Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you, or have you, been a groupie?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 6:42

And, if so, which group and how far would you go to be with the "band"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you, or have you, been a groupie?

LOL, you're conjuring up some old memories.

Never a groupie, but dated a couple of musicians from pretty well known bands. Almost married one.

o

Nope... never. I do know a few musicians, have attended a plethora of concerts, enjoy music very much, and my ex roadied for Golden Earring for a very short time, long ago. That's as close as I've gotten to the band.

o

totallyyy....and although never a dead fan I have discovered their joys in following Furthur..."c'mon children, come on clap you hands"...I do it for the peace and love (and twirling;)

I love music festivals...rock, southern, jam bands, blues...

o

No never

o

Nada.

Maybe if Mozart were alive.

o

On the other hand, I've always had a thing for hunky guys with long hair, so if I had been in more of a position to, I might have closely followed a few bands from the 80's.

Classical music makes me comatose, and country music is just wrong on so many levels... my opinions, of course.

I much prefer metal, rock, blues... and sometimes a little jazz.

o

Never a groupie but did do the videography for a well-known band ten years ago or so. I've met a few rock stars and am related to one but just don't have the groupie mentality.

Jodi, I used to not like country either but it's growing on me :)

o

I've never been a "groupie", but I've been a Deadhead most of my life. We're typically described as a "tribe". I never went too far out of my way to see the band, usually only the next state, but never missed a show here.

Last summer we saw Kreutzmann and Hart with their band "The Rhythm Devils". Fantastic show. The year before saw Mickey Hart with "The Global Drum Project". We also went to a Grateful Dead cover band, "Dark Star Orchestra" show last summer. It was pretty fun.

So, as they said, the music never stops.

My current screen saver is a photo of Jerry & Owsley. :)

o

Not to the point that I followed them around, but anywhere I've been over the years (different homes as well as duty stations), I've always gone to see Charlie Daniels. In fact, I met him once in Wallingfor, Ct., at the Oakdale Dinner Theater, where he was giving a performance.

o

Good grief no. But I've always been amused by the silly twits who are/were. It makes for some interesting spectating. LOL I just don't "get" the mentality. I don't do the celebrity thing. Spent a lot of time back stage in my youth but as a guest, not a groupie.

o

I'm with Demi - I might follow Mozart were he still alive and creating - Debussy, Bach, Chopin - all the greats, as I love classical music (not opera however) - Or Dan Fogelburg if he were alive. Or the Beatles if all were still alive.

Of course there is always the rolling stones. Rumor has it they are all alive but I've seen them on stage and I beg to differ.

I like a lot of alternative music, John Mayer is flat gifted - eclectic taste when it comes to music.

A groupie to none, it would never have occured to me.

o

No.....but I've had groupies though.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 2:06

A groupie to me is a woman who gets close to band members on tour in order to have sex with them.

o

Me and my buddy are headed out tomorrow night to hear the ex-bassist from Black Flag's band and other loud, thrashy, dirtbag rock bands. I try and do that at least once a month, but that's being a fan, not a groupie.

I've been starstruck a few times, most memorably when I realized at the Spaceland nightclub last year that the blonde I was chatting up was the Aussie mom from Lost. I just froze up in the middle of my sentence, then I slunk away with what shreds of dignity I had left. I could certainly imagine myself as Emile de Ravin's groupie -- or really, whatever she needed me to be. But I don't tend to idolize people much anymore, which seems a pre-condition for being a groupie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here