million fine - I wonder how much alumni will pour into the program to help them pay.

o

Don't worry, the alumni are bleeding blue right now ..I have four in my very immediate family. They won't be sending money for sure, but the money will pour in from the Paterno worshipers. I am SO happy with all the sanctions especially stripping Joe of all wins in that time frame.

For you non football people)(like me ) he was the winningest coach in history ..winning the title two short weeks before he was fired last fall. The irony. He would not leave ,got that big package of millions and perks . He stayed so he could win this title which is gone. I wish he was alive to see this today. And I wish the Paterno family would shut up and go away trying to defend him. There IS no defense covering up for your friend Jerry while he's raping boys in the PSU showers and taking them on Bowl trips and raping them them in hotel rooms.Joe KNEW!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here