Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diagnosis of "ghetto booty"

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 7:46

You can't make this stuff up!

Truly amazing part is the doctor admitting what he said and not seeing anything wrong with it!

Here is a link that might be useful: ghetto booty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diagnosis of "ghetto booty"

The doctor should now realize how offensive his "diagnosis" was and offer a genuine apology...

o

I can't seem to load the video clip, but I couldn't view it anyway as I do not have sound on board my computer. Videos are just not the same without sound to hear what the subjects are saying.

I don't suppose there's text of this anywhere? In lieu of text, can someone give an abridged edition of the gist?

If I'm to understand by context, this has to do with the shape of a woman's rear end, no? With "booty" referring to the posterior... and "ghetto" referencing black... I'm assuming this is a short tale of some insensitive doctor's remarks about a woman's butt.

o

Here's an article with text, Jodi.

Another doctor who either graduated in the low end of his class or missed bedside manner 101.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wow just wow

o

They can be sent to universities and they can earn PhDs but but all that schooling still cant cure stupid.

o

Thanks, Duluth... I wasn't quite sure how to Google that one! ;-)

Actually, I didn't imagine it would even come with text, being a smaller story, such as it is.

I guess the term would be considered unflattering, and could be thought of as offensive coming from a professional... though, I don't know if I, personally, would go so far as to report the man to any authority for the faux pas.

I might, instead, call him out for such terminology right there on the spot, and remind him that most people are intelligent enough to translate a medical explanation for lower lumbar problems, and that "swayback" would cover it quite well. What he said might be construed as offensive to his patients, and could actually be taken as an insult to various segments of the population. He may wish to rethink his use of slang.

I, myself, struggled as a youth through a lot of teasing by my fellow schoolmates for having what was at the time a rather unpopular shape... and what would become part of the source of much back pain. Due to my own genetic inheritance, I have a "swayback"... so great that when I'm prone on a table, one can actually slide their entire arm under my lower back without making much contact with my body... a nightmare for my chiropractor, but something I can't change.

Since Twiggy and Barbie were two of the models by which many females measured themselves at the time, most girls were happy to be slim and have more boyish figures... while I was stuck with a feature that wouldn't gain much public acceptance until Jennifer Lopez stepped out onto the stage.

This issue could be about more than just a "racial" type of slur... it's also about the female form, and how we're conditioned from youth to seek a certain physical standard, one that's almost impossible for the majority to attain or live up to. Which also brings up having self esteem, self worth, and bucking what are ingrained social and cultural patterns.

But it seems to be part of the ongoing subject of racism and prejudices we've been discussing as of late, more than anything. That this slang bit of offense would be uttered by a professional... it's wrong on more than just one level.

o

I believe Demi has that condition too, Jodi, she can understand the issues which that specific back problem can cause you.

I don't have scoliosis but the space between my lower back and my behind while laying flat is so deep that it will cause immediate discomfort when in a prone position. When in the reclined position in the dentist chair, I have to raise and deeply bend my knees with my heels almost touching my behind in order for that small arched area to settle into the chair or due to the discomfort, I cant be reclined.
It has caused problems because his assistants have forgotten I have done so and without looking will swing the instrument tray over, hit my knees and the instruments go flying. But I dont have the scoliosis you two have, Im not sure what it is. Only lying flat gives me discomfort though, until my recent sciatic nerve back issues began I never had back pain.

Im doing much better now and have now progressed to deeper weight training at a gym to further strengthen the back muscles which I thought were in pretty good shape to begin with, darn it. Ive done light weight training for decades along with power walking on my treadmill six days a week.
The heavier weights along with more back and side muscles being worked out has helped a lot, but there are still days where I have issues. I cant get anyone to tell me if sciatic nerve issues are a chronic problem once it develops or if is one that can be resolved through the specific proper and regular exercise.
Its a very frustrating experience every time I attempt to discuss the issue with any professional. It strikes me as a yes or no answer, assuming one is doing exactly the proper back maintenance as required, but I walk away without a definitive answer every time. One of these days I might ask for a yes or no reply but I dont want to appear rude or ungrateful for what information they are trying to give me.

o

Strengthening back strap and other muscles that help hold our spines in place and learning to lift and bend properly can take some of the pressure off our skeletons... and I think a good chiropractor can definitely help keep our bones in alignment, closer to where they should be.

