Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
E-reading surpasses hard-cover book

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 6:33

reading for fiction. It seems that the writing is on the tablet (sorry, couldn't resist). I'm glad to live in perhaps the last age of the library. Are you an e-reader?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: E-reading surpasses hard-cover book

I have to admit, I'm not an e-reader. I read an average of three books a week, but I love the smell of books, I love going to the library. I'm sure eventually I'll cross over, just not yet.

o

I got a Kindle about six months ago and I love it! I borrow from the e-book section of our public library. I also take advantage of the free books from Amazon. I haven't bought a book yet because I have been enjoying the free ones thus far, but the prices on the e-books are pretty good.

I still have a hard copy library but it's mostly art and photography books, which you really can't enjoy as much on an e-reader.

o

I suspect I'll always love a good paperback...

o

I have an e-reader and I absolutely love it especially when we travel. I can take no end of books with me without the bulk and weight.

I predominately use it for fiction. Books like biographies and history I buy in hard cover so I can keep them and lend them.

o

No surprise there. I've had one for a couple of years and love it. I rarely buy books, I download them for free from the library. I also get a lot of the old classics through Project Gutenberg. I've read many more books on my ereader than I probably would if I had to carry a book around.

I keep about 45 books on my reader and it fits snuggly into my bag. I always have something to read.

Seeing someone carrying a hardback book onto an airplane........

o

No, I do not have an reader or Ipad and I'm a little surprised that the e readers now surpass hardcovers.

I love hardcovers, the feel, picking it up, and having them
on my shelves. When I see a person in an airport or waiting room with a hardcover I'm sometimes intrigued by a title. It's amusing to see a person grasp the edge of the page in anticipation of turning it, and see them turn it, you know they are engrossed in reading.

Not with an e reader.

However, I'm planning a solo trip for a week where I'll be hiking in the morning and activities during the day and will having nothing to do at night but read. So I guess I may go look at e readers this weekend--I don't have room to pack enough reading material for a week.

What's the best one, don't they have a no glare, backlit model now?
I didn't know you could download from a library.

Guess I need to get up to speed.

But I won't give up hardbacks.

o

You can be engrossed in reading with an e-reader - it's just a different way of doing it.

o

Also borrow from my digital library fir kindle. Just trading Gone Girl...the entire family id signed up for our libraries summer book club. We are there all the time.

o

I have been a e-reader for a long time. Mostly because of my travel job it was more convenient.

I had to drag my daughter kicking and screaming into the e-reader world. She has been a avid reader since she was 5 yrs old. The collection of children books I purchased for her as a child she still has and will I am sure try to push them on to her children.

She said there is nothing like the feel of a book in your hand vs a piece of plastic. But she is reading more from her Kindle that I got her for her birthday this year.

o

There's a retired English Professor who lives near us, who owns an old dairy. He runs around to all the estate sales in a 100 mile radius, buying up boxes of books, and has them for re-sale in the converted barn, the dairy, the assorted sheds, and half the house. Tens of thousands of the things, and more in storage sheds elsewhere.

I try not to go there, because I always end up carrying out a few sacks of books with a lighter wallet......

o

Daivid I often wonder what is going to happen one day when all written word is no longer in hard copy form.

It will be very easy to control what we read. Playing Friday the 13th bogyman music here as I look wide eyed and with fear of what could happen one day.

I do have a library of favorite books. Maybe they will be worth something one day after my death that my great grands can sell.

o

I've a small collection of old fishing books (Zane Grey) and old first edition westerns, books about hunting in Africa during the colonial days, then birding, plant id, gardening, then everything by Barbara Tuchman, and so on, but I do end up throwing out stuff that isn't worth keeping, like 30 year old biology text books.

o

Oh, Barbara Tuchman is one of the reasons I majored in early Renaissance art - A Distant Mirror is one of my all time favorite books.

o

I have a old Cosmopolitan magazine with Burt Reynolds Centerfold. lol

o

We are absolutely e-readers. We love our Kindles. From a homeschooling perspective, we can get many books for free, and I can have 2 kids reading the same book at once. Not to mention, a trip into town costs at least $10 roundtrip and now I can spend that $10 on more books. The few new releases I want to purchase, I can have downloaded right away and spend a wonderful night with a cup of coffee by my side and my Kindle in hand. The Kindle is also cheaper than new bookshelves for which I am running out of room and solid wood ones are prohibitively expensive.