Although, I've been told that there is no cure for the rapid degeneration I suffer from, due mainly to injuries and to the effects of Lupus, and there's only so much my chiropractor can do to keep everything in place.

I don't know if there's surgery available that would correct such severe issues, though I don't think I would opt to go under the knife unless I were already paralyzed, as a last resort. I've only heard of one person who was actually better post-back surgery, and I have no idea what his pain tolerance is, what the surgery consisted of, how bad off he was prior to surgery, or what he considers "better". Most of the people I know with back issues who have opted for surgery are way worse off for the experience, and most of them regret having surgery.

I would certainly not wish any of the accompanying pain of back issues on anyone else... even Demi. ;-)

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you both have to suffer with such pain from spinal abnormalities or injuries. Back pain is some of the worst.

In fact, there was a thread on the Conversation side in which people were describing their physical issues, and I was taken aback by how many of us are actually rather disabled, and what the issues consisted of. There's a lot of combined suffering going on, I can see... too much.

Seriously, though... looking at my x-rays is a study in the absurd... one would automatically think they were looking at them the wrong way. My neck curves in the opposite direction of everyone else's, and while my lower lumbar region is out of alignment, and my hips won't stay in proper position, I think some of the issue is more inherent; I was simply born with a derriere that gives new meaning to the word "booty"!

I have found that having good lumbar support in vehicles and chairs I spend any time sitting in is one way to relieve some of the pressure.

I do worry about my kids and grandkids having eventual upper back issues related to carrying such heavy backpacks for school... but that's another subject in and of itself.

o

Posted by mylab123 z5NW (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 13:17

I believe Demi has that condition too, Jodi, she can understand the issues which that specific back problem can cause you.

Mylab, my scoliosis was caused by a mild case of polio, according to my doctors. The curve at age 17, right before I had my spinal fusion, was 73 degrees. It was and is a compensating S curve, and the doctor was only able to correct it to 35 degrees. I do not know why why he didn't straighten it out more, but I know he was upset by it and took special care of me for years afterwards, especially after the problem with being allergic to the metal in the rod, the removal of the rod after about a year, and the subsequent staph infections and muscle seizures.

I am still 2 inches shorter than I was supposed to be if my spine was straightened, so one shoulder is still higher than the other, hip, etc. and now where the fourteen fused vertebrae have bone growing between them, pressing on nerves. It is imperative that one keeps the back and core muscles strong by lifting weights and exercising so that the body does not compensate for weakness with more calcium deposits.

Many, many people have mild scoliosis--up to around 12 degrees is considered within the range or normalcy and does not require surgery or a brace. It's still best to lift weights and stay in good shape.

Scoliosis does not contribute to nor prevent one from having a "ghetto booty" as far as I know.

Scoliosis

o

My other profession is Deep Tissue body work since 1985. A simple explanation of how the muscles and fascia affect us is a device invented by Bucky Fuller called a tensegrity structure. You have seen them in toy stores, they are sticks held together by strings where none of the sticks touch each other but the structure, a ball, stays together. Our bodies are similar in that the bone ideally should not touch each other.

When muscles get tight they hold or move bones to where they should not be. Chiropractors put the bones back in place and the tight muscles pull them out of place again. Soft tissue work assists the chiropractic work by relaxing these muscles. The usual suspect in lordosis is the iliopsoas group that originates along the lumbar area of the spine and crosses the pelvis attaching to the lesser trochanter of the femur. Working on this muscle group helps relieve the problem.

Also sciatic problems are not always pinching of the nerve in the spine and can be a result of the rotator muscles beneath the gluts that turn the upper leg. The sciatic nerve goes between two of the six muscles there and they can be tight enough to pinch it and cause pain. I used to work in a chiropractor's office and he said it helped to have the soft tissue work for keeping alignment in clients.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 15:34

Yes Jodi we all have/had "bone problems", how many of you have been told you have "ghetto booty"?

I would guess "nada"....

I am glad that this doctor and a recent poster say the things they do, it bolsters the argument that racism is alive and well in the "land of the free".

Keep talking ...

o

Agreed ohiomom,

And odds are he and his friends not only see nothing wrong with this attitude still, I can imagine the conversation after work and a couple drinks. Not only would they agree the attitude is normal, but may be saying horrid things as to the reason this patient has brought it up. " Just out to take my money through a lawsuit etc." Unlikely they'll ever get it, the problem is how much has society manged to help their children move away from this racism.

I'm the owner of a Bubble Butt. Apparently the white term. It's just the way my body was made. Contrary to a series of "posture teachers", it is not laziness. Look at the Olympic gymnasts and figure skaters. You'll see lots of bubble butts. While the lower back does sway inwards more than the majority of folks, this is not an 'illness' that needs to be corrected.

It also gives us a more rounded tummy because if we have a swayed in back and a flat stomach, there would be no space for organs.Took me years to understand that. My mother never did and called me fat,strongly controlled my access to food though I was underweight. A lifetime of food issues due to her ignorance.

This post was edited by plaidbird on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 16:32

o

Don, part of my chiropractic regimen involves coming home to a wonderful deep tissue massage issued by my husband, who is quite studied in many arts... and he works the tightness out of my muscles so that some won't compensate for others and pull me further out of alignment. Pressure point therapy helps, too.

I wouldn't have to visit the chiropractor if my husband wasn't afraid to work on my neck area... but he's afraid of applying too much pressure as my neck is really messed up.

I do think that deep tissue massage should be a part of the chiropractic experience... it would really help a lot of people get more out of their visits.

Flat stomach? What's that? I've never had a flat stomach, no matter how much I weigh, how much I exercise... along with a larger posterior and swayback comes a stomach that will never be completely flat.

It's not a matter of standing up straight... as straight as I stand is as straight as I am able to stand...

I would have to say that the most comfortable position to sleep in is on my side, curled up in the fetal position... how about you ladies?

Ohiomom, I think it's very poor for a professional to utter such things to a patient... and I can see where many people would be totally offended.

I'm probably less offended because I've learned to let most insults roll off my back. I figure if someone insults me, they must have issues.

But it's this sort of story that speaks to the enduring racism within our society. Why did the doctor think it was okay to use such slang with a patient?

o

"But it's this sort of story that speaks to the enduring racism within our society. Why did the doctor think it was okay to use such slang with a patient?"

I was originally going to entitle this thread, "Ghetto Booty: White Cluelessness".

Though I don't think most Caucasians in our society are this clueless--nor do I think racism is limited to Causacians. But these people do exist and see nothing wrong in their words or deeds.--Frightening.

o

I'll take a different view to most of you. The term has been in the lexicon for a long time. I remember my niece, 20 years ago, being surprised her ancient Mom and Aunt knew what it meant. It would not surprise me in the slightest to hear it used commonly as slang on college campuses. Since doctors spend much of their life in one college class or another, why wouldn't he use it?

I might wind up laughing to hear the term in a doctor's office, but I don't think I would be offended. It is perfectly descriptive.

o

Certainly one may be exposed to LOTS of innovative, derrogatory, and offensive language on a college campus. Doesn't mean you get to direct it towards your patients when providing a medical diagnosis.

Lots of naughty words and phrases have been in the English language for centuries. What if doctors just stopped using the Latinate words for reproductive parts and behaviors and just started using the good ol' Anglo-Saxon equivalents commonly heard on high school and college campuses. Pretty sure most people would be offended. But that wouldn't even be racial.

So, if the doctor were just trying to be all cool with his slang, think he would have diagnosed any white woman with "ghetto booty"?! No, but this idiot doctor still is confused why the term would be offensive to a black woman.

o

What I don't understand is why he chose that terminology, when "swayback" is something more people would understand.