One thing I disliked about my new Kindle Touch though is that the Scrabble game did not work on it and that was one of my guilty pleasures when I did not have the luxury of escaping into a book. I hope they release it for the touch soon.

o

I can just see it now - 500 or 1000 years from now our future selves will be rifling through our landfills finding old books and wondering - what are these? What are they written on? And not only that but finding examples of handwriting (which our kids are no longer taught in school) and trying to interpret it and wondering what it says. Perhaps we should another line to the Rosetta Stone to help out before it's too late.

I don't have an e-reader and still borrow from the library. The library is free and an e-reader is not.

o

You have to pay for gas to get to the library unless it's walking distance. Once you make the initial investment, e-readers could be free also. There are many free books to download and at your local e-library.

o

Since I bought ED a Kindle last year all his reading purchases have been E books. He goes through a lot of them. I still buy a lot of used books.

o

Interestingly, our library also has Kindles for loan. You can also check out e-books from the library system.

We still use the library system for some books. There are some books that I am not likely to want to read multiple times and there are some books I get from the library first and decide to purchase later on. We also still purchase some books used. But, I am also quite tickled when I found newer books on amazon free, too.

o

First I have to say that it helps to have libraries. I live in a benighted county that refuses to fund a library-we keep trying.

Reading is like breathing to me-I love the feel and look of a book,(I also love a "Distant Mirror" it lives on top the pile of books on the old loom bench next to my sofa) and I buy books all the time but I also worn out my first Kindle and had to get it replaced just before the warrenty went off-I have the DX and love it but you cant keep one finger on the pages where they have the genealogy stuff to keep up with who is who-forking around with bookmarks and search is a royal pain(I am presently reading in hard back about the lives of George III's 6 daughters none of whom he would allow to get married-weird) With librarians these days trained to toss out books that dont get read every year and my tastes running to old odd stuff the Kindle is a wonderful thing. I can get out of print books plus diaries and 18th C day books..wonderful. The battery lasts forever because there is no color. If I really love a book and it can be found in paper form I buy it. Because E books are so much cheaper than print I can buy more books-an addicts dream. I have the entire works of Henry James in my Kindle and since my kindle can hold 35,000 books there is still plenty of room for the works of Thackery or everything Wilkie Collins ever wrote-or Dickens. I can read some novel by James so obscure even I never heard of it and then when I am sick of his pathetic women and convoluted syntax I can go 'home' and pop into the point I left off in "Pillars of the Earth" Life is good.

o

I get both hard copies of books and kindle loans from my local county library system which is doing a very brisk business and I don't see it going anywhere soon . They also have wi-fi access , over a dozen computers for patrons to use ,newspapers, magazines , a copy machine for 10 cents a copy ,audio cds , dvds of movies and tv series some even in blu ray format and various functions for adults , seniors ,children ,and an occasion live band concert(summer gazebo outdoor concerts at the branch with the large lawn and gazebo) in the conference room as well as a newly released dvd movie showing once a week . You can reserve dvds,books, or audio cds online and get notified by email when it's there for you shipped to the branch closest to you . The local library today is much more than just books .

While e-readers are good for books they are a poor substitute for something as large as an actual magazine or newspaper as you only get a small fraction of the pictures in an e-zine or newspaper that you get in the hard copy of the same .

o

I read a lot of fiction. I received a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I love it. It was a big decision between the Kindle and the Nook, but I'm happy with my choice. My local library lets me download ebooks and there is a nice selection.

Amazon actually carries a number of free books. I am signed up through FB for several services that will bring them to my attention, but I believe there is a spot on Amazon to go to to look at all the free books. I have discovered several new authors that I like that I did not know about.

If you listen to audiobooks, check your local library's web page, they probably have them for download too.

Patricia, I had no idea that there was anywhere without a local library. What a shame!! Is it a matter of taxes? Is there another library that will let you be a "member" for a fee? (I'm not sure they do that, just a thought)

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2245146011

Here is a link that might be useful: free Kindle books

o

Lisa-yes, we can join local city libraries for a fee-not too much more than if I paid taxes for it but they dont want us since we tend to 'use more library services' than the townies do-that feels harsh. It is a tax thing and a dumb local population-years ago some one made a connection between taxes for fire departments and libraries-it isnt true that if we had a county library system it would in any way impact fire department funds but you might as well give up trying to convince people who remember this 'fact' from the past. They are pig ignorant about it. So it is a hopeless dilemma-we have an ignorant local pppulation who desperately need libraries but because we have an ignorant local popultion we will never get any. My e-reader is a blessing.

for people who like to listen to books-Kindle will read them to you-I assume tho other readers will as well.

o

Another kindle benefit is that you can download the Kindle program on your laptop or desktop (for reading during lunch hour at work). Then you can sync the furthest page read with the Kindle. I love that feature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here