I've never had an issue grasping what my doctor says... he explains in plain English... and he doesn't need to use slang to interpret medical results.

o

There are all sorts of commonly used slang terms by a portion of the general public for certain parts of the body. Slang terms which would be as, or more offensive to the patient, *depending upon the patient* and totally unacceptably to be used by the physician - therefore the correct terminology from the person who spent all that time going to school would be expected to be always used when in a professional setting.

What a strange point of argument, Sleepless.

I did get some pinpoint deep tissue massage, using two fingers, deep into the muscle. She would slightly wriggle those fingers and omg did that burn like a son of a gun - but it only lasted a very short while, then she would say that she felt the release, stop the wriggling and amazingly enough the pain I came in with would be gone. Through that, I discovered that deep tissue massage HURTS, I had always ignorantly thought it would feel good.

But it works, at least it did with me for the very few moments it was necessary to have it done to me. I would hate to have to have it done for longer than it was or all over more muscles, I don't think I could have tolerated it much longer, it was a deeply burning sensation.

I dont have a round bottom, I could use more than what I have as it tends to be on the flat side, and my stomach is also. flat. However one hip is a bit lower than the other and I wonder if that has something to do with that hollow space between the small of my back and my buttocks. It is not noticeable but I have to choose clothes with a belt carefully or they will be ill fitting.

Jodi, absolutely cannot lay on my back, not even for just a few minutes - always a side sleeper.

o

I couldn't say for certain in your case, Mylab, but an x-ray from a good chiropractor will show whether or not your spine is out of alignment, and possibly causing one hip to appear lower than the other.

I have a friend who has a similar issue, and when she begins to drag, or shuffle one foot while walking, it's a sign that she needs to go in for an adjustment. One of her hips appears to be lower than the other, and it causes her to walk out of sync, slightly shuffling the one foot. About a day or two after an adjustment, she walks normally again, picking both feet up at the same level.

Of course, that may not be your issue, at all... only a doctor or chiropractor will be able to tell for certain, but it would be a good thing to have checked.

Yes, when muscles are tight it can burn a bit during a deep tissue massage... I go through this on a regular basis. But it helps so much to have the muscles loosened, the tendons in place, and everything as it should be... otherwise, one side tends to over-compensate and it leads to tight, painful muscles, and possible movement of the vertebrae out of alignment.

And as we age, it seems that our bones no longer sit exactly where they should, or it could be due to physical trauma, or injury, and our muscles and tendons try to compensate in the only way they know how... by tightening or moving out of position... and it seems to happen more frequently than it did when we were young and in better shape.

Of course, not all chiropractors are created equally... and it pays to find a good one. I love mine, and the funny thing is, he's just a little guy! He practically has to climb up on the table to twist me and perform the movements that realign me! But he's good at what he does, and it makes such a huge difference in how I feel. I wish I could afford to see him on a more regular basis.

And I'm extremely lucky that my husband is so proficient in what he does... his knowledge really helps in keeping me in one piece! I have him massage or work on pressure points any time I feel muscle pain... which is quite often, due to the poor shape my bones are in.

Since I feel it first hand, I can wholly sympathize with those posters who suffer with back issues and other types of chronic pain. I wish you all more better days than bad ones, and hope you each can find some sort of relief.

Yes, any doctor should have a plethora of terms from which to draw an explanation, without resorting to words that could be hurtful or sound unprofessional.

I've never liked the word "ghetto"... it makes poverty seem like a dirty thing, in my opinion.

o

About the only time I hear someone use Ghetto is when describing something jury-rigged, homemade, improvised or tacky.

o

Oh, what a painful subject, me sharing many of the described problems now compounded by advanced arthritis. I too swear by chiropractics and massage, the latter being essential to retrain muscles to behave and ignore oddities in the back and neck.

o

She said, "The next person might not take it as bad as I do and he may find himself in a bad situation."
Going to the media and broadcasting his name , picture
and clinic location wasn't a bad situation for him?

I can't imagine why he felt compelled to use that term to her. It was offensive and very unprofessional.
Saying that....I have had Dr's in my long life time say things without thinking and caught me so off guard I couldn't even respond.
But I also think some people anymore are just waiting for another to make a: faux pas
A faux pas is a socially awkward or tactless act, especially one that violates accepted social norms, standard customs, or the rules of etiquette. The expression ... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faux_pas

I use to be outraged when another was offended but I think there is so much made out of situations in public now that could easily be handled between the offender and the offended that I am losing my soap box mad.

As my mother use to say, "One must choose their battles."
I really don't think it was enough to take to CNN.
Just my opinion.
I'm not saying it wasn't offensive. It was......very but not enough for her to go to the News.

o

Well, just maybe the cretin from Tennessee should be dealt a "bad situation".

But we get it here! It was obviously her fault as she has just been waiting for this singular 'faux pas' for all these years.

This post was edited by njoasis on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 17:32

o

And the core of the problem according to Dr. Sweo, “I think I do understand why her feelings were hurt but I don’t understand what’s offensive about it.”

No, I don't think he understands at all. Maybe the state will see if the complaint is founded and forward any information to the Board of Medical Examiner's office on the off chance they can explain it to him.

o

City: "I can't imagine why he felt compelled to use that term to her. It was offensive and very unprofessional."

Agree.

"I really don't think it was enough to take to CNN.
Just my opinion.
I'm not saying it wasn't offensive. It was......very but not enough for her to go to the News."

Agree with that, too.

Also, I doubt this would have any traction at all if the doctor and (former) patient had the same skin color.

o

Elvis, I sincerely doubt that a black physician would be as clueless as to offer "ghetto booty" as a medical diagnosis to a black woman. If you don't get this, that's a problem for more than the good doctor.

"... not enough for her to go to the News".

She should have sued his white as/ first!

o

" I'm not saying it wasn't offensive. It was......very but not enough for her to go to the News."

"Also, I doubt this would have any traction at all if the doctor and (former) patient had the same skin color. "

That any professional, of any colour , should talk to any patient, of any colour , using gutter language like that is totally unacceptable...period , full stop.

......and for anyone to defend it in any way is quite remarkable......and telling.

o

......and for anyone to defend it in any way is quite remarkable......and telling

I'm not sure how anyone could have gotten the impression I was defending the doctor.
It was very offensive and she should have taken it up with him instead of the News Media.
There are a lot worse offences other than a butt description that need to be addressed.
As I said.....she should have told the Dr. how she felt instead of CNN.

I find it quite remarkable that most seem to think letting the media handle this one is the way to go.......and telling.

o

Oasis; "Elvis, I sincerely doubt that a black physician would be as clueless as to offer "ghetto booty" as a medical diagnosis to a black woman."

Actually, I think cluelessness is equal opportunity, but that's my opinion. If you think black physicians are more sensitive than white ones, that's fine for you.

Chase: "That any professional, of any colour , should talk to any patient, of any colour , using gutter language like that is totally unacceptable...period , full stop.

......and for anyone to defend it in any way is quite remarkable......and telling."

I'm sure you're not referring to me.

This phrase has got to be upgraded: "...and telling." It's become trite to the point of worthlessness. Just sayin'.

o

Where is that darn dead horse so's I can take a hit on it?

o

I am so confused. We have a lot of topics about how the MS media will not report everything. But......Now there are things that some do not want reported? What is that about?

o

•Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 21:46

"I am so confused. We have a lot of topics about how the MS media will not report everything. But......Now there are things that some do not want reported? What is that about?"

"I am so confused."

There, there.

o

"I'm sure you're not referring to me."

I wouldn't be so sure........

o

"I'm sure you're not referring to me."

I wouldn't be so sure........

o

"I wouldn't be so sure........"

I thought as much.

o

Oh, STOP it already, Elvis!

o

Is Elvis the dead horse to which I referred?

o

Inappropriate for him to say, and unprofessional.
Ridiculous for her to go to the news with it.

As a side note, I always thought I had "ghetto booty" or "junk in the trunk" or "bubble butt" and my spine seemed to curve as to support it.

Practicing yoga has taught me I've been holding my back/posture incorrectly all my life. I make a conscious effort to tuck my pelvis and hold my shoulders back and it's made such a difference. My muscles just weren't used to holding me up correctly and it's taken a bit to strengthen them.

Mylab, I second Jodi's statement to go to the chiropractor for your lower hip. It may just be a simple realignment that's needed. You can also buy or make blocks (like a doorstop, but the size of your foot) and use them to help realign yourself at home.

Sleepless, thank you for taking a different view. I don't agree, but I did like considering it. I do think that if the Dr. and patient had a rapport this statement could have been lighthearted/funny (in the right circumstances).

I had a doctor say he was going to put on some "mood music" prior to a PAP and I turned him in to the board because I thought it was SO inappropriate. Someone else may have thought it was funny, I didn't. Better to err on the side of caution.

o

This phrase has got to be upgraded: "...and telling." It's become trite to the point of worthlessness. Just sayin'.

So if something happens to get repeated, because it happens to be the truth, you ignore it (becomes worhtless)? Do you happen to consider its merits first? Or just because it gets repeated by people you don't agree with, it's worthless? Just askin'.

o

"Actually, I think cluelessness is equal opportunity, but that's my opinion. If you think black physicians are more sensitive than white ones, that's fine for you."

Well, actually, I did not say that, but you did. (I know, it's more fun to make a straw man argument but try to stick to the facts.)

Still, I don't think a black doctor would provide a diagnosis of "ghetto booty" to one if his/her black patients, but this clueless, white one (consciously, unaware of his own racism), did.

As for those of you repulsed by the patient going to the news, I would suggest the following. If in retrospect, the doctor had been contrite regarding his vulgar, and racially charged diagnosis, then you might have had an argument. But here, he remained recalcitrant throughout not admitting having made any error of judgement or being the least bit offensive. At a time of national discussion of internalized, unconscious racism, that most certainly IS news worthy.

Talk amongst yourselves, I am outta here.

o

"So if something happens to get repeated, because it happens to be the truth, you ignore it (becomes worhtless)?"

Obviously not. The way you insinuate your own meaning into another's (mine) statement is very "telling," though.

o

I still don't see where it could be considered offensive. It has been a part of the language for years. It is very descriptive . Everyone knows what it means unless they were in a coma over the past 25-30 years. I stopped being embarrassed when I heard it before "Shake your booty" became popular.

I think this is just selective outrage from a woman who doesn't want to lose her image of herself as a svelte, younger woman. She is in denial.

o

Of course it's offensive.More or less stating black women have fat arses, I don't see how more rude this man could be....and given the current rows surfacing in the US, I would have thought a bit more introspection and sensitivity might have been appropriate.

o

The way you insinuate your own meaning into another's (mine) statement is very "telling," though.

I guess you missed the question marks at the end of my sentences.

o

Sleepless: "I still don't see where it could be considered offensive."

And that's fine. I do think I would have been taken aback and probably offended because he was making light of my condition. I would have dealt with that right then and there, and embarrassed the heck out of him. I do think she went too far; seems everyone's a drama queen these days. Watch her sue...

o

Sleepless maybe you don't see how it could be offensive but the person it was said to did. Highly unlikely those words would ever be used to you.

We have no point of reference on those words...they are only words to most of us . We cannot possibly understand what they might mean to a black woman.

The word ghetto alone is offensive...even to me

o

Chase: "The word ghetto alone is offensive...even to me."

On the other hand, i don't find the word "ghetto" offensive; just depressing. The word evokes a severly depressed habitat to me. I don't picture it inhabitated by any particular color of people. Actually, the first thing that comes to mind is the Jewish ghettos during Nazi Germany, which I have seen in photos.

I've never heard the phrase "ghetto booty" before. I call it a "bubble butt." I'm pretty sure though that had I said "ghetto butt" or "bubble butt" out loud in the locker room in my 95% black high school sophomore year, I would have gotten some most unwelcome attention from my classmates.

o

Being someone that has been around kids of all walks of life I have heard it all...

Iron board Azzz
Ghetto Butt
houchy mamma
Trailer Park trash
and on and on......All terms to put down a race of people mainly females. I bet he would not have dared utter those words to a man.

She should slap him with a lawsuit and make him regret he did not use his medical training language.

o

I am always amazed at the attitude of people -- it's not offensive to me, so it shouldn't have been offensive to them.

If it was offensive to someone, it was offensive. Period. End of story.

The fact that you cannot understand why it's offensive is your problem, not that of the person that was offended.

o

"If it was offensive to someone, it was offensive. Period. End of story."

I'm offended by that comment.

Covers just about every single thing that someone might say.

It's a tightrope we're always asked to walk. One little slip and you're dead.

Hay

o

Have you ever noticed that almost every personal insult a person uses about a man refers in some way to his mother?

I find that insulting.

o
RE: Definition of "ghetto booty"

If it is so insulting, why have I been told for many years that it is not an insult and I should lighten up?

o
RE: Diagnosis of extreme swayback?

Chase, I have an extreme swayback that has been obvious since I was a small child. I was teased no end. Even buying clothing was difficult. Mother either made everything from scratch or altered them. I was constantly told to stand up straight. My gym/health teachers really thought I was just slouching. The strain to achieve the posture others thought I should have resulted in many tears and much pain. I spent hundreds of futile hours in useless exercises trying to correct what others saw as a personal failure which was actually a kind of physical defect from conception. Don't tell me I don't understand. Now such things are treated in infancy with braces and casts.

Blacks seem to have a genetic tendency to this condition. I always feel sorry for those I see who have it because I know it is painful and just about untreatable in adults. Maybe it is a good thing that so many men seem to find it attractive in young women but I bet that given a choice many of those women would lose it in a flash. I've never heard that it was found attractive in men.

You don't know what you are talking about, especially if you are fortunate enough to have a nice, normal spine.

o

Sleepless,

I am acutely aware of how debilitating back and spinal problems can be and have great empathy for anyone who experiences them.

It is precisely because I understand the seriousness of chronic back issues that I find this Doctor's comments insensitive and boorish. In my view, comments such as his, especially from a professional, trivialize this womans condition and are insulting and disrespectful.

It's the language I have issue with not the condition.

o

You can either try to have a sense of humor about an untreatable condition or you can weep and moan and make everyone one know how unfair life is. I prefer the former.

o

As far as I'm concerned, it sure sounded unprofessional at the very least, and it could very well have been extremely offensive to the patient, depending on how she viewed it.

I probably wouldn't be that bothered, but that's because I don't let things bother me. I might have confronted the doctor right then and there, so he was made aware and maybe wouldn't use the term again, insulting another patient.

Ah, Marshallz... it's no picnic getting old, and especially not when you have a boatload of physical issues! I'd like to stop aging, now, please. ;-)

o

Good for you Sleepless, that is the best way to approach it.

That approach to chronic pain has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that a white man with a PhD in medicine was unable to use proper medical language in order to explain her problem to the patient, and instead resorted to a slang term which is degrading in the opinion of a great deal of women of all races, including this particular black women.

He was audacious enough to feel no need to make the effort to make amends with a proper apology.

She SHOULD sue and have a black mark reflected on his record - if he is unable to grasp how offensively unprofessional he was, her attorney along perhaps with his employers can put her complaint against him into a language he *will* understand.

His reaction to this woman makes me wonder if his graduating rank was last in his class. People all across the country are unknowingly stuck with all of them, perhaps this poor woman ended up with one, too.

o

ghetto booty definition

n.
big buttocks on a black woman. : Look at that ghetto booty on that mama.

First I've ever heard of it. But then the whole "booty" thing referring to someone's derrière is new to me as well - maybe the last ten years. I find both terms offensive and demeaning.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 23:54

The offensive part is the inclusion of "ghetto", as though black people don't live anywhere else.

o

The White House is hardly "ghetto"... ;-)

o

Yo If you've gots ta be upset 'boutsomethin`, dis here iz as pimp-tight as anythin` Ya' know what I'm sayin'? - See more at: http://joel.net/EBONICS/Translator#sthash.q6EPpud1.dpuf

Hay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here